[Why aren't forum members following the "Stay the course" approach?]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Regattamom

[Why aren't forum members following the "Stay the course" approach?]

Post by Regattamom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:07 pm

[Title was "Disappointed in forum members" --admin LadyGeek]

I expected more from the members on this forum. So many people asking about selling now and buying back in later and lots of people are agreeing it's a good idea. What happened to the Boglehead philosophy? Why be here if you don't believe in it? And I wonder if it makes new people second guess their choices or disregard the data we have available to us.

I have not been a member for very long, but I believe in the Boglehead philosophy. I am staying the course, continuing with our plan and not looking at my balances. My asset allocation will remain the same. It can be hard to stay the course, and I thought this forum would be a good place for that kind of reinforcement.

That's all.

theorist

Re: Disappointed in forum members

Post by theorist » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:14 pm

I am relatively new here, but I think you are seeing a selection effect in posts. If you are a member of the presumed majority here — people who believe in low cost (mostly indexed) funds, diversification, having a well thought out IPS, and staying the course — you will not likely post “I am still staying the course!” as a new post. I think a lot of us (including newer people like me) are doing exactly that. However, if you are NOT staying the course and are doing something radical, you are much more likely to post. After all, it is interesting, in the sense that it is differentiated from the presumed default behavior.

TL;DR — I think there is a silent majority here staying the course and looking on the antics with mild disapproval. (Maybe “bemusement” is a better word — I don’t often disapprove of actions someone takes that don’t hurt others, but I can be bemused by them.)
Last edited by theorist on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:14 pm

I don't recall signing a manifesto when I registered.

jb1

Post by jb1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:15 pm

I’m 29, and buying more. Although this could be the start of my first down market, I'll ride it out and buy more.

I’m 100% equities. I’m sure in 30 years it’ll just be a bump in the road.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 pm

jb1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:15 pm
I’m 29, and buying more. Although this could be the start of my first down market, I'll ride it out and buy more.

I'm 63 and buying more. :sharebeer

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Most posters do abide by that philosophy. In a big market slide infrequent posters come out of the woodwork and jam up the servers with talk of timing. That’s not the norm. If anything, it goes to show staying the course is hard. Everyone can talk the talk when times are good. But when times get rough, it’s apparent a lot of people are quick to hit that panic sell button. There are many posters here who do walk the walk. They can be hard to find amongst the rest in times like this.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 pm

Retired and Staying the course.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 pm

You don’t know how you are going to react to a market drop until it happens. I’ve been through some scary events in my investing career. 1990 when Iraq invaded Kuwait. 2001 and 9/11. 2008. I stayed the course. It was hard and at times I wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing. But I did it as did many who post here. Others can’t pull it off and hopefully learn something about themselves. There are people who will be overconfident and there are those who will be quietly steady and calm (as namesake John Bogle always was).

I am staying the course this time as well as I decided a ways back that’s just what I do.
Last edited by Kenkat on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm

jb1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:15 pm

You weren't 100% equities before you bought more. Why?

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Staying the course sounds all well and good. Until you see your net worth evaporating and retirement going out the window.

When that is the case it might be useful to remember Taylor Larimore's thread "Maximum Tolerable Loss" -- Not just a fear factor where he outlined when one should get out of the equity market.

viewtopic.php?t=30085

I'm not saying we are at that point necessarily now but there is no obligation to stick around in equities when it will cause you economic harm.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

ionball

Post by ionball » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Also staying the course. I still believe my Asset Allocation is right.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm

It's an internet forum with a wide range of members with different approaches, levels of knowledge, interests, and experience. There is no substitute for managing your portfolio through a market with a > 30% decline. The recent increase in volatility with a much smaller move down seems like a wake up call for many.

I teach about personal finance and you can't teach experience, but you can encourage people to learn theory and history. Hopefully this provides a basis for sticking to a plan.

MoneyMarathon

Post by MoneyMarathon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:23 pm

Regattamom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:07 pm
It can be hard to stay the course, and I thought this forum would be a good place for that kind of reinforcement.
I find the panicked posts some of the best kind of reinforcement, but it's easier to see it with a little perspective & the comfort of "knowing the future" ... which can only be known after the fact.

Reading the posts from 2008 and 2009, for example, are a great way to feel pretty solid about keeping a constant asset allocation.

For the current crop of panic, it will just take time for it all to add to the pile of reassuring reading material.

hagridshut

Post by hagridshut » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Regattamom wrote:
What happened to the Boglehead philosophy?
4 letters: TSLA.

There was a substantial uptick in market timing on this forum when a bunch of people here started shorting Tesla about a year ago, because it was "guaranteed" profit. Until it wasn't.

The unfortunate truth is that people are not always going to stick to any particular investment strategy. People are still emotional creatures and prone to making mistakes driven by greed, fear, and overconfidence.
First Principles: (1) Diversify (2) Low Cost (3) Stay the Course | 3-Fund Index Portfolio

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 pm

I thought about rebalancing, but I'm still with my 10-15% band.

I thought about Tax Loss Harvesting, but none of my loses are large enough to be worth harvesting yet.

So, I've done nothing. And posted nothing.

jaxinvestor

Post by jaxinvestor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:27 pm

I view the Bogleheads community as an informational resource only and not an investment advisory service. I would venture to guess that many of the members have no direct personal contact with other members beyond this message board and would therefore consider them strangers. My advice is to NEVER EVER make investment decisions based on what strangers say or do. If you are comfortable staying the course, do so and let the market timers do their thing. There are studies out there on market timing and the general inability of folks to beat the market by doing so. I am a stranger so you can choose to take my advice or ignore it. Good luck to you and all fellow investors.

RJC

Post by RJC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:28 pm

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

bampf

Post by bampf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 pm

I haven't changed my asset allocation or my investment strategy. I purchased last week, a couple days earlier than I had thought I was going to, but, roughly at the right amount. My strategy of essentially 2 years of liquidity at fat fire rate remains the same. Since I continue to work and cash flow university (thanks Klang) I can sell my 529s when it is best for me. (This year, next year, whenever). I think most are holding firm and recognize that it isn't timing but rather time in the market. Would be disingenuous if I didn't say I wasn't partly delighted with a ~$45 reduction in my market ETF. That being said, ask me in 15 years what I think about my investment plan. My hope is I will have to put down my glass of Domaine Leroy Richebourg Grand Cru to use both hands to answer you.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Anyone can join this forum, and we have a lot of "players" here. Keep in mind that most members don't post much. Also, we have a whole generation of investors that have never seen a bear market and may not have chosen the right asset allocation. It's easy to be aggressive when the stock market keeps going up.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

dru808

Post by dru808 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 pm

I believe you’re seeing new members that don’t subscribe to the typical boglehead philosophy.
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:34 pm

hagridshut wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Regattamom wrote:

There was a substantial uptick in market timing on this forum when a bunch of people here started shorting Tesla about a year ago, because it was "guaranteed" profit. Until it wasn't.
Really? I can only remember one poster (Dan Mahowny) shorting TSLA. Seems like there was more enthusiasm the other direction.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:36 pm

This forum is a good source for bouncing off ideas, but not as a source for advice and guidance as someone else also said. In fact, this forum is a notoriously poor place to be in times of distress, as you have many doom & gloom and panic selling posts from people who had overestimated their risk tolerance before the selling began. I mostly stayed away in 2008-09 and only peeked in occasionally. If you like to survive then try not to read too much into the panic selling posts, buy now get back in three months ideas, etc. Be your own guide once you have learned the foundations of what makes successful investing. Look for guidance from real experts like Buffett and Bogle. Think what they will do, not random posters on internet running around spreading fear and greed.

Topic Author
Regattamom

Post by Regattamom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:37 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm
Staying the course sounds all well and good. Until you see your net worth evaporating and retirement going out the window.

When that is the case it might be useful to remember Taylor Larimore's thread "Maximum Tolerable Loss" -- Not just a fear factor where he outlined when one should get out of the equity market.

viewtopic.php?t=30085

I'm not saying we are at that point necessarily now but there is no obligation to stick around in equities when it will cause you economic harm.
I've read the post.
But the money I need for retirement would not be in equities if it could not stand the drop. That's how I determined our asset allocation. I guess I'm conservative.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Pinotage wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:34 pm
hagridshut wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Regattamom wrote:

Really? I can only remember one poster (Dan Mahowny) shorting TSLA. Seems like there was more enthusiasm the other direction.
And there are also very few people who have admitted to bailing or changing AA and locking in losses. Then there are a couple of us who bailed or changed AA before the crash. But the overwhelming majority seem to be sticking with their AA.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:40 pm

Age 43

70-75/30-25 AA. Stock/bond. I let it drift.

No changes to 401k contributions.

Bought a whopping 20 shares of VTI in a taxable account on Tuesday.
Last edited by mortfree on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Regattamom wrote:

I have not been a member for very long, but I believe in the Boglehead philosophy. I am staying the course, continuing with our plan and not looking at my balances. My asset allocation will remain the same. It can be hard to stay the course, and I thought this forum would be a good place for that kind of reinforcement.

That's all.
Regattamom:

Staying the course in a bear market (or 10% correction) is "hard" and requires belief and courage. Most Bogleheads have both.

If you are looking for confirmation that "staying the course" is the right thing to do, read this:
Barber Odean Study: "Of 66,465 households with accounts at a large discount broker during 1991 to 1996, those that trade most earn an annual return of 11.4 percent, while the market returns 17.9 percent. Our central message is that trading is hazardous to your health."

William Bernstein, author of Four Pillars of Investing: If you become upset when one of your asset classes does poorly, even when the rest of your portfolio is doing well, then you should not be managing your own money."

Jack Bogle: "Stay the Course. No matter what happens, stick to your program. I've said "Stay the course" a thousand times, and I meant it every time. It is the most important single piece of investment wisdom I can give to you."--"We say stay the course. But before you stay the course, make sure you're on the right course."

Bogleheads Guide to Investing: "Wall Street can't stand buy-and-hold strategies because brokers need trading activity to make money."

Jack Brennan, former Vanguard CEO: "If you're determined to succeed at investing, make it your first priority to become a buy-and-hold investor."

Warren Buffett: "Inactivity strikes us as intelligent behavior."

Andrew Clarke, author of Wealth of Experience: "Setting a goal, developing an appropriate asset allocation, and selecting a handful of funds are not hugely complex tasks. The hard part comes next: Battling your emotions so that you can stick with your plan through thick and thin."

Jonathan Clements, author and Wall Street Journal columnist: "Take my word on it. Buy-and-hold is still your best long-run strategy."

Phil DeMuth, adviser and co-author of seven investment books: "The investor says to his adviser: 'Every year you tell me to do nothing. What do I need you for?' The adviser replied: 'Every year you need me to keep your from doing anything."

Paul Farrell, author of Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: "In a study of 66,400 Merrill Lynch investors, professors Odean and Barber discovered that buy-and-hold investors beat the more active investors by a fairly sizable margin: 18.5% to 11.4% over a six-year period."

Rick Ferri, advisor and financial author: "Write down your strategy -- and stay-the-course."

Steve Forbes: "Everyone is a long-term investor until the market goes down."

Alan Greenspan, former Chairman of the Federal Reserve: "The best strategy for equity investor has always been buy and hold, and forget it."

Mark Hebner, author of "Index Funds": "Prices change to reflect news which is both random and unpredictable. Stock picking and market timing don't work. Stay the course in a risk-appropriate index portfolio and invest and relax."

Morgan Housel, financial columnist: "Do nothing" are the two most powerful -- and underused -- words in investing. The urge to act has transferred an inconceivable amount of wealth from investors to brokers."

Michael LeBoeuf, author of The Millionaire in You: "Simple buy-and-hold index investing is one of the best, most efficient ways to grow your money to the ultimate goal of financial freedom."

Jessie Livermore, famous stock trader: "The big money is not in the buying or the selling, but in the sitting."

Burton Malkiel, author of Random Walk Down Wall Street: "Buying-and-holding a broad-based market index fund is still the only game in town."

Paul Merriman: "There will always be somebody with a story or strategy that's newer or seems much better."

Morningstar video: Bad Timing Costs Investors 2.5% Per Year

Mike Piper, editor of The Oblivious Investor: "One of the most important lessons in investing is that there is no “perfect” portfolio, but there are many “perfectly fine” portfolios. Once you are confident that you have a “perfectly fine” portfolio, just stick with the plan and let the portfolio do what it is meant to do."

Bill Schultheis, author of The Coffeehouse Investor: "42% of millionaires of this country make less than one transaction per year in their investments."

Fred Schwed Jr. author of "Where are the Customers' Yachts? "It turns out that I should have just bought them (securities) and thereafter I should have just sat on them like a fat, stupid peasant."

Chandan Sengupta, author of The Only Proven Road to Investment Success: "If you are not going to stick to your chosen investment method through thick and thin, there is almost no chance of your succeeding as an investor."

Dan Solin, financial author and adviser: "Once you understand that monitoring the markets is harmful to your long-term returns, a whole new world of opportunities will await you."

Larry Swedroe, advisor and financial author: "There are lots of people out there who have something to gain by your taking action instead of your adhering to your well-thought-out plan."

Eric Tyson, author of Mutual Funds for Dummies: "Don't trade in and out of funds. Stay invested. Not only does buy-and-hold investing offer better returns, but it's also less work."

Jason Zweig, financial author and Wall Street Journal columnist: "The ultimate benefits of owning stocks accrue only to those who can buy and hold."
Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Eliminate emotion from your investment program. -- Cold, dark winters will give way to bright, bountiful springs."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 pm

People also use actively managed funds (wellington, wellesley) and some admire stock pickers and market timers (Warren Buffet). THose threads dont get this response of disappointment.

Sometimes the market gets it way wrong. The coronavirus last week is a good example. Kudos to those who noticed it before the fall. Hope you buy back at any lower price. The market also got it wrong in Japan in the late 80s. it happens.

Some people sold because their risk tolerance changed or was clarified. One should never take more risk than whcih one is comfortable.

The funniest are the # of threads that said - bond yields have nowher to go but up, (for the last many mnay years), and people went to shorter term bonds. Sounds like market timing to me in those threads. But someone selling due to a worldwide pandemic that has been underestimated by governments, and thousands dead? - seems like a reasonable reason to re-evaluate one's risk.

I wonder if this thread will be locked by our fine moderators,
Last edited by sambb on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Bogleheads are people too.

What I have seen/perceived:

To posters asking what to do at a present/future time: Stay the course.

To posters who have already sold at a point higher than the current level of the market: You may well come out ahead of buy & hold this time.

Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 pm

We've had a very long, nearly uninterrupted run up in the stock market since 2009.

A lot of people up the age of about 35 have probably never seen a market drop. If you just watch the news, it's easy to get roped in to thinking the sky is falling, and it's time to do something.

What I've learned in 30 years of doing this, is, everytime somebody says "it's different this time"; they're wrong. It's never different. So I'm staying put, and my monthly automated purchases are going on as scheduled.

Sitting through 2008-2009 without doing anything made me *queasy*. I held on, and it turned out great. It was absolutely the right thing to do. But it was queasy for me, and I was all mentally steeled to stay the course. I understand why others don't do it; it's a gross feeling.

But as WB says "when it's raining gold, run outside with a bucket, not a thimble". And "be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful"

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Disappointed? SMH.

Cheers

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Regattamom wrote:
I expected more from the members on this forum.
You seem to have made a few mistakes with your expectations.

- You expect everyone here to be of a like mind
- You expect people who talk a good game to be consistent as soon as the market turns south

Hopefully, you'll lower your expectations now, and enjoy the forum for what it actually is.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Topic Author
Regattamom

Post by Regattamom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 pm
Disappointed? SMH.

Cheers
Would you prefer a different word? Let me think...

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm

I like being exposed to different points of view. I may not agree with them but I like the diversity. I work with people who are often absolutely sure of themselves, or wish to portray themselves as such for career or profit reasons. Not so fast, I often say to myself. But sometimes they are right. Never always, but sometimes.

As with many situations in life, there will always be those who test your ability to stay the course (in investments, the workplace, rush hour traffic, or otherwise). It's not always pleasant to disagree, but it builds strength and maturity if one is cognizant of the need to rise above the immediate fray into principles and ideals.

There's a hierarchy of beliefs or loyalty: (paraphrased from Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun)
- Loyalty to a person
- Loyalty to a group
- Loyalty to the written rules of a group
- Loyalty to the principles upon which the written rules are based

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 pm

LOL....meet us out back....we need to talk
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

PaulS

Post by PaulS » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 pm

I do follow Bogle head philosophy from the heart. Actually, I read lot of books on Bogle head Philosophy before coming to this website. I did my first investment in December, 2019 and invested all the cash in Taxable account with Vanguard— VOO and VTI and VTEB and very little PFFD. Now my Portfolio for Taxable and other retirement accounts down by around 25k. I am still going to follow the Boglehead Philosophy and not selling any single stock of VTI or VOO. As if the market goes down this week will buy more VTI and VOO.
One mistake I made, that I didn’t follow Bogglehead Philosophy was that I kept very little asset allocation of bonds in my portfolio . Now I realize importance of having a good amount of bonds in the asset allocation.
At the end, still following Boglehead philosophy in this downturn to hold on to the equities that are in loss and looking to buy more VTI and VOO this coming week.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:57 pm

I have noticed the same thing.

It seems as the forum has gained more popularity the wisdom has been diluted.

We now have many more newcomers dominating the old timers.

Probably a lot of people have been buying into this 3 year Rally as stocks were seen as going up forever.

Why not 100% Stock? :shock:
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Silent majority not doing anything. No rebalancing triggers even hit yet.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:58 pm

I agree this is a mix of
1.) most of what you're seeing is a minority of this board running on emotion
and
2.) we don't all subscribe strictly to all the BH rules

I for example contributed much less than the max on our 2019 Roth's with suspicions of a market down turn at some point, and I was right.. Why max contribute at all time market highs when we could barely afford it anyways (1 income family)

Good luck!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:00 pm

RubyTuesday wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:58 pm
Silent majority not doing anything. No rebalancing triggers even hit yet.
Ditto.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Regattamom wrote:
I expected more from the members on this forum. So many people asking about selling now and buying back in later and lots of people are agreeing it's a good idea. What happened to the Boglehead philosophy? Why be here if you don't believe in it? And I wonder if it makes new people second guess their choices or disregard the data we have available to us.

That's all.

So what do you want, everyone to post huge apology to you?

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Regattamom wrote:

The sad truth is that there is no other decent investing forum on the internet, so everyone interested in investing comes here. Many here are not followers of John Bogle's investing philosophy. They're just here because there is no other place to go.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:07 pm

I am staying the course! This correction doesn't scare me; I will never deviate from the Boglehead way.

Except for that little exchange of funds I did at 3:45 pm Friday afternoon--that was just a slip. Happens to everyone. Hardly different from my IPS . . . the one I'm going to revise next week.

Other than that, I am staying the course!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:07 pm

ImUrHuckleberry wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:14 pm
This ^^ !

We are here to learn a lot about finances, including "THE Boglehead manifesto" (if it really exists), and also to learn about many other things, from dollar cost averaging, tax loss harvesting, types of asset allocation - and arguments/explanations about same - etc.

There is lots to learn, including about rationales for approaches that we do not actually decide to follow.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:07 pm

I'm actually proud of the community. Folks seem to be coming together and supporting one another.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm

Tdubs wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:07 pm
I am staying the course! This correction doesn't scare me; I will never deviate from the Boglehead way.

Except for that little exchange of funds I did at 3:45 pm Friday afternoon--that was just a slip. Happens to everyone. Hardly different from my IPS . . . the one I'm going to revise next week.

Tell us more about that little transaction.

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm

Many forum members are not Bogleheads. To make a post you have to register. That's all that's required. And that's ok, of course, but it's important to know that.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:13 pm

Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Bogleheads® is the title adopted by many of the investing enthusiasts who participate in this site. The term is intended to honor Vanguard founder and investor advocate John Bogle.

The Bogleheads® emphasize starting early, living below one's means, regular saving, broad diversification, simplicity, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.

This site is composed of two primary resources: our Wiki and our Forum.

The Wiki is a comprehensive investing and personal finance reference that was built and is maintained by members of the Bogleheads® community. Many newcomers find that a good way to begin is by reading these Wiki articles: Getting Started and the Bogleheads' investment philosophy.

On the Forum, members discuss financial news and theory. The members also welcome less experienced investors who have questions about investing or who need help to develop their portfolios.

I'm sure even Jack would admit there is more than one road to get you to where you want to be.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Why aren't forum members following the "Stay the course" approach?]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:16 pm

FYI - I clarified the thread title.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
Regattamom

Re: [Why aren't forum members following the "Stay the course" approach?]

Post by Regattamom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:18 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:16 pm
FYI - I clarified the thread title.
Thank you.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:19 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Tdubs wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Tell us more about that little transaction.
Let's not dwell on the past, shall we?