Futures are 1+% up and the coronavirus crisis is getting worse

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Always passive

Futures are 1+% up and the coronavirus crisis is getting worse

Post by Always passive »

Futures are 1+% up and the coronavirus crisis is getting worse. Does it make sense? What is the market thinking?
Another proof that B&H is the only way. Does anyone care to comment?
hammond

Re: Futures are 1+% up and the coronavirus crisis is getting worse

Post by hammond »

Stay the course. Ride the wave.

If you can hold down a job and contribute every pay check, just look back at this time.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

it's trading in a range 3000-3200, we may just be sideways in this for a while, that is my thought.

Scott Gottlieb recently stated that one way or the other Covid19 will be gone by Jan 21.. either through critical mass (a very bad outcome) or by way of vaccines/therapeutics. Either way things should start normalizing next year. Market may be pricing for that.
celia

Post by celia »

Always passive wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 am Futures are 1+% up and the coronavirus crisis is getting worse. Does it make sense? What is the market thinking?
I don't think the markets and the virus are talking to each other!
Cantrip

Post by Cantrip »

Always passive wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 am Futures are 1+% up and the coronavirus crisis is getting worse. Does it make sense? What is the market thinking?
This weekend Warren Buffet made his first purchase since the pandemic started. I think this will coax some skittish value investors into the market.
black jack

Post by black jack »

In the long run, markets are rational, but: "markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."
Attributed to John Maynard Keynes.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Markets are forward looking, and at the present time it appears that some investors are looking past the virus to better times. They know that times were good before the virus and apparently feel that those good times will return for investors once the virus is finally defeated, or at least is under control.

Obviously the conviction isn't that great, though, as we've seen crazy swings both up and down in the recent past. Seems like any positive or negative news can drive the market in one direction or the other on an almost daily basis. Fickle times, indeed.

All you can do is have a well-though-out plan, own the market with low-cost index funds and then stay the course. Realize that there will be bumps in the road, but in the long run, you should be fine.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

My comment is that WSB has discussed this issue almost every day and is way funnier than Bogleheads.
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Cantrip wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:25 am
This weekend Warren Buffet made his first purchase since the pandemic started. I think this will coax some skittish value investors into the market.
Buffet's record has not been good recently.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:43 am My comment is that WSB has discussed this issue almost every day and is way funnier than Bogleheads.
With the exception of the soaring/falling threads here, for which I really enjoy the daily commentary/banter... I do enjoy a peek at r/wallstreetbets or to a lesser degree r/investing for the amusement factor. Especially the threads that go "I saw on youtube this stock of a bankrupt company is going to rocket so I'm putting my life savings into it, what do you think?" followed by a chorus of agreement. Then I come back here for actual learning...
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

deleted
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

Suspect that the market thinks that the government's response to the crisis will cause inflation. With inflation, stock prices will have to go up just to stay even. Also, all the near 0% bonds will plummet in value once inflation kicks in. Thus investors are preferring equities over bonds.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A number of posts discussing the coronavirus have been removed. As a reminder, the main intent of the post must be on-topic, which is Futures.

To avoid further coronavirus posts, this thread has run its course and is locked. See: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.