Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TheBogleWay

Re: Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Post by TheBogleWay »

KyleAAA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:18 pm

These threads tend to spread an astounding amount of misinformation, so no, it isn't as simple as simply ignoring threads one isn't interested in.
I'm not the guy you responded to but I do agree with him, just like him, this thread helped me to know that it was a widespread issue, not simply that something was wrong with my call and I wasn't stuck in an endless loop somewhere. I probably would have given up around 45 minutes, but after seeing this I knew that it was real that I just needed to wait. It helps me.

The thread has been fairly accurate so far too. Their app is up, their website seems to be 50/50 up and down right now, and their calls are still taking around an hour to answer. Sounds like things are slowly being improved.

Trading is open, unlike some Twitter posts seemed to suggest.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Can any major outfit/trading platform boast that they've never gone down for at least several hours (that's been in business for at least 5 years)? Not knowing the answer, I would start off by guessing no outfit can make that claim.

So today's Vanguard's day. It happens. You sometimes lose electricity at your house too - it happens. It's probably better to just start out by thinking it's a given this will happen sometime.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

azanon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 pm Can any major outfit/trading platform boast that they've never gone down for at least several hours (that's been in business for at least 5 years)? Not knowing the answer, I would start off by guessing no outfit can make that claim.

So today's Vanguard's day. It happens. You sometimes lose electricity at your house too - it happens. It's probably better to just start out by thinking it's a given this will happen sometime.
The point is their infrastructure can't handle 2x trading volume. Similar problems in March too.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Vanguard just posted this on Fb, "Early today, Vanguard experienced intermittent connectivity issues impacting our websites, mobile apps, and phones. The issue has been resolved and we encourage clients to clear their internet cache and cookies, and recycle their web browser, before logging back on to our system. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank clients for their patience."

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

fsrph wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:28 pm Vanguard just posted this on Fb, "Early today, Vanguard experienced intermittent connectivity issues impacting our websites, mobile apps, and phones. The issue has been resolved and we encourage clients to clear their internet cache and cookies, and recycle their web browser, before logging back on to our system. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank clients for their patience."

Francis
How do you recycle your browser? Should one use the green bin?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm Just waiting will resolve the issues. Those attempting to log in without a reason other than to "check things out" is making any problem worse. It was obvious by the third post in this thread that there was a systemic issue, so everyone doesn't have to go check and post "Me too!" I mean, what is the point of calling customer service unless you really have an urgent issue? You're just frustrating yourself at this point.
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 pm
zaboomafoozarg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm Jack Bogle would be so disappointed.
He'd be so disappointed that he founded the largest mutual fund manager in the world by far whose growth continues to outstrip that of competition.
I suppose it keeps these threads "fair and balanced" to have the pro-Vanguard perspective....

[sarcasm]Come on folks...customer service is just for "urgent issues". [/sarcasm]
azanon

Post by azanon »

palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:26 pm
azanon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 pm Can any major outfit/trading platform boast that they've never gone down for at least several hours (that's been in business for at least 5 years)? Not knowing the answer, I would start off by guessing no outfit can make that claim.

The point is their infrastructure can't handle 2x trading volume. Similar problems in March too.
Ok. And my point is, have a contingency plan ready when (not if) this happens.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I, like other BH’s and many posters on Twitter had trouble logging on to VG today.

I had no issues with the Schwab and Fidelity login process.
The Schwab real-time chat system was extremely slow; I ended up quitting it.

Hopefully today’s well publicized problem at VG will serve as an incentive to really make an effort to fix and upgrade the technology (and staff).

Problems like this do, in the long run, help to get the root cause fixed.
I hope this is the case at VG.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

azanon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:34 pm

What contingency plan do you have in place?
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:35 pm

not put all my eggs in the same basket.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:29 pm
fsrph wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:28 pm Vanguard just posted this on Fb, "Early today, Vanguard experienced intermittent connectivity issues impacting our websites, mobile apps, and phones. The issue has been resolved and we encourage clients to clear their internet cache and cookies, and recycle their web browser, before logging back on to our system. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank clients for their patience."

Francis
Maybe Vanguard was trying to recycle their website?
:twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
azanon

Post by azanon »

IRAs all set to auto invest. About 60K in cash in 2 different banks. Pre-loan approval at PenFed. 4-5 credit cards with about 100K+ limit. 35K in a 529 not at Vanguard. Insurance Policies. A revokeable living trust. Invested in balanced mutual funds that rebalance themselves.

Just a starter list - not trying to be comprehensive.....
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

azanon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:38 pm

IRAs all set to auto invest. About 60K in cash in 2 different banks. Pre-loan approval at PenFed. 4-5 credit cards with about 100K+ limit. 35K in a 529 not at Vanguard. Insurance Policies. A revokeable living trust. Invested in balanced mutual funds that rebalance themselves.

Those are all good but don't address the problem of placing a trade today.
nptit

Post by nptit »

Seems to be working for me now, where it previously wasn't this morning. Was able to place a buy order as well.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:37 pm
palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Francis
Maybe Vanguard was trying to recycle their website?
:twisted:

RM
Maybe they should. :twisted:

I'm surprised they did not recommend that people recycle their computers as well.
azanon

Post by azanon »

palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:42 pm
azanon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:38 pm

Those are all good but don't address the problem of placing a trade today.
The suggestion in short is, be in a position to, at most, be mildly inconvenienced by not being able to trade on a given day.
azanon

Post by azanon »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm Jack Bogle would be so disappointed.
Until I saw your other post, I thought you meant because so many people needed to log into Vanguard today. Jack used to tell stories about suggesting people to not even look at their balance for their entire working career and then being shocked when they "peeked" at the end.

I would imagine Jack rarely had to log into Vanguard. Not having asked him myself, I would have guessed he darn near automated most everything and rarely had to make changes.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Francis
What does recycle your web browser mean? Vanguard customer service is awful. They can't even post clear instructions on how to reaccess them after their site crashes. :annoyed
We plan. G-d laughs.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:19 pm

Francis
What does recycle your web browser mean? Vanguard customer service is awful. They can't even post clear instructions on how to reaccess them after their site crashes. :annoyed
Exactly.

viewtopic.php?p=5467805#p5467805

I'm sure a certain percentage of their client base is confused by these instructions.
goingup

Post by goingup »

I get that having your broker unavailable is inconvenient. I must be very unlucky, though, because this situation is not uncommon for nearly all the institutions with whom I do business. My bank, my CC companies, insurance companies, the airlines I use and the hotels I stay at all have occasional technical problems and become unavailable for a few hours or even a day.

The last thing I do is hop on the phone to call them about it. That's like wading deeper into their temporary problem. :oops: Try them later or tomorrow.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 pm
donfairplay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 am I can log on but the Account Overview and Balance & Holdings pages get a "The page you requested could not be found" message.
TheTimeLord, this post of yours was quoted by the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Congrats! (I think)

https://www.inquirer.com/business/vangu ... 00831.html
:oops: never expected that.
This IS your 15 minutes of fame.

Bask in it. :sharebeer
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the link in human readable format: Vanguard website goes down briefly Monday, as Apple and Tesla shares both split

The reporter who boosted TheTimeLord into fame is Erin Arvedlund. She attended the local Philadelphia Bogleheads chapter meetings a few years ago.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Doc

Post by Doc »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:03 pm Here's the link in human readable format: Vanguard website goes down briefly Monday, as Apple and Tesla shares both split

The reporter who boosted TheTimeLord into fame is Erin Arvedlund. She attended the local Philadelphia Bogleheads chapter meetings a few years ago.
I'm glad that Erin's post has her picture at the bottom of the page and not the TIme Lord's. :D
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:32 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm Just waiting will resolve the issues. Those attempting to log in without a reason other than to "check things out" is making any problem worse. It was obvious by the third post in this thread that there was a systemic issue, so everyone doesn't have to go check and post "Me too!" I mean, what is the point of calling customer service unless you really have an urgent issue? You're just frustrating yourself at this point.
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 pm
He'd be so disappointed that he founded the largest mutual fund manager in the world by far whose growth continues to outstrip that of competition.
I suppose it keeps these threads "fair and balanced" to have the pro-Vanguard perspective....

[sarcasm]Come on folks...customer service is just for "urgent issues". [/sarcasm]
I know we antagonize each other occasionally on these boards, but it's all in good fun. I PROMISE you I don't have any connection to Vanguard other than being an account holder. I do enjoy presenting a counter to the dominant sentiment of a thread. It's always amusing to see the catastrophizing on Bogleheads in threads like this.

I think it's valid advice not to flock to a website that's under stress in order to confirm what's already confirmed, or not to work oneself up into a tizzy by staying on hold for a long time unnecessarily. Like others have pointed out, it's just a service outage. They know about it, they're working on it, more people telling them about it won't get it fixed faster -- likely the opposite. We've all experienced service outages with a variety of platforms over our lifetimes. If you are directly adversely impacted, I guess it's a big deal, but people who simply can't log in for an hour just to view balances and then threatening to end a years-long relationship at a time when multiple other platforms are being similarly affected strikes me as an overreaction.

I really strive just to be a realist, and I get annoyed at the piling on and the logical leaps people make, so sometimes I present a viewpoint that is purposely emotionally heightened in the opposite direction. So now you know my secret!

P.S.
https://downdetector.com/status/e-trade/
:wink:

Now, perhaps YOU didn't experience a problem with E-Trade today, but I didn't experience a problem with Vanguard today. So, in our sample size of 1, both sites are perfectly and identically functional!
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

Just finished updating our spreadsheet for this month.

No problem logging on to Vanguard or E*Trade.

Will log onto all others early tomorrow, because they update overnight!
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Francis
It means close the browser completely and reopen it. Or maybe it means REFRESH the page you are attempting to access AFTER you clear cache and cookies.
grobertj

Vanguard Website Problems

Post by grobertj »

Does anyone know what was wrong with Vanguard's website earlier today?
The only constant is CHANGE!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I moved your thread into the on-going discussion.

^^^ 2 posts up. If your browser isn't configured to clear the cache and remove cookies when it's closed, "Recycling" the browser won't help. In fact, rebooting your PC won't help, either.

You can configure Firefox to clear cookies and cache upon exit, but have to manually clear it in Chrome.

Tip: In Chrome, you can clear everything by setting it as a bookmark. Click on the bookmark, done.

Code: Select all

chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
Don't do this now, wait until you're done with the browser.

FYI - Clearing browser cookies will log you out of the forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:21 pm ^^^ 2 posts up. If your browser isn't configured to clear the cache and remove cookies when it's closed, "Recycling" the browser won't help. In fact, rebooting your PC won't help, either.
Understood. But if you close the browser after you clear the cache and cookies (steps that were listed first in the ordered instructions), the closing the browser and revisiting the target site would have the same effect as a page refresh following the same steps. I agree that the wording is clunky.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:22 pm
KyleAAA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:18 pm

These threads tend to spread an astounding amount of misinformation, so no, it isn't as simple as simply ignoring threads one isn't interested in.
I'm not the guy you responded to but I do agree with him, just like him, this thread helped me to know that it was a widespread issue, not simply that something was wrong with my call and I wasn't stuck in an endless loop somewhere. I probably would have given up around 45 minutes, but after seeing this I knew that it was real that I just needed to wait. It helps me.

The thread has been fairly accurate so far too. Their app is up, their website seems to be 50/50 up and down right now, and their calls are still taking around an hour to answer. Sounds like things are slowly being improved.

Trading is open, unlike some Twitter posts seemed to suggest.
But, it really doesn't. Just because a lot of other people are having a problem doesn't mean you will. Just because nobody else is having a problem doesn't mean you shouldn't be. There are so many hidden variables going into this that it isn't helpful to know that others are or are not having a related issue. So what if you'd given up in 45 minutes? You'd have called back some other time. Or it would have resolved itself and you wouldn't have. If it was urgent, you wouldn't have given up after 45 minutes at all. Somebody else reporting a similar issue in no way helps you know "it was real."

Example: both the site and the app have been completely available to me all day. No issues. Does that make my or your experience less real?
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

jebmke wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:53 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm Vanguard is in a long-term migration to the cloud. Perhaps the heavy volume threw a wrench in the process.
Could be. When I got in this morning, after clearing the entire browser cache -- the old main page showed up. Maybe they keep some older servers available with the old format. I've noticed when they have problems, the old format often shows up. I was able to enter a buy for a MF today in my IRA.

Just checked and it is still bringing up the old format.
I've noticed this too and today saw the old format when I logged in. If it helps their system handle higher volume I wish they would just leave it that way.
Last edited by Rowan Oak on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Francis
It means close the browser completely and reopen it. Or maybe it means REFRESH the page you are attempting to access AFTER you clear cache and cookies.
There you go. Two different possible explanations. Clear as mud. The word "recycle" is not correct terminology and I am sure you know that.
Semantics

Post by Semantics »

And when it happens, it's their fault, and they should compensate their customers. Don't blame the victims.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I make sure my finances are robust to being offline for a few hours or even a few days.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Semantics wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:17 pm

And when it happens, it's their fault, and they should compensate their customers. Don't blame the victims.
Compensate customers for what? What are the actual damages and how did Vanguard cause them?
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

palanzo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:14 pm

Francis
There you go. Two different possible explanations. Clear as mud. The word "recycle" is not correct terminology and I am sure you know that.
It's probably just something boilerplate support tells people to do. Engineers often laugh at this suggestion because 99% of the time it is suggested, it doesn't and can't address the issue. I guess it lets people feel like they can do something to help resolve the issue.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Francis
I don't think they should have used it, but they should have hyphenated it. Re-cycle. Or maybe just "cycle". Maybe it was written by a non-native speaker of English.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Francis
I don't think they should have used it, but they should have hyphenated it. Re-cycle. Or maybe just "cycle". Maybe it was written by a non-native speaker of English.
Lots of maybe's. Maybe it should have been proofread and edited before it was sent out to 10's of millions of people. Since it happens every so often, maybe they could even have boilerplate text ready to send.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

If you know what cache and cookies mean and how to clear them, chances are you can try the two possible reasonable interpretations of recycle in about 5 seconds.

It's my in my nature to try to make sense of things. What's wrong with suggesting possible interpretations?
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 pm If you know what cache and cookies mean and how to clear them, chances are you can try the two possible reasonable interpretations of recycle in about 5 seconds.

It's my in my nature to try to make sense of things. What's wrong with suggesting possible interpretations?
Nothing at all. I am concerned for those who don't understand and who will be confused by "recycle". In my experience that's not a small number of people.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Interesting thread. Completely skipped over it this morning as this same topic seems to be an often theme. I logged into Etrade (did a trade around 10am) and Schwab without issue this morning.
Nate79

Re: Is Vanguard usually hard to get ahold of?

Post by Nate79 »

TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I'm in a situation where I need to sell stocks (need access to some funds) immediately, as in asap today. I have two phones and I've been on hold trying to reach their customer service for over 30 minutes on each. For whatever reason, the phone line didn't even prompt their normal voice verification system.

I have an account that has over a $1m balance, it doesn't quite feel right that I can't reach them in some quicker fashion when I need help. Is there some other line I can contact?

I'm trying to sell some stocks in a speedy fashion but need one of them to hold my hand through the process as I've never sold before and need to prioritize selling, find those that maybe have a loss first, then sell those with the smallest capital gain.

Anybody know how I can get in touch with them faster?

Edit: Approaching 40 minutes now, this is ridiculous. Does anybody know a more direct line to Vanguard dept who can help me sell Vanguard funds?
Schwab.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I stayed away from Vanguard.com yesterday after reading this thread.

As of this morning, it is working normally.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

no problem signing on today.
azanon

Post by azanon »

KyleAAA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:00 pm
Semantics wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Compensate customers for what? What are the actual damages and how did Vanguard cause them?
Yeah I think we can safely assume the Terms of Service most of us never actually read protects Vanguard from legal liability for this sort of thing.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm Just waiting will resolve the issues.
Checks out!