Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Namashkar

Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Post by Namashkar »

I am unable to sign on to my account now. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
ActionJackson

Re: Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem

Post by ActionJackson »

Well, you are not alone in experiencing this my friend.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

I have not been able to sign on as of 9:30am Eastern. Listed a number to call and no answer after about 5 minutes of ringing.
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Same here. Unable to load account once I sign on.
Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Yes same has also happened to me. Very disappointed in the Vanguard platform today.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Namashkar wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:51 am I am unable to sign on to my account now. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
I see:
Your account information is temporarily unavailable

Fortunately most of my money is at Schwab and I've already completed the trade I needed to do.

Hope it doesn't inconvenience you too much!!!!
neo

Post by neo »

Yes seeing same. Sometimes internal server error.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

I was able to log in around 7:30am (EST) this morning, but I'm unable to log in now.
middlevb

Post by middlevb »

Having same problem. Cannot login and no one picking up at customer service!
Dak52

Post by Dak52 »

Agreed, very frustrating. I also had limit orders placed last night that don't appear to have executed... :?
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

No access as of 1005hrs.
Polymath.
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

I hear there are a number of brokers having issues this AM.
Nightowl99

Post by Nightowl99 »

Something's wrong. It's showing I have about $3 million more than I really have.
"Please delete my account" -- jazzmaster | "Yeah, delete my account, too! Also, I'd like an order of flapjacks, thanks. And extra napkins."--Robot Monster
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Nightowl99 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 am Something's wrong. It's showing I have about $3 million more than I really have.
Quick, retire now. I always take the online screen with a grain of salt - but not that big of a grain. :beer
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

It looks like schwab.com won't even load at all.
Retired 2017

Post by Retired 2017 »

Cant get to Vanguard or TDA. I try to not trade on Mondays but do like to check the accounts. This is also the last day of the month. I have not flipped on CNBC to see if they might mention an explanation.
Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Finally got logged in at 10:18 am but site is not functioning to make a trade. Can only see recent transactions. Cannot go to assets or even see them.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

I suspect many of us who otherwise wouldn't be logging into Vanguard right now but are curious to see if they can indeed log in, are making things worse. :mrgreen:
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".
Ron

Post by Ron »

Probably due to the Apple/Tesla stock splits taking effect today.

- Ron
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Cloudflare, a major internet backbone component had major issues yesterday that impacted Vanguard and many other sites including core internet providers. Their problems were caused by Level3/CenturyLink's network outage.

I am guessing one of them is having issues again today. These things cause wide-spread issues. Patience is the key I suppose.

BTW, almost all of the major brokerages are down. This is partially shows the fallacy of thinking diversity of brokerages will protect you from digital catastrophe. The network is heavily shared among everyone.

I would suspect they all use Amazon Web Services to some degree making that another single point of failure for the industry.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Can't place trades. Vanguard technology in action again.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
nptit

Post by nptit »

I am also experiencing issues this morning. Aka can't login.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

nptit wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am I am also experiencing issues this morning. Aka can't login.
Funny part is I logged in earlier today. I have been getting server configuration errors from browser. Well apparently they have found a way to enforce the "Hold" part of "Buy and Hold".
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Do we really need a thread here every time Vanguard has technical difficulties? Vanguard support would be the logical place to go with issues like this.
gradStudentInvestor

Post by gradStudentInvestor »

KyleAAA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am Do we really need a thread here every time Vanguard has technical difficulties? Vanguard support would be the logical place to go with issues like this.
This thread was helpful for me, since it let me know that this issue was widespread, rather than something only I was encountering. I need to transfer funds today, and no information was available through Vanguard's official channels when I went to do so—all I knew was that the website was not offering me the functionality I needed, and that I could not get through on the phone.

I think it should be easy enough for anyone who isn't interested to simply not click on the thread.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

KyleAAA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 am Do we really need a thread here every time Vanguard has technical difficulties? Vanguard support would be the logical place to go with issues like this.
I think the fact it occurs often enough to annoy you answers the question.
Bill2020

Post by Bill2020 »

@10:45 I'm still getting the "internal server error" online.

But I can log onto the phone app. Face ID didn't work and had to enter password, not sure if that's related or just an issue with my phone.
ActionJackson

Post by ActionJackson »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:35 am Can't place trades. Vanguard technology in action again.
It doesn't really fit vanguard because they are so low cost, but something I used to say about Rockwell Automation products reminds me about your comment, "You may find better, but you will not pay more!".
sycamore

Re: Vanguard seems to have web online sign on problem -- Try clearing your cookies

Post by sycamore »

I had the problem just now (11:00 Eastern) - after signing in, the web page said "Your account information is temporarily unavailable"

About a minute later, I cleared my cookies, retried the login and it worked.

FYI, this might work for others too. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.
Minnesota Trader

Post by Minnesota Trader »

Just a heads up. There appears to be a significant outage with:

Vanguard
Schwab
Fidelity
TDA

This is not limited to Vanguard!

Check out this site: https://downdetector.com/

Yesterday there was massive CenturyLink / Level 3 network event that brought down many sites, including Amazon and GoDaddy.

I believe there is something nefarious going on (a massive DDOS).

The issue will likely be addressed in the next couple of hours. Down detector says the mitigation may have already started.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Minnesota Trader wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:07 am Just a heads up. There appears to be a significant outage with:

Vanguard
Schwab
Fidelity
TDA

This is not limited to Vanguard!

Check out this site: https://downdetector.com/

Yesterday there was massive CenturyLink / Level 3 network event that brought down many sites, including Amazon and GoDaddy.

I believe there is something nefarious going on (a massive DDOS).

The issue will likely be addressed in the next couple of hours. Down detector says the mitigation may have already started.
I have used Fidelity successfully several times today already.
Timon0201

Post by Timon0201 »

I had some issues with my Schwab this morning but it recovered much better than vanguard did. this is the first time that vanguard's website has cost me money because it didn't execute some orders I had. I think this is the final straw and finally time to move my taxable account elsewhere. unfunctional website is the same as someone taking your money and you can't do anything about it. not a good feeling this morning.

time to go back to schwab or maybe try fidelity
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:35 am Can't place trades. Vanguard technology in action again.
It's multiple brokers, not just Vanguard.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:16 am
Well I have been successfully placing trades with Fidelity all morning with no issues. I had to logoff and back on once but that is it.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Their website is limping. Sometimes you can login, sometimes not. Once in a number of activities are not available. No problem at Fidelity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I cleared my entire cache and got in. They seem to have some database issues - the total isn't even close and they have a notice on the Balances and Holdings page that they are working to restore some information.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Using Quicken I can download form Schwab and Fidelity but not Vanguard.

New error message re Vanguard: "Quicken is unable to update your account because unexpected (Information) was received from your financial institution."

A short time ago the the error message was the standard "password" type message.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Merrill Edge no issues.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I just signed in and completed a exchange transaction online with no issues signing in or transacting. :D
Tom D.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I can log on but the Account Overview and Balance & Holdings pages get a "The page you requested could not be found" message.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

looks like they have rolled back to the old front page format. They do this sometimes when there is a problem. I actually like it better.
fatlever

Post by fatlever »

No issues for me with Fidelity, Schwab or Merrill Lynch. Can't even log in with Vanguard. Every time Vanguard has a problem which is often, we have people saying it's an issue with all brokerages and it's never the case for me. I am beginning to think people just make excuses for Vanguard saying that every place is having an issue. We've pretty much accepted that Vanguard has the worst tech as far as navigation, usability, performance and functionality. We've conceded their customer service gets worse every year. But now, their infrastructure seems to be falling apart too.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I was able to get in and place orders. Thankfully I am done needing to access Vanguard for the day.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 am I can log on but the Account Overview and Balance & Holdings pages get a "The page you requested could not be found" message.
same here.

UPDATE: i was able to log on just now.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
“One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese Proverb
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:16 am
No issues at E*TRADE, logged in very early this morning and again a few minutes ago to check current status.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Trying to place my order around 11:55. When I try to hit "continue" to submit the order, the button just kind of fade out into grade. On hold with Vanguard for 27 minutes now. Gave up.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

At the moment, it's not working on Chrome - I can log in, but immediately get a page not available error (We're sorry. The page you requested could not be found. If you used a bookmark or a favorite place to access this page, the link is no longer effective). It's working on Firefox - I was able to execute a trade.

I don't know if it's Chrome v Firefox or different cookies/settings or whatever.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Recent Marketwatch article. They seem to claim it is related to to the TSLA AAPL stock splits.

A lot of irrational trading then, if that is true.....

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/robin ... atest_news

Excerpt:
Saluzzi said that the problems appeared to be relegated to the retail platforms, as he didn’t see any hitches in professional trading systems. But when asked if there might be a connection between Monday’s trading snafu and changes occurring in the Dow and with shares of Tesla and Apple, the trading pro said: “Nothing is coincidental.“
geekpryde

Post by geekpryde »

Can't see my accounts once I logon to VG site, neither can my Quicken update my VG accounts. But if I try again, its says "log out" so it does seem to actually log you in, its just that its broken after that point.
itsmeagain

Post by itsmeagain »

This is ridiculous. It's been 3 hours now. First no one could log on at all. Now it seems everyone can log on, but their account pages are missing.

I'd gladly have Vanguard add 0.01% to their expenses in order to have some competence and reliability in their web interface.

Instead, we just get lots of pictures (advertisements) and lousy functionality.

At the very least, when Vanguard is having these technical issues (as they do every so often), they could post that information when the homepage comes up ... instead of showing us all those d*mn ads.