Who here is buying stocks today and how much?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
razorbacker

Re: Who here is buying stocks today and how much?

Post by razorbacker » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:20 pm

I nibbled in a little today, 30K from bonds to Fidelity S&P 500 fund in 403b account. That brings me to my target AA 60/40 but I'll probably move a little more into equities if there is another 10% drop. It's hard to set on the sidelines when equities are so cheap.
Last edited by razorbacker on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:21 pm

LFKB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:51 pm
I'll be buying at the close today. There very well may be more pain from here but this seems like a decent spot to get in.
Put an order in to exchange 25k of ca money market into TSM. I don’t think I got it in in time, so will probably execute tomorrow.

scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:37 pm

I generally put money in at the end of the month, so will probably wait a couple of weeks to see if the market crashes more. At this point I'm just going to put my normal amount in, but not pay extra on my mortgage and put that in too. If S&P gets close to 2000 at some point I'll start moving my extra emergency funds/cash, and switch all my bonds over to total stock market as well (currently 90/10). With this said both my wife and I have secure jobs that won't disappear with the corona virus.
Last edited by scorcher31 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herennow

Post by herennow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:37 pm

I had dry powder to deploy from a previous tlh from a few days ago. Additionally I tlh’ed some vgt to xlk. this is my first year tlh’ing.

drk

Post by drk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:42 pm

All I bought today were replacement funds for TLH transactions. I just now hit my 5% rebalancing band, so hopefully tomorrow doesn’t end green.

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 pm

Don’t underestimate the panic. 80% are asymptomatic - but 20% might get seriously ill. Almost as contagious as the flu. It’s not spread widely yet - so the comparison numbers are misleading.

spidercharm01

Post by spidercharm01 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:54 pm

m@ver1ck wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 pm
Don’t underestimate the panic. 80% are asymptomatic - but 20% might get seriously ill. Almost as contagious as the flu. It’s not spread widely yet - so the comparison numbers are misleading.
COVID started late 2019. It's been around 4+ months (as long as flu season). All I am saying is that numbers do tell a story.

Even if it reaches 20x the number, it still not going be close to flu.

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:07 pm

What makes you think it won’t be 2000x?

manuvns

Post by manuvns » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:11 pm

got some XLE/VDE and XOP .

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:15 am

Noobvestor wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:07 pm
Just put in an order. Shifted around 3% of my portfolio from fixed income to stocks, per my IPS. Maybe it goes down from here, or up. :beer
For me to rebalance from bonds to stocks, I'd need to move $103k. Is this basically rational during market turbulence?

In your case, did you know the price of your new shares before purchasing? Is rebalancing during market turbulence part of the BH philosophy?
Retired, pension, no SS | Bond funds: TIPS, TBM | Global stocks: total market, large value, small company, emerging market funds

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 am

pascalwager wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:15 am
Noobvestor wrote:
Just put in an order. Shifted around 3% of my portfolio from fixed income to stocks, per my IPS. Maybe it goes down from here, or up. :beer
For me to rebalance from bonds to stocks, I'd need to move $103k. Is this basically rational during market turbulence?

In your case, did you know the price of your new shares before purchasing? Is rebalancing during market turbulence part of the BH philosophy?
I am also moving around fairly large amounts of money. And yes, this is absolutely rational in my opinion. If anything, down markets and volatile markets are a good test of how comfortable you feel with your AA. Yes, it hurts to lose a lot, but I find buying at lower prices helps. I have had months where the market has swung more than my annual salary, and on some level that's scary, but ... it also means I have a lot of money, so ...

I do a rounded estimate based on a close-to-end-of-day price. So today, for instance, I looked at the rough prices, saw my stock funds were down between 7.5% and 10% roughly, then I plugged those into a spreadsheet that does a bit of the math for me and went with rounded amounts.

To me it's less about hitting it exactly - any given day of volatility is going to put you a less-than-one-percent amount off anyway. It's more about just making sure you stay in your target range, and for me at least: cultivating the 'stocks are cheaper, now is better' attitude about rebalancing.

The key in any case is to have a plan. If your plan says you won't rebalance in down markets, well, I don't think that's ideal, and it makes me think you might need a more conservative allocation. But the thing you don't want to do is be in a situation where you're deciding on the fly. You should be prepared now and always for a 50% stock drop. For me, having 40% in ultra-safe bonds makes that a lot easier to withstand.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

james22

Post by james22 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:24 am

Nibbled at SV and EM yesterday.

MTF

Post by MTF » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:29 am

BogleInvestorLondon wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Got familys money in index funds, roughly 300k. Got 400k cash and been waiting for a crash for the past year. Lost quite a bit this past week but only on paper. I want a bloodbath!! Bigger the drop the better. Got a 10+ year time horizon. Crash baby crash. Only trouble is trying to time all this. I think maybe averaging by putting 100k to work every few months. Could just lump sum it. Ironically I was going to do it a few days ago. A friend who is fairly smart kept telling me he strongly believes the market would drop more. I never listened to this since it was always been ingrained into me that nobody knows where the market is going. Then I pointed out that the info on cornonavirus might already be priced in...when to be honest, I don't believe that and I do not believe markets are efficient. People are human, get greedy and panic. Anyway, this is the one and only time i listened and did not invest. I got lucky so far. The only question is when to put the cash to work. I am loving the drop. Maybe I will just average in and forget it. I got some an 80/20 lifestrategy fund and also invest in VWRL which is the all world 100% stocks.
You mention that you’ve been sitting on this $400k waiting for a crash for a year, and that ironically you almost invested it as a lump sum a couple of days ago only to be dissuaded by a friend who thought the market would drop further. It may well do, but you were revelling in the bloodbath, loving the drop and about to go all in. The only thing which is ironic is that US stocks are worth today almost exactly what they were a year ago. So really you’ve just been waiting a year on the sidelines with almost half a million and you’re now excited about the fact that you can buy shares at the same price you could have done at the outset. “Crash baby crash”.

grettman

Post by grettman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 am

MTF wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:29 am
BogleInvestorLondon wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Got familys money in index funds, roughly 300k. Got 400k cash and been waiting for a crash for the past year. Lost quite a bit this past week but only on paper. I want a bloodbath!! Bigger the drop the better. Got a 10+ year time horizon. Crash baby crash. Only trouble is trying to time all this. I think maybe averaging by putting 100k to work every few months. Could just lump sum it. Ironically I was going to do it a few days ago. A friend who is fairly smart kept telling me he strongly believes the market would drop more. I never listened to this since it was always been ingrained into me that nobody knows where the market is going. Then I pointed out that the info on cornonavirus might already be priced in...when to be honest, I don't believe that and I do not believe markets are efficient. People are human, get greedy and panic. Anyway, this is the one and only time i listened and did not invest. I got lucky so far. The only question is when to put the cash to work. I am loving the drop. Maybe I will just average in and forget it. I got some an 80/20 lifestrategy fund and also invest in VWRL which is the all world 100% stocks.
You mention that you’ve been sitting on this $400k waiting for a crash for a year, and that ironically you almost invested it as a lump sum a couple of days ago only to be dissuaded by a friend who thought the market would drop further. It may well do, but you were revelling in the bloodbath, loving the drop and about to go all in. The only thing which is ironic is that US stocks are worth today almost exactly what they were a year ago. So really you’ve just been waiting a year on the sidelines with almost half a million and you’re now excited about the fact that you can buy shares at the same price you could have done at the outset. “Crash baby crash”.
+1. One who sits on the sidelines waiting for a drop to jump in should at least wait for a reasonable discount. The discount should be based on the price of an investment at the time they decided to sit out to begin with. I’d say wait for a 20% discount! ... to just break even would be silly unless of course the market timer recognizes their poor decision and just gives up waiting. Otherwise, the market timer should just hold out until a deep enough discount emerges to make their gamble worthwhile...

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:19 am

30-year Treasury yield-to-maturity YTM is 0.99%.
SPY dividend yield is 1.90%, +100 bps higher.
Stocks are now yielding more than nominal Treasury bonds.

Stock valuations have come down. Shiller PE Ratio is at 26.08. It was 31.23 at the end of 2019. If you take expected real return = earnings yield = 1/26.08 = 3.8% real return. Compare to 30-year TIPS at -0.20% real YTM.
That is 4% equity risk premium.

To me, it makes sense to sell bonds to buy stocks. Which is what I did yesterday. But I did not go all in. I'm keeping dry powder (bonds) if further opportunities arise.

At 8AM Tuesday 10th, S&P Futures are showing +4.14. So that was an opportunity yesterday.
Last edited by grayfox on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sic transit gloria mundi. [STGM]

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 am

I have been buying stocks without issue on our regular schedule. I simply by what is under our target asset allocation.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:22 am

FoolStreet wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:21 pm
LFKB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:51 pm
I'll be buying at the close today. There very well may be more pain from here but this seems like a decent spot to get in.
Put an order in to exchange 25k of ca money market into TSM. I don’t think I got it in in time, so will probably execute tomorrow.
You may be smiling in the future!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:31 am

As a 72 year old retiree with an ample bond allocation to draw from my expected lifetime (or longer) , leaving my lovely bride an ample collection of equities to use as needed....... my rebalancing is and will remain asymmetrical. Balance band +5 triggers a rebalance to bonds while it would probably take about a -15% change the other way, which would equate to roughly a 35% drop in equities.

Other than a massive drop I'm just not interested, although if I was still accumulating it might be different.

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:10 am

I'm also a 72 year old retiree, but with no equity holdings.
I always think about buying, but never do and probably never will.
If the DOW drops below 2008 levels, I'll think harder and maybe buy some VTI. Maybe I can make my losses back from then.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 am

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 am
I have been buying stocks without issue on our regular schedule. I simply by what is under our target asset allocation.
I am actually off my target allocation and shopping (no rush) for more in "fixed". IE: CD's, Muni's, Bonds, etc.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 am
abuss368 wrote:
I am actually off my target allocation and shopping (no rush) for more in "fixed". IE: CD's, Muni's, Bonds, etc.

Awesome! REITs have been outperforming the markets - both US and International!

Believe investors are looking for yield.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 am

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 am
Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

Maybe I should buy more REIT's then. . . .

. . . shopping is fun. . . . .

papito23

Post by papito23 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 am

I wait until Feb-Apr of each year to make Traditional or Roth IRA contributions. Depending on how the year went, one can be more advantageous than the other. I prefer Roth, but the ability to lower MAGI with Trad is a helpful tool.

I generally don't max out contributions each year, but given the drops I put several orders in yesterday and (luckily?) caught the big 7% plunge. I re-balance my portfolio by contributing to funds X, Y, or Z.

I realize now that I'm really just buying at March 2019 prices, so did I really come out ahead by waiting? Probably not, but that's the story I'll tell myself. :sharebeer
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 am
abuss368 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

REITs got slaughtered in 2008 ish with the financial freeze and i bought after that ... was a wonderful experience for about 6 years and then out.

BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am

papito23 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 am
I wait until Feb-Apr of each year to make Traditional or Roth IRA contributions. Depending on how the year went, one can be more advantageous than the other. I prefer Roth, but the ability to lower MAGI with Trad is a helpful tool.

I generally don't max out contributions each year, but given the drops I put several orders in yesterday and (luckily?) caught the big 7% plunge. I re-balance my portfolio by contributing to funds X, Y, or Z.

I realize now that I'm really just buying at March 2019 prices, so did I really come out ahead by waiting? Probably not, but that's the story I'll tell myself. :sharebeer
It is interesting what we tell ourselves huh?

I bought at the “all time high” in March of 2017 ... based on those headlines compared to current headlines - you’d assume now would be a better time to buy (I’m up approximately 10% despite this downturn from that all time high)

A valuable lesson I learned quickly: Time in, not timing

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:48 am

midareff wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 am
Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

REITs got slaughtered in 2008 ish with the financial freeze and i bought after that ... was a wonderful experience for about 6 years and then out.
I bought more R/E income property in the late 2008 R/E crash.
Best decision I ever made. . . . except for choosing a spouse. . . .

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 am

Buying some more of one of my funds today.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:48 am
midareff wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 am
Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:

I bought more R/E income property in the late 2008 R/E crash.
Best decision I ever made. . . . except for choosing a spouse. . . .

I have kept some powder dry in case this opportunity repeats.

hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:56 am

Facebook

midareff

Retiree News - VERY BAD NEWS

Post by midareff » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:58 am

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old

21.9%

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 am

Sitting on your dry powder for several years here due to fear of buying too high has seemed to be a quasi strategy for some people on these boards. Sitting still, waiting for the drop so they could buy low.
Has anyone back tested this assumption?
Someone on this thread said they had been sitting since 2010.
So, are you all buying now and making a killing on these new low prices?

How's that working for you. Mathematically

backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 am

In last three weeks since the decline, I've bought:

American Air
United Airlines
Quantas
Singapore Airlines
General Electric
Nitendo
Carnival Corp
Royal Caribbean
Norwegian Cruise
EBAY
WestRock
Delta
Starbucks
Visa
Walmart
Waste Management
Target
Tellurian
Mylan
Spirit
Hawaiian Airlines
Cardlytics
Hewlett Packard
Halliburton
Alaska Airlines
Occidental Petroleum
Fed Express
Devon Energy
Marathon Oil
AGEN
Catalyst Pharma
Crinetics Pharma
Amicus Therap

Most of them are in industries that are deeply discounted, but also some stocks that have been on my watchlist that previously had been too expensive. In all I've bought around $30k. So not a lot.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 am

backofbeyond wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 am

Most of them are in industries that are deeply discounted
When I look at that list, I see a lot of companies that are profit-challenged to begin with and many of whom are going to have a bad next decade, IMHO.

Did you do fundamental analysis on each of them?
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:31 am

Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

And get paid a nice dividend along the way!

backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:50 am

watchnerd wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 am
backofbeyond wrote:

Most of them are in industries that are deeply discounted
When I look at that list, I see a lot of companies that are profit-challenged to begin with and many of whom are going to have a bad next decade, IMHO.

Did you do fundamental analysis on each of them?
Indeed. These were bought with my play (speculation) money. I have my "real" money tied up in my TSP and Roth Total Stock Market ETFs.

I love to research and bottom fish. Been mildly successful. I bought PG&E, the power company that caused all the California wildfires, as they were going bankrupt. Bought a mere $200. It's gone up 237%..was up over 300% until 3 weeks ago. But on the other side, I lose money as well. I limit my loses to 30% relative to the S&P 500. Most recent loss was Uber.

Some like to play golf, some like to ski, some like to go to the strip clubs...I like to buy bottom feeders. It's a hobby.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:54 am

backofbeyond wrote:

American Air
United Airlines
Quantas
Singapore Airlines
General Electric
Nitendo
Carnival Corp
Royal Caribbean
Norwegian Cruise
EBAY
WestRock
Delta
Starbucks
Visa
Walmart
Waste Management
Target
Tellurian
Mylan
Spirit
Hawaiian Airlines
Cardlytics
Hewlett Packard
Halliburton
Alaska Airlines
Occidental Petroleum
Fed Express
Devon Energy
Marathon Oil
AGEN
Catalyst Pharma
Crinetics Pharma
Amicus Therap

Most of them are in industries that are deeply discounted, but also some stocks that have been on my watchlist that previously had been too expensive. In all I've bought around $30k. So not a lot.
30k invested in 33 stocks. What's with that? Not a lot overall. Not a lot individually. Hardly seems worth it.

backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:54 am
backofbeyond wrote:

American Air
United Airlines
Quantas
Singapore Airlines
General Electric
Nitendo
Carnival Corp
Royal Caribbean
Norwegian Cruise
EBAY
WestRock
Delta
Starbucks
Visa
Walmart
Waste Management
Target
Tellurian
Mylan
Spirit
Hawaiian Airlines
Cardlytics
Hewlett Packard
Halliburton
Alaska Airlines
Occidental Petroleum
Fed Express
Devon Energy
Marathon Oil
AGEN
Catalyst Pharma
Crinetics Pharma
Amicus Therap

30k invested in 33 stocks. What's with that? Not a lot overall. Not a lot individually. Hardly seems worth it.
Lol. Yes. I agree. But it keeps me entertained. You might say it itches the scratch I have to do something.

Some peeps like golfing, some like skiing, some like betting on football games. I like to research stocks. To me, the stock market represents what is really going on in the world...it deals with how people spend money, how governments try to get citizens to react, how industry solves both major and minor problems....and it's about fear and greed. While BHers by nature aren't interested in the "noise" of the stockmarket or as I like to call it: the dance. Me? I realize the BH way is efficient and most the time effective but is it fun? Hardly, it's actually pretty boring. So I like to think I have the best of both worlds, I get to research the dance and speculate, but I also go with what works (most of the time).

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:33 pm

backofbeyond wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
backofbeyond wrote:

American Air
United Airlines
Quantas
Singapore Airlines
General Electric
Nitendo
Carnival Corp
Royal Caribbean
Norwegian Cruise
EBAY
WestRock
Delta
Starbucks
Visa
Walmart
Waste Management
Target
Tellurian
Mylan
Spirit
Hawaiian Airlines
Cardlytics
Hewlett Packard
Halliburton
Alaska Airlines
Occidental Petroleum
Fed Express
Devon Energy
Marathon Oil
AGEN
Catalyst Pharma
Crinetics Pharma
Amicus Therap

Lol. Yes. I agree. But it keeps me entertained. You might say it itches the scratch I have to do something.

Some peeps like golfing, some like skiing, some like betting on football games. I like to research stocks. To me, the stock market represents what is really going on in the world...it deals with how people spend money, how governments try to get citizens to react, how industry solves both major and minor problems....and it's about fear and greed. While BHers by nature aren't interested in the "noise" of the stockmarket or as I like to call it: the dance. Me? I realize the BH way is efficient and most the time effective but is it fun? Hardly, it's actually pretty boring. So I like to think I have the best of both worlds, I get to research the dance and speculate, but I also go with what works (most of the time).
I can agree on that. I have play money too. Maybe a bit too much. In a volatile market like his if you take your 30k and buy 100 shares of a higher price stock you can sell the option for Friday. NVDA, now at $252. Buy, sell option for Friday, strike price $252.50 @ $8.05. If it gets exercised, you make the .50 too. All of this X 100.
That sort of thing. But not a BH thing.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:33 pm

backofbeyond wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
backofbeyond wrote:

American Air
United Airlines
Quantas
Singapore Airlines
General Electric
Nitendo
Carnival Corp
Royal Caribbean
Norwegian Cruise
EBAY
WestRock
Delta
Starbucks
Visa
Walmart
Waste Management
Target
Tellurian
Mylan
Spirit
Hawaiian Airlines
Cardlytics
Hewlett Packard
Halliburton
Alaska Airlines
Occidental Petroleum
Fed Express
Devon Energy
Marathon Oil
AGEN
Catalyst Pharma
Crinetics Pharma
Amicus Therap

I can agree on that. I have play money too. Maybe a bit too much. In a volatile market like his if you take your 30k and buy 100 shares of a higher price stock you can sell the option for Friday. NVDA, now at $252. Buy, sell option for Friday, strike price $252.50 @ $8.05. If it gets exercised, you make the .50 too. All of this X 100.
That sort of thing. But not a BH thing.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Few shares of GUSH :beer with play $
Stocks only go up? | All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.

Waiting_for_Godot

Post by Waiting_for_Godot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:00 pm

I had the inkling to jump in late 2018, and had a bit of regret not doing so, despite knowing that I could not take the volatility on a psychological basis. I told myself before that if it dropped 20% again that I'd reconsider... I'll stick with the original plan. Complete the career pivot then reevaluate my taxable AA.

Starfox

Post by Starfox » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:22 pm

I glanced at the etfs and was surprised to see VTEB down 1% today. Feels good to have sold yesterday the mutual fund equivalent VWIUX and buy Total US Stock.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Noobvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 am
pascalwager wrote:
Noobvestor wrote:

I am also moving around fairly large amounts of money. And yes, this is absolutely rational in my opinion. If anything, down markets and volatile markets are a good test of how comfortable you feel with your AA. Yes, it hurts to lose a lot, but I find buying at lower prices helps. I have had months where the market has swung more than my annual salary, and on some level that's scary, but ... it also means I have a lot of money, so ...

I do a rounded estimate based on a close-to-end-of-day price. So today, for instance, I looked at the rough prices, saw my stock funds were down between 7.5% and 10% roughly, then I plugged those into a spreadsheet that does a bit of the math for me and went with rounded amounts.

To me it's less about hitting it exactly - any given day of volatility is going to put you a less-than-one-percent amount off anyway. It's more about just making sure you stay in your target range, and for me at least: cultivating the 'stocks are cheaper, now is better' attitude about rebalancing.

The key in any case is to have a plan. If your plan says you won't rebalance in down markets, well, I don't think that's ideal, and it makes me think you might need a more conservative allocation. But the thing you don't want to do is be in a situation where you're deciding on the fly. You should be prepared now and always for a 50% stock drop. For me, having 40% in ultra-safe bonds makes that a lot easier to withstand.

Today's upswing eliminated the issue for me--at least for now. But I don't like the idea of possibly being whipsawed for a long time requiring lots of $100k transactions.

Then there's this, from a Vanguard study paper on rebalancing. Vanguard states that rebalancing once or twice a year is adequate, and doing it more frequently can lead to lower returns. In fact they don't say "rebalancing", but rather "monitoring for possible rebalancing" (not a direct quote) based on a 5% threshold. They make no special reference to additional monitoring during market turmoil.

I think some people believe that selling bonds to buy stocks at lower prices will improve their returns, but this is true only if they accept a new, higher stocks-to-bonds ratio after the market recovers. If they continue to rebalance at the same risk ratio, then there is no performance advantage.
Retired, pension, no SS | Bond funds: TIPS, TBM | Global stocks: total market, large value, small company, emerging market funds

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:14 pm

pascalwager wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm

I think some people believe that selling bonds to buy stocks at lower prices will improve their returns, but this is true only if they accept a new, higher stocks-to-bonds ratio after the market recovers. If they continue to rebalance at the same risk ratio, then there is no performance advantage.
It sounds like you're suggesting two possible scenarios. I'll use myself as a working example:

No rebalancing:

Start State: 70/30 -> Stocks Decline: 60/40 -> Market Recovery: 70/30

vs

Rebalancing:

Start State: 70/30 -> Stocks Decline: 60/40 -> Rebalance: 70/30 -> Market Recovery: 80 / 20 -> Rebalance: 70/30

Is that situation what you're thinking?
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:34 pm

pascalwager wrote:

Even if they eventually re-rebalanced to the same stock-bond ratio, the performance advantage from the initial decision to rebalance to stocks (assuming that subsequently stocks did outperform bonds) would be permanent. They would own both more stocks and bonds with the extra money they made from the outperformance of the initial decision.

drk

Post by drk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:37 pm

drk wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:42 pm
All I bought today were replacement funds for TLH transactions. I just now hit my 5% rebalancing band, so hopefully tomorrow doesn’t end green.
You're welcome, anybody rooting for a green Tuesday.

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:12 pm

pascalwager wrote:
Noobvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 am
pascalwager wrote:
Noobvestor wrote:

Today's upswing eliminated the issue for me--at least for now. But I don't like the idea of possibly being whipsawed for a long time requiring lots of $100k transactions.

Then there's this, from a Vanguard study paper on rebalancing. Vanguard states that rebalancing once or twice a year is adequate, and doing it more frequently can lead to lower returns. In fact they don't say "rebalancing", but rather "monitoring for possible rebalancing" (not a direct quote) based on a 5% threshold. They make no special reference to additional monitoring during market turmoil.

I think if you have a theory-based reason for doing it, and it's part of your IPS, etc... it's all fine. The thing that felt like a red flag to me in your post was putting a dollar amount to it, which really shouldn't matter - i.e. any reasoning should be tied to percentages, not dollars. If moving around large dollar amounts is starting to feel stressful, that might say something about needing to re-assess a plan grounded in percents.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

Starfox

Post by Starfox » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:34 pm
pascalwager wrote:

Even if they eventually re-rebalanced to the same stock-bond ratio, the performance advantage from the initial decision to rebalance to stocks (assuming that subsequently stocks did outperform bonds) would be permanent. They would own both more stocks and bonds with the extra money they made from the outperformance of the initial decision.
This is what I did/am doing. I prefer to stay 70/30, but am currently 90/10, after making 3 purchases, at minus 9%, minus 13%, and minus 19%, of the sp500.

Plan is to go back to 70/30 when sp500 is at all time highs again.

james22

Post by james22 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:13 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 am
Sitting on your dry powder for several years here due to fear of buying too high has seemed to be a quasi strategy for some people on these boards. Sitting still, waiting for the drop so they could buy low.
Has anyone back tested this assumption?
Someone on this thread said they had been sitting since 2010.
So, are you all buying now and making a killing on these new low prices?

How's that working for you. Mathematically
Meanwhile, it’s also useful to remember how forgiving the complete market cycle is of exiting an overvalued market too early. The fact is that the 2000-2002 collapse wiped out every bit of total return that the S&P 500 had accrued over-and-above T-bills, all the way back to May 1996. The 2007-2009 collapse did the same, all the way back to June 1995.

https://www.hussmanfunds.com/comment/mc190805/

I often say that, once market valuations become extreme, the full cycle is enormously forgiving of investors who make the “mistake” of managing risk and reducing their market exposure too early.

https://www.hussmanfunds.com/comment/mc191009/

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:37 am

watchnerd wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:14 pm
pascalwager wrote:

It sounds like you're suggesting two possible scenarios. I'll use myself as a working example:

No rebalancing:

Start State: 70/30 -> Stocks Decline: 60/40 -> Market Recovery: 70/30

vs

Rebalancing:

Start State: 70/30 -> Stocks Decline: 60/40 -> Rebalance: 70/30 -> Market Recovery: 80 / 20 -> Rebalance: 70/30

Is that situation what you're thinking?
Yes, and I've had the impression that some consider it (rebalancing during a market correction) a kind of free lunch that can propel a portfolio to a higher value. Otherwise, I wasn't able to explain their apparent enthusiasm for rebalancing during market corrections.