Who here is buying stocks today and how much?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bearcub

Re: Who here is buying stocks today and how much?

Post by bearcub »

Watchnerd= I have some faith in their new CEO. Also I am hoping that they change their structure, new healthier products. Ahh, just intuition. Did not really invest much in it. Time will tell. I think they scaled back part of their dividend awhile ago.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Six shares, Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY)
Hey, the money was just sitting there and Vanguard doesn't charge for it.
BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 »

Waiting until Friday / next check

So tempted to yesterday - but keeping my emergency fund @ 6 months for time being
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack »

I'm planning to "over-balance" to 65/45 (from about 60/40 today) -- probably later this week, unless stocks go back up (which doesn't seem likely but we'll see).
MnD

Post by MnD »

Rebalancing bands were clearly exceeded yesterday for the first time in this decline.
Given a noon eastern cutoff I just entered an order to restore a 70/30 AA at approx. global market cap on equity.
It required about a 5% move from fixed income to US and ex-US equity.
Interestingly I will now _not_ be a net seller of any equity in 2020 (will be a net buyer in fact) due to this rebalancing, despite proportional to AA withdrawals for retirement income. The "spend from cash buckets" folks don't seem to grasp this.

The first rebalancing in a bear market is easy IMO. The 2nd one is a little tougher if I recall from 2009.
Best wishes to all those with the capacity and temperament to be buying when the herd is selling. :beer

Took care of tax loss harvesting a few days ago during the last dump so with the above action I now have zero left to "do" financially.
That's a good feeling.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

bearcub wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 am Watchnerd= I have some faith in their new CEO. Also I am hoping that they change their structure, new healthier products. Ahh, just intuition. Did not really invest much in it. Time will tell. I think they scaled back part of their dividend awhile ago.
Are they cash-flow positive?

I took a quick glance at their financials on Wikipedia and it wasn't so clear.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
asif408

Post by asif408 »

I bought some Brazil the other day, their stock market is down over 50% from it's high in early January. I'm watching energy stocks as well, they've been getting crushed (down over 50% from their peak), so I may be adding to my position soon. Other than that, not doing much because I'm 100% equities, and since pretty much all equities are falling right now, I'm just rebalancing among my equities and buying the ones that have fallen the most.

I will say, though, it's a great time to be an investor. :moneybag I don't understand why their is so much angst among the long-term investors here.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I exchanged some Total Bond Market for some Total Stock Market for our portfolio, and bought some Total Stock Market for BIL's accounts.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

deleted
Last edited by grayfox on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hagridshut

Post by hagridshut »

My bond fund allocation went from 33% to 38%, which triggered my 5% re-balancing band.

I exchanged 5% of my portfolio from bonds to stocks over lunch.
First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

bought VTI for $120.49 yesterday, 200 shares for taxable account
Bought VTI for $114.86 today, 2k total for IRA

My 403B and other retirement accounts have not been rebalanced or sold ..leaving it alone as it is cause I am able to live off my pension.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

Shifting another few percent from bonds to stocks today. :beer
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
NotTooDeepLearning

Post by NotTooDeepLearning »

I switched future contributions in my 401k to be 100% S&P 500. Was 70/30 before.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Another 25K Roth Conversion for my wife and myself at market close today.
Broken Man 1999

Another day, another exchange from Total Bond Market to Total Stock Market. How much? Enough, for today. :D

Three reasons I am happy:
1. Got rid of more Total Bond Market.
2. Added more Total Stock Market.
3. No activity needed for treasury holdings.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
papito23

Post by papito23 »

Mild market timing, I guess, I'm nibbling with purchases at each new lower bound that US and international markets reach. 529 account and Roth IRA. I suppose if that lower bound stagnates for a week or more I'll nibble some more. Cash on hand and stable employment. (Cash I was holding for a car or land purchase that is slowly melting into the portfolio portion of my mental Excel sheet ;).
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
Dvorak212

Post by Dvorak212 »

Bought more VTI in Roth today. I've been averaging in and today felt like another good enough drop since last purchase price.
theorist

Post by theorist »

Bought a little bit of international index and a bit more total market, S&P 500, and small cap value. The SCV is really getting beaten up, but I figure there will be a big rebound in the future, and I’ll just stock up on the way down.
NotYourAverageJones

Post by NotYourAverageJones »

We pulled the trigger a bit early last week so decided to double down again this week...We probably will be doing the same next week...and the week after that if this turd tornado doesn't slow down....

Today we were lucky to grab 750 of VTI at $115 and 250 of VOO at $210...That is it for today... :beer
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

deleted
pennsylvania211

Post by pennsylvania211 »

Early in career here.

Bought 10k with S&P 500 at 2900s.
Bought 10k at 2700s.
Bought 10k at 2500s.
Bought 10k at 2300s.

:sharebeer

However that being said, I'm fully aware that time in the market beats time to market. Just like green vegetables being good for you. Getting myself to do it however is difficult!
"In the long run, investing is not about markets at all. Investing is about enjoying the returns earned by businesses." - Jack Bogle
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

Re balanced another 30k yesterday into VTSAX from Tax Exempt Money Market in Taxable at S&P down 5.18%.

Till now &180k has gone into VTSAX in Taxable Account, $60k new money + $120k re balanced from Bonds.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
Broken Man 1999

pennsylvania211 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:30 am Early in career here.

Bought 10k with S&P 500 at 2900s.
Bought 10k at 2700s.
Bought 10k at 2500s.
Bought 10k at 2300s.

:sharebeer

However that being said, I'm fully aware that time in the market beats time to market. Just like green vegetables being good for you. Getting myself to do it however is difficult!
Green vegetables are good for you. Even better is buying green vegetables on sale. If you are needing to buy stock, a sale isn't bad. Though, the next day, the next week, the next month.... might see a bigger sale. I've been doing a bit of market timing rebalancing over the last few days. Whether I am buying stocks on sale can only be known sometime later. Hope so. But, hope isn't a strategy. Rebalancing is touted as a strategy, though.

Broken Man 1999
pennsylvania211

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:04 am Green vegetables are good for you. Even better is buying green vegetables on sale. If you are needing to buy stock, a sale isn't bad. Though, the next day, the next week, the next month.... might see a bigger sale. I've been doing a bit of market timing rebalancing over the last few days. Whether I am buying stocks on sale can only be known sometime later. Hope so. But, hope isn't a strategy. Rebalancing is touted as a strategy, though.

Broken Man 1999
You're a wise man Broken Man 1999.

How do you fight the temptation to buy even more equities (more than rebalancing) during a downturn and stay the course?

My plan was to have 70/30 in stocks/bonds, rebalance when necessary. But during each of the declines above, I got tempted and went a step further than rebalancing alone - to 75/25 (when S&P @ 2900s), 80/20 (@2700s), 85/15 (@2500s), and now 90/10 (@2300s). Part of me is still praying for more downturn so I can go 95/5 (@2100s) and 100/0 (1900s). It may be a sort of strategy but it's likely not a healthy behavior in the long term.
"In the long run, investing is not about markets at all. Investing is about enjoying the returns earned by businesses." - Jack Bogle
LifeForm

Post by LifeForm »

Yesterday (Wed 3/18) I did my sixth incremental rebalancing exchange from bonds to stocks (~1% of portfolio) in my Vanguard IRAs and my 401-K, bringing my stock allocation back to 48% (same as in Jan. 2020). If I'd done nothing, I'd be down to ~40% stocks. Yesterday afternoon, the S&P500 hit my threshold of 30% down from peak. I submitted my trades at ~3:30pm, just before a late rally pushed the S&P500 back up above the 30% mark. Given the volatility, it was close enough at 29.47% down.

To recap, I'm in my second year of retirement and planning to preserve enough assets in bonds & cash to live ~10 years. I aim to cautiously rebalance (NOT over-rebalance) during the downturn, just enough to maintain my pre-correction stock allocation of 48%, without trying to predict how far the market might fall. My rebalancing so far involved exchanging 1% of my pre-correction portfolio value after each 5% drop in the S&P500. With a 30% stock decline, I've moved 6% of my original asset value:

% S&P
Drop | Cumulative Stock Buy (% pre-correction assets)
5 | 1 - Done
10 | 2 - Done
15 | 3 - Done
20 | 4 - Done
25 | 5 - Done
30 | 6 - Done
40 | 8 [maximum 1% buy per week]
50 | 10 [maximum 1% buy per week]
60 | 12 [maximum 1% buy per week]
>60| No more stock purchases

My stock purchases so far represent 50% of the value of the stock funds I sold in late 2019, when I reassessed my risk tolerance and reduced my stock allocation from 60% to 48%. Going forward, I'll rebalance only after the S&P500 stays below any subsequent 10% decline for a full week. Also, I'll limit my stock purchases to 1% of pre-correction portfolio value per week, so the final adjustments (if the S&P500 is down 60%) would take at least 6 more weeks. To preserve my bonds and cash, I'll stop rebalancing if the S&P500 falls more than 60%. For the long term, if/when my stock allocation climbs to 55%, I'll rebalance by moving stock funds back into bonds, per my 3/15 post (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=306453&start=150#p5097900). I do NOT plan to buy more stock fund shares during the eventual market recovery.

If/when the market fully recovers, my incremental rebalancing may yield a modest increase in portfolio value (possibly 2% to 5%), compared with doing nothing.

Now I'll just watch the market and leave my investments alone until Wed 3/25 or later.

Good luck to all of you.
Broken Man 1999

pennsylvania211 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:19 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:04 am Green vegetables are good for you. Even better is buying green vegetables on sale. If you are needing to buy stock, a sale isn't bad. Though, the next day, the next week, the next month.... might see a bigger sale. I've been doing a bit of market timing rebalancing over the last few days. Whether I am buying stocks on sale can only be known sometime later. Hope so. But, hope isn't a strategy. Rebalancing is touted as a strategy, though.

Broken Man 1999
You're a wise man Broken Man 1999.

How do you fight the temptation to buy even more equities (more than rebalancing) during a downturn and stay the course?

My plan was to have 70/30 in stocks/bonds, rebalance when necessary. But during each of the declines above, I got tempted and went a step further than rebalancing alone - to 75/25 (when S&P @ 2900s), 80/20 (@2700s), 85/15 (@2500s), and now 90/10 (@2300s). Part of me is still praying for more downturn so I can go 95/5 (@2100s) and 100/0 (1900s). It may be a sort of strategy but it's likely not a healthy behavior in the long term.
Wise, no. Lucky, for sure.

If one is retired as DW and I are, we know our personal capital is no more, and what we have is what we have. I don't mind buying some equities to stay close to our AA of 50/50, but I'm not interested in a lot more risk. So, I'm just keeping the AA from getting too far out of whack.

Not sure the market pays any attention to praying, though, I'm sure a lot of folks have been doing some praying the last few weeks. :(

In the GFC we weren't living on our portfolio, so this decline has been educational for us. I believe our AA is exactly right, and I also think being heavier in treasury obligations made all the difference for us being able to SWAN (sleep well at night).

Of course we really have no idea how long and how deep this current decline will be, but at least for now everything is good for us.

Good luck to you!

Broken Man 1999
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

deleted
bitdocmd

Post by bitdocmd »

grayfox wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am It looks like the market took breather yesterday. I did not buy any stocks.

S&P 500 (^GSPC) was up a tiny +0.47% to 2409.39. Has it hit bottom?
CBOE Volatility Index (^VIX) is still quite high at 68, but has come down from 80. Expect slightly less volatility?
S&P 500 Futures shows +1.07% to 2413.

Will it be two up days in a row? Maybe soon we can crawl out from the rubble.

YTD = -10.79%. I actually got killed on Muni bonds yesterday.
AA is down to 26.3% stocks. I may rebalance into stocks today to get back to 30%.
Rounds spent: 110/350 Remaining rounds: 240/350
I am one of those who strongly believe we are not anywhere near a bottom. The virus is JUST GETTING STARTED.

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy to hunt for a bottom now?

Yes I know, Bogleheads don't market time, but it's a question most honest people are asking themselves.
pennsylvania211

bitdocmd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 am
I am one of those who strongly believe we are not anywhere near a bottom. The virus is JUST GETTING STARTED.
Maybe you'd like to elaborate on that? Always interested in hearing a well reasoned argument.
lane7068

Post by lane7068 »

Likewise, been nibbling on the way down and thinking its got a lil more to go before I want to throw a large chunk at some VTI. But I have no clue. Patience Grasshopper, so I've been told.
vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 »

30/20/20 Fired my last bullet today in tax deferred account, 32K today for FSKAX.
coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents »

$7,500 for VTI at 115.30.
Broken Man 1999

Exchanged Total Bond Market Index for Total Stock Market Index in our Variable Annuity. How much? Enough!

Broken Man 1999
mrwalken

Post by mrwalken »

Buying small amounts but still holding a ton of cash. It just feels really hard to predict how bad this will get. If the S&P drops to like 500, being too heavy in stocks could be very painful.
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

I would like to, but I'm waiting for my refund check to come in. I will buy 7000 when it comes in.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Bought low six figures today during rebalance, of course right after I did this, the market tanked more haha. You have to laugh :D . Felt good though, taking back some control from this market.
bitdocmd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 am ...

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy to hunt for a bottom now?

Yes I know, Bogleheads don't market time, but it's a question most honest people are asking themselves.
I don't think we are at a bottom, but that's why rebalance bands work so well, you don't guess.... you stick to your plan. Each successive round will get you more shares for the same money. Honestly.... does anyone think the market won't be back at 3400 in a few years? The near term economic numbers will certainly look super ugly, but we will get back to normal, that's a certainty. This isn't a nuclear or world war type event, this is a Pandemic, people need to take a deep breath.
Last edited by mrspock on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

I rebalanced a little bit, should be enough to get within the 5% band, from VG Total Bond fund to VG Small Cap Index, in the retirement account.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

My standard Friday purchase each and every week for my taxable account.

The tax advantage accounts the first of every month. My Roth conversions the first week of every year.

Will rebalance the tax advantaged accounts as appropriate and TLH the taxable accounts as available.
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

deleted
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Bought SOXX Semiconductor and VGT Technology, last few weeks, price dropped even further this week...
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

I am just updating my earlier post, as I bought again yesterday (3/20/20)
Rajsx wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:03 pm All my buys & Re balancing into Total Stock Index Fund till now - Asset Allocation at present around 52/48 .
I do not plan to sell Stock Funds in this bear market.

3/5 - $30 k - New money into FSKAX - Fidelity Total Stock Index, S&P was down 3.4%

3/9 - $30 k - Re balanced into VTSAX from VBTLX (Total Bond)- Roth Conversion, S&P down 7%

3/11 - $32 k - Re balanced into VTSAX from VWIUX (Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax Exempt), S&P down 4.89%

3/12 - $30 k - New Money into VTSAX , S&P down 9.5%

3/16 - $32k - Re balanced into VTSAX from VWIUX, S&P down 11.98%

3/20 - $28 k - Re balanced into VTSAX from VWIUX, S&P down 4.34%

Enough Bonds + Cash to last us 10+ yrs, hopefully by then the Market would be back.

Good Luck everybody
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
Stewpac14

Post by Stewpac14 »

30 years old and have about 10k more to invest. Already maxed Roth and have a good chunk in VTSAX. I will put $2,000 in each week while the price is low then just sit back the next 10 years and most likely gain a profit.
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

deleted
Last edited by grayfox on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Bought 65k last week (rebalance).
Bought 12k earlier in March (usual biweekly buying rules).
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

I will be buying at the open. It's unbelievable to me that we can purchase equities at these prices. So happy! Sometimes I feel like I am the only investor that sees beyond today and all the Virus problems. What I see is new highs in the not so distant future. We are a strong and resilient people and we will get through this sooner rather than later.

:moneybag
Stay invested my friends.
coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents »

Here's what I did with $50,000. This was in Ally Savings for a 2nd home investment property at some point in the future. Decided to put it to work instead:

5K VTI at $132.00
10K VTI at $125.09
7.5K VTI at 119.22
7.5K VTI at 115.30
5K VTI at 110.30

10K VXUS at 39.20

5K limit order for VTI at $104.00. We'll see on this one.

Anyone have a crystal ball? How many years for me to make some money off this. My guess is 3 years.
Broken Man 1999

I exchanged some more Total Bond Index for Total Stock Market Index.

Broken Man 1999
vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 »

got 30K into FXAIX today and my bad habit came back so I bought: 2K-BA, 2K-JPM, 2K-XOM, 2K-LOW. :oops:
Last edited by vipertom1970 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staustin

Post by staustin »

for the first time ever, i'm buying a few individual stocks here and there.
theorist

Post by theorist »

My 401k contribution went in (all target date 2035), and I also added some Berkshire shares and a little to my T Rowe Price global stock fund. (One of my few active funds.)

I’m a bit worried that I’m putting in the extra discretionary $ I earn a bit too early, and saving them up for S&P at 1700 would be smarter. But I’m not sure we will get there, and I figure 34% down is cheap enough to be contributing discretionary income for extra shares.