Vanguard - legacy acct --> brokerage acct and mutual funds --> ETF

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
ps56k

Vanguard - legacy acct --> brokerage acct and mutual funds --> ETF

Post by ps56k » Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 am

Vanguard has been migrating users from their legacy mutual fund only accts to a Vanguard brokerage account.
Received my email.... and it will happen between now and 2022...

SO... a 2-part question and discussion.

#1 - Any issues when I move from a Vanguard mutual fund only acct ---> Vanguard brokerage acct

#2 - Does it make sense at that point to also make the migration from "Vanguard mutual fund" to Vanguard ETF ?
(this has been discussed, with the manual telephone call to initiate the migration)

Nate79

Re: Vanguard - legacy acct --> brokerage acct and mutual funds --> ETF

Post by Nate79 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:42 pm

ps56k wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 am
Vanguard has been migrating users from their legacy mutual fund only accts to a Vanguard brokerage account.
Received my email.... and it will happen between now and 2022...

SO... a 2-part question and discussion.

#1 - Any issues when I move from a Vanguard mutual fund only acct ---> Vanguard brokerage acct

#2 - Does it make sense at that point to also make the migration from "Vanguard mutual fund" to Vanguard ETF ?
(this has been discussed, with the manual telephone call to initiate the migration)
Have you read the hundreds of threads on this exact topic?

jeffyscott

Re: Vanguard - legacy acct --> brokerage acct and mutual funds --> ETF

Post by jeffyscott » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

ps56k wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 am
Only if you want to own ETFs instead of mutual funds. But if that were the case, I would think that you'd have already moved some time ago.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle