What do you guys think of Raoul Pal's view of an unfunded pension crisis?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
bizkitgto

What do you guys think of Raoul Pal's view of an unfunded pension crisis?

Post by bizkitgto »

From Real Vision:
How can ordinary people behaving rationally create a generational threat? Raoul Pal, in his role as CEO and co-founder of Global Macro Investor, joins Real Vision to explain the interconnected problem of the everything bubble and the coming retirement crisis to answer the question, “why do we invest?” He explains in detail how the baby boomer generation, through the rational and reasonable behavior of seeking to live and retire comfortably, has fueled the creation of a massive financial bubble that touches nearly every corner of the economy as pensions take more and more risk. Pal breaks down the crucial demographic, economic, and political trends that have combined to create the problem and suggests potential solutions for Baby Boomers, Millennials, and Gen Xers to get out door before the fire of the coming recession. Filmed on February 4, 2020.
https://youtu.be/pkB5ugK0YDY
Keep it simple: 20% BND, 50% VTI and 30% VXUS
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: What do you guys think of Raoul Pal's view of an unfunded pension crisis?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

There is no new information in there. There will be a correction one day, when? when the music stops. What happens after a correction? a new beginning. What then? my crystal ball is cloudy.

Do you have an opinion on it? How is your question personal and actionable?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

It's news to me that pensions are taking "more and more" risk. They should have done that in 2009. They'd have quadrupled their money like the rest of us.
This time is the same
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Ru Paul ?
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

bizkitgto wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:27 pm From Real Vision:
How can ordinary people behaving rationally create a generational threat? Raoul Pal, in his role as CEO and co-founder of Global Macro Investor, joins Real Vision to explain the interconnected problem of the everything bubble and the coming retirement crisis to answer the question, “why do we invest?” He explains in detail how the baby boomer generation, through the rational and reasonable behavior of seeking to live and retire comfortably, has fueled the creation of a massive financial bubble that touches nearly every corner of the economy as pensions take more and more risk. Pal breaks down the crucial demographic, economic, and political trends that have combined to create the problem and suggests potential solutions for Baby Boomers, Millennials, and Gen Xers to get out door before the fire of the coming recession. Filmed on February 4, 2020.
I do not think highly of his view.
Forester

Post by Forester »

bizkitgto wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:27 pm From Real Vision:
He is a bond bull. He could well be right, that the rest of the world is turning into Japan. Some of the things he says about the contrasting desires of young & old people hold true, in a sense young people are less materialistic.
Amateur Self-Taught Senior Macro Strategist
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

1) I'm not going to sit through 42 minutes of video. Does anyone have a link to a transcript I can look at?

2) If I had a pension, I guess I would be trying to figure out how to do due diligence on how secure it is, and reading up on the PBGC (Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation) and trying to understand how secure or shaky it is. Since I don't, I don't see how it concerns me directly.

3) Who is Raoul Pal? What is Global Macro Investor? globalmacroinvestor.com is small, Alexa doesn't have statistics on it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Thesaints wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:31 pm Ru Paul ?
Yeah, it's RuPaul telling everyone if they want to retire they'd better work! :twisted: :mrgreen:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
bb

Post by bb »

I listened to a few minutes of one of his vidoes where he stated:
1. No one is going to be buying new cars anymore,
2. We are going to be living in trailers and eating fast food,
3. Only the top 1% is going to be able to retire.

Hmmm
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Thesaints wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:31 pm Ru Paul ?
I was much more interested in reading Ru Paul's investment opinions than this other guy.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:38 pm 1) I'm not going to sit through 42 minutes of video. Does anyone have a link to a transcript I can look at?
If this is the same video, there is a link to a transcript on this page.
https://www.realvision.com/tv/shows/the ... ing-bubble

I doubt it's worth reading, though. Just another doom and gloom salesman.

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms