Another "Investment Gem"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Another "Investment Gem"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Many years ago I began collecting valuable quotes from recognized investment authorities. I call them "Investment Gems."

This is my latest addition sent to me by a friend. It is one of the best:
Peter Di Teresa, Senior Analyst, Morningstar: "It usually takes a long time for investors to become sophisticated enough to realize how simple investing can be."
If you have a favorite quote about investing please post it here.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Learn every day, especially from the experience of others. It's cheaper."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Re: Another "Investment Gem"

Post by 000 »

Just saw this one, but it applies to a lot of discussions here about trying to "optimize" portfolios:
Jack Bogle wrote: As I have earlier noted, the most important things in life and in business can’t be measured. The trite bromide 'If you can measure it, you can manage it' has been a hindrance in the building a great real-world organization, just as it has been a hindrance in evaluating the real-world economy. It is character, not numbers, that make the world go ‘round.
rgs92

Re: Another "Investment Gem"

Post by rgs92 »

Peter Lynch: I have no idea which whether the next 1000 points on the Dow will be up or down, but I know the next 10,000 points will be up.

(He said this in 2001.)