Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bpr
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by bpr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 pm

I am guessing he is looking into Boeing and Disney

Frank2012
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Frank2012 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm
Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm
Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:18 pm


Yes, I can and did use Google and saw that. It’s not what Frank2012 said. It’s a compilation from prior interviews. He said he’s currently doing a lot of interviews. I’d like to see one.
Leesbro, simply google, youtube, etc. and you will see Warren lighting up the map.
I have. Can you point me to one that’s less than 10 days old?

Wait. What? 10 days is old to you?
Are you kidding me? The last 10 days have been a lifetime in the financial world. Yes, certainly, anything from Buffett prior to 10 dats ago is old. And doesn’t address my original comment that he suspiciously hasn’t weighed in on this crisis as he has priors.

Leesbro, No, 10 days is not a lifetime in the financial world, it's just 10 days. That being said, Warren opined on COVID-19 about a week ago on Yahoo Finance. Nothing suspicious.

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm
Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm
Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 pm


Leesbro, simply google, youtube, etc. and you will see Warren lighting up the map.
I have. Can you point me to one that’s less than 10 days old?

Wait. What? 10 days is old to you?
Are you kidding me? The last 10 days have been a lifetime in the financial world. Yes, certainly, anything from Buffett prior to 10 dats ago is old. And doesn’t address my original comment that he suspiciously hasn’t weighed in on this crisis as he has priors.

Leesbro, No, 10 days is not a lifetime in the financial world, it's just 10 days. That being said, Warren opined on COVID-19 about a week ago on Yahoo Finance. Nothing suspicious.
Can you point me to it? I stand by my contention that these last 10 days have been somewhat of a lifetime.

Stormbringer
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:07 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm

United Airlines (UAL) currently has a P/E of 2. The market cap is $6 billion. I'm betting that Buffett quietly ups his stake in the airlines, or buys one outright.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm
United Airlines (UAL) currently has a P/E of 2. The market cap is $6 billion. I'm betting that Buffett quietly ups his stake in the airlines, or buys one outright.
What earnings? 😱

delrinson
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by delrinson » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm

I take Buffett’s silence to be a positive sign. Berkshire was built for this moment. I have the same fears and apprehensions as everyone else… But very glad to be a Berkshire shareholder.

drk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by drk » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Some of Buffett's portfolio companies are lobbying for a bailout from the federal government. Maybe he decided that it would be inappropriate to speak publicly about the market right now.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9339
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by JoMoney » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Maybe BRK is a party involved in those World Bank "Pandemic Bonds" that might become worthless soon. Probably not... who knows :confused
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... us-spreads
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Frank2012
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Frank2012 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:18 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm
Frank2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm


I have. Can you point me to one that’s less than 10 days old?

Wait. What? 10 days is old to you?
Are you kidding me? The last 10 days have been a lifetime in the financial world. Yes, certainly, anything from Buffett prior to 10 dats ago is old. And doesn’t address my original comment that he suspiciously hasn’t weighed in on this crisis as he has priors.

Leesbro, No, 10 days is not a lifetime in the financial world, it's just 10 days. That being said, Warren opined on COVID-19 about a week ago on Yahoo Finance. Nothing suspicious.
Can you point me to it? I stand by my contention that these last 10 days have been somewhat of a lifetime.

Leesbro, Yes I can point you to it, and in previous posts I've suggested you do a google or youtube search and you will easly find it. Or do a YahooFinance search...but you can find it.

Nothing suspicious nor has Warren gone silent.

I'm wondering if this thread has run its course and needs to be locked....

User avatar
HanSolo
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by HanSolo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 am

Frank2012 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:18 am
Leesbro, Yes I can point you to it, and in previous posts I've suggested you do a google or youtube search and you will easly find it. Or do a YahooFinance search...but you can find it.
Interesting that Frank can't find it either.
Stormbringer wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm
United Airlines (UAL) currently has a P/E of 2. The market cap is $6 billion. I'm betting that Buffett quietly ups his stake in the airlines, or buys one outright.
As someone pointed out, he did increase his stake in Delta. As for buying one outright, hopefully it's not one that's headed for bankruptcy (in which the common shareholders get wiped out).

james22
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by james22 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 am

He's undoubtedly afraid of being jumped on by Bogleheads for market timing.

columbia
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by columbia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 am

james22 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 am
He's undoubtedly afraid of being jumped on by Bogleheads for market timing.

:P
If you leave your head in the sand for too long, you might get run over by a Jeep.

Frank2012
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Frank2012 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am

HanSolo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 am
Frank2012 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:18 am
Leesbro, Yes I can point you to it, and in previous posts I've suggested you do a google or youtube search and you will easly find it. Or do a YahooFinance search...but you can find it.
Interesting that Frank can't find it either.
Stormbringer wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm
United Airlines (UAL) currently has a P/E of 2. The market cap is $6 billion. I'm betting that Buffett quietly ups his stake in the airlines, or buys one outright.
As someone pointed out, he did increase his stake in Delta. As for buying one outright, hopefully it's not one that's headed for bankruptcy (in which the common shareholders get wiped out).

HansSolo, you are wrong. I did find it. Anyone can find it. Why can't you? It's Yahoo Finance on YouTube. Easy peasy.

Has this thread run its course yet?

User avatar
PoultryMan
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by PoultryMan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 am

Warren Buffett is 89 years old, Munger is in his mid 90’s. All the Coca Cola drinking jokes aside, they are both ultra vulnerable to this virus and are likely in isolation.

Isolation with the ability to read for hours is also when his investing acumen is most keen. I would expect he is interviewed by distance and encourages us that business will be impacted in unprecedented ways, but that businesses will come back and to invest in those businesses as the best long term play.

The markets would do well to hear encouragement from him. The markets need him around and healthy, but to do the first he needs to ensure the latter.
Last edited by PoultryMan on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

columbia
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by columbia » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 am

March 21:

Warren Buffett discussed coronavirus, Coca-Cola, and past market crashes in a recent interview. Here are his 12 best quotes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets.bu ... 1029019507
If you leave your head in the sand for too long, you might get run over by a Jeep.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22573
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 am

Catfish Plumber wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:37 pm
CoastalWinds wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 pm
Buffet and Gates gave pledged to leave their fortunes to charities after their passing, but I wish they would consider using some of their funds TODAY to help ease the current pandemic and economic collapse.
“The Gates Foundation has committed up to $100 million to help with the COVID-19 response around the world, as well as $5 million to support our home state of Washington.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/co ... nda_gates/
Don’t you love the conditional statement? Pledged up to could mean anything from $1 to $100 million. Be forthcoming and truthful, clarifying exactly how much are you contributing to the cause.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22573
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am

drk wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 pm
Some of Buffett's portfolio companies are lobbying for a bailout from the federal government. Maybe he decided that it would be inappropriate to speak publicly about the market right now.
It won’t be a bailout, it will be in the form of a loan or guarantee.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Mr.BB
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Mr.BB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:14 am

bpr wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 pm
I am guessing he is looking into Boeing and Disney
+1
Not to mention a few other companies. He always reminded me of a sniper. Very patient just sits and waits for his opportunity.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

User avatar
HanSolo
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by HanSolo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 am

Frank2012 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am
HansSolo, you are wrong. I did find it. Anyone can find it. Why can't you? It's Yahoo Finance on YouTube. Easy peasy.
We know. You said that already.
Has this thread run its course yet?
Only if people keep repeating themselves.
columbia wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 am
March 21:

Warren Buffett discussed coronavirus, Coca-Cola, and past market crashes in a recent interview. Here are his 12 best quotes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets.bu ... 1029019507
The March 21 article on Business Insider is about an interview that took place on March 10 (not within the 10 days the OP asked for).

I agree with the earlier post that Warren is probably busy with things for which he has fiduciary responsibility. In my opinion, if someone wants to benefit from The Oracle's perspective, they might just buy shares in Berkshire.

Disclaimer: I don't give stock-picking advice! Cheers...

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9339
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by JoMoney » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:42 am

I'm sure Mr. Buffett is following medical advice and not going out or doing any unnecessary meetings,
He's consuming lots of Cherry Coke, and busy at work deploying the cash hoard BRK had been piling up. Everyone else seems to be moving to cash, I'm sure he's moving it out... once he makes the big purchases he has his eye on, then maybe he'll do an OpEd or something saying "Buy American. I am."
Maybe he'll say something different this time ( I doubt it. His message has been pretty darn consistent over time.)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:44 am

I’m the OP and think this thread has TEMPORARILY run it’s course. I suggest we back off here, for now. And when something new comes from WB, someone can post and we can discuss. Until then, stay safe everyone and best wishes.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

drk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by drk » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:59 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am
drk wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 pm
Some of Buffett's portfolio companies are lobbying for a bailout from the federal government. Maybe he decided that it would be inappropriate to speak publicly about the market right now.
It won’t be a bailout, it will be in the form of a loan or guarantee.
That is most definitely a bailout. Even better, they're asking for loans and guarantees worth more than the companies' combined market cap.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22573
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:59 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am
drk wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 pm
Some of Buffett's portfolio companies are lobbying for a bailout from the federal government. Maybe he decided that it would be inappropriate to speak publicly about the market right now.
It won’t be a bailout, it will be in the form of a loan or guarantee.
That is most definitely a bailout. Even better, they're asking for loans and guarantees worth more than the companies' combined market cap.
The market cap before the crisis or during the crisis. You see this market cap you are looking at today is a dislocation of capital brought about by panic, not by real economic destruction. No company has lost 2/3's of their value in 3 weeks unless it's due to a "run or liquidation" by non rational people.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

drk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by drk » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 pm
The market cap before the crisis or during the crisis. You see this market cap you are looking at today is a dislocation of capital brought about by panic, not by real economic destruction. No company has lost 2/3's of their value in 3 weeks unless it's due to a "run or liquidation" by non rational people.
This is a weird, circular claim. If there were no real economic destruction, we wouldn't be having this conversation because the airlines could go on operating as usual rather than talking about 80% reductions in revenue. Maybe what you're trying to say is that their book value remains unchanged, but even that is questionable because liquidation of any of them would happen in a market expecting liquidation of several of them, reducing the price for their physical assets.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22573
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 pm
The market cap before the crisis or during the crisis. You see this market cap you are looking at today is a dislocation of capital brought about by panic, not by real economic destruction. No company has lost 2/3's of their value in 3 weeks unless it's due to a "run or liquidation" by non rational people.
This is a weird, circular claim. If there were no real economic destruction, we wouldn't be having this conversation because the airlines could go on operating as usual rather than talking about 80% reductions in revenue. Maybe what you're trying to say is that their book value remains unchanged, but even that is questionable because liquidation of any of them would happen in a market expecting liquidation of several of them, reducing the price for their physical assets.
An investor is always forward looking, a speculator only looks as far as tomorrow and maybe not even that far. There is risk in investing for that reason, you are in a sense hoping that the future is brighter in 1, 2, 3 even 5 years down the road. But let's look at the matter at hand, when these companies annual reports come out even if they have not already this year, I'll bet there is not 1 opinion from it's auditors that they are "going concerns", not 1. I did recently read Royal Dutch Shell's annual report, actually I'm still reading it and while they mention that Covid-19 could impact their business, they don't know the extent of it and there is zero mention of them being a going concern. I'm ignoring book value for the time being because book value can change if values become impaired. The question here is the impairment temporary or is it permanent, is it measurable? As an investor, I'm saying the book value is temporarily impaired, but to some extent it could be permanent. What is the amount of the permanent impairment and do I think it's enough to significantly discount the value of the business to the point it currently is? So let's say that business is disrupted for 6 months or 6 months of revenue disappears? Does that sink a business? Likely not, corporations have a few levers to pull - they can sell new shares to the public, they can borrow money so long as they can show they are willing and able to repay it on a timely basis. The airframe manufacturers are going to continue selling/leasing them planes - it's in their best interest to do so. A potential "loan program" is a sign of confidence in the industry but it's not a giveaway if it comes with conditions as this one will - I read a full page in yesterday's WSJ where the industry pledges to eliminate dividends, buybacks and to curb executive compensation. There could be other covenants written into a loan program - the lender sets the terms, not the industry. I think that is a good first step to putting them back on stable footing. It's not guaranteed. But a vote of confidence is going to go a long way into revaluation to a more appropriate level. What that level is, I don't know but it's more than the discount its trading at currently.

I've seen this movie before with other industries at other times, usually there is no complete and total destruction of industries for short term crisis.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:42 am

All sorts of crisis and financial stuff happening every day and still not a peep out of Omaha.

vbdoug
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:44 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by vbdoug » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm

So is anyone buying Berkshire? I am considering it.

theorist
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by theorist » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 pm

vbdoug wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm
So is anyone buying Berkshire? I am considering it.
I bought some more shares of Berkshire B when it was around 160-175 in the past few days!

halfnine
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by halfnine » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 am

theorist wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 pm
vbdoug wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm
So is anyone buying Berkshire? I am considering it.
I bought some more shares of Berkshire B when it was around 160-175 in the past few days!
Considering Berkshire didn't outperform after the last recession. No.

User avatar
burt
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by burt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 am

During the 2008/2009 crash, Buffett worked out deals to buy preferred shares of distressed companies. GE and Dow Chemical were a couple of these companies. He bought about $5 Billion in each company. The preferred shares were paying 9% annual dividends with restrictions on when the company could buy the shares back. I remember Buffett saying something to the effect "I went in with a thimble and should have gone in with a bucket."

Valuethinker
Posts: 40291
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 am

MathWizard wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 pm
CoastalWinds wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 pm
Buffet and Gates gave pledged to leave their fortunes to charities after their passing, but I wish they would consider using some of their funds TODAY to help ease the current pandemic and economic collapse.
Coronavirus has killed just under 9 thousand people.

Malaria kills more than a million a year, mostly children.

A big difference is that Coronavirus is hitting the developed world, while malaria and a whole host of other diseases affect just the third world.
Coronavirus has yet to hit developing countries in a big way. If it does it will have huge impacts. Think of India - a tiny number of intensive care beds, many people lack clean ways to even wash their hands, cities are hugely crowded.

The reason we know about Covid-19's impacts is because it has hit countries that have good public healthcare and tracking systems. And their medical systems have been overwhelmed (Italy, Spain). Other places (Russia) deny they have a problem yet all evidence suggests that they must have one- statistics in a place like Russia have always had a political slant.

The only developing country we know much about the impact is Iran. And we have all seen the satellite photos of the mass expansion of graveyards, there. When it gets to the Syrian refugee camps (something like 5 million people) then we really will see deaths en masse. The fatality rate will be far higher than in developed countries.

We only know for a relatively small number of countries how many lives were taken in the 1918-19 flu. Hence the lower estimates of about 25 million which was the accepted figure until about 25 years ago. Consensus is that this is a vast underestimate of a number likely to be around 50 million (but could be higher) - places like India and Africa were absolutely devastated, but their was no Imperial infrastructure to record the deaths of "natives".

I'm sure he will at least help his home state of Washington, but the developed world has the resources to help itself. The Gates foundation has been using its resources to fight malaria and a host of other diseases which primarily kill in the third world. If the Gates foundation decides to continue to use its money to help those who don't have the resources, rather than fight Covid -19 that is certainly not an indefensible position .
I think they have committed some money?

The thing is that they aim for what governments cannot do - e g malaria. Covid-19 governments are taking strong action to fund research.

Valuethinker
Posts: 40291
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 am

bpr wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 pm
I am guessing he is looking into Boeing and Disney
Maybe. He is already heavily aerospace exposed (Netjets & Precision Castparts).

He could be sitting on huge insurance losses, as one of the world's largest insurers. Also liquidity has dried up and that too could affect his insurance operations (unlimited Quantitative Easing probably offsets that).

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 am

Still nothing but “crickets” from Omaha.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9339
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by JoMoney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Here's something, probably not what you're expecting... sounds like he phoned it in:
https://youtu.be/Bpx5rKi4f8w
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

sambb
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by sambb » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:50 pm

he might not care or even know the long term implications.

WolfgangPauli
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:28 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by WolfgangPauli » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:52 pm

InvestInPasta wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:39 pm
Maybe we will hear from him when there will be blood in the streets, when everybody will be fearful and scared to death. :beer

He will be greedy when the others will be fearful. :greedy

BTW my portfolio is down only 2.5% and I am already starting to be fearful. :mrgreen:
Wow, only down 2.5%.. .You either are not invested much in stocks or you are doing something magical other than indexing? Fill us in :)
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm

A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Posts: 1577
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Staying home - Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
I'm curious why you think it matters. What obligation does he have to share his thinking?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

theorist
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by theorist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Optimistic case: busy with elephant sized purchase(s)

Pessimistic case: he or Charlie is fighting illness

Perhaps it is neither, since guessing at what is going on in other people’s lives is notoriously difficult.

pkjr
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by pkjr » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:27 pm

it's very simple.. we are not "there" yet :-) this is just an initial phase.. now we need to wait for 'cracks' to show up and businesses start going under

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
I'm curious why you think it matters. What obligation does he have to share his thinking?
Because that’s what he always does. His absence is curious.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9339
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by JoMoney » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
Not "nothing" I posted the Youtube link to his video on the 24th of March.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Unladen_Swallow
Posts: 784
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Buffett is home, self isolating. Like everyone else.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5710
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Random Musings » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 pm

Maybe he's watching his Buffett indicator in his spare time. :oops:

Practice what you preach.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

User avatar
HanSolo
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by HanSolo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
If I were in his situation, I might have done a little buying already, while still waiting to pounce on the shares that some of you may wind up selling at a deep discount. And I probably wouldn't go on TV telling you all that.

Well, that's just me... nothing to do with Warren.

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
Not "nothing" I posted the Youtube link to his video on the 24th of March.
I searched your posts and only see a Warren Buffett cartoon “wash your hands” PSA posted Mar. 27th. Can you point me to the 24th post you’re referring to? Thank you.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9339
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by JoMoney » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am
JoMoney wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
Not "nothing" I posted the Youtube link to his video on the 24th of March.
I searched your posts and only see a Warren Buffett cartoon “wash your hands” PSA posted Mar. 27th. Can you point me to the 24th post you’re referring to? Thank you.
That's the one.. my post was on the 27th. The Buffett clip on youtube was posted the 24th.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 am

JoMoney wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am
JoMoney wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm
A few more days have passed and still nothing but crickets from Omaha. <shrugging>
Not "nothing" I posted the Youtube link to his video on the 24th of March.
I searched your posts and only see a Warren Buffett cartoon “wash your hands” PSA posted Mar. 27th. Can you point me to the 24th post you’re referring to? Thank you.
That's the one.. my post was on the 27th. The Buffett clip on youtube was posted the 24th.
I’m wondering where he comments on current market conditions, as he usually does during crises.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9339
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by JoMoney » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:16 am

Well, we're only a month away from the BRK Annual Meeting, that will still be live-streamed on Yahoo! even though attendance will be restricted. Buffett suggested that if you have questions try submitting them to some of the journalists listed in the 2019 annual report that are likely to be there.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
Leesbro63
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Where's Warren Buffett During This Crisis?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:21 am

JoMoney wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:16 am
Well, we're only a month away from the BRK Annual Meeting, that will still be live-streamed on Yahoo! even though attendance will be restricted. Buffett suggested that if you have questions try submitting them to some of the journalists listed in the 2019 annual report that are likely to be there.
+1. I guess he’ll turn up then, if not before.

Post Reply