Share your Re-Balancing Strategy

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Kookaburra

Share your Re-Balancing Strategy

Post by Kookaburra » Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Hello Bogleheads

I am reviewing my IPS and the section on re-balancing has always been a weak spot in terms of my understanding of best practices.

I realize re-balancing too often is detrimental (plus, I prefer less tinkering overall). However, the rigidity of a fixed schedule (e.g. once per year) might miss out on opportunities when the market is highly volatile as recently occurred with a 30% drop and rebound.

I’m hoping to learn from the wise folks on this forum. In that spirit, would folks mind sharing their written or unwritten re-balancing strategies? I’m focused on major asset classes (stocks vs bonds). It’s all fair game: fixed schedule, 5/25 rule, fixed frequency PLUS deviation, opportunistic when the market drops by X% over Y days, etc.

Thank you

Triple digit golfer

Re: Share your Re-Balancing Strategy

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun May 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Three fund portfolio

New money goes into lagging fund.
Rebalance by exchanging only when a fund is 5% out of balance or more.
Nothing more, nothing less.

happysteward

Post by happysteward » Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm

my IPS defines my allocation targets in the context of stocks and bonds and other (speaking here of tax deferred space)... every three months I look and judge my need to rebalance based on the "5/25" criteria. If the target percentage for any of my holdings (stocks/bonds/other) is below 20% of total assets, I use the "25% relative" for deciding when to rebalance. If the target percentage for any of my holdings (stocks/bonds/other) is 20% or more I use "5% absolute" for deciding when to rebalance.

My targets are 65/30/5 (stock/bond/other)….so with "5/25" my tolerances are 60-70% stocks (5% absolute around my target), 25-35 % bonds (5% absolute around my target), 4-6% other (25% relative to my target, close enough for me)
Last edited by happysteward on Sun May 03, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun May 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Kookaburra wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm
However, the rigidity of a fixed schedule (e.g. once per year) might miss out on opportunities when the market is highly volatile as recently occurred with a 30% drop and rebound.
What are these "opportunities" of which you speak?

Are you assuming "rebalancing" will lead to higher returns if used as a way to time the market or as part of some kind of technical analysis scheme?

There seem to be some folks here that share your confidence. I doubt their ability to profit from their "rebalancing" efforts, and they've never provided any evidence whatsoever that it has helped or hurt their performance over the long term — which is the time frame that matters.

If the market drops twice as far as the recent lows, following a perfectly good rebalancing plan that had you sitting tight pending a further drop is likely to result in better performance than "rebalancing" early, shoveling more cash into equities only to have greater losses later.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sun May 03, 2020 3:18 pm

Kookaburra wrote:
I am reviewing my IPS and the section on re-balancing has always been a weak spot in terms of my understanding of best practices.
I appreciate this comment. My IPS describes allocations but doesn't go into great detail into the mechanics of rebalancing. At this time, I'm overweight cash by 5% and alternatives 5% (includes residential real estate) and underweight stocks by ~10%. This is somewhat explained by the recent volatility.

At this time, all new fund purchases are going into equity mutual funds so the daily DCA schedule we use shouold achieve the desired rebalanced allocation in a couple of months. However, we'll take opportunities to TLH as they arise and have already done so, although this was more stock to stock fund exchanges. We will likely continue to retain a higher cash surplus in case of a prolonged downturn or job loss.

Will be curious to see others replies. Thanks for posting.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sun May 03, 2020 3:41 pm

I rebalance my portfolio daily using the cash flows of other investors. Actually, Vanguard fund managers do it for me.

I hold an automatically-rebalanced global balanced index One-Fund Portfolio. Such a portfolio is so simple to manage that my wife is able to manage her portfolio.
Bogleheads investment philosophy | One-ETF global balanced index portfolio | VPW

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun May 03, 2020 3:43 pm

Kookaburra wrote:
I’m hoping to learn from the wise folks on this forum.
I've been excluded from answering due to your selection criteria; however, since you asked, I've been rebalancing iaw my IPS directives of a four fund portfolio, a 50 / 50 AA, and either a once a year rebalancing or whenever the AA exceeded a 5% rebalancing band. I believe I'd been following that approach for at least 12 years.

Then, in preparation for the inevitable, in discussing the topic with DW, I found out she didn't like rebalancing. Too complicated. So in January I tore up the portfolio inside the IRA (90%+ of all the our stocks and bonds) and replaced it with two LifeStrategy funds that average out to a 50 / 50 AA and left her with some simple instructions. And, so far it doesn't look as if the portfolio needs any intervention on my part. It may yet.

LifeStrategy funds appear to be rebalanced daily. And, their use has the advantage of easing the effort of maintaining a diversified portfolio and an AA that appears capable of meeting my needs and risk tolerance.

YMMV.
Last edited by RadAudit on Sun May 03, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

reln

Post by reln » Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Kookaburra wrote:
Hello Bogleheads

I realize re-balancing too often is detrimental (plus, I prefer less tinkering overall). However, the rigidity of a fixed schedule (e.g. once per year) might miss out on opportunities when the market is highly volatile as recently occurred with a 30% drop and rebound.

I’m hoping to learn from the wise folks on this forum. In that spirit, would folks mind sharing their written or unwritten re-balancing strategies? I’m focused on major asset classes (stocks vs bonds). It’s all fair game: fixed schedule, 5/25 rule, fixed frequency PLUS deviation, opportunistic when the market drops by X% over Y days, etc.

Thank you
https://investor.vanguard.com/investing ... /rebalance

L82GAME

Post by L82GAME » Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Kookaburra wrote:
Hello Bogleheads

Thank you
I’ve struggled with this since March, as well. As a result, we’ve modified our IPS to allow for more flexibility during volatile bear markets using “Daryanani bands”, and during bull markets by focusing on not breaching our upper bands. Otherwise, it’d be a once per year process. I’m also buying stocks via bi-weekly payroll deductions and have therefore taken these transactions into account recently.

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Sun May 03, 2020 4:14 pm

Rebalance with inflows to lagging funds.

No longer rebalancing from bonds to stocks (moving towards retirement, so reducing risk).

Will use appreciated securities to fund charitable giving and/or to rebalance into bonds when passing 5% threshold

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Every six months only in tax advantage accounts.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun May 03, 2020 4:33 pm

I will rebalance if my target AA is more than 5% off (usually in my 401k tax free). Annually if I get a bonus, I may rebalance with any of those funds I choose to invest, but I usually only do that if I am more than 5% off my AA, which happened this year when my bonus hit mid March.

Topic Author
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra » Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 pm

L82GAME wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm
I’ve struggled with this since March, as well. As a result, we’ve modified our IPS to allow for more flexibility during volatile bear markets using “Daryanani bands”, and during bull markets by focusing on not breaching our upper bands. Otherwise, it’d be a once per year process. I’m also buying stocks via bi-weekly payroll deductions and have therefore taken these transactions into account recently.
What is a “Daryanani band”?

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun May 03, 2020 10:27 pm

I rebalance my overall portfolio to my target allocation every year around my half-birthday (not to the day). The rebalancing happens in the largest non-taxable account so there are no tax consequences and there is enough funds to make the difference..

For tax-deferred portions of the overall portfolio, all new funds are added towards the target allocation.

For tax-free portions, I cannot add any funds directly but will rebalance towards the target allocation after performing a Roth conversion from the Trad IRA.

For the taxable 10-speed portion of my portfolio, all new funds rebalance towards the 10-speed target allocation (80/20).

All the other odd ducks in my portfolio are just along for the ride (at 100/0), but factor into the overall asset allocation.

It's too complicated but is where I am. Only the overall rebalancing on my half-birthday actually gets me to my target.
So the simple answer is "once per year" regardless of market conditions then, or at any time in-between.

Other than when I changed my overall asset allocation from 97/3 to 80/20, I haven't had to make any massive moves. I have since been moving 2% a year towards 70/30 and just recently achieved that. The once yearly moves have been small. It actually required no rebalancing this year. The allocation seems to remain fairly well balanced as long as I add funds to the laggards.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Mon May 04, 2020 7:47 am

I own balanced funds, so I don't have to re-balance.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon May 04, 2020 7:50 am

I use many rebalancing methods. There is absolutely no reason to use a single method. I probably use almost all the methods described in this thread.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts » Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 am

I am also guilty of using more than one. My target is quarterly. It's very tempting to me to rebalance more than necessary. I am not sure really how much that affects the outcome, as well as how much is the effect of picking a random day-of-the-month (or some people here use a birthday annually). But I am convinced that in my lifetime, drawdowns and bull runs take a long time, so it seems like delay is your friend. I try not to mess with it.
A fool and your money are soon partners

L82GAME

Post by L82GAME » Mon May 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Kookaburra wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 pm
L82GAME wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm
What is a “Daryanani band”?
See here: http://resource.fpanet.org/resource/09B ... yanani.pdf

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 pm

In "de-cumulation" phase. Mostly rebalance by taking money from the side that has too much. Don't worry much about any ratio other than stock to bond. The rest just takes care of itself most of the time.

I use 5% bands. When actual rebalancing is needed, I only get back into the band, not to the target.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Mon May 04, 2020 6:31 pm

I recently (because of the last few months) decided to go to a more dynamic AA model following some over-reblancing that got me out of whack.

46% stock - when I feel valuations are very high
50% stock - the majority of time
54% stock - when I feel valuations are very low

My rebalancing bands are an absolute 4%. For example, I currently am at 54% stock and will rebalance if I go below 50% or above 58%. So, part of it is firm (the exact allocations) but part of it is how I feel about the markets. Maybe not what others want (feelings to play a part), but I think it's tough to quantify high/low valuations and therefore I leave myself some room, but no too much in case I am wrong.
Mark

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Mon May 04, 2020 6:42 pm

For me personally, I do most of my financial housekeeping right around the first of the year.

That is when I update all my account balances to be correct, and look at my current AA. I also contemplate if that current AA is something I'm happy with. And if not, I make adjustments.

This is handy, because early January is also when I make my backdoor Roth contributions, and generally put a bunch of money in the market based on bonuses from work. So more often than not, it really just consists of me buying stuff that I feel "a little light" on.

I also relook at my 401K elections, and my monthly automatic investments, and make sure that won't sway my AA over the next 12 months.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm

OP,

Here is my approach....

1. Always re-balance at the beginning of the year to the target Asset Allocation.
2. Leverage opportunities to rebalance throughout the year through Funding Expenses, RMDs, QCDs by targeting specific Assets that are over-weighted.
3. Re-balance more frequently if a 5% Actual or 20% Relative threshold is exceeded. Periodically review the asset allocations to see if a rebalancing opportunity is present. The goal is to keep the Asset Allocation you are comfortable with while still allowing the market to move and change. Short-term and/or small deviations are simply not worth the effort and can be counter-productive.

Example 1 (20% Relative Re-balancing):
If fund XYZ has an allocation of 10% (20% of 10 is 2%) than you would re-balance, if:
a. If it went down to 8% (10% - 2%), you would buy more by selling other Assets
b. If it went up to 12% (10% + 2%), you would sell and by other assets.

Example 2 (5% Actual Re-balancing)
if fund XYZ has an allocation of 30% than you would re-balance, if:
a. If it went down to 25% (30% - 5%), you would buy more by selling other Assets
b. If it went up to 35% (30% + 5%), you would sell and by other assets.

WoodSpinner

rnitz

Post by rnitz » Mon May 04, 2020 8:21 pm

I always thought of myself as a typical boglehead, but in this case I guess I'm wrong. Let me offer a countercultural view.

My re-balancing strategy: I don't.

I'm retired and started out 60/40 equities/bonds but with the long run up in stocks I'm now closer to 70/30. Note that my bond portfolio is just about where it was when I started, it's just that stocks have zoomed. I set my bond percentage not so much on a percentage basis, but on whether I could reasonably live if stocks went to zero forever (yes, with some cut backs, but a good, reasonable life). My spending hasn't changed, just the net worth and percentages - so why would I buy more bonds (they're still enough). I don't see why you need to tinker and market time (excuse me, "re-balance") if your bonds are set to a reasonable level for you. Anyway, one man's opinion.

OffGridder

Post by OffGridder » Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 am

rnitz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:21 pm
I always thought of myself as a typical boglehead, but in this case I guess I'm wrong. Let me offer a countercultural view.

I'm retired and started out 60/40 equities/bonds but with the long run up in stocks I'm now closer to 70/30. Note that my bond portfolio is just about where it was when I started, it's just that stocks have zoomed. I set my bond percentage not so much on a percentage basis, but on whether I could reasonably live if stocks went to zero forever (yes, with some cut backs, but a good, reasonable life). My spending hasn't changed, just the net worth and percentages - so why would I buy more bonds (they're still enough). I don't see why you need to tinker and market time (excuse me, "re-balance") if your bonds are set to a reasonable level for you. Anyway, one man's opinion.
Your approach is reasonable if it matches your personal risk tolerance. Are you withdrawing from your stocks to fund expenses?
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau

Hector

Post by Hector » Tue May 05, 2020 2:06 pm

In the accumulation phase, sell bonds to buy stocks when stocks go below the desired allocation.
Use new contributions/dividend into bonds when bonds go below the desired allocation.

rnitz

Post by rnitz » Tue May 05, 2020 8:35 pm

OffGridder wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 am
rnitz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Your approach is reasonable if it matches your personal risk tolerance. Are you withdrawing from your stocks to fund expenses?
Yes, but I'm questioning that. The last two years I've sold some stocks (but small, as most of our spending is covered by dividends) but the capital gains taxes have vexed me. Selling bonds incurs no additional taxes, so I'm in a bit of a quandary as to whether it's better to drift back to initial asset allocation numbers or save real dollars by paying less taxes. I wish I'd written this into my IPS so I don't have to play with this (and risk hidden market timing impulses).