??? about Jack's Don't Count on it! book

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BeachPerson

??? about Jack's Don't Count on it! book

Post by BeachPerson »

On Page 334 of Jack's Don't Count on it! book, it has
In March 2000, the month the market hit its high, there were 44 equity funds that advertised their performance in Money magazine. The average advertised annual return was +86 percent. Imagine! (During the next three years, these funds were to plummet by 39 percent.) Unsurprisingly, after the fall, in the October 2002 issue of Money there were only four funds that did so.
What does Jack mean by in the October 2002 issue of Money there were only four funds that did so?

These were the technologies and telecommunications funds. I thought they lost 80% of their value.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: ??? about Jack's Don't Count on it! book

Post by RadAudit »

BeachPerson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 am Unsurprisingly, after the fall, in the October 2002 issue of Money there were only four funds that did so.
Don't know. How about four equity funds that advertised their performance? That might fit. Why pay good money to remind you that they lost ~80% of your money? Heck, you already know what their stock picking did for you.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

RadAudit wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:14 am
BeachPerson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 am Unsurprisingly, after the fall, in the October 2002 issue of Money there were only four funds that did so.
Don't know. How about four equity funds that advertised their performance? That might fit. Why pay good money to remind you that they lost ~80% of your money? Heck, you already know what their stock picking did for you.
I agree. That is the logical conclusion.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

cherijoh wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40 am
RadAudit wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:14 am
I agree. That is the logical conclusion.
Agreed, I would interpret it as "four funds that advertised their performance."