Who is your all time favorite investor and why?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Who is your all time favorite investor and why?

Post by tvubpwcisla » Mon May 04, 2020 6:36 am

There have been a lot of great investors in our history. I'm curious who is your favorite and why?

I have two.

1. Mr. Bogle is one of my favorites because he looked out for the investor and had the courage to do something different and pioneer index funds. He also was sensible holding a 50/50 portfolio. He made investing simple and easy to understand for the average investor.

2. Another one is Ronald Read. I look up to him because he worked well into old age, continued to invest and be patient, and left others far better off than they could imagine. A great story of how investing for the long term pays off and how you can make a difference in someone else's life.

Ronald Read Story - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgftkyLr1Cc

:sharebeer
Stay invested my friends.

jebmke

Re: Who is your all time favorite investor and why?

Post by jebmke » Mon May 04, 2020 6:54 am

Me. Because I can spend the proceeds. I can’t spend anyone else’s.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon May 04, 2020 7:11 am

Jhard to choose just one.

Bogle
Both Bernstein's
Bill Schultheis

These have definitely been the most influential.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US Total Mkt, 20% Small Cap Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Developed Int'l, 10% EM, 30% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 am

This topic is locked. All general comment threads in forums with "Personal" in the title are off-topic. See Personal Finance:
This subforum is for personal financial issues that don't involve investments. Examples of acceptable topics are:

- insurance
- employment issues
- credit card and credit rating issues
- mortgage and loan issues
- legal issues that have a financial component like wills and pre-nuptial agreements

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) financial life. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.
Edit: after further moderator review, the topic is now in the Investing Theory News & General forum and has been unlocked to allow discussion to continue.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

BlackHat

Post by BlackHat » Mon May 04, 2020 8:07 am

I'm a big fan of Jack Bogle because he gave investors a fair shake and didn't chase a huge net worth. Just watching videos of him on YouTube and you can see how genuine he really was.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius

birdog

Post by birdog » Mon May 04, 2020 8:34 am

I believe that Jack Bogle has done far more for investors all over the world than anyone else in history. Yet far more people have heard of Buffett than Bogle. I see Bogle as a largely unsung hero of sorts.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon May 04, 2020 8:42 am

John Templeton. I loved watching him on Wall $treet Week. He was always upbeat and optimistic and he was a legendary investor. From Wikipedia:

John Templeton, during the Depression of the 1930s, bought 100 shares of each NYSE listed company which was then selling for less than $1 a share ($18 today) (104 companies, 34 in bankruptcy, in 1939), later making many times the money back when USA industry picked up as a result of World War II. Templeton attributed much of his success to his ability to maintain an elevated mood, avoid anxiety and stay disciplined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Templeton
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon May 04, 2020 8:49 am

Warren

3funder

Post by 3funder » Mon May 04, 2020 9:00 am

Jack Bogle, for his insistence on low-cost, plain vanilla portfolios and for his belief that his net worth of $80 million was more than enough.
Last edited by 3funder on Mon May 04, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 am

JL Collins

CardioMD

Post by CardioMD » Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 am

Jack Bogle
Warren Buffett
Charlie Munger
Seth Klarman
Peter Lynch
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Mon May 04, 2020 9:22 am

Warren Buffett...clearly my favorite.
Jack Bogle
Ben Graham
Last edited by bondsr4me on Mon May 04, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 am

3funder wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:00 am
Jack Bogle, for his insistence on low-cost, plain vanilla portfolios and for his belief that his net worth of $80 million was more than enough.
+1

Lock

Post by Lock » Mon May 04, 2020 9:30 am

Ray Dalio is definitely my favorite. I learned more (and continue to learn more) from his white papers than anything else I've read.

https://www.bridgewater.com/research-li ... ervations/

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 am

How about a shout out for: Benjamin Graham
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 04, 2020 9:41 am

My grandparents.
Depression Era rags to riches story.

FIL = deceased retired WWII career military and early “BogleHead”. Bought $40k of Vanguard Balanced Index when it was first issued which grew to $400k+

j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon May 04, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Tellurius

Post by Tellurius » Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 am

Benjamin Graham. He was the future, once.

(Quote by David Cameron about Tony Blair)
La nuit semblait profonde. L'hiver interminable.

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Mon May 04, 2020 9:48 am

jebmke wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:54 am
ha .. you beat me to this answer :)

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am

Warren Buffett for giving me the courage to keep it simple and believe always in a bright future (important when owning equities).
Jack Bogle for giving me the tools to make it happen.
Both for helping me have common sense and staying the course.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Mon May 04, 2020 9:55 am

Ferdinand2014 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am
Warren Buffett for giving me the courage to keep it simple and believe always in a bright future (important when owning equities).
+1

srt7

Post by srt7 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:12 am

Jack Bogle. Because he taught me about the value of staying the course, index funds etc.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 pm

I really appreciate John Bogle making investing much more investor friendly with low fees and helpful books, interviews, etc. I love to call him what others called him, "Saint Jack." He definitely lived a life of service to mankind.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Mon May 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Jack Bogle.
He was a pillar of ethics in an industry where there were none. He was not revered on Wall Street, yet look at the insurmountable mountain he had to climb to get his message out, and boy, did his message get out. Nobody was more humble than Jack. He has probably created more wealth, for more investors, than any single individual on earth.
Last edited by meowcat on Mon May 04, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon May 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Mom. She told me at an early age to save something from each paycheck.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

Post by 1789 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:50 pm

Larry Livingston or Mr. Livingston as they call it.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Mon May 04, 2020 2:26 pm

For me, Burton Malkiel. I read a Random Walk Down Wall Street at a family young investing age, and it has been the single most impactful thing on my investing life and returns.

I also love Warren Buffet, because he is astonishly successful, but eschews most of the trappings of all those telling us how to do it. And he shares his wisdom freely.

Jack Bogle would be #1 in my book if I encountered him first. Paraphrasing Buffet I think, he has done more to benefit the average investor in America than any other single person.

And yeah, I'm also a big fan of me. I guess I've done more to benefit me than anybody else, so thanks to me.

JD2775

Post by JD2775 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:51 pm

If investors came in trading cards, would you buy them? Imagine the Topps/Fleer/Donruss possibilities....

sergio

Post by sergio » Mon May 04, 2020 5:27 pm

James Wang of the former Oceanstone fund. What a story that was. RIP.

saintsfan342000

Post by saintsfan342000 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Clark Howard and his 4 Ds of investing: Discount, dollar cost average, diversify, dull. A true champion of Main Street investors.

Also gotta give a nod to Austin, TX financial advisor Carl Stuart. He hosts a terrific weekend call in show on News Radio KLBJ. You can listen to nearly 5 years of shows here:
https://www.newsradioklbj.com/show/mone ... rl-stuart/
Already impartial now

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm

3funder wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:00 am
Exactly! :sharebeer

averagelonghorn

Post by averagelonghorn » Mon May 04, 2020 6:42 pm

My grandfather because he worked a long time in a rayon plant, breathing harmful chemicals, provided for my grandmother and my father. Helped send my father to college. Then the plant closed; he lost his pension, but was able to eventually find another job at a bank, worked there for years, retired not rich, but comfortable enough to still provide for his wife until the end of her days. All that after being (I THINK) the only of the 12 kids in his family to graduate high school.

I don't know a ton of details on his investments, I DO know he preferred mostly individual stocks that payed dividends; plus savings in a savings account, plus some bonds. There's a huge chance he could have switched to indexing when that became available widely and done better over-all, but he didn't; he stuck with what he knew, and it served him well.

He's my favorite because I knew him well; and he took care of my grandmother. He also was nearly blind towards the end of his life and he always had us grandkids find and tell him his stock prices in the paper whenever we visited. There's 0 chance he didn't know already what they were, he had his wife do the same thing in the morning; but he wanted us interested in stocks and investing.

(He also gave me a long talk about compound interest when I was a kid and got my first paper route.)

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon May 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Taylor Larimore. Taylor is a Boglehead rock. His recommendations never vary--he is the ultimate Boglehead. He helped me with asset allocation and "say the course" when I joined Bogleheads (Morningstar Vanguard Diehards) in 1999, and my portfolio has never varied.

Paul
Last edited by pkcrafter on Tue May 05, 2020 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey » Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 pm

For securities it has to be John Bogle. His pioneering work has made a lot of average folk quite wealthy.

For real estate, probably not what you are looking for, but my own father comes to mind. A bricklayer by trade, then an engineer in the mid's-60's, he paid $2 for a book by a guy named Nickerson called "How to turn $1,000 into a Million in Real Estate." He saved up just enough money to put a down payment on a crummy four unit apartment building. He fixed it up after work and on the weekends, all sweat equity, then traded it for an 8-plex. Then got a couple condos, then a 16-unit, then some houses, etc. Never, ever sold for cash / profit in over 50 years. Buy and hold all the way with a few 1031 exchanges. A lot of them didn't make money early on but he rarely paid people for repair/upgrade work and very slowly they became cash cows.

So, Saint Jack and my old man.
A key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.

Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra » Mon May 04, 2020 10:45 pm

JD2775 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:51 pm
If investors came in trading cards, would you buy them? Imagine the Topps/Fleer/Donruss possibilities....
For the photoshoot, we would have to give the 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken bat to Jim Cramer.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:50 pm

The Greats Jim Cramer & Anderson75
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:28 am

Scott Burns and Peter Lynch were two of my biggest influences.

Scott Burns was a financial columnist in the Dallas Morning News and an early advocate of passive investing.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue May 05, 2020 7:23 am

Taylor Larimore got me here with his comments in Money Magazine years ago.
Then William Bernstein, Larry Swedroe, and Rick Ferri's writings made me swallow the hook.

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am

Jim Cramer. Everything he picks turns to gold.

IndexCore

Post by IndexCore » Tue May 05, 2020 8:48 am

ValuationsMatter wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am
Jim Cramer. Everything he picks turns to gold.
Especially if you ignore him exactly the inconvenient 53% of the time he's wrong.
"Jim Cramer Deconstructed ... Guru Accuracy Rating 47% ... This is about average."
https://www.cxoadvisory.com/individual- ... im-cramer/

I owe a debt of gratitude to John Bogle and Burton G. Malkiel. Setting my debts aside...
I'd favor "The Big Short" for the groups of people making data-driven decisions against the market.

I've read the book and seen the movie 2-3 times. Back in 2008, ratings agencies were providing inaccurate ratings on financial instruments they didn't understand. Sounds crazy, but in March the U.S. stock market rated the corona virus as a -3.4% problem two days after the Fed hit the panic button. As I sold a slice of my portfolio then, it was reassuring to know U.S. markets can ignore data (China, Italy, Korea all using shut downs) and act crazy in the face of a new situation (exponential spread).

It's possible I'm skipping other choices that have already been taken to provide some variety, but still...

Schlabba

Post by Schlabba » Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 am

John Bogle.
I read many books before actually putting my first money into the market because I wasn't really confident in what I was doing. Many of the other books were good and factually correct, but they didn't convince me. Bogle's "Little book of common sense investing" convinced me.
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 am

BernardShakey wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 pm
For securities it has to be John Bogle. His pioneering work has made a lot of average folk quite wealthy.

For real estate, probably not what you are looking for, but my own father comes to mind. A bricklayer by trade, then an engineer in the mid's-60's, he paid $2 for a book by a guy named Nickerson called "How to turn $1,000 into a Million in Real Estate." He saved up just enough money to put a down payment on a crummy four unit apartment building. He fixed it up after work and on the weekends, all sweat equity, then traded it for an 8-plex. Then got a couple condos, then a 16-unit, then some houses, etc. Never, ever sold for cash / profit in over 50 years. Buy and hold all the way with a few 1031 exchanges. A lot of them didn't make money early on but he rarely paid people for repair/upgrade work and very slowly they became cash cows.

So, Saint Jack and my old man.
Great story!
Your "pops" had courage and commitment to push beyond mediocrity, to follow his own path.

Yes. Personal life contact "Mentors" with a positive life impact are priceless. Life influences that "walk the talk". Often, worth more than all the conceptual books and so forth on the planet and beyond.

Thanks for posting this real life inspiration.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Ferdinand2014 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am
Absolutely amazing post and so well said! Thank you Mr. Bogle and Mr. Buffett.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:57 pm

birdog wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:34 am
I believe that Jack Bogle has done far more for investors all over the world than anyone else in history. Yet far more people have heard of Buffett than Bogle. I see Bogle as a largely unsung hero of sorts.
We must continue to spread the message and educate investors with Mr. Bogle's investing advice on the forum!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:41 am
My grandparents.
Depression Era rags to riches story.

FIL = deceased retired WWII career military and early “BogleHead”. Bought $40k of Vanguard Balanced Index when it was first issued which grew to $400k+

j🌺
Simplicity and the magic of compounding at its best!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 05, 2020 6:01 pm

jebmke wrote:
Beat me to it!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX » Tue May 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Mr. Bogle for sure, he changed the whole investing landscape with the index fund revolution, gave the common man a fighting chance against the big boys.

Major cause of the stockbroker industry collapse, no more cold calling the customer rolodex list with the hot stock of the month. Two percent on the buy and two percent on the sell. Those were the days.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:26 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:01 pm
jebmke wrote:
Beat me to it!
Agree. Me. Invested in myself and has paid greater than any investment could ever pay even if I would have bought Amazon at $1.

Useful and practical education, borrowed money (thus the investment in myself), took risk but at all times I had direct influence on the outcome. Not complete and total influence as there is always external factors and luck involved but never the less did not leave career or business in the hands of someone else and “hoping” for it to work out. now receiving lifelong lucrative dividend.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Wed May 06, 2020 10:56 am

Bogle, and a close second are all you Bogleheads who have contributed so much of your time to helping others like me.

My children. They are Bogleheads. Don't have to worry about their financial health.

Van

Post by Van » Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 am

birdog wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:34 am
+1

A real American hero.

jwa

Post by jwa » Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Taylor Larimore