Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

For me knowing what I should do, and doing it when I have the opportunity, is Wisdom

Not doing what I should have done, and now never needing to do it, just sounds like old fashioned Regret
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
dominque
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by dominque »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
Wanderingwheelz
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 am

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

As someone who has his toes right at cliffs edge, but has year to jump, this was a very helpful post to read through.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Topic Author
Keenobserver
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by Keenobserver »

dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
I suppose you are right. Not everyone should have children, especially if you know that you will not be able to cope with challenges and self sacrifice that is inherent in being a parent or grandparent.
retire2022
Posts: 1696
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by retire2022 »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:44 am
dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
I suppose you are right. Not everyone should have children, especially if you know that you will not be able to cope with challenges and self sacrifice that is inherent in being a parent or grandparent.
I love my pet rabbit more than any child, I had volunteered early in my 30's local youth group, help them out, so I given back to my community. In hindsight at 60 male, I don't miss the need for my own progeny.

My mother wanted grandchildren, it was not in the cards, years ago it would have cost lots of money. I chose money and friends instead, they have kids, I get along with them without responsibilities. Children born today would cost at least 300K.

I told my mom to go visit her niece's kids.
Last edited by retire2022 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoops777
Posts: 3330
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by hoops777 »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:26 am
FireHorse wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm
"childhood is like driving through a small town, you blink and it is over." If I had it to do over again I would like to be more on task with child raising.
100% agree with this statement.

The thing is that when kids were young we were young too, we had family to raise and mortgage to pay. Everything was new to us, get married, had kids, bought a house and then first child went to kinder garden, yay....all new experiences; on top of that, we still had a job and career to achieve; we were stressed and tried to handle everything at short period of time. All of sudden, the kids are grown up. During the chaos, some marriage succeeded and some failed.
Being retired in my 40s and raising my child as they go through elementary school is interesting. Especially watching them see things with fresh eyes

I hear a lot of parents wish that they could’ve been more present during their child’s upbringing

I spend all day every day with my child

On the one hand I don’t think I’ll be one of those parents who say that they wish they had spent more time with their child. I can’t spend more time with mine even if I wanted to

On the other hand I try not to take it for granted, but I sometimes do

When I hear parents of adult children talk about how much more time they could’ve spent with their kids growing up, it sounds like they’re describing a life that could have been. For me, what they’re describing is just my life

Most of my peers are too busy working to hang out. And many in my parent’s cohort are busy looking after grandkids
I never had any kids of my own, but as a step grandpa, I have almost spent more time with my my grandkids than their parents because of their jobs.
Best experience of my life and I would urge all parents to work a little less if possible. Your children are only young once.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 am
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:26 am
FireHorse wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm
"childhood is like driving through a small town, you blink and it is over." If I had it to do over again I would like to be more on task with child raising.
100% agree with this statement.

The thing is that when kids were young we were young too, we had family to raise and mortgage to pay. Everything was new to us, get married, had kids, bought a house and then first child went to kinder garden, yay....all new experiences; on top of that, we still had a job and career to achieve; we were stressed and tried to handle everything at short period of time. All of sudden, the kids are grown up. During the chaos, some marriage succeeded and some failed.
Being retired in my 40s and raising my child as they go through elementary school is interesting. Especially watching them see things with fresh eyes

I hear a lot of parents wish that they could’ve been more present during their child’s upbringing

I spend all day every day with my child

On the one hand I don’t think I’ll be one of those parents who say that they wish they had spent more time with their child. I can’t spend more time with mine even if I wanted to

On the other hand I try not to take it for granted, but I sometimes do

When I hear parents of adult children talk about how much more time they could’ve spent with their kids growing up, it sounds like they’re describing a life that could have been. For me, what they’re describing is just my life

Most of my peers are too busy working to hang out. And many in my parent’s cohort are busy looking after grandkids
I never had any kids of my own, but as a step grandpa, I have almost spent more time with my my grandkids than their parents because of their jobs.
Best experience of my life and I would urge all parents to work a little less if possible. Your children are only young once.
+1

Solid advice. Most parents can’t/won’t

For some, better to regret later than take care of kids now
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
+1

Kids aren’t as great as some parents sell them

There needs to exist some level of indoctrination and self-delusion
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
retire2022
Posts: 1696
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by retire2022 »

regarding children there is a good thread about this here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=321017
friar1610
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: MA South Shore

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by friar1610 »

Marmot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:31 am Your time is your own. Greatest thing, no alarm clock. My wife and I were working on one of our rental units yesterday (about 10am) and I looked at her and asked the big question..."would you prefer to be here doing this or on a conference call"? We always seemed to have 10am conference calls , just a thing I guess. You will always be doing something, you just get to choose it mostly. You can decide when to go somewhere when you want. Don't have to worry about vacation time or what mayhem "Johnny" at work will cause while you are gone. I certainly don't miss performance appraisals (ex HR director), reporting to people whom I can't respect, following policies that are ill thought out ...so ...my time is my own.
We previously lived in Vermont and used to paddle our kayaks on Lake Champlain. Sitting there on a beautiful day looking at the Adirondacks I often used to say to my wife: Somewhere on the Beltway some poor b@$t@rd is caught in a horrendous traffic jam, is late for a really important meeting that he has no hope of making and is really stressed out about it all. At one time that was me but it's not today!
Friar1610
Topic Author
Keenobserver
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by Keenobserver »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 am
dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
+1

Kids aren’t as great as some parents sell them

There needs to exist some level of indoctrination and self-delusion
Indoctrination and delusion to have kids? I would beg to differ. As a matter of fact, evolutionary biology might say your only purpose to exist is to reproduce, so if you chose not to, it might be considered an abnormality, requiring indoctrination and denial of the most basic of bilogical mechanisms. Also, an organism since it only exists to reproduce, might be labelled as worthless if it does not from a evolutionary scientific POV. You can disgree with this POV , of course, however, saying that onemust be delusional and indoctrinated to have children does not stand bear out. Again, not everyone is cut out to be selfless and caring enough to have children, and , therefore, should not have any.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by WoodSpinner »

friar1610 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:48 pm
Marmot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:31 am Your time is your own. Greatest thing, no alarm clock. My wife and I were working on one of our rental units yesterday (about 10am) and I looked at her and asked the big question..."would you prefer to be here doing this or on a conference call"? We always seemed to have 10am conference calls , just a thing I guess. You will always be doing something, you just get to choose it mostly. You can decide when to go somewhere when you want. Don't have to worry about vacation time or what mayhem "Johnny" at work will cause while you are gone. I certainly don't miss performance appraisals (ex HR director), reporting to people whom I can't respect, following policies that are ill thought out ...so ...my time is my own.
We previously lived in Vermont and used to paddle our kayaks on Lake Champlain. Sitting there on a beautiful day looking at the Adirondacks I often used to say to my wife: Somewhere on the Beltway some poor b@$t@rd is caught in a horrendous traffic jam, is late for a really important meeting that he has no hope of making and is really stressed out about it all. At one time that was me but it's not today!
Kindred spirits! Nothing like being in a Kayak on calm waters watching nature and enjoying the Outdoors!

Not dealing with the Commute is one of the greatest joys of Retirement and a major Stress eliminated.

WoodSpinner
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 am
dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
+1

Kids aren’t as great as some parents sell them

There needs to exist some level of indoctrination and self-delusion
Indoctrination and delusion to have kids? I would beg to differ. As a matter of fact, evolutionary biology might say your only purpose to exist is to reproduce, so if you chose not to, it might be considered an abnormality, requiring indoctrination and denial of the most basic of bilogical mechanisms. Also, an organism since it only exists to reproduce, might be labelled as worthless if it does not from a evolutionary scientific POV. You can disgree with this POV , of course, however, saying that onemust be delusional and indoctrinated to have children does not stand bear out. Again, not everyone is cut out to be selfless and caring enough to have children, and , therefore, should not have any.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires some level of indoctrination or self-delusion created by the chemicals in the body
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
like2read
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by like2read »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?

If you are on the fence, go for it. Your world will be enlarged and expanded. If like me, you will get outside of yourself and appreciate a much larger world.

From someone who married late and has one beautiful daughter.

l2r :happy
User avatar
One Ping
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by One Ping »

... that my expenses were a lot less than I thought they would be.

My wife and I basically hadn't limited our spending in any way and our expenses were about 18% less than I'd expected.

Even more interesting, since early March we've been basically locked down due to covid and, while not necessarily fun, it has not been an extreme hardship either. We've seen what I would consider to be our basic, but tolerable, living expenses be at a level 40% below what I'd been planning for pre-retirement. If needed we could we could probably cut another 10-20% if we HAD to. That is actually a great comfort. If covid doesn't kill us, we will be much more relaxed about our finances going forward.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
Topic Author
Keenobserver
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by Keenobserver »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 am
dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
+1

Kids aren’t as great as some parents sell them

There needs to exist some level of indoctrination and self-delusion
Indoctrination and delusion to have kids? I would beg to differ. As a matter of fact, evolutionary biology might say your only purpose to exist is to reproduce, so if you chose not to, it might be considered an abnormality, requiring indoctrination and denial of the most basic of bilogical mechanisms. Also, an organism since it only exists to reproduce, might be labelled as worthless if it does not from a evolutionary scientific POV. You can disgree with this POV , of course, however, saying that onemust be delusional and indoctrinated to have children does not stand bear out. Again, not everyone is cut out to be selfless and caring enough to have children, and , therefore, should not have any.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires some level of indoctrination or self-delusion created by the chemicals in the body
Its not " some" indoctrination as you say, but the sole reason you exist from a evolutionary biological view. So if you are not going to reproduce, you might as well not exist as you are taking up and wasting valuable resources while not contributing to the survival of the species. Again, it doesnt have to be a view you adapt, but its not just " some" chemicals, but an overwhelming urge inherent in all forms life.
texasdiver
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by texasdiver »

Not retired yet and no epiphanies to share. But I already know what my epiphany will be when it finally comes:

Knowing when enough is enough.

For us it is especially complicated because we have three kids ages 14, 17, and 22. Without kids in the picture, the "enough is enough" calculation becomes a whole lot easier I think.
tibbitts
Posts: 12281
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by tibbitts »

One Ping wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 pm ... that my expenses were a lot less than I thought they would be.

My wife and I basically hadn't limited our spending in any way and our expenses were about 18% less than I'd expected.

Even more interesting, since early March we've been basically locked down due to covid and, while not necessarily fun, it has not been an extreme hardship either. We've seen what I would consider to be our basic, but tolerable, living expenses be at a level 40% below what I'd been planning for pre-retirement. If needed we could we could probably cut another 10-20% if we HAD to. That is actually a great comfort. If covid doesn't kill us, we will be much more relaxed about our finances going forward.
Depending on how long they anticipate Covid-related restrictions will last, some people might want to retire sooner than planned, because expenses will be so much less than anticipated. A few years of dramatically reduced expenses would be perhaps 10% of a retirement lifetime, and if you only spend 50% as much as anticipated during that time, you'd reduce lifetime retirement expenses by about 5%.
tibbitts
Posts: 12281
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by tibbitts »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:28 pm Does anyone here regrett not having kids, or not havijg enoguh kids ?
Probably, like most people, I'd say regrets in some ways, but not in others. You never know how an alternate path in life would have turned out.
2018Freedom
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by 2018Freedom »

I wish I had saved more in after-tax to more easily pay for Roth conversions. I retired at 64, now 66, and would have done well if I retired earlier. My most positive achievement was to maximize my 401k, IRA, and SIMPLE Ira (consulting) for decades. Have more than I can spend.
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 am
dominque wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 am

No. I'm watching a close friend raise his grandkids and this has further ensured me that I made the correct choice.
+1

Kids aren’t as great as some parents sell them

There needs to exist some level of indoctrination and self-delusion
Indoctrination and delusion to have kids? I would beg to differ. As a matter of fact, evolutionary biology might say your only purpose to exist is to reproduce, so if you chose not to, it might be considered an abnormality, requiring indoctrination and denial of the most basic of bilogical mechanisms. Also, an organism since it only exists to reproduce, might be labelled as worthless if it does not from a evolutionary scientific POV. You can disgree with this POV , of course, however, saying that onemust be delusional and indoctrinated to have children does not stand bear out. Again, not everyone is cut out to be selfless and caring enough to have children, and , therefore, should not have any.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires some level of indoctrination or self-delusion created by the chemicals in the body
Its not " some" indoctrination as you say, but the sole reason you exist from a evolutionary biological view. So if you are not going to reproduce, you might as well not exist as you are taking up and wasting valuable resources while not contributing to the survival of the species. Again, it doesnt have to be a view you adapt, but its not just " some" chemicals, but an overwhelming urge inherent in all forms life.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires complete indoctrination and self-delusion

Feel better?
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
B. Wellington
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by B. Wellington »

WoodSpinner wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm
friar1610 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:48 pm
Marmot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:31 am Your time is your own. Greatest thing, no alarm clock. My wife and I were working on one of our rental units yesterday (about 10am) and I looked at her and asked the big question..."would you prefer to be here doing this or on a conference call"? We always seemed to have 10am conference calls , just a thing I guess. You will always be doing something, you just get to choose it mostly. You can decide when to go somewhere when you want. Don't have to worry about vacation time or what mayhem "Johnny" at work will cause while you are gone. I certainly don't miss performance appraisals (ex HR director), reporting to people whom I can't respect, following policies that are ill thought out ...so ...my time is my own.
We previously lived in Vermont and used to paddle our kayaks on Lake Champlain. Sitting there on a beautiful day looking at the Adirondacks I often used to say to my wife: Somewhere on the Beltway some poor b@$t@rd is caught in a horrendous traffic jam, is late for a really important meeting that he has no hope of making and is really stressed out about it all. At one time that was me but it's not today!
Kindred spirits! Nothing like being in a Kayak on calm waters watching nature and enjoying the Outdoors!

Not dealing with the Commute is one of the greatest joys of Retirement and a major Stress eliminated.

WoodSpinner
+2

FWIW, years ago I WAS that poor commuter on the beltway. (I-95 outside of Washington D.C. in my case.) :shock:
Topic Author
Keenobserver
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by Keenobserver »

flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 am

+1

Kids aren’t as great as some parents sell them

There needs to exist some level of indoctrination and self-delusion
Indoctrination and delusion to have kids? I would beg to differ. As a matter of fact, evolutionary biology might say your only purpose to exist is to reproduce, so if you chose not to, it might be considered an abnormality, requiring indoctrination and denial of the most basic of bilogical mechanisms. Also, an organism since it only exists to reproduce, might be labelled as worthless if it does not from a evolutionary scientific POV. You can disgree with this POV , of course, however, saying that onemust be delusional and indoctrinated to have children does not stand bear out. Again, not everyone is cut out to be selfless and caring enough to have children, and , therefore, should not have any.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires some level of indoctrination or self-delusion created by the chemicals in the body
Its not " some" indoctrination as you say, but the sole reason you exist from a evolutionary biological view. So if you are not going to reproduce, you might as well not exist as you are taking up and wasting valuable resources while not contributing to the survival of the species. Again, it doesnt have to be a view you adapt, but its not just " some" chemicals, but an overwhelming urge inherent in all forms life.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires complete indoctrination and self-delusion

Feel better?
I think we can both agree that the world is a better place with you not being a parent. Again, parenthood is not for everyone, and if you really feel inept, than you did the world a favor by not furthering the mutliplication of your genome. That is your choice, but for you to claim that those who.have kids must be indocrinatrd or brainwashed is just a defense mechanism to fight your doubts/ regrets. Im not trying to.be obtuse nor do I intend to offend.
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

Keenobserver wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm
Indoctrination and delusion to have kids? I would beg to differ. As a matter of fact, evolutionary biology might say your only purpose to exist is to reproduce, so if you chose not to, it might be considered an abnormality, requiring indoctrination and denial of the most basic of bilogical mechanisms. Also, an organism since it only exists to reproduce, might be labelled as worthless if it does not from a evolutionary scientific POV. You can disgree with this POV , of course, however, saying that onemust be delusional and indoctrinated to have children does not stand bear out. Again, not everyone is cut out to be selfless and caring enough to have children, and , therefore, should not have any.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires some level of indoctrination or self-delusion created by the chemicals in the body
Its not " some" indoctrination as you say, but the sole reason you exist from a evolutionary biological view. So if you are not going to reproduce, you might as well not exist as you are taking up and wasting valuable resources while not contributing to the survival of the species. Again, it doesnt have to be a view you adapt, but its not just " some" chemicals, but an overwhelming urge inherent in all forms life.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires complete indoctrination and self-delusion

Feel better?
I think we can both agree that the world is a better place with you not being a parent. Again, parenthood is not for everyone, and if you really feel inept, than you did the world a favor by not furthering the mutliplication of your genome. That is your choice, but for you to claim that those who.have kids must be indocrinatrd or brainwashed is just a defense mechanism to fight your doubts/ regrets. Im not trying to.be obtuse nor do I intend to offend.
Who said that I wasn’t a parent? 🤷‍♂️

We’re saying the same thing just differently. You use the term “evolutionary biology” and I use the terms “indoctrination“ and “self-delusion“

Tomahto Tomayto
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
LPCes81
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by LPCes81 »

flaccidsteele wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires some level of indoctrination or self-delusion created by the chemicals in the body
Its not " some" indoctrination as you say, but the sole reason you exist from a evolutionary biological view. So if you are not going to reproduce, you might as well not exist as you are taking up and wasting valuable resources while not contributing to the survival of the species. Again, it doesnt have to be a view you adapt, but its not just " some" chemicals, but an overwhelming urge inherent in all forms life.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires complete indoctrination and self-delusion

Feel better?
I think we can both agree that the world is a better place with you not being a parent. Again, parenthood is not for everyone, and if you really feel inept, than you did the world a favor by not furthering the mutliplication of your genome. That is your choice, but for you to claim that those who.have kids must be indocrinatrd or brainwashed is just a defense mechanism to fight your doubts/ regrets. Im not trying to.be obtuse nor do I intend to offend.
Who said that I wasn’t a parent? 🤷‍♂️

We’re saying the same thing just differently. You use the term “evolutionary biology” and I use the terms “indoctrination“ and “self-delusion“

Tomahto Tomayto
If you are a parent, you come off as miserable. Just my honest opinion.
flaccidsteele
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by flaccidsteele »

LPCes81 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:46 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm
flaccidsteele wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm

Its not " some" indoctrination as you say, but the sole reason you exist from a evolutionary biological view. So if you are not going to reproduce, you might as well not exist as you are taking up and wasting valuable resources while not contributing to the survival of the species. Again, it doesnt have to be a view you adapt, but its not just " some" chemicals, but an overwhelming urge inherent in all forms life.
Sure. I’ll buy that

To be a parent requires complete indoctrination and self-delusion

Feel better?
I think we can both agree that the world is a better place with you not being a parent. Again, parenthood is not for everyone, and if you really feel inept, than you did the world a favor by not furthering the mutliplication of your genome. That is your choice, but for you to claim that those who.have kids must be indocrinatrd or brainwashed is just a defense mechanism to fight your doubts/ regrets. Im not trying to.be obtuse nor do I intend to offend.
Who said that I wasn’t a parent? 🤷‍♂️

We’re saying the same thing just differently. You use the term “evolutionary biology” and I use the terms “indoctrination“ and “self-delusion“

Tomahto Tomayto
If you are a parent, you come off as miserable. Just my honest opinion.
I’m feeling fantastic!

In psychology another person’s perceptions is a reflection of how they see themselves

I love hearing other people’s opinions. It tells me a lot about them 👍
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 2222
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Retirees, share your epiphanies..

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread has run its course. As a reminder, this sub forum is about investing.
Locked