Bitcoin is around $6k... why is nobody talking about this?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
fatFIRE

Bitcoin is around $6k... why is nobody talking about this?

Post by fatFIRE »

I truly, really thought Bitcoin would be the next gold and safe haven.

But in this crazy corona-time, Bitcoin is down back to $6000. Why? And GLD has dropped only 5%.

For context Bitcoin went to $12k earlier in 2019, and $20k during the bubble just before it popped.

I'm glad I procrastinated buying bitcoin, I own zero coins.
Last edited by fatFIRE on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramjet

Re: Bitcoin is around $6k... why is nobody talking about this?

Post by Ramjet »

When was the last time it was 6,000
HippoSir

Post by HippoSir »

I don't own any bitcoin, but even I am surprised by how dramatically it failed as a hedge against a market downturn.

I think this destroys any left over illusions anyone had about bitcoin as a store of value or a currency.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

I have ignored Bitcoin so thoroughly that I have no idea if this is record high, record low, whatever. What does $6K mean for a bitcoin "investor" (and I use that term very reluctantly....)?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I'm seeing headlines every day online. I don't click on them, but they're there.

To your point though, gold is collectible rocks. Bitcoin is already the next gold. It's already achieved that. You just don't realize it. This is all you get.
Last edited by firebirdparts on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

fatFIRE wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:36 pm I truly, really thought Bitcoin would be the next gold and safe haven.

But in this crazy corona-time, Bitcoin is down back to $6000. Why? And GLD has dropped only 5%.

I understand that there’s some other big news story out there.

Can’t remember exactly what it is ......
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

The Bitcoin cheerleaders on this forum are keeping mum.

And those who aren't fans don't care.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
bligh

Post by bligh »

The current percentage stock market movements are tame compared to how much Bitcoin varies on a slow day.
nocebo

Post by nocebo »

unless you bought puts 4 weeks ago, everything is down. wouldnt touch bitcoin or really anything right now unless youre DCA into it.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

I was surprised to see Bitcoin down too in recent days. It was supposed to be a safe haven, according to the fan-boys.

Why isn't it shooting up?
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Ramjet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm When was the last time it was 6,000
We could know this with a mouse-click, but we just don't care.
DonIce

Post by DonIce »

Dunno why this surprises anyone. If you look at past market drops since bitcoin has been around, any time there is a significant selloff in the S&P500, there's a selloff in bitcoin too. Bitcoin isn't gold, as much as its most fanatical advocates try to pretend that it is. Bitcoin is a very speculative, very risky, zero inherent return gamble. People buy it as a luxury good when they are feeling rich. Soon as the economy becomes worrisome, it's the first thing to be gotten rid off or even forgotten about on some old hard drive.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 pm
:|
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

DonIce wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm Dunno why this surprises anyone. If you look at past market drops since bitcoin has been around, any time there is a significant selloff in the S&P500, there's a selloff in bitcoin too. Bitcoin isn't gold, as much as its most fanatical advocates try to pretend that it is. Bitcoin is a very speculative, very risky, zero inherent return gamble. People buy it as a luxury good when they are feeling rich. Soon as the economy becomes worrisome, it's the first thing to be gotten rid off or even forgotten about on some old hard drive.
^^^^^ This. Really, the idea of Bitcoin as a flight-to-safety asset is entirely theoretical and largely nonsensical. It's a volatile asset, relatively new on the field, and when push comes to shove, people flee to other more traditional safe havens, leaving speculative digital coinage behind.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
Tellurius

Post by Tellurius »

firebirdparts wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 pm I'm seeing headlines every day online. I don't click on them, but they're there.

To your point though, gold is collectible rocks. Bitcoin is already the next gold. It's already achieved that. You just don't realize it. This is all you get.
There are industrial uses for gold. A lot of them. Why does everyone ignore that here?
La nuit semblait profonde. L'hiver interminable.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

Stinky wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:43 pm
I understand that there’s some other big news story out there.

Can’t remember exactly what it is ......
:D
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

This is not surprising considering how illiquid the Bitcoin market is compared to Gold. Investors generally flock to liquid safe haven assets in a crisis not illiquid ones. The reason why US Treasuries often rally in crises is because of this reason. I view it as a speculative asset currently due to this.
bligh

Post by bligh »

Tellurius wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:52 pm
firebirdparts wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 pm I'm seeing headlines every day online. I don't click on them, but they're there.

There are industrial uses for gold. A lot of them. Why does everyone ignore that here?
Also it is beautiful to look at and hold in your hand. I am not a gold bug at all, but even I have to admit that there was a certain allure to holding a few of my dad's collection of gold coins in my hand. The weight, the shine, the sound they made when they clinked together. Very satisfying. It felt valuable in the same way a piece of art feels valuable, or a finely crafted watch.

There is a reason pretty much every civilization has held it in esteem in one way or another for decorative purposes or as a store of wealth. It is the same reason precious stones, and beautiful shells or pearls have value.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Tellurius wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Because the value of gold is not driven by demand for industrial uses, or demand for jewelry. Thus, industrial use and jewelry are not drivers of value.

"The decision to buy gold is rooted in behavioral biases associated with gold’s history as a currency, a store of value and a safe haven." So gold is a safe haven because everyone thinks it's a safe haven, and has for a long time. That's not true of bitcoin--particularly the long time bit.

(Side note: Gold is a historical store of value for very interesting chemical reasons.)
Gemini1962

Post by Gemini1962 »

Not sure why a few numbers on a computer would be worth anything at all? Other than the greater fool theory of course.

I'm putting everything into tulip bulbs.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

fatFIRE wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:36 pm I truly, really thought Bitcoin would be the next gold and safe haven.

For context Bitcoin went to $12k earlier in 2019, and $20k during the bubble just before it popped.

Looks like bitcoin held up better than S&P500! That's an achievement by itself :oops:
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Gemini1962 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:18 pm Not sure why a few numbers on a computer would be worth anything at all? Other than the greater fool theory of course.

I'm putting everything into tulip bulbs.
Exactly. Bitcoin has totally arrived. This is the end game now. It is behaving exactly like gold.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Lol. It’s now 4500 a few hours after the OP.
MoneyMarathon

Post by MoneyMarathon »

Want to hear something really funny?

I protected my $300 funny money in crypto by moving it to cash in February.

I stayed the course with my stocks. :mrgreen:
Momus

Post by Momus »

I think a lot of assets go into firesale mode to cover the loss of equity. Sell stock at a loss, sell something else (gold/BTC) too to ease the pain.
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Over the last month, the S&P500 is down 27% (ignoring dividends) and BTC is down 54%. Over the same period, gold is down 1% and long treasurys are up 9% (ignoring coupon payments). Bitcoin doesn't look like the new safe haven asset to me.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Ramjet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:50 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 pm
:|
Most of us dismissed crypto out of hand. It’s being tested as a end of the world failsafe and failing miserable. Sorry. People still would rather have a tangible shiny gold rock.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
bitdocmd

Post by bitdocmd »

Bitcoin is on sale. I continue to buy according to my investment plan.

I’m hoping the price goes lower tomorrow when the market reopens. That way I can buy more for cheaper.

Just hoping I time it right for before/after market close.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

Man, who the heck was peddling the idea that Bitcoin was going to be a safe haven in the event of an equity crash? And on what data did they base their theory?

My (admittedly limited) contact with people who own Bitcoin has left me with the impression that they view it as a chance to get rich when it appreciates 50x, not as a safe haven. Obviously these people are going to punch out when it plummets the way it has. People are stockpiling toilet paper, for goodness sake. Do they really want to hold digital funny money? Dollar-denominated assets are bad enough!
merely an interested amateur
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

fatFIRE wrote: I truly, really thought Bitcoin would be the next gold and safe haven.

But in this crazy corona-time, Bitcoin is down back to $6000. Why?
No idea why but, given the evidence, you may want to rethink your seemingly firm belief that Bitcoin will be a safe haven. Perhaps it will be some day (though I am skeptical). In any case, unless and until it has a track record of behaving that way, I don’t see why I should expect that behavior.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
ulrichw

Post by ulrichw »

bitdocmd wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:30 pm [...]
Bitcoin is for sale. [...]
FTFY
Watty

Post by Watty »

.. why is nobody talking about this?
It is a zombie fad that does no know that it is dead yet.
Double Dog

Post by Double Dog »

At the current price of $4900, Bitcoin is a screaming buy based on its fundamentals.

:wink:
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

This is gold;

This is bitcoin

You've made the bigtime and you don't even know it.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

The bitcoin communities are very weird. I do browse them from time to time for laughter and they still view this as a hedge. It has the potential to be one in the future if liquidity improves significantly. I don't see anything magical about Gold that prevents Bitcoin from replacing it other than the fact that it has been around longer and it is tangible. They are both speculative assets. But currently it does not have the liquidity of Gold so anyone who is expecting stock market investors to rush to it is deluding themselves.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

What’s bitcoin?
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

AerialWombat wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:40 am What’s bitcoin?
Speculative asset that likes to be Gold but fails at it currently. Expected return if it does not go to 0 should be 0% after inflation like Gold.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

Honestly if you think this is bad wait til you see the altcoins. Don't know why anyone would put money in them. Bitcoin is already too much like gambling to me.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Anon9001 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:42 am
AerialWombat wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:40 am What’s bitcoin?
Speculative asset that likes to be Gold but fails at it currently. Expected return if it does not go to 0 should be 0% after inflation like Gold.
:wink:
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

Stocks pay dividends. And with enough shares, you control companies such as Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc.
With bitcoins, if I just buy and hold, I get neither dividends nor potential to control large companies such as Amazon.
No thanks. I will stick to stocks and bonds.

As for gold, at least gold is something physical and fun to look at. And has had thousands of years of history as a form of currency.
Even if it loses value, holding gold feels good. And I don't need to depend on electricity to hold gold.
(plus some precious metals such as silver have actual applicable usage in the modern world)

With bitcoins, if current system goes under including companies like Google, who's to guarantee electricity will still there to trade cryptocurrencies.
At least with gold, some idiot will trade it for bread/water for some temporary period.
With bitcoins... mining them requires an entire server. Holding and trading them requires internet/electricity.

No thanks here in Bogleheads.
Here in Bogleheads, we love the fiat currency. Fiat currency buys me bread on the table for now.
And as much as people say fiat currency is all fake and all, it seems protesting against it might result in getting labeled as a terrorist in the US.
Not a personal fan of competing vs a country that invests so much into the military (and not just that, almost all countries globally have ties one way or the other with the US Dollar. Don't need the world's government against me).

That said, the technology behind bitcoins might be of use in the future. :sharebeer
If bitcoins end well, congrats. If not, oh well.
I would say 'invest' in cryptocurrencies with the expectation to lose everything. That's all.
beastykato

Post by beastykato »

Pretty obvious that this would happen.

I don't agree with the bitcoin hate this forum gets. It's certainly a very risky asset and I do own some, but a very small percentage.

I actually made most of my money on it from mining and the big increase in 2017.

It's down no more than the rest of the markets are though. Seems to be in line with everything else.

If we really go into a real recession here Bitcoin will liquidate even further simply because you can't use it easily to buy goods. People will need fiat to pay their bills.

Even if you could buy goods with bitcoin easily.... Let's be honest most people have trouble using computers properly, most people don't even have a clue of how to get their coins on a wallet to spend them. Go out on the street and ask someone about a bitcoin address or a blockchain and watch 99/100 people stare in total confusion.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Why did you think so?
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
dpa789kd

Post by dpa789kd »

This is good for Bitcoin...
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

watchnerd wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:39 am
Why did you think so?
Both are speculative assets. The only thing differeinating them is one been around for long periods of time and the other is a baby at 10 years. Also I can look at the shiny gold rock in my hands and awe at it whereas with Bitcoin I can't do it. I would not say any significant value should be given to Gold because of that though. The issue with Bitcoins is that it is completely illiquid compared to Gold. if I was a investor with 100 million dollars I could buy tons of Gold via ETF's and Funds and sell it back later for cash easily but I can't do the same with Bitcoin. This is what is preventing it from replacing Gold.
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

deleted
Last edited by grayfox on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bitdocmd

Post by bitdocmd »

Watty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:43 pm
.. why is nobody talking about this?
It is a zombie fad that does no know that it is dead yet.
I would say the same for central banks.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Dropping like a rock at some point, and disappearing like a fad that only a small group of people ever really cared about is I think the expectation of many. It's certainly mine. It doesn't feel news-worthy to me when it falls, only when it rises ("who the heck is buying this stuff?").
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Will be on Ebay with the beanie babies soon enough so it is going much lower than 6K. Why are the bitcoin fans not talking about it? Generally people tell you about their smart gambles, not the ones they lose. You hear about bitcoin when it is going well, crickets when it isn't.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

The best thing to come out of this is people who put money in this slot machine can tolerate stock market volatilty much better than people who don't. It certainly made me care less about the stock market falls. Who knows how it ends up in the end. If it goes to zero I will have to kiss that 1% goodbye.
DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE »

Is there any reason for an average consumer to own bitcoins to conduct commerce or is purely for speculators/investors ? In other words are there any legitimate merchants (amazon,ebay etc) that would accept bitcoins for transactions and perhaps even give you a discount?