Anybody else hoping for stocks to plummet?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
termsandconditions

Anybody else hoping for stocks to plummet?

Post by termsandconditions »

This recent correction has finally brought asset prices back down to earth. As a young investor, this could be a once in a lifetime buying opportunity. The current situation is dark, but the silver lining is that assets will be really cheap if this turns into a depression. I bought stocks (VTI, VWO) today, and here's to hoping that stocks drop another 30% from here :sharebeer .
Watty

Re: Anybody else hoping for stocks to plummet?

Post by Watty »

Be careful what you ask for.

The big problem is that if things get too bad then you could be out of a job even if your job seems secure.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Assets are still high, honestly. Don't think just because they're going down that they're low.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Young investors don't mind the decline. I have been waiting for this for some time but you have to remember that many people are hurting so we need to be sensitive to that and use what they may be experiencing now as a reminder that when find and stick to our proper allocation. Even then it will not be easy to deal with this type of experience when we are near or in retirement.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am Assets are still high, honestly. Don't think just because they're going down that they're low.
Right.

If earnings are down -25%, we're at the same PE.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
rascott

Post by rascott »

A decline would be fine..... but a depression? Be careful what you wish for. You may find yourself in the bread line.
rascott

Post by rascott »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:37 am
firebirdparts wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am Assets are still high, honestly. Don't think just because they're going down that they're low.
Right.

If earnings are down -25%, we're at the same PE.
There's a decent argument to be made that stocks are more expensive now than they were a few months ago.

Nobody has a clue the impact this will have on profits. How many bankruptcies there will be. It's all a total blind guess.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Watty wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:31 am Be careful what you ask for.

The big problem is that if things get too bad then you could be out of a job even if your job seems secure.
+1000

A market decline is more than just numbers on a spreadsheet. Real lives are impacted with wage cuts, unemployment and possibly even homelessness. Let's not wish that on anyone just for the sake of our portfolios.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'm sure there is somebody else out there that hopes stocks will plummet. I'm not one of them.
Plummeting stocks are usually an indication that something is really wrong, or that enough people think that something is really wrong. Honestly I'd like to see them settle down a bit.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
J295

Post by J295 »

termsandconditions wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 am This recent correction has finally brought asset prices back down to earth. As a young investor, this could be a once in a lifetime buying opportunity. The current situation is dark, but the silver lining is that assets will be really cheap if this turns into a depression. I bought stocks (VTI, VWO) today, and here's to hoping that stocks drop another 30% from here :sharebeer .
1. Selfish. Even if you think this for your own purposes, no reason to post it here or anywhere else. This completely ignores the pain this economic and health disruption will be causing to millions of people.

2. Having been experiencing the market for 40 years, this is not a once-in-a-lifetime experience
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

J295 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 am
termsandconditions wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 am This recent correction has finally brought asset prices back down to earth. As a young investor, this could be a once in a lifetime buying opportunity. The current situation is dark, but the silver lining is that assets will be really cheap if this turns into a depression. I bought stocks (VTI, VWO) today, and here's to hoping that stocks drop another 30% from here :sharebeer .
1. Selfish. Even if you think this for your own purposes, no reason to post it here or anywhere else. This completely ignores the pain this economic and health disruption will be causing to millions of people.

2. Having been experiencing the market for 40 years, this is not a once-in-a-lifetime experience
+100
Topic Author
termsandconditions

I certainly haven't experienced a buying opportunity like this before. I have a safe job that isn't going anywhere even if this gets worse

It's funny to see people moralizing now about how I should feel. It sucks for people who aren't prepared, but isn't this forum about investing intelligently and taking advantage of opportunities? I have read hundreds of times on this forum to buy when there's panic in the air. Now, there's talk about 20% unemployment and everyone expects stocks to tank. I sense the beginnings of panic.
Ged

Post by Ged »

That is a moral position equivalent to a war profiteer's.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

No, I am not hoping for stocks to plummet and inflame civil unrest.

But I'm continuing to buy.
langlands

Post by langlands »

termsandconditions wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am I certainly haven't experienced a buying opportunity like this before. I have a safe job that isn't going anywhere even if this gets worse

It's funny to see people moralizing now about how I should feel. It sucks for people who aren't prepared, but isn't this forum about investing intelligently and taking advantage of opportunities? I have read hundreds of times on this forum to buy when there's panic in the air. Now, there's talk about 20% unemployment and everyone expects stocks to tank. I sense the beginnings of panic.
You're not going to find a receptive audience because members here overwhelmingly have portfolios with delta between 0.5 and 1 to the stock market. You can go check out https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/ (or maybe you came from there?)
AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 »

Ya, dude, let's hope the US economy collapses so we can capitalize while those who aren't as fortunate have to pick up the pieces and figure out how to get by. No way us "Bogleheads" would be impacted, right?
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1 on being careful what you wish for.

Lower stock prices due to a significant correction are often accompanied by job loss, mortgage defaults, business closings/bankruptcies, stress over the state of the economy, etc. Unemployment claims have increased 10x in my state in the last 5 days.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Stock plummet great. Losing job because economy crashes, not so great.
Topic Author
termsandconditions

langlands wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:10 am
termsandconditions wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am I certainly haven't experienced a buying opportunity like this before. I have a safe job that isn't going anywhere even if this gets worse

You're not going to find a receptive audience because members here overwhelmingly have portfolios with delta between 0.5 and 1 to the stock market. You can go check out https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/ (or maybe you came from there?)
I've heard of wallstreetbets and they seem like speculators on short term calls and puts. I am more of a long term buy and hold investor, though I would probably be categorized as a market timer by choosing to put my money in when the market drops.

I didn't realize the audience in Bogleheads would be so hostile, but makes sense considering how long most people are to market exposure. I was hoping to find some like minded buy and hold value investors.

Down a little today but still 80% in my checking account. I have 60 day buy orders for VTI at $110, $95, and $70. VWO at $32 was filled today. More limit buy orders at $27 and $20. Boeing and Airbus are specific stock picks because I feel these will get bailed out with government money. I have buy orders of Boeing at $45 and Airbus at $5
Last edited by termsandconditions on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
KESP

Post by KESP »

Not really. I planned on retiring July 2021. I realize a lot can happen in a year, but I’m rethinking that now. Obviously, not just because I’m watching my low cost well-diversified accounts plummet, but I’m feeling uneasy about the economy as a whole. The good news is I’m staying the course and am comfortable with that decision. Time will tell if it’s the right one or not.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
The discussion was of low value and, hence, started to troll. Several posts needed to be removed.