Windfall investment

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Coopsdaddy

Windfall investment

Post by Coopsdaddy »

If you have 200000 setting there to invest and didnt need it for 10 years would you soon and were?Vtsax,3 fund etc What could the potential gain and loss both ways be?
jdilla1107

Re: Windfall investment

Post by jdilla1107 »

This is a big question with not a lot of detail. I would recommend to start reading the wiki here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

To answer part of your question, 10 years is a little on the short side for an aggressive equity portfolio. I would do something very balanced with bonds if I only had a 10 year duration. However, is it really only 10 years? What is happening in 10 years?
Topic Author
Coopsdaddy

Post by Coopsdaddy »

I have fully funded 401 and roth and debt free etc hut my question is if you had a extra 200000 what could it become with a simple 3 fund approach etc.Its siting in a 3.06% cd right now.Is it worth the gamble?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Depends on your target asset allocation and the duration of the CD. If the duration is long enough and you have a decent sized portfolio, you could rebalance that portion (taking into consideration tax consequences) and use that CD as part of your bond portfolio. Once the CD matures, you would have to move stuff again. Not enough info provided to make recommendations, including what your need of risk is after this windfall.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jdilla1107

Post by jdilla1107 »

I would repost your question here: (in Personal Investments)

viewforum.php?f=1

following these guidelines:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

Essentially, you need to provide a lot more information to get a recomendation.