Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm

And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.

CoastalWinds
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by CoastalWinds » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Yes it will. My guesstimate is it will take: (i) a vaccine and (ii) about 2-3 years.

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4814
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:33 pm

"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Yes it will. My guesstimate is it will take: (i) a vaccine and (ii) about 2-3 years.
And if a vaccine can't be made? Never heard of a vaccine for coronavirus (common cold) before.

CoastalWinds
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by CoastalWinds » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm
CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Yes it will. My guesstimate is it will take: (i) a vaccine and (ii) about 2-3 years.
And if a vaccine can't be made? Never heard of a vaccine for coronavirus (common cold) before.
Sometimes the search for a vaccine loses impetus when it is found that the symptoms are relatively benign. All signs point to the symptoms of this being anything but, with death or permanent respiratory damage relatively common. So there will be more resources put towards finding a vaccine for as long as it takes.

Hyperchicken
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Hyperchicken » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:37 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm
And if a vaccine can't be made? Never heard of a vaccine for coronavirus (common cold) before.
Then the new generation will rebuild the Earth from the ashes.

User avatar
Crushtheturtle
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:29 pm
Location: SC

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Crushtheturtle » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Can you imagine a world in which we can't cure the cold virus?

Utter chaos. Permanently low stock market.

Cats and dogs, living together.
Last edited by Crushtheturtle on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonIce
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by DonIce » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Don't know anything about the Dow since who cares about it, but the S&P500 will certainly pass its all time high of 3393 again.

Jim180
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Jim180 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Oh yes, I don't know how long it will take but it will. I remember after dot-com bubble people were asking if the Nasdaq would ever hit 5000 again.

dru808
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by dru808 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:48 pm

Ever? Absolutely, unless it’s different this time
75/25 - schk, schd, vigi / govt

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 9870
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:49 pm

The economic cycle is ...a ....cycle.🚴🏻‍♂️

J🏝
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Small Savanna
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:27 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Small Savanna » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Yes, but not in 2020. I'd guess between two and five years.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 5482
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by watchnerd » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:54 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm
And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.
No, never again will it be that high. Ever.

Sell all your shares to me.

I want to add those puppies to my collection so I can watch them grow big and strong and give them a forever home.

MUAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

User avatar
Pete12
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Pete12 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:55 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm
And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.
Yes

dru808
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by dru808 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:33 pm
probably, but you shouldn't focus on the dow. here's why:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012 ... ut-the-dow
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017 ... e-the-hype
I see this argument all the time. Is there an extended time in history where the Dow and s&p were so different in gain/loss, you could point to and say “here’s why the Dow makes no sense”?
75/25 - schk, schd, vigi / govt

Monsterflockster
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:03 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Monsterflockster » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Dow 50,000 by 2030.

User avatar
hagridshut
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by hagridshut » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio

jpmorganfunds
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:56 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by jpmorganfunds » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:31 pm

After the housing crash it took over 4 years.

frugaltigris
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by frugaltigris » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Yes it will in 3-5 years

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Bluce » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm
CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Yes it will. My guesstimate is it will take: (i) a vaccine and (ii) about 2-3 years.
And if a vaccine can't be made? Never heard of a vaccine for coronavirus (common cold) before.
I'm hardly a doctor or scientist, but I recall (and I'm not senile yet) reading, years ago, these points:

- There are around 200 "common cold" viruses.

- Each cold you get, you will then have antibodies for it. This is why us old peeps don't get that many colds, but if we got one per year we would have to live to 200 to be immune to all of them.

- Kids get colds all the time because they aren't immune to any of them yet.

- I do not recall reading anything about cold viruses mutating, as many other viruses do.

Just speculating on this: To cure the common cold they would have to make a vaccine for each of the 200 viruses and it probably isn't worth it.

I will gladly stand corrected on any of the above, but one thing I do know is that medicine is anything but an exact science.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes

Unladen_Swallow
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm
And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.
The world might just end.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Cubicle » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:18 pm

hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
As of my typing this:

24360 new posts and replies over 1668 topics in last 7 days
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

User avatar
dmcmahon
Posts: 2163
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by dmcmahon » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Monsterflockster wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 pm
Dow 50,000 by 2030.
Starbucks Latte $50,000.00 by 2030! :D

smitcat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:47 am

hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
Yes - those and when all posts about FIRE, 4% is a safe draw, and 100% stock portfolios have not been updated in weeks.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9211
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:55 am

Crushtheturtle wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm
Cats and dogs, living together.
It's OK as long as they're married. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

GoldenFinch
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am

hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
Yes. I’ve been noticing some posters are getting really angry about the stay the course mantra. Also, capitulation posts are going up by the day.

anoop
Posts: 1281
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by anoop » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 am

I can see Dow at 100k in about 5-7 years.

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Bluce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am
hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
Yes. I’ve been noticing some posters are getting really angry about the stay the course mantra. Also, capitulation posts are going up by the day.
Interesting. :beer

I'm not here all the time, so I haven't noticed any of that.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes

User avatar
hagridshut
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by hagridshut » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 am

Bluce wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am
GoldenFinch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am
hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
Yes. I’ve been noticing some posters are getting really angry about the stay the course mantra. Also, capitulation posts are going up by the day.
Interesting. :beer

I'm not here all the time, so I haven't noticed any of that.
A member here insulted me 5 times in one post yesterday. Their post was deleted by a moderator, but viewtopic.php?f=10&t=308680&p=5123018#p5123018
First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 2738
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by knpstr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 am

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm
And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.
No, DJIA will NEVER see 29500 ever again... (this is sarcasm)

Who knows how long it will take. Probably a while.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

User avatar
hagridshut
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by hagridshut » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am

Bluce wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am
GoldenFinch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am
hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
Yes. I’ve been noticing some posters are getting really angry about the stay the course mantra. Also, capitulation posts are going up by the day.
Interesting. :beer

I'm not here all the time, so I haven't noticed any of that.
Someone insulted me 5 times in one post yesterday. Their post was deleted by a moderator, but I recounted some of what they wrote to me here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=308680&p=5123018#p5123018
First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Bluce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:02 am

hagridshut wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am
Bluce wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am
GoldenFinch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am
hagridshut wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Signal for the bottom is when people are so demoralized that they can no longer bring themselves to visit these forums, and most of the final posts from departing members are bitter, profane, and angry diatribes cursing "Bogleheads" for encouraging us to "Stay the Course". We are getting there, at least anger wise.

Are forum stats as far as volume of posts/day available?
Yes. I’ve been noticing some posters are getting really angry about the stay the course mantra. Also, capitulation posts are going up by the day.
Interesting. :beer

I'm not here all the time, so I haven't noticed any of that.
Someone insulted me 5 times in one post yesterday. Their post was deleted by a moderator, but I recounted some of what they wrote to me here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=308680&p=5123018#p5123018
Haha! Never saw that thread before. :sharebeer
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes

BW1985
Posts: 1896
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by BW1985 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:11 am

knpstr wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 am
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm
And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.
No, DJIA will NEVER see 29500 ever again... (this is sarcasm)

Who knows how long it will take. Probably a while.
Are you still 100% equities? Just curious because I remember you from your avatar.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 2738
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by knpstr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am

BW1985 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:11 am
Are you still 100% equities? Just curious because I remember you from your avatar.
Yes, and buying more weekly as always.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

BW1985
Posts: 1896
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by BW1985 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 pm

knpstr wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am
BW1985 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:11 am
Are you still 100% equities? Just curious because I remember you from your avatar.
Yes, and buying more weekly as always.
That's what I figured.

Staying the course here as well, I have a large cash EF so I was not quite 100/0.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Ocean77
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Ocean77 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:24 pm

The Dow will stay at around the current level until I retire in about 10 years, and on that day jump up to 60,000. So no, it won't ever be at 29,500. :mrgreen:

GT99
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by GT99 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:25 pm

Bluce wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 pm

I'm hardly a doctor or scientist, but I recall (and I'm not senile yet) reading, years ago, these points:

- There are around 200 "common cold" viruses.

- Each cold you get, you will then have antibodies for it. This is why us old peeps don't get that many colds, but if we got one per year we would have to live to 200 to be immune to all of them.

- Kids get colds all the time because they aren't immune to any of them yet.

- I do not recall reading anything about cold viruses mutating, as many other viruses do.

Just speculating on this: To cure the common cold they would have to make a vaccine for each of the 200 viruses and it probably isn't worth it.

I will gladly stand corrected on any of the above, but one thing I do know is that medicine is anything but an exact science.
Mostly correct. Cold viruses mutate regularly (well over 200 versions now). To create an effective vaccine, it would have be be updated yearly like the flu vaccine to keep working. Not at all worth the cost for what is an inconvenience for most.

GT99
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by GT99 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm

If the Dow never gets back to 29500 again, we've got a lot more to worry about than our investments.
I think it will get back quicker than the housing crash. 18 months to 2 years.

protagonist
Posts: 6242
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by protagonist » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Why would anybody ask mere mortals this question?
Do their opinions matter? Do they have any valid scientific basis for their conclusions?

You can't see into the future. It's just starting now.

Glockenspiel
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm predicting it will be 3-4 years. Near the end of the next presidential administration.

aristotelian
Posts: 7002
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by aristotelian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm
CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Yes it will. My guesstimate is it will take: (i) a vaccine and (ii) about 2-3 years.
And if a vaccine can't be made? Never heard of a vaccine for coronavirus (common cold) before.
They are already testing it in Seattle.

randomguy
Posts: 8672
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by randomguy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 pm
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm
CoastalWinds wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm
Yes it will. My guesstimate is it will take: (i) a vaccine and (ii) about 2-3 years.
And if a vaccine can't be made? Never heard of a vaccine for coronavirus (common cold) before.
Sometimes the search for a vaccine loses impetus when it is found that the symptoms are relatively benign. All signs point to the symptoms of this being anything but, with death or permanent respiratory damage relatively common. So there will be more resources put towards finding a vaccine for as long as it takes.
We are still working on HSV, HIV, and a zillion other viruses' despite there being a huge profit incentive and some of them being pretty deadly. Not being an expert in the area, I assume that some of these diseases are just hard. 5But even with out a vaccine, it would be reasonable to expect things to fade away. But that make take 2-3 years and will likely be things where we you have periods of calm and periods of panic.

But yeah unless the DJIA stops getting published, we will almost surely hit 29500 again.

User avatar
Bluce
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Bluce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 pm

GT99 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:25 pm
Bluce wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 pm

I'm hardly a doctor or scientist, but I recall (and I'm not senile yet) reading, years ago, these points:

- There are around 200 "common cold" viruses.

- Each cold you get, you will then have antibodies for it. This is why us old peeps don't get that many colds, but if we got one per year we would have to live to 200 to be immune to all of them.

- Kids get colds all the time because they aren't immune to any of them yet.

- I do not recall reading anything about cold viruses mutating, as many other viruses do.

Just speculating on this: To cure the common cold they would have to make a vaccine for each of the 200 viruses and it probably isn't worth it.

I will gladly stand corrected on any of the above, but one thing I do know is that medicine is anything but an exact science.
Mostly correct. Cold viruses mutate regularly (well over 200 versions now). To create an effective vaccine, it would have be be updated yearly like the flu vaccine to keep working. Not at all worth the cost for what is an inconvenience for most.
Thank you! :beer
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4814
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 pm

dru808 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:33 pm
probably, but you shouldn't focus on the dow. here's why:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012 ... ut-the-dow
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017 ... e-the-hype
I see this argument all the time. Is there an extended time in history where the Dow and s&p were so different in gain/loss, you could point to and say “here’s why the Dow makes no sense”?
you wanna go with something more precise or less precise?
The S&P 500 is considered an effective representation for the economy due to its inclusion of around 500 companies, which covers all areas of the United States and across all industries. In contrast, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) is comprised of 30 companies, leading to a more narrow reflection. Further, the DJIA is a price-weighted index, so the largest weighted components are determined by its stock price rather than some fundamental measure.

The S&P 500 is a broader representation, having more stocks and covering every industry. The DJIA is limited and the movement of a stock in the DJIA can have a greater impact than that of the S&P 500. The largest weighted stock in the S&P 500 likely has a smaller weighting than the largest weighted stock in the DJIA. The movement of a few companies can have a profound impact on the DJIA.
source: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... ulated.asp
And those are the least of the Dow's problems. More troubling is that it ignores the overall size of companies and pays attention to only their share prices. This causes all sorts of oddities. ExxonMobil, for example, divides its value into nearly five billion lower-cost shares, while Caterpillar has around 650 million more expensive ones. Therefore ExxonMobil, one of the largest companies in history, pulls less weight on the Dow than a company less than a fifth its size....

None of these criticisms will come as news to finance professionals, most of whom use far more precise measures — like the S&P 500 or the Wilshire 5,000, which cover more companies more precisely.
source: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012 ... ut-the-dow
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Rat_Race
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Rat_Race » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm

I suppose a similar question would be: Will Japan's Nikkei ever hit 38,915.87 again? Since 1989, that answer so far has been a resounding "no".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ice_bubble

LawProf
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:32 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by LawProf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm still waiting for it to hit 36,000.

squirm
Posts: 2525
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by squirm » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:15 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:28 pm
And if so, how long til we get back to the peak? Seems like if it keeps dropping significantly the harder it will be to get back to peqk levels. 10 years?

I'm pretty bummed that I only started to max out retirement accounts the last few years at all time highs and might not be able to contribute at the lows if I am out of a job.
Having the market rally back up is one thing, it's another thing to make new highs and stay there.

The issue the fed was having before was a low inflation rate. Now it's going to be even harder for them.

squirm
Posts: 2525
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by squirm » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:15 pm

Rat_Race wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm
I suppose a similar question would be: Will Japan's Nikkei ever hit 38,915.87 again? Since 1989, that answer so far has been a resounding "no".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ice_bubble
Yup.
Market can go low and stay low. They can also go low and go even lower, just like Japan.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Rat_Race wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm
I suppose a similar question would be: Will Japan's Nikkei ever hit 38,915.87 again? Since 1989, that answer so far has been a resounding "no".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ice_bubble
What was the p/e ratio of the nikkei at its peak?

Montgomery
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Will the Dow ever see 29500 again?

Post by Montgomery » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Yes, unless all business activity stops forever and the human heart is suddenly devoid of ambition. Barring those two or a nuclear disaster globally, the markets will rise again.

Post Reply