- Pick a fancy name for your hedge fund. Show some creativity. A panel of esteemed judges* will choose the best. The importance of this will become clear shortly.
- Before 9 am EST on 5 Jan 2009, pick up to two stocks to go long and up to two to short. Equal dollar amounts in each position. (If you want only one position on one side at double the size, pick just one.)
- Common stock only. No bonds, no options, no funds.
- The universe to choose from is the S&P 500. No exceptions. If you're not sure, check here.
- No trades during the year. You're stuck with what you choose. Call it buy and hold. Or stay the course.
- Starting prices are the 2 Jan 2009 close, ending prices will be the 31 Dec 2009 close. (Adjustments may be made to either in case of crazy spreads, at my sole discretion.)
- Winner of the name contest deemed to purchase long positions at 1% discount and sell short positions at 1% premium!
- Dividends won't count because ...
- I have automated this to make it easy on myself.
The results table for this contest at Bogleheads is here. It will be updated daily.
* Wanna be a judge for best name? Send me a PM. No contestants, naturally.
[Edited to add pointer to S&P 500 list and Bogleheads result table.]