Vanguard Mutual Fund Platform EOL

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
knowmad

Vanguard Mutual Fund Platform EOL

Post by knowmad »

Received this email from Vanguard today:
We're working toward the retirement of our old investment platform, which supports accounts that only hold Vanguard mutual funds. We'll continue to support clients on this old platform until it's retired from use in 2022 or earlier. But know that some of the features you've used in the past may not be available as we make updates and changes in the future.
This is the first time I've seen an end of life date mentioned.
Silk McCue

Re: Vanguard Mutual Fund Platform EOL

Post by Silk McCue »

Thanks for sharing. I’m glad they are finally putting a stake in the ground. Having to continue to support both platforms is too costly.

Some may not like it, but “oh well”.

Cheers
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

They have warned people for years so no one can say they didn't see it coming.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

The brokerage platform is not the end of the world. My spouse only has Vanguard mutual funds use it and has no issues.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

I'm using both of them, the old one for me and the new one for my dad.
I definitely like the old one better. But i suppose i'll survive.
bling

Post by bling »

sigh. once this happens to my account i'm outta there. why would i stay with vanguard when fidelity/schwab have a better offering?
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

bling wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 pm sigh. once this happens to my account i'm outta there. why would i stay with vanguard when fidelity/schwab have a better offering?
Why are you still with Vanguard if you admit that Fidelity and Schwab are better? I was very happy to leave Vanguard for Schwab and don't regret it for a second.
bling

Post by bling »

Nate79 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 pm
bling wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 pm sigh. once this happens to my account i'm outta there. why would i stay with vanguard when fidelity/schwab have a better offering?
Why are you still with Vanguard if you admit that Fidelity and Schwab are better? I was very happy to leave Vanguard for Schwab and don't regret it for a second.
laziness. only my IRA is at vanguard so aside from my yearly contribution the account doesn't see much activity. so even if i were to switch over there's minimal benefit.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Maybe if they send a telegram the people who still care about this will get it, too.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 pm Maybe if they send a telegram the people who still care about this will get it, too.
:mrgreen: Good one
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Silk McCue wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:04 pm Thanks for sharing. I’m glad they are finally putting a stake in the ground. Having to continue to support both platforms is too costly.

Some may not like it, but “oh well”.

Cheers
Agreed, I was hesitant at first, did it, no big deal.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Interesting, thanks. The main reason I care about this is that the old platform still offers true, cumulative year-to-date paper statements, while the new platform does not.

(Please, no arguments about paper vs. electronic. That's a whole other thread. ;-) )
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

Nate79 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 pm Why are you still with Vanguard if you admit that Fidelity and Schwab are better? I was very happy to leave Vanguard for Schwab and don't regret it for a second.
For me, it's mostly due to Wellington. Fido has definitely better customer service/website for sure.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

If they'd just enable the new platform to automatically redirect dividends, I'd switch today. That's a feature I regularly use, and it doesn't exist on the new platform. That's why for me the new platform is definitely a downgrade, and I won't switch until they force me. Every time the flagship rep brings up switching in a courtesy email, I make the same response, none of the touted benefits are beneficial to me but I use the services eliminated by the switch. Maybe in the next two years vanguard can fix whatever issue(s) prevents the new platform automatically redirecting dividends.
Regards, | | Guy
S_Track

Post by S_Track »

MadHungarian wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 pm I'm using both of them, the old one for me and the new one for my dad.
I have only used the new one, but curious, what do you like about the old one?
Krm45

Post by Krm45 »

Interesting. I have a Coverdell ESA at Vanguard that they won’t let me upgrade to a brokerage account. I wonder what they’ll tell me when this happens. My son will be a senior in high school next year, so I expect to have this account for the next 4-5 years.
ronin

Post by ronin »

asset_chaos wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 pm Maybe in the next two years vanguard can fix whatever issue(s) prevents the new platform automatically redirecting dividends.
Can someone explain what this dividend redirection issue is?
dru808

Post by dru808 »

ronin wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:09 pm
asset_chaos wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 pm Maybe in the next two years vanguard can fix whatever issue(s) prevents the new platform automatically redirecting dividends.
I believe you can only drip and not re direct drip. I’m not sure as I only drip at vanguard.
ronin

Post by ronin »

Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but if one has a taxable brokerage account and wants any dividends to not automatically be reinvested and instead accumulate in a cash or settlement account, is this possible?
sport

Post by sport »

It means that I can have distributions (dividends and capital gains) from fund A automatically sent to fund B. I use this to have distributions sent to a separate money market fund in my taxable account. This keeps them separate from other money market amounts and transactions. It helps me keep track of the distributed money which I invest once a year.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

sport wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:56 pm
It means that I can have distributions (dividends and capital gains) from fund A automatically sent to fund B. I use this to have distributions sent to a separate money market fund in my taxable account. This keeps them separate from other money market amounts and transactions. It helps me keep track of the distributed money which I invest once a year.
So are you saying that dividends from say, Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund, must me re-invested into that fund or that you are limited as to where the dividends must go if they aren't reinvested there? If the latter, where must they be directed?
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
sport

Post by sport »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:01 am
So are you saying that dividends from say, Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund, must me re-invested into that fund or that you are limited as to where the dividends must go if they aren't reinvested there? If the latter, where must they be directed?
My understanding for the brokerage account is that you can have dividends reinvested, sent to your settlement fund, or sent to your outside bank account. However, I don't have a brokerage account, so I may not be exactly correct.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

whodidntante wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 pm Maybe if they send a telegram the people who still care about this will get it, too.
Should i tell you that i still use paper checks too?
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

S_Track wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 pm
MadHungarian wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 pm I'm using both of them, the old one for me and the new one for my dad.
I have only used the new one, but curious, what do you like about the old one?
It'd take too long to explain, and i'm sure its all been argued to death in other threads. But it's all moot anyway because it'll be history soon.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Btw, is it still possible to actually send a telegram? Western Union or some such?
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

MadHungarian wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 am
Btw, is it still possible to actually send a telegram? Western Union or some such?
Worldwide use of telegrams by country
Regards, | | Guy
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

sport wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:05 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:01 am
My understanding for the brokerage account is that you can have dividends reinvested, sent to your settlement fund, or sent to your outside bank account. However, I don't have a brokerage account, so I may not be exactly correct.
That's my understanding for the brokerage platform too, and that's the case if you have a brokerage account, separate from the mutual fund account, on the old/current platform. With the mutual fund account you can have dividends reinvested into any other mutual fund you hold in your account (as well as directly sent to a bank account). With the brokerage only platform distributions from all funds can only be reinvested in the distributing fund, sent to a settlement account, or sent to a bank account.

I understand the issue if you have only ETFs. With ETFs you traditionally you deal in shares, not dollars, and had to place a buy order for a whole number of shares. (Fractional share buys have recently become available at some brokerages, not Vanguard.) But even on the new brokerage only platform traditional mutual funds will still be traditional mutual funds. So I don't understand the impediment there at all.
Regards, | | Guy
nanameg

Post by nanameg »

Can someone explain why vanguard is not only pushing the platform but pushing ETF’s over mutual funds? If you are a PAS client you can no longer keep mutual funds at some relatively soon future date.. I think September.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

ronin wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:37 pm Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but if one has a taxable brokerage account and wants any dividends to not automatically be reinvested and instead accumulate in a cash or settlement account, is this possible?
Yes. I don't automatically reinvest dividends or capital gains. I elected to have those distributions sent to my settlement fund.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Yes, it is possible. The page where you change the option is hard to find online, however. Once I retired, I changed most of my funds to stop reinvesting, partly to eliminate STCG when I harvest appreciated positions.

I do understand that many investors don’t want to feel like they are invading their capital by selling appreciated assets. It’s wrenching to switch from accumulation to decumulation!

Back on the OT, Vanguard has previously told me that my mother’s two old-style accounts (brokerage and MF) could NOT be merged because she has a POA in effect!
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I have Fidelity Mutual Funds only and their accounts work EXACTLY like Vanguard Brokerage Accounts from a fundamental perspective. For 90% of people they are identical, you wouldn't be gaining anything by moving to Fidelity. I know, Fidelity has more flexibility on Settlement accounts and stuff like that, but they are BROKERAGE Accounts just like Vanguard. The old Vanguard Mutual Fund accounts are literally the last of an old breed. Where are you going to find that today outside of some boutique MF only provider?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

MadHungarian wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:15 am
I use them too. My mortgage coupon book was coffee stained, so I needed a new coaster. :wink:
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

crystalbank wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:14 pm
Nate79 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 pm Why are you still with Vanguard if you admit that Fidelity and Schwab are better? I was very happy to leave Vanguard for Schwab and don't regret it for a second.
For me, it's mostly due to Wellington. Fido has definitely better customer service/website for sure.
Certainly access to specific funds at Vanguard is a valid reason to stay.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

nanameg wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:23 am Can someone explain why vanguard is not only pushing the platform but pushing ETF’s over mutual funds? If you are a PAS client you can no longer keep mutual funds at some relatively soon future date.. I think September.
I think that's a question only Vanguard can answer.

As someone who prefers mutual funds over ETFs, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that VPAS is choosing to use ETFs over mutual funds. They are conducting the transactions anyway, so what is the downside for you? In fact, an argument could me made that it would be unethical for them to use a higher-cost fund when a lower-cost equivalent fund is available (even if the cost reduction is insignificant).

There have been rumors that Vanguard will invest in ETFs within their all-in-one Target Retirement/LifeStrategy funds. Again, I prefer mutual funds over ETFs - and I'm invested in a Vanguard Target Retirement fund - but if that happens, I would see no reason to complain.

Of course, if you are, for any reason whatsoever, unhappy with VPAS, you have the right to stop using this service.
Last edited by Silence Dogood on Thu May 14, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Wonder what they'll do for the people that can't use a brokerage account due to their jobs in the financial sector?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

sport wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:05 am My understanding for the brokerage account is that you can have dividends reinvested, sent to your settlement fund, or sent to your outside bank account. However, I don't have a brokerage account, so I may not be exactly correct.
Not that last option. My mother lost her automatic path of dividends going to her checking account. Now we have to log in and transfer them manually and often forget to do it on the day it is deposited.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Krm45 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:53 pm
Interesting. I have a Coverdell ESA at Vanguard that they won’t let me upgrade to a brokerage account. I wonder what they’ll tell me when this happens. My son will be a senior in high school next year, so I expect to have this account for the next 4-5 years.
Ditto. Me too. There was also another type of account I have (my small business plan? can't remember) that would not move. So at the time they were first "asking" us to move, I would have had to kept the old MF platform AND the new brokerage platform. Kids will not go to college until 2024. Hello, Vanguard? Anyone home?
Also, wife's 403(b) would have been left on the legacy platform, so two accounts for her as well... but VG "solved" that by sloughing off their duties to some awful third party company.
I really am not too particular about all this stuff, but they REALLY need to get their act together. And for those of you concerned about pricing, and how much we "old fashioned" folks are costing, I would be THRILLED to pay another 2 or 3 basis points if VG had a better website and 24/7 phone support. Or online chat. In fact, instead of mucking around with the whole "we need to end the 2 platform" thing, why don't they concentrate the IT on better features for the brokerage FIRST, and they might entice people to move?
Cheers
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Me too.
Cheers
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

BrandonBogle wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:35 am
sport wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:05 am My understanding for the brokerage account is that you can have dividends reinvested, sent to your settlement fund, or sent to your outside bank account. However, I don't have a brokerage account, so I may not be exactly correct.
Not that last option. My mother lost her automatic path of dividends going to her checking account. Now we have to log in and transfer them manually and often forget to do it on the day it is deposited.
I just checked my taxable account, which is on the old mutual fund platform, and there are 4 options for dividends: Reinvest, Transfer to a bank account, Transfer to a Vanguard fund, and Mail by Check.
Last edited by rkhusky on Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I have a Vanguard Brokerage Account and under

Account Maintenance -> Holding level dividend and capital gains elections -> Change your dividends and capital gains distribution elections

There are four options: Reinvest, Transfer to Settlement Account, Transfer to a bank account and Send me a check.

Surely you can do it. You just set it up under the handling of dividends and capital gains, not via automatic investment/withdrawal.

Same options are available under my Roth IRA account as well.
Starfox

Post by Starfox »

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

rkhusky wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 am
I just checked my taxable account, which is on the old mutual fund platform, and there are 4 options for dividends: Reinvest, Transfer to a bank account, Transfer to a Vanguard fund, and Mail by Check.
Right. The brokerage platform is reinvest in the same fund, or send them to the settlement fund. Period, hard stop. You can then transfer them or get a check from the settlement fund.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

When I look at mutual funds in my VG brokerage account dividends and cap gains have the following "Distribution options:"
  • Reinvest
  • Settlement fund
  • Bank account
  • Send check
Dividends and cap gains can select different options.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

rkhusky wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am Wonder what they'll do for the people that can't use a brokerage account due to their jobs in the financial sector?
My guess is that those people will have to move their accounts elsewhere.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Thank you folks for the instructions above. While I see all 4 options on the drop down, it won’t change my things to put in the settlement account. They are grayed out and cannot be changed.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Still have not received any notice from Vanguard about switching over to brokerage account. Ever!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

HueyLD wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:52 am
rkhusky wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am Wonder what they'll do for the people that can't use a brokerage account due to their jobs in the financial sector?
I don't have a dog in the fight, but how do they use Fidelity or or Schwab? There must be a way and I am sure Vanguard has a mechanism for their own employees.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

BrandonBogle wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 am
rkhusky wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 am
Right. The brokerage platform is reinvest in the same fund, or send them to the settlement fund. Period, hard stop. You can then transfer them or get a check from the settlement fund.
This is one of the great errors constantly repeated on BH. Please see that at least 5 people have demonstrated in this thread that it is easily done (just differently than on the old platform).
rob

Post by rob »

.... and for the people who work in certain companies that must have their BROKERAGE activity monitored (mutual fund accounts don't usually need that level of monitoring).... Hard luck and take a capital gain because Vanguard flips to brokerage accounts? Does Vanguard pay the tax?

It's easy to throw around the luddite tag when it's got no personal impact....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 am
HueyLD wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:52 am
I don't have a dog in the fight, but how do they use Fidelity or or Schwab? There must be a way and I am sure Vanguard has a mechanism for their own employees.
Overview: The situation is that "insiders" need to report all of their transactions to their internal compliance department to ensure they are not engaged in insider trading.

Point #1: For this to happen, you need to establish some type of brokerage link between your compliance department and a outside broker. These links are bespoke so the compliance department tries to keep them limited to between 3 to 5. There is a lot of complexity here. There is no guarantee that the compliance department will have a link with Vanguard. Fidelity and Schwab are popular choices.

Point #2: Broad based mutual funds are mostly exempt. It is really hard to front-run or inside trade against a broad market basket of stocks. Thus, directly held mutual funds tend to be exempt.

You should be able to see how the situation changes. You can't put in a quick day trade order in your mutual fund account for insider trading. You could with a brokerage account even if the only thing you held were mutual funds.
Last edited by alex_686 on Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.