Why not 100% PSLDX?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
vijaym73

Re: Why not 100% PSLDX?

Post by vijaym73 »

And ??
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

InvestInPasta wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:03 pm
Jason Zweig about ProShares UltraPro QQQ

Few funds in history can rival the returns of ProShares UltraPro QQQ, a $7 billion exchange-traded fund that seeks to triple the daily performance of the Nasdaq 100 index.
Starting from 2000 to now TQQQ is probably still under water. (if TQQQ existed back then, someone might have simulated it)
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

guyinlaw wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Few funds in history can rival the returns of ProShares UltraPro QQQ, a $7 billion exchange-traded fund that seeks to triple the daily performance of the Nasdaq 100 index.
Starting from 2000 to now TQQQ is probably still under water. (if TQQQ existed back then, someone might have simulated it)
It is, I simulated UPRO going back that far and UPRO finally recovered to 2000 level sometime around 2017, QQQ drawdown was more significant than SP500.
InvestInPasta

Post by InvestInPasta »

vijaym73 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:52 pmAnd ??
Just some food for thought on the extreme danger of leverage.
When I study English I am lazier than my portfolio. Feel free to fix my english and investing mistakes.
DesertMan

Post by DesertMan »

TQQQ vs PSLDX is apples to oranges. TQQQ, like the other 3x leveraged ETFs, uses futures to track daily price movement and not total return. These ETFs do a decent job of meeting that objective, which gives them some use in risk parity and hedging. But they are not at all equivalent to funds which use leverage to invest in conventional assets like PSLDX or NTSX.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Any PSLDX holders getting nervous about inflation?

https://focuswashington.com/2020/08/25/ ... inflation/
moptop

Post by moptop »

Ramjet wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 am Any PSLDX holders getting nervous about inflation?

https://focuswashington.com/2020/08/25/ ... inflation/
I know it is heresy around these parts, but if inflation becomes a problem, it is easy enough to sell my psldx and get back into total market or whatever else you like. I think that is a more longterm minded and predictable market timing.
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Small-to-moderate inflation over a few years, like what it would take to haul the average up to 2%, I'm not concerned about. The bond component might drag returns down some, but I'm not expecting PSLDX to perform like it has the last decade anyways. It's large, unexpected inflation that's the boogeyman.
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

Fed has been trying to spark inflation for many years. It has not been very successful. Now it is targeting 2-3% inflation.

If this affects bond prices and PSLDX, if at all, will be two step process
1. Inflation has to go beyond the target Fed has set.
2. Fed has to increase interest rate in response to it.

This is unlikely to happen. Fed has said it will keep interest rates at zero till end of 2022. Traders expect this to be much longer. Fed has said it will let inflation increase, if it does happen. In the mean time they continue to buy 10Y and 30Y treasuries, corporate debt and MBS, into infinite QE.

LT interest rates had dropped substantially over the last 3 months. 10Y rates to 0.5% and 30Y to 1.3%. Now, traders are speculating and LT rates have increased a bit. Two reasons in news 1. Fed not wanting to do Yield curve control (more directly control LT rates) 2. Possible inflation.

Yes, Cost of goods are up a bit. Due to supply change issues, changed demand, USD devaluation... But as pandemic ends - technology, China and competition will bring the costs back down.

IMO this is temp speculation, while long term interest rate will stay low and go lower. Not worried for > 5 years.
DesertMan

Post by DesertMan »

FYI, Chase JPMorgan YouInvest has PSPAX (the Class A of the regular, not long duration, version of PSLDX.) It is available load waived with no minimum.
rascott

Post by rascott »

DesertMan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 pm FYI, Chase JPMorgan YouInvest has PSPAX (the Class A of the regular, not long duration, version of PSLDX.) It is available load waived with no minimum.
It's not really a worthwhile fund.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

guyinlaw wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:26 pm Fed has been trying to spark inflation for many years. It has not been very successful. Now it is targeting 2-3% inflation.

This is unlikely to happen. Fed has said it will keep interest rates at zero till end of 2022. Traders expect this to be much longer. Fed has said it will let inflation increase, if it does happen. In the mean time they continue to buy 10Y and 30Y treasuries, corporate debt and MBS, into infinite QE.

LT interest rates had dropped substantially over the last 3 months. 10Y rates to 0.5% and 30Y to 1.3%. Now, traders are speculating and LT rates have increased a bit. Two reasons in news 1. Fed not wanting to do Yield curve control (more directly control LT rates) 2. Possible inflation.

Yes, Cost of goods are up a bit. Due to supply change issues, changed demand, USD devaluation... But as pandemic ends - technology, China and competition will bring the costs back down.

IMO this is temp speculation, while long term interest rate will stay low and go lower. Not worried for > 5 years.
This.

That said, I have a decent chunk of PSLDX in my portfolio, but it's unlikely I'll add more than $50,000 to my current stake over the next year or two. I'm planning on holding "forever," but in no case for less than 30 years. I'm excited about its prospects for the next three+ decades, but if long bonds, the expense ratio, and cost of leverage under performs, it won't be the end of the world for me.
mav12

Post by mav12 »

AZAttorney11 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:57 pm
guyinlaw wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:26 pm Fed has been trying to spark inflation for many years. It has not been very successful. Now it is targeting 2-3% inflation.

This.

That said, I have a decent chunk of PSLDX in my portfolio, but it's unlikely I'll add more than $50,000 to my current stake over the next year or two. I'm planning on holding "forever," but in no case for less than 30 years. I'm excited about its prospects for the next three+ decades, but if long bonds, the expense ratio, and cost of leverage under performs, it won't be the end of the world for me.
How does one invest in it w/ < $1 Mill ?
Semantics

Post by Semantics »

mav12 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:44 pm

This.

Use a different brokerage. At Vanguard the minimum is $25k, I think, and there's a $8 commission per transaction. At Schwab the minimum is $2500 or $1000 in an IRA.

Re: interest rates, +1 to guyinlaw's post. I'm personally not worried about treasury rates spiking up, but I do think it's likely that this fund will only slightly outperform $SPX going forward, which still amounts to a lot compounded over 30 years, but won't be like the past ten. So I'm probably going to move my holdings to something more HEDGEFUNDIE-ish.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Last I checked -- which wasnt long -- Schwab had minimum of 100k. Fidelity had no minimum that I could discern
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:32 am Last I checked -- which wasnt long -- Schwab had minimum of 100k. Fidelity had no minimum that I could discern
I have this at Schwab. It requires < 5k minimum, with $50 transaction fee
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

guyinlaw wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:58 am I have this at Schwab. It requires < 5k minimum, with $50 transaction fee
You're right. Just checked again and it's 2.5k. Very nice :beer
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

This.

TD Ameritrade has it for $50 per trade
isubrama

Post by isubrama »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:33 am

This.

Ally has it for $10 fee, for $500 or so minimum.
DesertMan

Post by DesertMan »

DesertMan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 pm FYI, Chase JPMorgan YouInvest has PSPAX (the Class A of the regular, not long duration, version of PSLDX.) It is available load waived with no minimum.
It looks like PSLDX itself is also available on the same terms... no minimum and no load.
M1garand30064

Post by M1garand30064 »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:33 am

This.

I bought it in my HSA with TD last week for a $25 fee. If you set up a recurring transaction it is free after the initial purchase.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

How are you all accounting for the percentage of bonds / stocks that PSLDX contributes as a component in your overall asset allocation?
grp2c

Post by grp2c »

MindBogler wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm How are you all accounting for the percentage of bonds / stocks that PSLDX contributes as a component in your overall asset allocation?
I would like to know as well. I think someone said they just count it as 100% US stocks.
ChrisBenn

Post by ChrisBenn »

I think the most correct would be to add a negative cash position to your allocation (which would then also give you an idea of overall portfolio leverage).

I think treating it notionally as 100% S&P 500 would be more correct than treating it as a 50/50.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

ChrisBenn wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 pm I think the most correct would be to add a negative cash position to your allocation (which would then also give you an idea of overall portfolio leverage).

I think treating it notionally as 100% S&P 500 would be more correct than treating it as a 50/50.
50/50 is what I have been using for a "close enough" approximation. Granted the components behave differently than normal because of leverage. I'm just curious what others are doing, maybe there is a better method.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

MindBogler wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm How are you all accounting for the percentage of bonds / stocks that PSLDX contributes as a component in your overall asset allocation?
100% U.S. Equity
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Another vote for 100% stock.
codoriti

Post by codoriti »

Hopped on the train in May, but I guess these last 2 days is the feeling people have been getting over the past decade with this fund. Hopefully it lasts, at least to some degree :beer
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

codoriti wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:42 pm Hopped on the train in May, but I guess these last 2 days is the feeling people have been getting over the past decade with this fund. Hopefully it lasts, at least to some degree :beer
Exact same boat. Days where both stocks and bonds are up sure do make up for those day where both are down. :sharebeer
chillpenguin

Post by chillpenguin »

I thought it was considered 100/100?

I think considering it 100/100 would be the most honest because it forces you to confront the built-in leverage. Pretending it is 50/50 would allow you to "forget" about the inherent risk/return characteristics.

100/0 would definitely be closer to the truth, but once again that doesn't account for the full story. For example, a crash in both stocks and bonds at the same time would effect the 100/100 allocation doubly, compared to the 100/0.

I could be wrong about the exact numbers because I don't know that much about this fund specifically. But hopefully you can see my point though about how leverage effects the asset allocation breakdown.
chillpenguin

Post by chillpenguin »

Regarding recreating PSLDX with ETFs, I have another version to offer:

66% NTSX
14% UPRO
20% TMF

The stock/bond allocation is effectively 101/100 (to be precise, I calculated 101.4 stocks, 99.6 bonds).

One thing I like about this is that it minimizes the use of the leveraged-daily etfs, and moves more of the leverage into NTSX which is supposedly more efficient and less susceptible to volatility decay.

Feel free to tweak further and offer improvements!
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

100% stock.

Buy a big pile of it and watch it move a while, and you'll agree.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Rad Dad

Post by Rad Dad »

chillpenguin wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 am Regarding recreating PSLDX with ETFs, I have another version to offer:

66% NTSX
14% UPRO
20% TMF

The stock/bond allocation is effectively 101/100 (to be precise, I calculated 101.4 stocks, 99.6 bonds).

One thing I like about this is that it minimizes the use of the leveraged-daily etfs, and moves more of the leverage into NTSX which is supposedly more efficient and less susceptible to volatility decay.

Feel free to tweak further and offer improvements!
I am also doing something very similar to this.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

firebirdparts wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:27 am
100% stock.

I guess I have a problem with this characterization because it isn't 100% stock. The most accurate way to describe it--I believe and, as others have mentioned--is 100% stock and 100% bond with a negative cash position. However, I'm not sure it is even useful to account for the negative cash / leverage when assessing what percentage of stock/bond this fund represents in an overall asset allocation. Although this fund responds to those assets with greater magnitude, it still approximates a combination of both stock/bond. That is why I have been using 50/50. I'd love to hear the rationale behind accounting for it in different ways.

Oh, and I already do have a pretty big pile.
:sharebeer
redstar

Post by redstar »

MindBogler wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:17 pm [quote=firebirdparts post_id=5474249 time=<a href="tel:1599146865">1599146865</a> user_id=149308]
[quote=MindBogler post_id=5463675 time=<a href="tel:1598724644">1598724644</a> user_id=44330]
How are you all accounting for the percentage of bonds / stocks that PSLDX contributes as a component in your overall asset allocation?
100% stock.

[/quote]
I guess I have a problem with this characterization because it isn't 100% stock. The most accurate way to describe it--I believe and, as others have mentioned--is 100% stock and 100% bond with a negative cash position. However, I'm not sure it is even useful to account for the negative cash / leverage when assessing what percentage of stock/bond this fund represents in an overall asset allocation. Although this fund responds to those assets with greater magnitude, it still approximates a combination of both stock/bond. That is why I have been using 50/50. I'd love to hear the rationale behind accounting for it in different ways.

Oh, and I already do have a pretty big pile.
:sharebeer
[/quote]

I think it depends on the purpose of the accounting exercise. When I am looking at a holistic view of my entire portfolio I consider it to be 100% stock, 100% bonds, and -100% cash. I also display the current leverage amount. When I am doing rebalance calculations I just treat it as 100% US large cap.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

redstar wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 pm I think it depends on the purpose of the accounting exercise. When I am looking at a holistic view of my entire portfolio I consider it to be 100% stock, 100% bonds, and -100% cash. I also display the current leverage amount. When I am doing rebalance calculations I just treat it as 100% US large cap.
The accounting exercise is solely to understand the total portfolio so i am able to perform rebalancing operations and/or direct new contributions to the most underweight category: bonds, LC, SCV, Intl.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Boy, I sure got a whipping today. It only lost the growth back to August 20, but it feels a lot worse.
A fool and your money are soon partners
codoriti

Post by codoriti »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:56 pm Boy, I sure got a whipping today. It only lost the growth back to August 20, but it feels a lot worse.
Yeah, these last 2 days felt brutal. I jinxed it when I said it felt so good a few posts above :oops:
Dug8498

Post by Dug8498 »

I know I'm a little late on this response, but if anyone is interested, I found i was able to buy this with no transaction cost and a $500 minimum at firstrade. i believe there may be a $100 min for subsequent purchases.

FYI- I've found that first trade allows me to access many many mutual funds for $500- $1000 min and no fee that have extremely high entry costs at other brokers.
Last edited by Dug8498 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mav12

Post by mav12 »

Dug8498 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:06 am I know I'm a little late on this response, but if anyone is interesting, I found i was able to buy this with no transaction cost and a $500 minimum at firstrade. i believe there may be a $100 min for subsequent purchases.

FYI- I've found that first trade allows me to access many many mutual funds for $500- $1000 min and no fee that have extremely high entry costs at other brokers.
That helps. Thank you. I've tried other brokers and not much luck, Schwab and TDA it is $50. Do you know if FirstTrade charges an Early Redemption Fee, basically is you sell the fund within 30 to 90 days? Some brokers have 30 days, some 90 days. Also, FYI there is some negative feedback on their Customer Service. https://investorjunkie.com/reviews/firstrade/
NMBob

Post by NMBob »

codoriti wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:01 pm
firebirdparts wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:56 pm Boy, I sure got a whipping today. It only lost the growth back to August 20, but it feels a lot worse.
Yeah, these last 2 days felt brutal. I jinxed it when I said it felt so good a few posts above :oops:
one week return from morningstar, as of 4 sept. VTSAX = -2.37...PSLDX = -1.54
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

NMBob wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:52 pm
Long bond should help today too.
Dug8498

Post by Dug8498 »

mav12 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 pm
Dug8498 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:06 am I know I'm a little late on this response, but if anyone is interesting, I found i was able to buy this with no transaction cost and a $500 minimum at firstrade. i believe there may be a $100 min for subsequent purchases.

That helps. Thank you. I've tried other brokers and not much luck, Schwab and TDA it is $50. Do you know if FirstTrade charges an Early Redemption Fee, basically is you sell the fund within 30 to 90 days? Some brokers have 30 days, some 90 days. Also, FYI there is some negative feedback on their Customer Service. https://investorjunkie.com/reviews/firstrade/
I haven't tried to sell anything i've purchased on there yet, so i couldn't tell you. However, when purchasing, there is no language from them indicating that's the case.

Yes, if you try to call them with a question, you will be on the phone for a solid hour before you reach anyone. Their customer service is nowhere near that of schwab, fidelity, or vanguard, but other than that, I've had no issues.
mroe800

Post by mroe800 »

jarjarM wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:02 pm
Well, it didn’t help today for some reason.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

mroe800 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 am
Dividend day
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

mroe800 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 am
Dividend distribution, actual return for the day is -1.8%
mroe800

Post by mroe800 »

I should have checked that before opening my mouth. I knew -5% seemed off compared against the day, but the dividend shares haven’t posted in Vanguard and I hadn’t checked PIMCO website yet.
pwill112

Post by pwill112 »

So if I put 100k in PSLDX on day one what will my underlying asset allocation look like?

I will have some stocks
I will have some bonds
I will have a negative cash balance?
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

pwill112 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:58 am So if I put 100k in PSLDX on day one what will my underlying asset allocation look like?

I will have some stocks
I will have some bonds
I will have a negative cash balance?
Yep.
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

Any idea how much is the fees to buy PSLDX at Interactive Brokers?