Bogleheads: What is your largest single stock holding? (if any)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
simplesauce

Bogleheads: What is your largest single stock holding? (if any)

Post by simplesauce » Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 am

Clearly the majority of Bogleheads (including myself) are index fund investors for life. However many of us came here from prior investment philosophies, and perhaps you are still holding a few single stocks in your portfolio for the long-term. I am curious to hear some of your answers:

1. What is your largest single stock holding?

2. What % of your portfolio is in this company?

3. What is your reason for keeping this holding? (capital gain, belief in the company, etc.)

EDIT: Great responses! Thank you! I am glad to see that Bogleheads are true to their beliefs, and seemingly only have a few percent or less in individual stocks. This is very reassuring.
Last edited by simplesauce on Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Bogleheads: What is your largest single stock holding? (if any)

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 am

BRK/b. 3%. I wanted to get into something that didn't spill dividends as I approach retirement. It's the only single stock I own.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 am

MSFT - Microsoft

.287% (yes, less than 1/2 of 1 percent) of entire equity portfolio.

Bought it a few years back, has gone up 384%.

Next one is Pfizer, .112% of entire portfolio.

In total, only own 8 individual company stocks with play money. The other ones are are less than $500.

As you can tell, have gone pretty strongly with the BH theory :)

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 am

Amazon, Google and NVIDIA are each about 3% of my portfolio. All have done extremely well and I have owned them for a number of years due to belief in the company and that they were actually cheap on a relative basis to the broader market when I bought them based on their P/E and growth prospects.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue May 26, 2020 9:35 am

Microsoft. I own it both individually and in my mutual funds. It is 2.94% of my retirement portfolio. Walt Disney is #2 at 1.53%, I also own it individually and in my funds.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 am

The last stock I owned was stock in a blue-chip company that was part of the Dow. I bought it because my granddaughter had started working for that company and it was a sort of sentimental "you-go-girl" gesture. It was about 0.1% of my portfolio. My investment diary entry, under "future intentions, said:
Hold as long as [daughter] keeps working at [big corporation]. Exception: as usual, if it drops more than halfway from peak to purchase price, sell it and take the profit.
Some years later the company sold off the division she was working in, so I sold the stock, at almost exactly the same price I'd paid for it. The division was acquired by a foreign-domiciled company which would have been hard for me to buy stock in, and anyway the sentimental impulse had faded.

The last stock I purchased was a single share of Target stock for a teen-aged granddaughter, for educational value. I paid about $120 for a neatly cardboard-framed stock certificate for one share, when the share price was about $50. I believe it was a waste of money in all respects, and earned me the enmity of her parents, who had to deal with microscopic dividend payments on her tax returns. I don't know if they still have the share.

Ooh, wait. Yes, I still own individual stock. Or rather, I have a stock certificate for about ten shares, purchased through the employee stock purchase plan at a Fortune 500 company I worked at in the late 1990s. It collapsed with breathtaking speed. I was laid off, the company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy less than a year later, I didn't bother to try to exchange the stock for stock in the reorganized company, which in turn went totally bankrupt. I owned two paper stock certificates. I sold one of them to a scripophily dealer for $10 and kept the other as a souvenir.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

statefan03

Post by statefan03 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 am

CVS - less than 1%

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue May 26, 2020 10:27 am

MSFT. 9% . Accumulated for 20 years ESPP and grants. Mostly grants, not buying ESPP since 2002. Cannot reduce because of taxes. Stopped reinvesting dividends, hope it helps.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 am

My only single stock holding is RPM , 0.5%. Purchased 09/21/2001. 90% long term capital gains plus the dividend increases every year.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 am

We've never bought individual stocks ourselves. Until our 50s, our "investing" was purely in our TIAA 403(b)s and taxable CDs.

DW's father made his career at AT&T back in the days when it was Ma Bell, and accumulated a chunk of its stock in addition to his pension. That stock passed to DW's mother, then split into a bunch of Baby Bells, then passed to DW herself nearly 20 years ago. Neither of us knew anything about "real investing," so she simply left it all at the transfer agent and collects the dividends.

If I had known back then what I know now (after having received an inheritance myself, in cash, which ended up in index ETFs), I would have suggested selling the stock immediately, and putting it all in a total stock market fund. It would have made things simpler, because the Baby Bells have since then spun off other companies, and re-merged again, making a mess of the cost basis if we were ever to sell part of it.

Fortunately, it's only about 6-7% of our total assets now, and we have way more than enough otherwise, so we'll probably just let it ride until she dies. Whoever inherits it (me or some charity) can deal with it then.

Last time I did our taxes, it was about 90% AT&T, about 5% each of Verizon and Vodafone, and a smidgen of CenturyLink.
Last edited by 22twain on Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 am

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)

It sits there in the taxable account... inflated, successful, ponderous, weighty... about 4% of the total equity holdings and maybe 1.5% of the overall portfolio.

It carries whopping capital gains, and that’s why it remains. All in all, not a horrible problem to have.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

IndexCore

Post by IndexCore » Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 am

Before this year I was a passive index fund investor, with my top holding whatever was the largest U.S. company by market cap. I followed COVID-19 more closely than the media, and wound up out-predicting them repeatedly. I watched "breaking news" about predictions I had made days earlier. That started me market timing in March, which included buying dozens of individual stocks which had fallen -67% or more during that month.

Keep in mind I bought dozens of stocks and invested various amounts in each. My goal was to diversify across areas/indsutries; pick companies with good financial ratios; and only then pick stocks which would profit the most during a recovery. I tried to limit the number of high risk stocks, so their losses might be covered by lower risk stocks.

My highest risk stock was my largest investment, in a South African chemical company called "Sasol". At time time I bought, they were facing 500% tariffs for losing a trade dispute; they overpaid to set up new production facility; and were impacted by oil prices. A lot of damage was priced into this stock, along with COVID-19 impact. I invested more in this stock, and it wound up doing much better than most of my picks, which is why it's currently 5% of my portfolio.

Market timing is a pain in the ass. When W.H.O. data for U.S. cases froze at 213 cases, I switched sources. CNBC and Bloomberg became the background noise hours every day to check on market sentiment (and make sure the market hadn't caught on). I looked up data on hundreds of companies, and picked a few dozen. Each time I did something, ironically, I did so 1-2 days too early, always paranoid the market was efficient and about to remove this opportunity. It was a lot of work, and one side effect is putting 1/4th (now 1/3rd) of my portfolio at risk of bankruptcy - but maybe have significant out performance. Time will tell... I'll be quite happy when COVID-19 is over, and I can go back to passive index investing.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Tue May 26, 2020 10:40 am

My wife's company. She gets stock as part of her compensation. It's about 12% right now.

It's generated very large returns for us.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue May 26, 2020 10:54 am

NVDA - in a taxable account and bought at about 20 a long time ago so nasty tax bite to sell.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue May 26, 2020 10:59 am

cinghiale wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 am
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)

It sits there in the taxable account... inflated, successful, ponderous, weighty... about 4% of the total equity holdings and maybe 1.5% of the overall portfolio.

It carries whopping capital gains, and that’s why it remains. All in all, not a horrible problem to have.
Ditto our BRK.A, waiting for the kids to enjoy the stepped up basis.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

theorist

Post by theorist » Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 am

Berkshire Hathaway, about 3% of the current taxable portfolio (and a tiny fraction of the total portfolio). I might actually add, if it gets a bit cheaper again.

sjl333

Post by sjl333 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am

NVIDIA - 4% of my portfolio - wish i put more of my nest egg in it - hindsight is 20/20, i try to follow the boglehead principle as much as possible, which swayed me not to put a large percentage of my nest egg in it.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am

0.1 share of DuPont.
Because years ago, when I got completely out of individual stocks and sold it all, there was some sort of rounding error over at Schwab. It's my only holding at Schwab these days and I can't seem to find the time to call them to get it taken care of. :D

Cheers.

cork

Post by cork » Tue May 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Only 1, BRK.B
About 1.5% of portfolio, about .3% of total portfolio.
Purchased it mainly so I could attend their convention, which is held about a 3 hour drive from where we live. Also for some discounts of which I haven't taken advantage.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue May 26, 2020 12:16 pm

I set aside 5% of my 401k (~2% of total portfolio) for gambling/individual stocks. Whenever I made money, I funneled the wins into my index funds so that my gambling fund never exceeded 5%. I used it mostly to buy too big to fail firms that were beaten down at some point it time (Amazon, Bank of America, Citi, etc); however, the last thing I bought was UCO (a crude oil ETF), which I sold for a loss when I decided to stop gambling altogether.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm

APPLE and AMAZON are chasing to the first position both are almost 1% of my portfolio
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

UnclePennybags

Post by UnclePennybags » Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm

AMZN by a fairly large margin. I bought in 2001 and have sold chunks of it twice. It still constitutes 12% of my portfolio, which I really don't like.

UnclePennybags

Post by UnclePennybags » Tue May 26, 2020 12:27 pm

remomnyc wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:16 pm
I set aside 5% of my 401k (~2% of total portfolio) for gambling/individual stocks. Whenever I made money, I funneled the wins into my index funds so that my gambling fund never exceeded 5%. I used it mostly to buy too big to fail firms that were beaten down at some point it time (Amazon, Bank of America, Citi, etc); however, the last thing I bought was UCO (a crude oil ETF), which I sold for a loss when I decided to stop gambling altogether.
LOL. I call my individual stock picking account the "gambling fund" on the Schwab account description page! I no longer actively trade, but I've kept 3 individual stocks that I have some personal attachment to (AMZN, APPL and TSLA)

houseofnine

Post by houseofnine » Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 pm

AAPL and AMZN are each 3-3.5% of my portfolio. Oldest positions are 2014 so gains are pretty big. Likely they’ll be on the chopping block when I retire in a few years.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Exclusive of our index funds holding Microsoft, I hold some individual shares of a few stocks, largest holding being Microsoft.

MICROSOFT CORP (as of today @ 1:09 PM)

214.1000 (Number of Shares Held)
$11,369.12 (Total Cost)
$39,184.58 (Market Value)
$92.65 (Short-term Capital Gains))
$27,722.81 (Long-term Capital Gains)
$27,815.46 (Total Capital Gains)

The shares are held in my TIRA, so the capital gains are a non-issue.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

james22

Post by james22 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 pm

20% BRK, 10% BAM - belief in the company (diversified, anti-fragile)

10% Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - risk/reward

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 pm

Starbucks (SBUX) that I purchased in late 2008 or early 2009 very cheaply although not at it's low as it was getting beat up pretty badly. Seems like my buy in was around $9.00-10.00?? Last year I joked with my advisor who manages the account it's in that I'll sell it in my early years of retirement or when it hits $100.00. I wouldn't have sold it but it did get to $99.00 last year at one point which I didn't realize at the time. It's now about 3-4% of my portfolio due to it's growth over the past 10-12 years, I'm not sure if I'll sell it anytime soon, and have never added to my position. There were plenty of opportunities to do so in March as it was getting beat up again but I didn't have any extra money to do so.

The reason I bought it was that I believed in and loved the company and loved the fact that they sold additive products globally to practically every segment of society and especially the young who would in turn buy them again forever almost daily! Same reason I bought Chipotle (CMG) in late 2017, early 2018 when they had problems. Chipotle is not global but make great products that are targeted at the all consuming youth of society as well as a wide range of older consumers. CMG is 1-2% of my portfolio.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue May 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Haven't owned a single company stock for 20 years, that changed this year when I put some fun money into Delta around the same time Buffett sold his. It is about 0.1% of my net worth, and won't make a difference to my lifestyle if all of it went to zero. Why did I feel like buying a single company stock, after not doing so for 20 years? Just to test out a theory about Airlines and perhaps Buffett. I don't intend to buy any other stock any time, with fun or serious money.
Last edited by Elysium on Tue May 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue May 26, 2020 1:25 pm

simplesauce wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 am

3. What is your reason for keeping this holding? (capital gain, belief in the company, etc.)
1. Lockheed Martin
2. about 4.7%
3. Large capital gain tax if sold. I actually didn't buy Lockheed Martin. I bought stock in a company back in the 60's called Communication Satellite Corporation (COMSAT). There have been several spinoffs over the years, and eventually Lockheed Martin bought COMSAT.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Tue May 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Visa (V)

~1.5%

Large capital gain, but also a company whose products I use frequently.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Tue May 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Boeing, 1.47%, in pre-tax so no opportunity for tax loss harvesting.
Boeing has been very good to me--enabled me to retire early. Previously, the dividends kept me going for a few years at a very difficult time of my life.
Thankfully I came to this forum and diversified into index funds.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:53 pm

260chrisb wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 pm
Starbucks (SBUX) that I purchased in late 2008 or early 2009 very cheaply although not at it's low as it was getting beat up pretty badly. Seems like my buy in was around $9.00-10.00?? Last year I joked with my advisor who manages the account it's in that I'll sell it in my early years of retirement or when it hits $100.00. I wouldn't have sold it but it did get to $99.00 last year at one point which I didn't realize at the time. It's now about 3-4% of my portfolio due to it's growth over the past 10-12 years, I'm not sure if I'll sell it anytime soon, and have never added to my position. There were plenty of opportunities to do so in March as it was getting beat up again but I didn't have any extra money to do so.

The reason I bought it was that I believed in and loved the company and loved the fact that they sold additive products globally to practically every segment of society and especially the young who would in turn buy them again forever almost daily! Same reason I bought Chipotle (CMG) in late 2017, early 2018 when they had problems. Chipotle is not global but make great products that are targeted at the all consuming youth of society as well as a wide range of older consumers. CMG is 1-2% of my portfolio.
I bought Starbucks about the same time, it was selling in single digits. It climbed rather nicely, split once when I was holding.

My DDs would drag me to the mall and I would see long lines of people waiting to buy an expensive cup of coffee. Seemed to be a money-printing business, so I bought some of the stock.

Starbucks paid for my expensive wind-rated windows, thank you very much!

I used to buy a few battered stocks on the side each time the market declined a good amount. I would sell when they recovered, and wait again. I always bought at least 5 stocks, as I knew I would get a stinker in the group each time. And I did. But Starbucks made the overall portfolio of individual stocks smell pretty sweet.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:53 pm
260chrisb wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 pm

I bought Starbucks about the same time, it was selling in single digits. It climbed rather nicely, split once when I was holding.

My DDs would drag me to the mall and I would see long lines of people waiting to buy an expensive cup of coffee. Seemed to be a money-printing business, so I bought some of the stock.

Starbucks paid for my expensive wind-rated windows, thank you very much!

I used to buy a few battered stocks on the side each time the market declined a good amount. I would sell when they recovered, and wait again. I always bought at least 5 stocks, as I knew I would get a stinker in the group each time. And I did. But Starbucks made the overall portfolio of individual stocks smell pretty sweet.

Broken Man 1999
Yep, it's a money printing business for sure. It's all about getting the young consumer hooked for life. It's a lifestyle; you order a unique and personal item and pay good money for it repeatedly. Chipotle is very similar; look at the lines and the demographic. Both good solid companies in my opinion and both a value buy when I bought IMO.

Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:19 pm

Apple. About 3.5 percent of portfolio as a single stock. Of course, several of my ETFs hold it too.

Excellent products
Excellent management
Hardcore believer customers.

We've owned Apple many years now.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

JPMorgan Chase (JPM).

About 5% of our portfolio. It was my wife’s former employer. Shares were accumulated over time through price discounts offered to employees and RSU’s, with reinvestment of dividends.

We have sold some thru tax loss harvesting, but not a lot due to capital gains exposure.

LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley » Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Apple

4% of my portfolio

I bought them when apple was about to go bankrupt and they hired steve jobs back to save the company. jobs and ives came up with the first iMac. i looked at the iMac and felt/thought that it would be a game changer and it was...

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm

Prudential (PRU)

When Prudential demutualized, life insurance policy owners were given shares based on the size of their policies. My wife and I have 106 shares that we have never sold because of capital gains taxes. The cost basis for the shares is $0, not the $29+ IPO price. PRU fluctuates wildly; however, we enjoy going to dinner using our quarterly dividend checks. Since it is a minuscule portion of our portfolio, we continue to hold it and cash the dividend checks.

DMW

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Seeing this thread made me curious as to the holdings, the overall percentage as compared to portfolio, the CAGR since initial purchase and comparison S&P CAGR since that date.

Company % holding return % S&P return% reason
AXP 1.5% 10.8 7.7% purchased post 911
AMP .5% 11.9 8.3% spinoff of AXP
ADM .5% 6.8 8.6% was a customer in 1995
CNI 6.8 15.9 6.4 was a customer in 1995...hit a walk off grand slam
KO 2.0 8.4% 8.4% Warren Buffett influence
EMR 2.9 7.6 8.8% read an article on it
EFX .7 12.3 8.0 high ROE and FCF
XOM .7 6.3 8.3 Direct stock purchase plan
JNJ 1.2 13.5 14.0 AAA credit rating and bond like qualities
MCD 3.4 11.8 8.8 why not?
MSFT 4.9 16.6 8.2 seemed like a good idea at the time
PAYX 1.3 8.3 8.8 pay on small business
PFE .9 5.0 9.2 pharma play
PG .9 10.6 8.8 DRP program
WBA .6 3.0 8.5 DRP program

Overall record is 7 wins, 7 losses, and 1 tie based on returns vs. S&P.

For those with holdings above 1% my record is 4-3-1.

My big holdings have ran very well, three big winners with big holdings - CNI, MCD, and MSFT.

AXP/AMP has been very good, as has EFX.

The last purchase was JNJ in 2011, I was waiting for it to go in the 50's and purchased at 62...glad I did as it has mirrored the S&P.

Why do I continue to hold these? Why pay cap gains? My retirement funding will adequately cover my needs, so these will continue to generate grwoth thru dividend re-investment and either supply dividend income later or go to my sons upon my death.

EDIT: that did not line up well when published. Reading from left to right - Stock symbol, % of portfolio, CAGR return since inception. CAGR return of S&P since inception. Reason for purchase. Sorry for the mess.

Ed

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm

AMZN, about 3%. Can’t sell due to taxes. Sold 3 shares last year to remove my cost basis and play on “house money”. Bought shares many years ago when I started using the service and enjoyed the experience. Have been donating shares for charity as opposed to cash donation then immediately taking the value donated to buy S&P 500 shares (VOO)

AAPL about 3%. Also sold shares several years ago to remove my initial investment. Also donate shares as above.

another 8 stocks total about 4% currently which include DIS (for the kid as we are familiar with this company and happy with their service for the past 10 years); GOOGL as I used their site daily and google maps, bought in the IPO period but didn’t have much resources in those days. Sold 1 share several years ago to get my money off table. Don’t donate theses shares as I have only a few left. WMT for the past 4 years as the hedge against AMZN and I liked their business. NOC and HII spouse inherited, BA as speculation for the next 10 years, GIL and XOM for 10 years, a little underwater on these and selling them seems more troublesome then the return as these sit in an EJ account and would require me pick up a phone for only about 15K and TLH would be minimal.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Tue May 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Two employer stocks: former employer at ~3% of total assets and ~10% of the current employer (~1/3 of total comp is stock of various flavors).
Just waiting for those vesting dates to sell.

Rudedog

Post by Rudedog » Tue May 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Verizon. I hold about a dozen dividend paying stocks, largest position is in Verizon. My nephew used to work there until they bought him out and retired him last year. About 2.5% of total portfolio.

pokebowl

Post by pokebowl » Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 pm

simplesauce wrote:

1. Apple.

2. 12%

3. six figures in LTCG...

Its a work in progress. Depending on my income and other tax impacts throughout the year (Working in states with very high tax penalties) I usually shave it down where I can. I did manage to take advantage of the March crash to rebalance out of it a bit more.
Last edited by pokebowl on Tue May 26, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Massdriver

Post by Massdriver » Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 pm

AMD. I started buying a few years ago in the $1.90-$2.50 range and bought a bit more around $12. Sold some of my early stuff and I'm holding the rest. It's mainly a product of one last gamble I made as I exited my stock picking phase and I got extremely lucky. I had a few losers back when I used to mess around with single stock picking (including Transocean which I lost 50% of my investment in!!), but AMD has paid off every loss and gained me more than I ever thought I would make on a single stock.

It's around 3% of my portfolio.

I sold a bit off in the mid 10s and intended to hold the rest for years. I believe in the company and its products which is why I originally picked it, and I don't want to take a huge tax hit right now. If it keeps going up, I'm going to have to cash some chips in if its becomes too much more of my portfolio, but I don't see that happening for a while. I think it has some room to grow more, but I see the pace of growth slowing down a lot. If it gets to the $150 territory, I'll probably sell another chunk.
Last edited by Massdriver on Tue May 26, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz » Tue May 26, 2020 7:34 pm

IndexCore wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 am
Before this year I was a passive index fund investor, with my top holding whatever was the largest U.S. company by market cap. I followed COVID-19 more closely than the media, and wound up out-predicting them repeatedly. I watched "breaking news" about predictions I had made days earlier. That started me market timing in March, which included buying dozens of individual stocks which had fallen -67% or more during that month.

Keep in mind I bought dozens of stocks and invested various amounts in each. My goal was to diversify across areas/indsutries; pick companies with good financial ratios; and only then pick stocks which would profit the most during a recovery. I tried to limit the number of high risk stocks, so their losses might be covered by lower risk stocks.

My highest risk stock was my largest investment, in a South African chemical company called "Sasol". At time time I bought, they were facing 500% tariffs for losing a trade dispute; they overpaid to set up new production facility; and were impacted by oil prices. A lot of damage was priced into this stock, along with COVID-19 impact. I invested more in this stock, and it wound up doing much better than most of my picks, which is why it's currently 5% of my portfolio.

Market timing is a pain in the ass. When W.H.O. data for U.S. cases froze at 213 cases, I switched sources. CNBC and Bloomberg became the background noise hours every day to check on market sentiment (and make sure the market hadn't caught on). I looked up data on hundreds of companies, and picked a few dozen. Each time I did something, ironically, I did so 1-2 days too early, always paranoid the market was efficient and about to remove this opportunity. It was a lot of work, and one side effect is putting 1/4th (now 1/3rd) of my portfolio at risk of bankruptcy - but maybe have significant out performance. Time will tell... I'll be quite happy when COVID-19 is over, and I can go back to passive index investing.
Perhaps the oddest thing I’ve read on here. Ever.

Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz » Tue May 26, 2020 7:38 pm

UnclePennybags wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm
AMZN by a fairly large margin. I bought in 2001 and have sold chunks of it twice. It still constitutes 12% of my portfolio, which I really don't like.
I’d especially not like it after a day like this one, and the very short term trend we’ve seen lately where megacap tech is having a hard time catching a bid. Hope you have a nice chunk of small cap value to give you some alpha if this trend continues.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:58 pm

1 - Ecolab (ECL)
2 - ~2.5%
3 - Still believe in the company operating model

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 pm

simplesauce wrote:

Altria(MO)
0.33% of portfolio
Dividends

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 pm

1. AT&T
2. 5%
3. I couldn't resist buying more at a 7+% yield in March and April. Especially, when I only need to get a 3% real return to meet my retirement goals.

I usually limit individual stocks to 1% and this is the only exception, excluding that which I hold because of it's market cap in indexes. I.e. MSFT is about 3% of my portfolio even though I don't directly hold it.

Topic Author
simplesauce

Post by simplesauce » Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 am

Great responses! Thank you! I am glad to see that Bogleheads are true to their beliefs, and seemingly only have a few percent or less in individual stocks. This is very reassuring.

For us, we bought our first ever individual stocks (and a sector ETF) during the Covid-19 downturn, as we felt the market was overreacting and not thinking long term. Not a significant amount; less than 1% of our portfolio. We bought:

Royal Caribbean
AMC Theaters
VDE (Vanguard Energy ETF)
DISNEY

We may plan to hold these for the long-term.

statefan03

Post by statefan03 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 pm
simplesauce wrote:

Altria(MO)
0.33% of portfolio
Dividends
I looked at Altria due to a stellar dividend. However it looks way too risky. Negative Earnings, profit, and return on equity. Yikes.