What is the Essential investing reading list?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

What is the Essential investing reading list?

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi folks,

I want to make an "essential" reading list that would give someone a comprehensive understanding of investing.
Especially: how to buy and hold during bear crisis and why marketing timing must not be attempted.

I believe these three are the classic ones that would be on this list.

1. A Random Walk Down Wall Street
2. Little Book of Common Sense Investing
3. Four Pillars of Investing

Can you help me complete it please? Or give your recommend 4-6 books (in the order your would recommend)?

Would you include these as essential reading?
Winning the Loser's Game
Stocks for the Long Run
A Wealth of Common Sense

Re: What is the Essential investing reading list?

Post by 1789 »

There is a lot of good book out there. I would pick from Taylor's list and start with the latest editions.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Taylor_ ... tment_Gems
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
rudeboy

Post by rudeboy »

The three you mentioned are all great books, but they all say more-or-less the same thing, so I don't really think they form a good cumulative list of essential reading.

Just like successful investing itself, pick one good book about index investing and call it good enough.
jimkinny

Post by jimkinny »

rudeboy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am The three you mentioned are all great books, but they all say more-or-less the same thing, so I don't really think they form a good cumulative list of essential reading.

Just like successful investing itself, pick one good book about index investing and call it good enough.
+1 Bogleheads Guide to Investing
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

consider the only investment guide you will ever need[/b] by definition it is pretty good
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

rudeboy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am The three you mentioned are all great books, but they all say more-or-less the same thing, so I don't really think they form a good cumulative list of essential reading.

Hi, thanks for posting. Good point.

What about the last three, are they redundant too?
Winning the Loser's Game
Stocks for the Long Run
A Wealth of Common Sense
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

For accumulators, "If You Can" by William Bernstein is a great start. It's short, covers the essentials, and offers some more suggested reading.

The Bogleheads Guide to Investing is also an excellent starting point.

For 99% of people, just reading one of those is sufficient. Anyone who wants more can just pick anything by Bogle, Bernstein, Ferri, or Swedroe, or pick a book off of one of the Bogleheads Wiki's book lists.