Bogleheads: What is your largest single stock holding? (if any)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Nowizard

Re: Bogleheads: What is your largest single stock holding? (if any)

Post by Nowizard »

Amazon, though less than 1/2 percent individually, considerably more if you consider funds.

Tim
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

1. The company I work for
2. About 15%
3. I have no choice in the matter

It’s an S-Corp and an ESOP which has done very well in share value growth as well as 8-10% dividends each year for the past two decades. So I certainly can’t complain about the results, but I’d never choose to have this much invested in a single medium sized company. Especially the one that also pays my salary.

Shares can only be transacted upon leaving the company and I’m quite happy working there so I’ll be along for the ride for a while longer yet.
Last edited by thx1138 on Wed May 27, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

We have some from pre-boglehead days making up about 6.5%, 5%, and 4.5%. they are pretty much all gains (42x, 53x, and 318x), so taxes would be steep. The last two are blue-chips, the largest is a wilder ride. We've sold and donated some, but still holding mostly due to taxes.
Robert_007

Post by Robert_007 »

Berkshire- 3 percent

I’m planning on gradually increasing my position to 20 percent of my portfolio
Toons

Post by Toons »

Linde (LIN)
Walmart
Mickey D's
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Don't we all own 2% of MSFT, AAPL, and AMZN in S&P or TSM?
ebeard

Post by ebeard »

1. None
2. 0%
3. Jack Bogle said own the whole market, so, I own the whole market.
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

Central Depository Services Limited. It has 7% of my total assets. This company is operating in a duopoly market and is having zero debt and good ROE. This company is a bet on the financialization of Indian savings. Most of India people is invested in Physical Gold and Real Estate and not invested in financial assets like western countries due to black money. With the recent demonetisation and import duty,customs duty on Gold these two assets are going to become less popular. It also having growth opportunities from compulsory dematarializtion of unlisted companies.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I have an account at a local credit union, which is technically a "share" of ownership... although not a publicly traded stock.
I own mutual funds, which are technically shares of a open-end regulated investment company, but I suppose that's not what you mean either.
So, zero.. none.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
marklearnsbogle

Post by marklearnsbogle »

KlingKlang wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 am My only single stock holding is RPM , 0.5%. Purchased 09/21/2001. 90% long term capital gains plus the dividend increases every year.
Are you continuing to invest in RPM, and/or reinvesting dividends?
"Nothing is simpler than owning the stock market and holding it forever, and that’s essentially the idea behind the index fund.” - Bogle.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

According to my IPS, I don't own individual sticks and am not going to start buying them.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

statefan03 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 am
unclescrooge wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 pm
simplesauce wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 am
1. What is your largest single stock holding?

2. What % of your portfolio is in this company?

3. What is your reason for keeping this holding? (capital gain, belief in the company, etc.)
Altria(MO)
0.33% of portfolio
Dividends
I looked at Altria due to a stellar dividend. However it looks way too risky. Negative Earnings, profit, and return on equity. Yikes.
I no longer have the bandwidth to read the financials or do a DCF, but Morningstar does. So I use their fair market value estimate. It's currently $54 and the stock trades at $38.

Good enough for me.

Besides, it's scratching an itch to own stocks. It's success or failure is immaterial to my long term success.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

Johnson & Johnson, about 2%. Sentimental favorite, my Dad worked for them 1950's into 60's.
theorist

Post by theorist »

Robert_007 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 am Berkshire- 3 percent

I’m planning on gradually increasing my position to 20 percent of my portfolio
Are you not worried about what happens (both to the skill with which float and other excess cash is invested, and the businesses) after Warren and Charlie pass the mantle on to a next generation? This has to happen soon, and the market may react adversely even if the businesses are churning along smoothly and the investment portfolio is solid. (I’m genuinely curious, I’m deciding whether to slightly increase my holding or not.)
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

Looks like I'm the outlier. 30%+ of TNW in single stock my current tier-1 mega-tech employer, excluding additional holdings in funds. Accumulated through years of RSU and ESPP. Kept most of it and SO glad I did. I'm long on it and will keep on accumulating until I retire.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

I've held Alphabet (GOOGL, and GOOG when it split) for many years. During the run-up over the past decade, because it is included in my VTSAX, VOO, and TSP-C funds, it grew to be over 5% of my overall portfolio. So I donated all my GOOG shares to my Donor Advised Fund last year.
Last edited by BruinBones on Wed May 27, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

BruinBones wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:37 am So I donated all my GOOG shares to my Donor Advised Fund last year.
Good for you, I'm sure your good-well is appreciated especially in times like this. I plan on doing that for a portion of my holdings as well.
Topic Author
simplesauce

Post by simplesauce »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 am Don't we all own 2% of MSFT, AAPL, and AMZN in S&P or TSM?
Yes, however I meant outside of index funds. In other words, an active choice in a company.
CABob

Post by CABob »

1. What is your largest single stock holding? NOC.

2. What % of your portfolio is in this company? Just above 5% plus another 0.5 % in a spin off to another company.

3. What is your reason for keeping this holding? (capital gain, belief in the company, etc.) Former employer. It was taken from my 401k when I retired. I have no particular attachment to the stock or the company, but it has now gotten to the point that I don't want to pay capital gains if I should sell. With some luck I may pass it on to heirs at a change in cost.
Bob
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

1. What is your largest single stock holding? Visa

2. What % of your portfolio is in this company? about 6%

3. What is your reason for keeping this holding? (capital gain, belief in the company, etc.) I believe in the company and think its going to grow. I also have already sold enough to cover my original share cost so I'm playing with house money. Its been a great stock so far.
l1am

Post by l1am »

MSFT 12%

Capital gains taxes.

Don’t reinvest dividends, don’t contribute, but the stock has done so well it’s still a high percentage.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Currently Delta. 1.5%. Pulled the trigger on that one a hair too early and felt obligated to average down over the last couple weeks.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Imagolfer2

Post by Imagolfer2 »

Top 5 all within mutual funds: Microsoft 1.61%, Eli Lily 0.93%, Apple 0.91%, Alibaba 0.90%, Amazon 0.90%
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

BRKB - Berkshire B one stock
zeal

Post by zeal »

The only individual stock I've ever owned is my company stock, currently ~3% of my portfolio. However, I consider this play money, not retirement money.

I usually sell immediately after it's awarded at end of quarter, but this time I decided to hold it for another quarter to see what happens since the buy price was so low. Currently up ~30%. I should probably just sell today since it's back to pre-covid price.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

A little over 7% of my net worth is held in my company's stock. Based on my job title, I am required to hold a certain % of my annual salary in company stock, so there it sits. No complaints, though, I've built up over $200k of gains over the course of a half dozen years. At the point of my separation from the company, I'll likely use these shares as the source for all future donations to my DAF.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

GOOGL
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

AAPL and INTC -- but they are dropping (only 6% of portfolio). They are old, and highly appreciated, and fund my charity (via DAF) until they are gone.
dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas »

1. Two De Novo bank stocks that we bought when I was working in Alabama. I grew up in a small town, the local banks made a good deal of money. So when the opportunity arose, we bought a little stock. We didn’t have much money either time, so we are just along for the ride. There were three de novo banks opened in the area between 2000 and 2008, I found out about two of them and we happened to have a little cash when the opportunities came along.

2. 5-6% of our investments headed for about 1% since one of the banks was just sold (bought 2000, dividends had more than paid back our initial investment and were running at 25% of the initial investment per year, sale price is $80, cost basis of initial shares is $10, I bought a little more for $37.50 about five years ago—that works out to be a pretty good return). The other pays about a 3% dividend calculated off the purchase price.

3. Return has been good and it is not that easy to sell private investments, though we had the opportunity for one and declined.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

260chrisb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:53 pm
260chrisb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 pm Starbucks (SBUX) that I purchased in late 2008 or early 2009 very cheaply although not at it's low as it was getting beat up pretty badly. Seems like my buy in was around $9.00-10.00?? Last year I joked with my advisor who manages the account it's in that I'll sell it in my early years of retirement or when it hits $100.00. I wouldn't have sold it but it did get to $99.00 last year at one point which I didn't realize at the time. It's now about 3-4% of my portfolio due to it's growth over the past 10-12 years, I'm not sure if I'll sell it anytime soon, and have never added to my position. There were plenty of opportunities to do so in March as it was getting beat up again but I didn't have any extra money to do so.

The reason I bought it was that I believed in and loved the company and loved the fact that they sold additive products globally to practically every segment of society and especially the young who would in turn buy them again forever almost daily! Same reason I bought Chipotle (CMG) in late 2017, early 2018 when they had problems. Chipotle is not global but make great products that are targeted at the all consuming youth of society as well as a wide range of older consumers. CMG is 1-2% of my portfolio.
I bought Starbucks about the same time, it was selling in single digits. It climbed rather nicely, split once when I was holding.

My DDs would drag me to the mall and I would see long lines of people waiting to buy an expensive cup of coffee. Seemed to be a money-printing business, so I bought some of the stock.

Starbucks paid for my expensive wind-rated windows, thank you very much!

I used to buy a few battered stocks on the side each time the market declined a good amount. I would sell when they recovered, and wait again. I always bought at least 5 stocks, as I knew I would get a stinker in the group each time. And I did. But Starbucks made the overall portfolio of individual stocks smell pretty sweet.

Broken Man 1999
Yep, it's a money printing business for sure. It's all about getting the young consumer hooked for life. It's a lifestyle; you order a unique and personal item and pay good money for it repeatedly. Chipotle is very similar; look at the lines and the demographic. Both good solid companies in my opinion and both a value buy when I bought IMO.
Another SBUX owner here with this holding now in our Roth IRA (having converted all shares from tIRA to Roth). Purchased shares in 1996 and it now represents about 7% of our investment portfolio (which does not include real estate holdings). I bought the shares after a business trip to Seattle and liked the coffee, recognizing that there is a incredibly high profit margin in each cup of coffee (was told this by donut and bagel shop owners in metro areas). We used to get annual reports that included a Starbucks gift card for a number of years, when SBUX was pioneering with gift cards. I collected a few of these vintage cards but misplaced them. Wife and I are Starbucks regulars at each area we've lived or worked since 1996. We collect Starbucks coffee mugs at cities we visit. We'll probably sell half of our holdings in the next few years to lock in some profits.

I also had purchased MSFT in the early 1990's, but when I started moving out of downsizing individual stocks to index funds -- I traded those shares in 2012 (also in my tIRA) -- I wish I hadn't done that as MSFT since then has surpassed the returns I've had on the indexed funds.