Funny- the difference of 30 days

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Twiggsapproved

Funny- the difference of 30 days

Post by Twiggsapproved »

30 days ago I read a lot of posts of “why not all equities”?.

Now the sky is falling and dozens of “non actionable” threads.

My guess is jack bogle would be telling us to “do nothing” . We should all take a deep breath, things are going to be ok. Short term problems? Sure, but life, and business, and the earnings they produce will go on.

There is hope.
grog

Re: Funny- the difference of 30 days

Post by grog »

Twiggsapproved wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:39 pm 30 days ago I read a lot of posts of “why not all equities”?.

Now the sky is falling and dozens of “non actionable” threads.

My guess is jack bogle would be telling us to “do nothing” . We should all take a deep breath, things are going to be ok. Short term problems? Sure, but life, and business, and the earnings they produce will go on.

There is hope.
Yes, indeed. Mid February, many of us were riding high on the hog.

And I would add that sentiment has changed quite a bit over the the last 30 days. February 24-28 was a rough week. But it was not clear at the time if that was it. "Ah, the market was overvalued anyway. This is a welcome correction. Great time to buy!" Even this past Thursday, Friday, and today we've seen wild oscillations in "market sentiment." Friday may go down as the greatest dead cat bounce of all time.
DonIce

Post by DonIce »

I am somewhat surprised by the reactions on these forums. So many posters that are usually all about "stay the course" seem to have gone from placid to panic in just a few days. We haven't even hit a 30% drop from the all time high of the S&P500 yet.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

DonIce wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 am I am somewhat surprised by the reactions on these forums. So many posters that are usually all about "stay the course" seem to have gone from placid to panic in just a few days. We haven't even hit a 30% drop from the all time high of the S&P500 yet.
In part we are seeing different posters active.
jdilla1107

Post by jdilla1107 »

DonIce wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 am I am somewhat surprised by the reactions on these forums. So many posters that are usually all about "stay the course" seem to have gone from placid to panic in just a few days. We haven't even hit a 30% drop from the all time high of the S&P500 yet.
It's different posters. The stay-the-course people show up every once in awhile and then go back to their lives. The chicken little types post all day long on updates to the emotional roller coaster they have put themselves on. It looks exhausting.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

jdilla1107 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:56 am
It's different posters. The stay-the-course people show up every once in awhile and then go back to their lives. The chicken little types post all day long on updates to the emotional roller coaster they have put themselves on. It looks exhausting.
Right.

There isn't much to post about if you're not doing anything different.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

In 2 days it will have been 4 weeks from my highest net worth. With today's losses, I'm probably down >30%. Slow stroll up, fast tumble down.

But it is somewhat soothing to know I'm not the only cheerleader on February 18th, & chaos observer this morning.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓