Vanguard Short-Term Bond ETF (BSV)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Doc

Post by Doc »

BSV When did Vanguard start spelling it's name starting with a "B"? :shock:

Also available as an Admiral™ Shares mutual fund.

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/BSV

The Admiral share class Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBIRX).

The difference makes it hard to find the fund if you sort on ticker symbol which I often do.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
yules

Re: Vanguard Short-Term Bond ETF (BSV)

Post by yules »

Doc wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:57 am BSV When did Vanguard start spelling it's name starting with a "B"? :shock:

Also available as an Admiral™ Shares mutual fund.

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/BSV

The Admiral share class Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBIRX).

The difference makes it hard to find the fund if you sort on ticker symbol which I often do.
Thanks for the information.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I think it's always been spelled that way, and Vanguard has a number of fund and ETF names that don't begin with V. After all the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund is BND, the international bond mrket index fund is BNDX. The Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund is NAESX. And it appears that mutual funds never change their ticker symbols even when they morph into something new and wonderful; for example the AQR Multi-Asset Fund is no longer a risk parity fund but retains the symbol AQRIX. I am sure there are interesting stories about competition for desirable ticker symbols.

I mean ya gotta do due diligence. My personal shame is that I once bought the Vanguard FTSE All-World Ex-US stock index fund when I meant to buy the Total International Stock Fund because it never occurred to me that Vanguard would have two international stock index funds and Vanguard FTSE alphabetized first on the list I was looking it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:15 am I think it's always been spelled that way, and Vanguard has a number of fund and ETF names that don't begin with V. After all the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund is BND, the international bond mrket index fund is BNDX. The Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund is NAESX. And it appears that mutual funds never change their ticker symbols even when they morph into something new and wonderful; for example the AQR Multi-Asset Fund is no longer a risk parity fund but retains the symbol AQRIX. I am sure there are interesting stories about competition for desirable ticker symbols.
The reason for NAESX is that the fund used to be Naess and Associates fund; Vanguard took over the fund and made it into a small-cap index, but kept the ticker. (This doesn't always happen; Vanguard International Explorer, also a fund taken over by Vanguard, got a new ticker VINEX.)

I don't know how careful fund providers are about ticker symbols. I used to own VIVAX (Investor shares of Vanguard Value Index); this is a form of malaria.
Wiki David Grabiner
Angst

Post by Angst »

grabiner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:04 pm
nisiprius wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:15 am I think it's always been spelled that way, and Vanguard has a number of fund and ETF names that don't begin with V. After all the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund is BND, the international bond mrket index fund is BNDX. The Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund is NAESX. And it appears that mutual funds never change their ticker symbols even when they morph into something new and wonderful; for example the AQR Multi-Asset Fund is no longer a risk parity fund but retains the symbol AQRIX. I am sure there are interesting stories about competition for desirable ticker symbols.
The reason for NAESX is that the fund used to be Naess and Associates fund; Vanguard took over the fund and made it into a small-cap index, but kept the ticker. (This doesn't always happen; Vanguard International Explorer, also a fund taken over by Vanguard, got a new ticker VINEX.)

I don't know how careful fund providers are about ticker symbols. I used to own VIVAX (Investor shares of Vanguard Value Index); this is a form of malaria.
I actually owned it but I recall its name being the Naess Thomas Small Cap Fund. I owned it through Vanguard and my recollection is that it had that name with Vanguard for several years until it became Vanguard's small cap index fund.

Incidentally, there was a recent thread in which I believe more than one person objected to the actively managed U.S. Value Fund being subsumed into the indexed Vanguard (large cap) Value Fund, the point being it was losing its active mgmt in favor of indexing which might be considered unfair or inappropriate for present fund holders. I don't really care one way or another, but that's exactly what happened with the Naess Thomas fund some thirty or so years ago.
xenial

Post by xenial »

Angst wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 pm I actually owned it but I recall its name being the Naess Thomas Small Cap Fund. I owned it through Vanguard and my recollection is that it had that name with Vanguard for several years until it became Vanguard's small cap index fund.
Very close! According to the 1993 annual report for the Vanguard Small Capitalization Stock Fund, the name was actually Naess & Thomas Special Fund until 1989. This report is pretty interesting.
With the clarity of hindsight, we can now see that the past two decades composed one of the great cycles in the history of the financial markets, . . .

During the 1973-1982 decade, the nominal total returns (capital change plus income) of stocks and bonds averaged only about +6% per year; cash reserves averaged more than +8% annually. However, high inflation rates, averaging 8.7% annually, devastated these nominal results. Real returns (nominal returns less the inflation rate) for each of these three major asset classes were actually negative.

During the 1983-1992 decade, quite the opposite situation prevailed. Nominal returns for stocks and bonds were close to their highest levels in history and forged well into double-digit territory. To make a good investment environment even better, inflation was tame (averaging 3.8% annually), and real returns were solidly positive.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

The ETF has always been BSV... I owned the fund version of it a long time ago...
Back when Vanguard would give you "check writing" ability on short-term bond mutual funds and could direct deposit directly into a fund (in mutual fund only accounts). I practically used it like a bank account... which wasn't the smartest thing from a tax-management perspective, but it was convenient and nice place to stash money back when bonds yielded something.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
Doc

Post by Doc »

Trivia is a lot more fun than boring old indexing. :D
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Doc wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:57 am BSV When did Vanguard start spelling it's name starting with a "B"? :shock:
As well as E, I and M.

http://investor.vanguard.com/etf/list