Amusing wisdom from Johnathan Clements

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
heyyou

Amusing wisdom from Johnathan Clements

Post by heyyou » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:03 am

Clements presents facetious stock market news:
https://humbledollar.com/2020/07/just-another-day/
In market action yesterday, stock prices fluctuated—a development that shocked market observers who noted they hadn’t seen anything like that since the day before.
“It was yet another day when the sellers showed their hand, but buyers were hard to find,” said technical analyst Josephine Grandville, who has long struggled with the notion that every share sold is bought by someone.
“All this is setting us up for a vicious bear market,” reckoned Margaret Wolf, manager of the Perennially Bearish Fund, who—while convinced of the market’s ultimate direction—declined to specify when the downturn might occur, thus preserving her unassailable record as a forecaster.
Other facetious quotes are from
market strategist Ross Nodamus, who sits anxiously by his phone every market close, hoping some reporter will call and ask him to opine
hedge fund manager Rob M. Blind
bond fund manager Rusk de Fawlt

The takeaway is these would be less amusing if the quotes were not so near the truth about how daily stock market news is presented (and that we BHs should ignore).

At the Humble Dollar site, the July 26 article by Adam Grossman shows how index investing has been advantageous in the pandemic.

Fallible

Re: Amusing wisdom from Johnathan Clements

Post by Fallible » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:28 am

This is clever and, yes, much truth there that Bogleheads especially would appreciate. It reminds me of Jason Zweig's "The Devil's Financial Dictionary": humorous, even satirical, but also educational.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:39 am

I got lured into reading headlines for a few days while I rolled over my 401k. It should always be treated as entertainment (whose headlines I also read, often aloud: “someone I’ve never heard of may be dating someone else I’ve never heard of” remains a favorite). This was my favorite market recent financial news:

Headline: “Dow Jones Slides 200 Points On Coronavirus Fears”
Body: “The Dow Jones Industrial Average erased a 200-point loss on coronavirus fears midday Monday, as the stock market rally continues.”

In other news, somebody I’ve never heard of ....

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:23 am

Two guarantees: 1) the market will go up, 2) the market will go down :wink:
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.