What is your age and asset allocation ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
koryg75

Re: What is your age and asset allocation ?

Post by koryg75 »

Ages: 46/44

Recently went from 90% stocks/10% bonds to 80% stock/10%bonds/10 % real estate. Will go to 60% stocks at age 50 and retire at 55 unless I start to like working by then.
ruralavalon

Re: What is your asset allocation and age, are you retired?

Post by ruralavalon »

Engaging in sloth wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:06 pm [Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

DH 60 DW 61, both retired. AA 30/70 (cash not bonds). DW has pension. Strongly considering increasing equity position to an AA of 40/60.

How about you folks? What is your asset allocation and age, are you retired?

Greatly looking forward to your responses fellow Bogleheads.

Thank you :D
Age 75, retired, our asset allocation is 50/50 and had been 50/50 since age 63, with no cash allocation, and no pension or annuity.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

79 and 73. Comfortable financially with our portfolio, SS and a small pension.
51/49 currently. Could be more aggressive but do not have need to do so.

Tim
Fisherman8

Post by Fisherman8 »

Age 38
Roth IRA: Target Date Fund (90/10)
Roth 401K: 100% Stocks

Taxable Account:
80% VTWAX
20% Cash (Settlement Fund)
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

Ages 48 and 45 for my wife and I.

AA is 70/28/2

30% in ROTH IRA's
65% in 401/403's
5% in taxable/cash/misc
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

I'm surprised at the number of responses from people age 50+ who have such high asset allocations in equities (stocks). Perhaps I have an antiquated mindset, but I thought that after one turns 50, common wisdom is that a portfolio should be over 50% in cash (e.g. t-bills, CDs).

Have fears of inflation and low interest rates caused those over 50 to be more aggressive in their asset allocation? Has the rapid recovery of the last sharp downtown in March 2020 made a high cash portfolio less attractive?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm I'm surprised at the number of responses from people age 50+ who have such high asset allocations in equities (stocks). Perhaps I have an antiquated mindset, but I thought that after one turns 50, common wisdom is that a portfolio should be over 50% in cash (e.g. t-bills, CDs).

Have fears of inflation and low interest rates caused those over 50 to be more aggressive in their asset allocation? Has the rapid recovery of the last sharp downtown in March 2020 made a high cash portfolio less attractive?
I have never thought that a large cash allocation was wise, in my opinion this has nothing to do with current interest rates or the rapid recovery from last year's stock market crash.

The allocations reported here seem similar to past surveys of allocation versus age. Stock allocation versus age -- 2007, 2011, and 2015, link. There was no significant change in the slope, link.

Perhaps someone with time and good math skills will tabulate the allocations stated here, and do a regression based on this 2000-01 thread.

However recent correlations seem to show that a cash allocation is more suitable than previously. Morningstar (4/13/2021) "Which Bonds Provide the Biggest Diversification Benefits?", link. " . . . it is notable that cash has recently looked a bit better than Treasuries from the standpoint of diversification benefits."
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm I'm surprised at the number of responses from people age 50+ who have such high asset allocations in equities (stocks). Perhaps I have an antiquated mindset, but I thought that after one turns 50, common wisdom is that a portfolio should be over 50% in cash (e.g. t-bills, CDs).

Why would you want to have more than half of your portfolio in cash at 50? I’m especially interested in the answer because I turned 50 a couple of days ago and I’m actually considering increasing my exposure to equities to 75/25.
Being wrong compounds forever.
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

Some folks simply have a higher risk tolerance, hence, they have a higher stock AA regardless.

But in some case, if the portfolio is sizable, then the actual dollar amount of the fixed income asset becomes more pertinent. For example, if one’s portfolio has $5 million. 20% of it is $1 million. If your annual expense is $100k, that would provide you 10 years of expenses to ride out the market downturn. So a 80/20 AA in this case is actually not that risky when you look at it from the perspective of “how many years of annual expenses does your fixed income asset can pay for”
tonysk

Post by tonysk »

Ages 63, 64
Retired 4 1/2 yrs
COLA Pension that covers ~80% expenses
AA 70% stocks, 5% REIT, 25% Bonds

Will take SS @ FRA
r.walker

Post by r.walker »

I'm a bit of an outlier - 66, single, still working. All equities since starting to invest about 35 years ago.

80% VTSAX, 20% VFWAX
5 yrs expenses in cash reserves against sequence of return risk - cash is less than 4% of total financial assets.
SS @ 70
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

FelixTheCat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:55 pm My AA is based on The Boglehead's Guide to Retirement Planning. The book asks how much can you lose in a down market? Then double it for the amount in stocks. For example, in a severe crash I can mentally lose 25% of my money. My stock portion of my AA is 50%.
I did the same. 50/50 at 57.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

I've never held any amount of cash, other than incidental amounts leftover from trades. When I was 56-57 I started de-risking my PF with bond funds (I'll be 71 in August, have no pension). This went on for around 10 years til I got to 30/70.

I don't know why anyone would want 50% cash today . . . ? Unless rates get back to the old days, when MMs were paying 5%.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Why would you want to have more than half of your portfolio in cash at 50? I’m especially interested in the answer because I turned 50 a couple of days ago and I’m actually considering increasing my exposure to equities to 75/25.

Excluding the stock market drop-off in March 2020, I think people over 50 have memories of the Great Recession of 2008 and how long it took the market to recover from it, as well as October 1987. Websites of "financial planners" suggest at age 50, a portfolio should be 50/50. I know this forum eschews "financial planners" and embraces a do it yourself approach that people have been successful with.
Johnathon Livingston

Post by Johnathon Livingston »

47 yo. 90/10
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

jay22 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am 38 years old. 100% equities and 18 months expenses saved in cash.

Current portfolio is 60% VTI, 30% QQQ, and 10% (ARKK+ARKF).
I used to exclude EF from AA but now consider cash as part of my fixed income allocation. It seems to make more sense that way.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:56 pm
jay22 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am 38 years old. 100% equities and 18 months expenses saved in cash.

Current portfolio is 60% VTI, 30% QQQ, and 10% (ARKK+ARKF).
I used to exclude EF from AA but now consider cash as part of my fixed income allocation. It seems to make more sense that way.
I only consider cash when determining net worth, or as an emergency fund, and don't include it in my AA. Cash doesn't generate dividends or capital gains, and the amount only fluctuates when I spend it. It is however more subject to inflation so I don't keep a lot of it sitting around.
aln10788

Post by aln10788 »

32 years old. 100 percent stocks. If I work until 55 my pensions is 75 percent of my final pay. I don't intend to invest in bonds until 50 at the earliest due to pension.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

DTalos wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm I'm surprised at the number of responses from people age 50+ who have such high asset allocations in equities (stocks)
I mean it depends when you are planning to retire. If you still have 10 years until retirement at 50 then 50%+ in fixed income is likely overkill. If you are 50 and you are retiring in 3 years with more than enough, then that makes some sense.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

55 and 50 yo
FIRE last year
60/40, <1% cash
Pension covers ~60% of annual spending
Aged Maduro

Post by Aged Maduro »

42 years old.

65% stocks
20% investment real estate
10% bonds
5% buried treasure

Arrr...
Patoot

Post by Patoot »

49 years old.
69% equities.
22% bonds.
8% cash.
1% crypto.

I apply the “lazy rebalance” method when my allocation is >5% out of whack.
ziggny

Post by ziggny »

34 and 33 yrs.

Cash Reserves representing approx 8 months' worth of spending, which is equivalent to roughly 5% of our total portfolio.

Of the non-cash, we are 100% equities, split as follows:
  • 80% US (target of 65% Total Market, 15% SCV)
  • 20% international (target of 10% emerging markets, 10% small cap, although ability to execute this is limited by current 401k plans, so we have a slug of Total International)
Non-cash assets are allocated roughly 60% taxable, 35% pre-tax (401k), 5% post-tax (Roth + HSA)
mkc

Post by mkc »

59 and 60. FIREd a while back, no pensions
50% equities
48% bond
2% cash

Rebalance when 5% or more out of whack
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

vested1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 am I only consider cash when determining net worth, or as an emergency fund, and don't include it in my AA. Cash doesn't generate dividends or capital gains, and the amount only fluctuates when I spend it. It is however more subject to inflation so I don't keep a lot of it sitting around.
I think the perspectives differ on whether you look at cash as part of fixed income or not. And by cash I am talking about checking & savings, and the latter does have interest rates which are low now but were at 2%+ not too long ago.

So my (current) perspective is that cash is a part of my fixed income allocation, which could include bonds but currently just cash (zero-duration bonds).
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 am
vested1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 am I only consider cash when determining net worth, or as an emergency fund, and don't include it in my AA. Cash doesn't generate dividends or capital gains, and the amount only fluctuates when I spend it. It is however more subject to inflation so I don't keep a lot of it sitting around.
I think the perspectives differ on whether you look at cash as part of fixed income or not. And by cash I am talking about checking & savings, and the latter does have interest rates which are low now but were at 2%+ not too long ago.

So my (current) perspective is that cash is a part of my fixed income allocation, which could include bonds but currently just cash (zero-duration bonds).
It depends on the amount of cash. If one has a meaningful amount of cash in saving/checking account, it would be close to equivalent to someone who has that amount in a money market fund. Cash is an asset and it can be used to rebalance and such that would affect the overall portfolio performance.
Jerry476

Post by Jerry476 »

75 y.o.
48% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
12% Vanguard International Growth
40% Vanguard Intermediate Bond Index

I call this array Taylor Modified.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

delete
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

LeslieSmiley wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am It depends on the amount of cash. If one has a meaningful amount of cash in saving/checking account, it would be close to equivalent to someone who has that amount in a money market fund. Cash is an asset and it can be used to rebalance and such that would affect the overall portfolio performance.
The OP said 18 months of expenses in cash. I'd imagine this would be at least 5%~10% of their AA. I'm targeting for 5% myself, I think this is a good amount of fixed income allocation during accumulation.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

delete
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Fisherman8 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:03 am Age 38
Roth IRA: Target Date Fund (90/10)
Roth 401K: 100% Stocks

Taxable Account:
80% VTWAX
20% Cash (Settlement Fund)
Not being snarky or anything. I'm genuinely curious about what your situation is, or reasoning is, for at age 38, having all your investment monies in Roth and taxable accounts - nothing in traditional 401Ks or traditional IRAs. Do you feel like your income is comparatively lower right now than it will be in retirement? Do you think there is no chance that legislation will be passed that raises tax rates for you between now and retirement?

Like so many others, I've wrestled with Roth versus Traditional. Also, have given some thought to taxable. Ended up diversifying between the three, although about 2/3s is in traditional. Might do some traditional to Roth conversions if my income dips.

To address the topic of this post, I'm 62, and my wife is 59. I don't expect to need any money from my retirement accounts for another three to six years, and we're about 52% equities/45% bonds/3% cash. Actually the 45% in bonds includes a substantial amount of investments that adjust with inflation - G Fund, I-bonds, short-term inflation-protected securities, but also substantial % in intermediate-term bonds. I have a pension that adjusts for inflation, but won't get a significant amount of SS. My wife will get significant SS, but only small pension.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

32 yo. 70% US Stocks, 20% ex-US stocks, 10% Long-term/Extended-duration US Treasuries.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

aln10788 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 am 32 years old. 100 percent stocks. If I work until 55 my pensions is 75 percent of my final pay. I don't intend to invest in bonds until 50 at the earliest due to pension.
Not having a pension can greatly influence an investor's attitude about bonds and other fixed income investments.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:37 pm
aln10788 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 am 32 years old. 100 percent stocks. If I work until 55 my pensions is 75 percent of my final pay. I don't intend to invest in bonds until 50 at the earliest due to pension.
Not having a pension can greatly influence an investor's attitude about bonds and other fixed income investments.
Yep, makes all the difference in the world.
CloudNine33

Post by CloudNine33 »

Bluce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:16 pm
Or not at all. Zero pensions headed our way and at 51/49 we are 90/10 not including some investment real estate.
Engaging in sloth

Post by Engaging in sloth »

I find this thread very useful and informative. I want to increase my equity exposure, currently AA 30/70 (cash), holding cash for future housing opportunities. DH60 DW 61, wife non-cola pension
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Engaging in sloth wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:54 am I find this thread very useful and informative. I want to increase my equity exposure, currently AA 30/70 (cash), holding cash for future housing opportunities. DH60 DW 61, wife non-cola pension
Many years ago we held cash for future housing opportunities. We still own the same home we owned then, and nothing else.

I’d be careful convincing yourself of reasons why you’re holding the cash you’re holding because sometimes it is simply because you don’t want to deploy it.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Engaging in sloth

Post by Engaging in sloth »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:08 am
Engaging in sloth wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:54 am I find this thread very useful and informative. I want to increase my equity exposure, currently AA 30/70 (cash), holding cash for future housing opportunities. DH60 DW 61, wife non-cola pension
Many years ago we held cash for future housing opportunities. We still own the same home we owned then, and nothing else.

I’d be careful convincing yourself of reasons why you’re holding the cash you’re holding because sometimes it is simply because you don’t want to deploy it.
Interesting thought. One negative to this situation currently is the insane housing market which we did not anticipate. Pondering adding more to equities now because we are dissuaded from looking to seriously at housing now.
Tony Stark

Post by Tony Stark »

Age 59, currently 50 stocks 50 fixed income. Retiring in next 8 months to 3 years. Will have a federal government FERS pension. Stocks are 70% domestic 30% international.
OfficiallyBA

Post by OfficiallyBA »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 am Age 46 and 46 with one kid (age 7). My wife’s been a stay-at-home parent for the past three years and may or may not work in the future. I’m a public school teacher and plan to work until around 60. We’re 78/22 equities to bonds and I’m expecting a pension of around $100k/year with COLA and 100% survivor benefits when I retire. I may reduce hours at age 55 and go to 3 or 4 days per week. In the meantime, summers are great as I have time off to spend with the family.
What kind of teaching do you do with an income like that?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

OfficiallyBA wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 am Age 46 and 46 with one kid (age 7). My wife’s been a stay-at-home parent for the past three years and may or may not work in the future. I’m a public school teacher and plan to work until around 60. We’re 78/22 equities to bonds and I’m expecting a pension of around $100k/year with COLA and 100% survivor benefits when I retire. I may reduce hours at age 55 and go to 3 or 4 days per week. In the meantime, summers are great as I have time off to spend with the family.
What kind of teaching do you do with an income like that?

Elementary (typically 5th grade but I have taught other grades too). I teach multiple subjects including math, reading, writing, science, and social studies. It’s never a dull moment and I look forward to working on most days.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

Both mid-30s. We’ve got a triple 60/40 portfolio. 60/40 stocks/bonds. 60/40 US/International within equities. 60/40 total market/small value funds within equities. Average bond duration is 11 years with a somewhat messy mix of TBM, long treasuries, municipals, and TIPs/iBonds accumulated in various accounts.

The reason for the “conservative” AA is being at 120% of target FI number. I’m on the side of “need to take risk” trumping “ability to take risk” in the Swedroe trinity.
Waiting_for_Godot

Post by Waiting_for_Godot »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:08 am

Good point re: cash; I'm holding way too much for my age:

AA: 38 (mostly SCV, currently contributing max 401k to 50/50 US/intl)/62 (cash at Ally)

Still working on getting my head on straight, working again but quite unhappy at my current position. I've developed a bad habit of taking comfort in the fact that the Ally balance has never gone down. I need to wean myself off of that crutch by developing a plan for that stash, but I'm leaning toward waiting a bit longer while I get work/career questions answered.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

HeadHunter wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 am
Bluce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:16 pm
Or not at all. Zero pensions headed our way and at 51/49 we are 90/10 not including some investment real estate.
You've got plenty of time yet to ride out a bear. I was 90-95% stocks until I was around 57, then I started scaling back.
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

Age 65. Retired.
70% stock index funds of which 15% is international.
25% bond index fund, 5% money market.
alfredwallace

Post by alfredwallace »

Age 52

About
88% equities (0% international-never had it)
7% fixed
4% real estate (REITs)
1% cash
splitatlantic

Post by splitatlantic »

54% Stock
39% Bond
7% Cash and Short Term
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Age 65 (wife also 65)
Debt free. Pensions cover expenses
80/20 - stocks (essentially S&P500)/bonds
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

When financial planners recommend at least a 50% cash allocation for those over the age of 50, why are they so conservative? Do they assume their clients are no longer working or might become unemployed and that preserving assets takes precedence over the risk of growing the value of assets?
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

36 y/o

100% domestic equities
50% TSM/50% Nasdaq
70% 1x/15% 2x/15% 3x (hedgefundie)
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.