Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
egrets

Re: Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Post by egrets »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:35 am At the moment, it's not working on Chrome - I can log in, but immediately get a page not available error (We're sorry. The page you requested could not be found. If you used a bookmark or a favorite place to access this page, the link is no longer effective). It's working on Firefox - I was able to execute a trade.

I don't know if it's Chrome v Firefox or different cookies/settings or whatever.
Noonish Eastern, I get the above failure with Firefox but chrome works.
amateurnovice

Unable to Login to Vanguard

Post by amateurnovice »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Is the Vanguard website down? I can access through my iPhone app but not their website. Anyone else having trouble with it?
ChesterK

Re: Unable to Login to Vanguard

Post by ChesterK »

Yes and not for the first time
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Updating my previous post where I successfully executed a transaction, I just went back in to my account and I have access to all aspects of the account, but it does appear I am viewing the account in the old version (which I too like better than the more recent version).
Tom D.
mrtwstr

Post by mrtwstr »

Check their status on Twitter, they are having all sorts of issues today :(
camillus

Post by camillus »

This is why I rolled to Fidelity...
doctorfaust

Post by doctorfaust »

I was able to log in via Chrome on my work computer, but not Firefox on my laptop. Might be browser specific so if you need to get in right now try switching browsers...
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Just to beat this horse some more I couldn't log in to Vanguard with my YubiKey, I had to get a SMS. :oops:
TheBogleWay

Is Vanguard usually hard to get ahold of?

Post by TheBogleWay »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I'm in a situation where I need to sell stocks (need access to some funds) immediately, as in asap today. I have two phones and I've been on hold trying to reach their customer service for over 30 minutes on each. For whatever reason, the phone line didn't even prompt their normal voice verification system.

I have an account that has over a $1m balance, it doesn't quite feel right that I can't reach them in some quicker fashion when I need help. Is there some other line I can contact?

I'm trying to sell some stocks in a speedy fashion but need one of them to hold my hand through the process as I've never sold before and need to prioritize selling, find those that maybe have a loss first, then sell those with the smallest capital gain.

Anybody know how I can get in touch with them faster?

Edit: Approaching 40 minutes now, this is ridiculous. Does anybody know a more direct line to Vanguard dept who can help me sell Vanguard funds?
PizzaEater

Post by PizzaEater »

I've been logged in for well over an hour, but I still can't contribute to my IRA. I'm hoping the website starts working before market close today...
MrJedi

Re: Is Vanguard usually hard to get ahold of?

Post by MrJedi »

They are having massive website issues today, check their Twitter, Facebook, etc. Several threads here today. Their call volumes are probably through the roof at this time.
TheBogleWay

Post by TheBogleWay »

MrJedi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm They are having massive website issues today, check their Twitter, Facebook, etc. Several threads here today. Their call volumes are probably through the roof at this time.
Ok so it's not just me. Yeah, I realized their website was glitching today too.

One hell of a time for issues. I need them immediately, I have a very limited window to sell stocks lol, greeeeaaat.

Any ideas of what you'd do to get around this? Thanks.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm I'm in a situation where I need to sell stocks (need access to some funds) immediately, as in asap today. I have two phones and I've been on hold trying to reach their customer service for over 30 minutes on each. For whatever reason, the phone line didn't even prompt their normal voice verification system.

I have an account that has over a $1m balance, it doesn't quite feel right that I can't reach them in some quicker fashion when I need help. Is there some other line I can contact?

I'm trying to sell some stocks in a speedy fashion but need one of them to hold my hand through the process as I've never sold before and need to prioritize selling, find those that maybe have a loss first, then sell those with the smallest capital gain.

Edit: Approaching 40 minutes now, this is ridiculous. Does anybody know a more direct line to Vanguard dept who can help me sell Vanguard funds?
Unfortunately, there is a problem at Vanguard, including with the website... no access.
So no doubt their phone lines are swamped.
(Maybe the market will be up, or at least not down more, tomorrow.)

What are the expected dates for the P&S for your planned home purchase?
The amount needed at that stage seems to vary a lot by location/state.
You probably won't need any large sums until that date.
And then you won't need the full down payment until closing, of course.

And yes, as has been discussed on the other thread, what is a worry for you is if the market starts to tank.
Do you have a well diversified portfolio, so you could withdraw some early funds from, say, bonds or even money market funds?

You don't need all of the money immediately, right?
What is the minimum you *need*, and on what approximate dates?
That should be your focus now.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

For customer service I don't think there's much you can do other than wait it out.

If you know the trade you want to place, it sounded like the mobile app is functioning though I have not tried.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 pm
MrJedi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm They are having massive website issues today, check their Twitter, Facebook, etc. Several threads here today. Their call volumes are probably through the roof at this time.
Ok so it's not just me. Yeah, I realized their website was glitching today too.

One hell of a time for issues. I need them immediately, I have a very limited window to sell stocks lol, greeeeaaat.

Any ideas of what you'd do to get around this? Thanks.
By the way, although this isn't much (any?) help right now, this is *exactly* why we do, and will probably always, have some money in at least two separate financial firms.
That's not a guarantee if there is a really massive internet problem, but it's at least a chance of having access.

Again, you don't need all of the money immediately, and the market isn't crashing. In fact, it's recovered slightly from earlier today.
Buying a house, especially a first house, is often a stressful time.
Try to focus on the longer term... and that house :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

egrets wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:50 am
Seasonal wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:35 am At the moment, it's not working on Chrome - I can log in, but immediately get a page not available error (We're sorry. The page you requested could not be found. If you used a bookmark or a favorite place to access this page, the link is no longer effective). It's working on Firefox - I was able to execute a trade.

I don't know if it's Chrome v Firefox or different cookies/settings or whatever.
Noonish Eastern, I get the above failure with Firefox but chrome works.
I'm guessing it's cookies, since Chrome doesn't work on this machine, but Firefox and Edge work, and Chrome is working on another computer. I'm hesitant to clear Chrome cookies on this computer since I have lots of funds in my Funds Watch List and those are set using cookies.
TheBogleWay

Post by TheBogleWay »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:16 pm
TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm I'm in a situation where I need to sell stocks (need access to some funds) immediately, as in asap today. I have two phones and I've been on hold trying to reach their customer service for over 30 minutes on each. For whatever reason, the phone line didn't even prompt their normal voice verification system.

Unfortunately, there is a problem at Vanguard, including with the website... no access.
So no doubt their phone lines are swamped.
(Maybe the market will be up, or at least not down more, tomorrow.)

What are the expected dates for the P&S for your planned home purchase?
The amount needed at that stage seems to vary a lot by location/state.
You probably won't need any large sums until that date.
And then you won't need the full down payment until closing, of course.

And yes, as has been discussed on the other thread, what is a worry for you is if the market starts to tank.
Do you have a well diversified portfolio, so you could withdraw some early funds from, say, bonds or even money market funds?

You don't need all of the money immediately, right?
What is the minimum you *need*, and on what approximate dates?
That should be your focus now.

RM
What an unbelievable day for this to happen lol, wow. I'm on Twitter... supposedly they've locked their ENTIRE customer base down and aren't allowing trades? That's one of the most wild things I've heard. What could be going on? On the same day Tesla and Apple split right? Wow.

Technically I only need an additional like $10k by Wednesday (funny how you knew I was going through the house stuff) which I could possibly find from a family member worst case, but I also wanted to sell my stocks just because I don't want the market to go down for any reason, just like you alluded to. What a weird coincidence. I'll need a few hundred k soon though.

Ugh, try to unstress. Do you think this could be something bigger, like some attempted hack of a larger system or something that could impact the market?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged amateurnovice's and TheBogleWay's threads into the on-going discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (Vanguard problem).

I was able to login and view my account.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TheBogleWay

Post by TheBogleWay »

HueyLD wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:18 pm Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Traditionally I've always liked Vanguard and been a fan of their customer service but I have had a few issues recently, and now this.

Are people generally still happy with Vanguard, or are people... migrating elsewhere?
TheBogleWay

Post by TheBogleWay »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 pm I merged amateurnovice's and TheBogleWay's threads into the on-going discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (Vanguard problem).
Thank you LadyGeek!
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:25 pm What an unbelievable day for this to happen lol, wow. I'm on Twitter... supposedly they've locked their ENTIRE customer base down and aren't allowing trades? That's one of the most wild things I've heard. What could be going on? On the same day Tesla and Apple split right? Wow.
I executed trades online at 11:30 and 12:30 Eastern time. Twitter is not always 100% accurate :P .
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:33 pm
TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:25 pm What an unbelievable day for this to happen lol, wow. I'm on Twitter... supposedly they've locked their ENTIRE customer base down and aren't allowing trades? That's one of the most wild things I've heard. What could be going on? On the same day Tesla and Apple split right? Wow.
I executed trades online at 11:30 and 12:30 Eastern time. Twitter is not always 100% accurate.
Schwab, Fidelity, and others are seeing issues as well. i think volume is over the top today for everyone. crazy really, all over a book-keeping event.
[
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

I signed in around 10 am pacific time, no problems getting in at all. Thanks to all these "early" risers on the eastern seaboard, I wouldn't have known anything was going on at all.
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

For anyone using their Yubikey on Chrome, try logging in at the home page sign-on (scroll down) instead of clicking on the log on button (upper right). It recognized my yubikey and had to memorize it again. The upper right log on page threw an error.

That all could have been timing though and was earlier today, so YMMV.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Jack Bogle would be so disappointed.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

TheBogleWay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 pm Are people generally still happy with Vanguard, or are people... migrating elsewhere?
I migrated one account from Vanguard to Fidelity a couple years ago. This makes me think I should migrate another one.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm wondering if it's due to the heavy volume from the planned AAPL and TSLA stock splits, which go into effect today.

I had no problem logging into my Fidelity account and got this message:
Holders of Apple (AAPL) and Tesla (TSLA), please note that final updates due to the announced stock splits are still in progress. Position Value, Share Size and Pricing are correct for these equity positions, however, they will not display Todays Gain/Loss, Total Gain/Loss or Cost Basis detail until after market open on Tuesday, 9/1. Similarly, Purchase History / Tax Lots will be updated to reflect the updated quantity and total gain/loss information at that time. Option contracts and strike prices will be adjusted for the splits prior to market open on 8/31. In addition, please review any open orders for these securities. Buy Limit and Sell Stop equity orders will be automatically adjusted for the splits, other equity orders will remain. All open option orders entered prior to 7:00 AM ET on Monday 8/31 will be cancelled.
Vanguard is in a long-term migration to the cloud. Perhaps the heavy volume threw a wrench in the process.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Just waiting will resolve the issues. Those attempting to log in without a reason other than to "check things out" is making any problem worse. It was obvious by the third post in this thread that there was a systemic issue, so everyone doesn't have to go check and post "Me too!" I mean, what is the point of calling customer service unless you really have an urgent issue? You're just frustrating yourself at this point.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

HueyLD wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:18 pm Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Easy to say, might be difficult to do.

And, in any event, conflicts with the concept of trying to keep things simple.

But, that all said, if one has Vanguard index funds (and no ETFs at all and doesn’t want them), to where should one move those holdings? It has to be to a place that won’t charge a fee to buy more index shares or to sell any of what I’ve already got. Who do you recommend?
TheBogleWay

Post by TheBogleWay »

Finally reaching a person after 1 hour and 7 minutes, but now he needs to transfer me to somebody who can actually help with my request, he says it will be another "lengthy wait maybe over 15 minutes".

What craziness, this is really frustrating. Their Twitter post is full of people saying they've frozen accounts and aren't allowing trades. This guy I spoke with before he transferred me says he doesn't think they're freezing trades but needs to transfer me to that group anyway.
Last edited by TheBogleWay on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm Jack Bogle would be so disappointed.
He'd be so disappointed that he founded the largest mutual fund manager in the world by far whose growth continues to outstrip that of competition.
TheDivider

Post by TheDivider »

Very frustrating!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm logged into my Fidelity account and have this message on my portfolio page:
Due to high volume, you are temporarily seeing a simplified version of your summary page.
Impressive, as that means there is indeed a large volume today. However, Fidelity knows how to handle it.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm I'm logged into my Fidelity account and have this message on my portfolio page:
Due to high volume, you are temporarily seeing a simplified version of your summary page.
Impressive, as that means there is indeed a large volume today. However, Fidelity knows how to handle it.
It is interesting that Vanguard does something similar (go back to the old simple home page), but the transition has not been very clean or stable.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm Vanguard is in a long-term migration to the cloud. Perhaps the heavy volume threw a wrench in the process.
Could be. When I got in this morning, after clearing the entire browser cache -- the old main page showed up. Maybe they keep some older servers available with the old format. I've noticed when they have problems, the old format often shows up. I was able to enter a buy for a MF today in my IRA.

Just checked and it is still bringing up the old format.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
nptit

Post by nptit »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm I'm logged into my Fidelity account and have this message on my portfolio page:
Anyone know why there would be high volume today? Are we sure it's because of volume and not a tech problem with say AWS that all these companies use? Looks like the market is mostly flat/stable.
PizzaEater

Post by PizzaEater »

I was finally able to make my IRA contribution. It's a mutual fund, so time of day didn't matter. I just prefer to do it first thing in the morning so I don't forget.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

nptit wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm
Anyone know why there would be high volume today? Are we sure it's because of volume and not a tech problem with say AWS that all these companies use? Looks like the market is mostly flat/stable.
If this is to be believed, retail investors are going nuts over the apple and tesla stock splits. Multiple brokerages are having problems, including Robinhood, vanguard, etrade, TD ameritrade, and schwab [edited]. Given that stock trades are theoretically meaningless, this might be interpreted as a sign of froth in the markets...

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/42570 ... rading-day
Last edited by random_walker_77 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

One possible explanation for higher volume perhaps is that Apple's and Tesla's stock splits take effect today. I don't completely buy that explanation but I have no special insight.

At this point I don't know that we can chalk all the disruptions up to high volume. It could be there are multiple sources for disruptions. One such source would be connectivity issues between various Vanguard servers or the data centers used by Vanguard servers.
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Working right now for me !!
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Vanguard ETFS BND and BIV (bonds) and VEA (international) were all at twice normal full day volume by the middle of the day. There is a ton of trading on the market today at least in places.

Others are very quiet.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:19 pm
If this is to be believed, retail investors are going nuts over the apple and tesla stock splits. Multiple brokerages are having problems, including Robinhood, vanguard, etrade, TD ameritrade, schwab, fidelity, and IB. Given that stock trades are theoretically meaningless, this might be interpreted as a sign of froth in the markets...

Is Fidelity really having problems? I'm hearing that it's the one that didn't go down.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

itsmeagain wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:49 am...At the very least, when Vanguard is having these technical issues (as they do every so often), they could post that information when the homepage comes up ... instead of showing us all those d*mn ads...
As I write this, they are doing exactly that. At least, when I log in from my location over my ISP using my browser.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

chinchin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:29 pm
random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:19 pm
If this is to be believed, retail investors are going nuts over the apple and tesla stock splits. Multiple brokerages are having problems, including Robinhood, vanguard, etrade, TD ameritrade, and schwab [edited]. Given that stock trades are theoretically meaningless, this might be interpreted as a sign of froth in the markets...

Is Fidelity really having problems? I'm hearing that it's the one that didn't go down.
whoops, I think you're right. Rereading more carefully, I should not have mentioned fidelity and IB. Thanks
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 am I can log on but the Account Overview and Balance & Holdings pages get a "The page you requested could not be found" message.
TheTimeLord, this post of yours was quoted by the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Congrats! (I think)

https://www.inquirer.com/business/vangu ... 00831.html
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

donfairplay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 am I can log on but the Account Overview and Balance & Holdings pages get a "The page you requested could not be found" message.

Congrats! (I think)

:oops: never expected that.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

I have not had any problems as of 3:12 pm EDT.
De gustibus non est disputandum
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 pm
donfairplay wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm

Congrats! (I think)

:oops: never expected that.
Even funnier - the link to your post in the Philly Inquirer article links to a different post with the word website highlighted.

Talk about doing the minimum amount of research...
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

gradStudentInvestor wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 am
KyleAAA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am Do we really need a thread here every time Vanguard has technical difficulties? Vanguard support would be the logical place to go with issues like this.
This thread was helpful for me, since it let me know that this issue was widespread, rather than something only I was encountering. I need to transfer funds today, and no information was available through Vanguard's official channels when I went to do so—all I knew was that the website was not offering me the functionality I needed, and that I could not get through on the phone.

I think it should be easy enough for anyone who isn't interested to simply not click on the thread.
These threads tend to spread an astounding amount of misinformation, so no, it isn't as simple as simply ignoring threads one isn't interested in.