Don Phillips, former M* CEO is our Bogleheads on Investing podcast guest

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Don Phillips, former M* CEO is our Bogleheads on Investing podcast guest

Post by Rick Ferri »

This is a fast-moving, information-full podcast you won't want to miss. We cover everything from mutual funds to interest rates to cyber securities.

Episode 025: Don Phillips, host Rick Ferri

Don Phillips is the former CEO and a managing director of Morningstar, Inc. who remains involved in corporate strategy and investment research. He joined Morningstar in 1986 as the company’s first mutual fund analyst and soon became editor of its flagship publication, Morningstar Mutual Funds™, establishing the editorial voice for which the company is best known. Don helped to develop the Morningstar® Style Box™, the Morningstar® Rating™, and other innovations that have become industry standards.

Investment Advisor magazine named Don as one of the most influential people in the financial industry in 2006, and Financial Planning magazine named Phillips one of the planning industry’s “Movers & Shakers” in 2003. Don holds a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Texas and a master’s degree in American literature from the University of Chicago. 

This podcast is hosted by yours truly, Rick Ferri, CFA, a long-time Boglehead, author, and adviser. This podcast is supported by the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit organization approved by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) public charity on February 6, 2012.

Please make a tax-deductible donation the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy HERE.

Rick Ferri, CFA
Your Host
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Re: Don Phillips, former M* CEO is our Bogleheads on Investing podcast guest

Post by Rick Ferri »

This is a great interview! You'll learn a lot by listening.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Your list of great guests continues to amaze me, Rick. Keep up the good work.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Among other things, this podcast tells the fascinating story of the evolution of the Morningstar firm.

I truly enjoyed it.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Thanks Rick, this was very good. The question you asked Don about the Federal Reserve "modifying/easing" its inflation target and the ramifications of that for fixed income and retirees opened up a discussion that needs to explored in great depth.

Dave
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just finished listening. New investors might be interested in the wiki's backgrounder on style boxes:

- Style boxes (Stocks)
- Style boxes (Bonds)

=====================
The Morningstar ratings are discussed in this forum and give a different perspective than what was stated in the interview. Search the forum for "Morningstar ratings".

A few examples:
- Morningstar 5 star rating not meaningful., Oct 26, 2017
- "Morningstar Overhauls Influential Rating System", Jul 01, 2019
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I think Rick got the honest opinions out of Don Phillips.

I learned a few new and enlightening things from the podcast.

Thank you Rick for starting and maintaining BH podcasts.
John Z

Post by John Z »

I was able to start my successful investing career by reading Sheldon Jacobs' book on no load mutual funds and I followed that up with yearly publications of Morningstar Mutual Fund 500 authored by Don Phillips. I was able to sort through the losers and settle on 4 mutual funds which I held and added to for years. I fully appreciate the information they made available to investors.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Thanks for listening.

Rick Ferri
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

Thanks, Rick, I enjoyed this and your other conversations. Btw, I heard Morgan Housel on The White Coat Investor, and I wonder whether you have ever considered interviewing him for the Bogleheads podcast. I expect he is doing a lot of interviews since his new book is coming out next week.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

frugalecon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:23 pm I heard Morgan Housel on The White Coat Investor, and I wonder whether you have ever considered interviewing him for the Bogleheads podcast.
Morgan Housel is my next guest. We'll be discussing his upcoming book, The Psychology of Money: Timeless Lessons on Wealth, Greed, and Happiness

Rick Ferri
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:26 pm
frugalecon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:23 pm I heard Morgan Housel on The White Coat Investor, and I wonder whether you have ever considered interviewing him for the Bogleheads podcast.
Morgan Housel is my next guest. We'll be discussing his upcoming book, The Psychology of Money: Timeless Lessons on Wealth, Greed, and Happiness

Rick Ferri
Awesome! I must be clairvoyant! I have really enjoyed his financial writing, but his essay about overcoming his stutter was also very inspiring. (See: https://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/ ... ur-demons/)