Balanced fund in a taxable account

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mario2222

Balanced fund in a taxable account

Post by Mario2222 »

We are saving money for our daughter in our bank savings account. Probably She will need the money within 6 years from now. My wife keeps asking me to move the money to Vanguard balanced fund Vbiax 60/40 US stocks/bonds.Is it a good idea to invest the money in Vanguard balanced fund vbiax? taxable account.Any recommendations? Thanks.
Last edited by Mario2222 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Re: Balanced fund in a taxable account

Post by bloom2708 »

6 years is generally too short a time frame for investing.

Would you be dismayed if the fund lost 30% or more over the next few years?

Differentiate saving vs investing.

High yield money market or CD will get you some return.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Put it in the tax managed balanced fund. VTMFX
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Mario2222 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 amIs it a good idea to invest the money in Vanguard balanced fund vbiax? taxable account.Any recommendations? Thanks.
From a purist standpoint, the bond portion of VBIAX is not tax efficient if that matters to you.

If you can't afford to lose any of this money (the principal) before your daughter gets it, then don't invest it; put it in something safe.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The problem with a balanced fund in a taxable account is that you are locked into its asset allocation. If you want to sell bonds (in order to hold fewer bonds, or a different type of bonds, or bonds in a different account), you have to sell stocks as well, paying a capital-gains tax. For example, if your daughter moves to NY, she will want to sell whatever bonds she has in her taxable account, and buy NY municipal bonds.

Thus, if you do want to hold both stocks and bonds (which is reasonable for money that will not all be needed in the next few years), hold separate stock and bond funds.
Wiki David Grabiner
Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer »

I have the Vanguard LifeStrategy Mod Growth fund, which is similar to the Balanced Index but with International. I have had this for many many many years with lots of $ in a taxable account and the yearly cap gains that it throws off isn't big and not a dealbreaker for me. The Balanced Index has paid out less in cap gains over the years than my fund, VSMGX.