Estimated state tax payments

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
speer

Estimated state tax payments

Post by speer »

US citizen. Became Michigan resident 1/20/2020 (from Canada).

Michigan states it follows IRS guidelines for estimated tax requirement:
90% of your current year's tax liability,
or 100% of your previous year's tax liability,
or 110% of your previous year's tax liability if your previous year's adjusted gross income is more than $150,000 ($75,000 or more for married filing separate).

Since I had no Michigan tax liability the prior year, can I pay "100% of your previous year's tax liability" of $0?

My IRS tax liability last year was ~$200 which is what I am doing likewise for the IRS.
samsoes

Re: Estimated state tax payments

Post by samsoes »

speer wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 am US citizen. Became Michigan resident 1/20/2020 (from Canada).

Michigan states it follows IRS guidelines for estimated tax requirement:
90% of your current year's tax liability,
or 100% of your previous year's tax liability,
or 110% of your previous year's tax liability if your previous year's adjusted gross income is more than $150,000 ($75,000 or more for married filing separate).

Since I had no Michigan tax liability the prior year, can I pay "100% of your previous year's tax liability" of $0?

My IRS tax liability last year was ~$200 which is what I am doing likewise for the IRS.
Yup. If your tax liability in the prior year was zero, there is no requirement to make estimated payments in the following year; there will be no penalty no matter how much your tax liability is.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
speer

Re: Estimated state tax payments

Post by speer »

Well thats good to know.

So since my IRS liability was $200, I pay the IRS $200 (in lump sump instalemnt) and $0 to Michigan and im good until Apr 15, 2021 when I pay the tax on what I earned during 2020?