The Year End Return Thread

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
White Coat Investor

The Year End Return Thread

Post by White Coat Investor »

My retirement portfolio lost 31.62% for the year (I kept a pretty constant 75% equity throughout the year.)

Overall, counting my emergency funds, ESAs, UGMAs etc I'm down 22.24%.

The good news? I was able to contribute what I lost plus a little more.

Best asset class for the year? G fund at 3.81%

Worse asset class? EM at -64% Pretty rotten considering the fund was only down 52%. It was from bad timing on a tax-loss harvest (I had the money in another equity class that correlated well with EM over that time period, so no real loss there.)

Post yours if you like. Include your equity percentage also (or your range if you're one of those infamous market-timers.)

I hope 2009 is a little kinder, especially to those retirees with aggressive asset allocations.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
stan1

Post by stan1 »

-23.93% using Excel XIRR function

Target allocation was 60% equities, 37% bonds, 3% cash. Stayed pretty close to that by rebalancing most of the year. All of the 37% in bonds was in the TSP G Fund, so that certainly helped this year.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Thanks for your kind words:

"I hope 2009 is a little kinder, especially to those retirees with aggressive asset allocations."

My AA is 50/50, so I am only hurt by RMDs.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
craigr

Post by craigr »

My Permanent Portfolio was down -0.57% for the year not including living expenses withdrawn.

Allocation is largely similar to this:

25% Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (Ticker: VTI) -38.35%

25% iShares 1-3 Year Short Term Treasury Bond ETF (Ticker: SHY) +2.96%

25% iShares 20+ Year Long Term Treasury Bond ETF (Ticker: TLT) +28.28%

25% Gold Price appreciation for the year +4.92%
IMPORTANT NOTE: My old website crawlingroad{dot}com is no longer available or run by me.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

My retirement portfolio is down 25.12%. (80% stocks target)

My kids' college funds are up 4.11%. (0% stocks)
Last edited by Petrocelli on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
INDUBITABLY

Post by INDUBITABLY »

Down 19% overall for the year, but with many caveats, not the least of which is that I was out of the market for a while when I was trying to figure out what my AA should be, which funds I should hold, etc. My target allocation is 80% equities.
"Ah ha! Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!" - Dr. Zoidberg
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Down 24% in a year when I started with a 60%/40% equity/fixed ratio. I haven't had the courage to rebalance yet, so right now I'm about 45%/55%.

That may be where I stay, having learned something about my tolerance for risk. I can financially tolerate an even lower equity exposure, but I'm OK where I am for now.
Topic Author
White Coat Investor

craigr wrote:My Permanent Portfolio was down -0.57% for the year not including living expenses withdrawn.
I don't know if you're only referring to part of your portfolio, or if you changed into the permanent portfolio just before the year started.

It seems you had a different portfolio last year:
I'm personally in TM Intl + EM. Like many taxable investors, the FTSE index wasn't an option when I invested and now my gains are so high that it would never make economic sense to switch.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
How much of your portfolio is in index funds:

Almost 100%.
Well my point I guess is gold isn't as bad a people say. At the same time I wouldn't recommend you put a lot of money in it.

I'm not sure about you, but I'd consider 1/4 of my portfolio to be a lot of money in gold. :)

Either way, at least you were smart enough to put at least some of your money in something that did well this year. I'm just giving you a hard time (and I'm jealous if you really did switch to the permanent portfolio at the beginning of the year.)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Zander

Post by Zander »

I don't keep track - I never have and probably never will. Am I odd? :shock: :lol:

Truthfully, I just don't see the value of tracking minutiae like this. I have no control over the market and I am busy working, playing, and thoroughly enjoying my life. So why bother? I figure, I have an investment plan. I spent many hours formulating the plan. I follow the plan. It's pretty simple. The rest of the time (apart from the 5 minutes a day I scan the threads here) I live my life. :lol:

Best of luck to everyone in '09!

PS - I am in no way judging folks who choose to measure their portfolio performance. To each his own!
Midwest_Investor

Post by Midwest_Investor »

down 21%. My target is about 65:35 stock:bond

Best result:
-Those series I-Bonds purchased 6 to 8 years ago.

Worst result:
-RWR REIT index ETF. Tough Year for REITs.
-international didn't do much better
-actually, domestic stocks didn't do too well either.

Biggest disappointments:
-about 15% of my stock holding were 'out' of the market during a short part of the recovery while I tried to do a TLH wash sale thing. Remind me to never do that again. This mistake alone cost me about a 1% ding in my total return for the year.
-Lost 30% of what I had invested in a 'safe' short term bond fund (SWYSX). Luckily this holding was a small portion of my overall, but heck it was sold as a safe investment.
-Bob Brinker should give up on his market timing advice, and stick to the basics of investing.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

-21% with a 50/50 stock/bond portfolio. Heavy allocation to TIPS (on bond side) and foreign stocks (on stock side) contributed to the bad performance.

Does anyone know what the CPI-U is for 2008 or know when it will be calculated?
ruud

Post by ruud »

My IRR was -29.75% :( with an AA target of 80/20.

I had been planning on moving to 75/25 at the end of the year, I did not have to rebalance to do so, the market did it for me :(

--ruud
craigr

Post by craigr »

EmergDoc wrote:Either way, at least you were smart enough to put at least some of your money in something that did well this year. I'm just giving you a hard time (and I'm jealous if you really did switch to the permanent portfolio at the beginning of the year.)
I need to write up the entire affair of what I call my "Shoe Shine Boy" moment which happened in 2006 when I met a guy who quit his job because he was going into real estate flipping. It was that moment I realized I was taking on too much equity risk and wanted to re-evaluate my entire portfolio, especially parts that had a lot of real estate exposure.

I spent almost the next year researching the new strategies to make sure whatever I did met my needs. I took the tax hit in 2006/2007 to slowly adjust my portfolio to my new allocation because I was taking on far too much equity risk for what I required. I was mostly converted by the end of 2007 and fully converted by 2008 with a small allocation left to some leftover international index which was part of my 25% equity holding and I was OK having. I'm a largely taxable investor so I need to do things slowly and deliberately to manage tax costs.

I am 100% in index funds where indexing makes sense (stocks and ST Treasury bonds). I am not in index funds where it doesn't make sense (such as LT Treasuries).

[Long explanation deleted]

In a way I was lucky. But if I had found this portfolio allocation years ago I would have been using it back then anyway because it suits me.

In any event, this was a good year for the allocation relatively speaking. However it won't likely last and next year there will be a new winner. I remember on the old board each year Bill Shultheis would come around and post his Coffeehouse portfolio results which were always winning back then. Seems every allocation has its day in the sun. Frankly, I don't expect this allocation to do well every year. I want it to do average on good years and not experience any large losses in bad years. In 2008 it fulfilled half of that expectation.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but you asked.

EDIT: Pulled out long winded explanation on portfolio adjustments.
Last edited by craigr on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My old website crawlingroad{dot}com is no longer available or run by me.
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

Down 17%

With 30% equity, 5% Commodities,65% Fixed , new money being add to equity with the intent to bring the portfolio to a 35/5/60 allocation.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

Down 27.5%.

50/50 Equity/Bond allocation.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Thanks for jumping on this EmergDoc.

On my 3/4 stock, 1/4 fixed portfolio for 2008: total return, -27.7%; XIRR, -29.7%.
oneleaf wrote:Does anyone know what the CPI-U is for 2008 or know when it will be calculated?
It will be published mid January oneleaf, so to get an "official" real return figure on our portfolios we'll have to wait a couple more weeks. For what it's worth, or not, my guess is -1 to 1% for the year.

:beer Best wishes for a happy & prosperous new year to All, Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL
Topic Author
White Coat Investor

oneleaf wrote:
Does anyone know what the CPI-U is for 2008 or know when it will be calculated?
http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Cons ... entCPI.asp
Ron

Post by Ron »

Our respective Vanguard accounts show a -22.95% for me, -19.98% for my wife for 2008. That's only part of the story...

Most importantly (at least to me :lol: ) is that our average annual return (measured from 1990 through 2008) show average annual returns of +8.40 for me, +7.66 for my wife (I'm a bit more "creative" :roll: ) and while I show greater losses, I also show better gains over the years.

So, at least in "my world", we've had 19 "measured years" 16 with gains, 3 with losses. Computed returns do not include current year annual contributions. Of course, the other two years of losses were 2001/2002.

I don't have the detail year by year for 1982 through 1989, but I know overall we had gains. My year-end total for 1990 is much greater than the total invested for the period ('82 - '90), and we've maxed out our respective IRA's ever since we started. This indicates that for most of a 27-year period, we've had overall positive returns.

As far as our joint AA (I'm retired; my wife will be, shortly), our "early retirement" AA is at 60/40, but is currently at 55/45 due to the current market. I did not rebalance, nor did I sell any equities for the year. A portion of that 45% bond/cash position is used for my current retirement income.

There has been a lot of discussion on these threads (especially during the latter part of this year) of market timing, or the classic theme "this time it's different". I'm trying to show for the long term (at least in my world) there will always be those "aw sh--" periods of time :lol: but I still belive in the long-term view. Sure, I sold at times (for instance, a few years ago when I was planning for retirement, and went from an 80/20 to 60/40, and creating my retirement income cash buffer) but I don't change just because of a turn in the market for an extended period of time.

How do I know I'm doing the right thing (in my life)? Simple; my long term stats show that I have in the past, and I sleep well in the current market 8) ...

- Ron
Last edited by Ron on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

66% stock (40% int'l), 9% REIT (50% int'l), 25% bond.

XIRR -30.8%

Rebalanced.

Sleeping well.
Midwest_Investor

Post by Midwest_Investor »

I forgot to add...

My portfolio (overall) is within 1% of where it was on January 1, 2006. Wow, it's like the last 3 years just didn't exist.

(Obviously I'm behind in real dollars since slight inflation has taken a bite)
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I come up with about -25% dollar weighted and -21% time weighted.

This is with about 50/50 for a target. Actual stock percentage was about 47-48% a year ago and is the same now. At the Nov 20 low, we were down to 43% equities.

The 50% bonds included significant allocations to corporates and high yield.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
paulob

Post by paulob »

Three different portfolios:

The largest portfolio is our combined IRA's, down 2.7%.

Market timer (sectors) here, target is 100% invested. However, as a momentum investor, I am currently 20% long bonds and 14% TIPS (across the IRA's and 401-k's combined).

2008 return benefited the most from leveraged, inverse funds. I know they have not been around a long time, but this was my first significant investment in them.

2nd largest portfolio is our 401-k's down 20%. An illustration that momentum investing doesn't thrive in recessionary times.

3rd portfolio is my son's IRA. Positive return of 10.7% (XIRR)!
Due to the small size of the portfolio, it is very concentrated. Over the life of the portfolio (>8 years), this concentration has outperformed my own investments. It is resulting in my own strategy continuing to evolve.

His target is 100% equity. At the moment, 27% long bonds and 14% TIPS.
Last edited by paulob on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Our 60/40 portfolio is down 23.4% for 2008. I added back in all new investments, 12K for Roth's and new money added to wife's 401(k). This looks in line with others that had a 60/40.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
SamB

Post by SamB »

Down 25.6%

This brings the 20-year geometric mean down to 6.6% and the arithmetic mean down to 7.5%.

Sam
norm

Post by norm »

Down 26.6%. Changed AA from 55/45 to 40/60 in October which is more in keeping with my age and acceptance of my tolerance for risk.
ramsfan

Post by ramsfan »

Zander wrote:I don't keep track - I never have and probably never will. Am I odd? :shock: :lol:

Truthfully, I just don't see the value of tracking minutiae like this. I have no control over the market and I am busy working, playing, and thoroughly enjoying my life. So why bother? I figure, I have an investment plan. I spent many hours formulating the plan. I follow the plan. It's pretty simple. The rest of the time (apart from the 5 minutes a day I scan the threads here) I live my life. :lol:

Best of luck to everyone in '09!

PS - I am in no way judging folks who choose to measure their portfolio performance. To each his own!
Zander, interesting post.

Would you mind going into a bit more detail on the tupe of investment plan you put in place that allows you to spend so little time on your investments?

I am very interested in this topic, and would guess that "freedom from effort" played a role in your investment plan, and would be curious what your plan is that enables this.

Thanks in advance!
matt

Post by matt »

-11.1%. Not too bad considering that I had no exposure to nominal Treasuries and did no shorting.
Finn

Post by Finn »

Down 10.8% for the year.

Retired

AA is 25/75, though the market has made that 20/80. Rebalancing is supposed to happen in January, according to the plan.

Happy New Year to all.

Finn
wilson99

Post by wilson99 »

down 23.3% on 60 stock/ 30 bond/ 10 cash in 9 vanguard funds.
changed from 40% bonds to 30% bonds/ 10% mm.

steve
rokid

Post by rokid »

IRR 29.97%

75/25. I decided to buy REITS and EM in August. :D
dcd

Post by dcd »

Down 23%. Goal allocation 60/40. Currently checking in at 58/42.

I have to admit, I had a lump in my throat for awhile but all I did was rebalance and TLH.
Denny
MahoningValley

Post by MahoningValley »

Down 25% (more or less) AA 60/40>>>55/45 (more or less)
Last edited by MahoningValley on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Retired 6 years soon to be 65.
Portfolio -11.7%
30/70 allocation +/- 5% during the year. Working on my IP for 2009 over next month with a view for little if any change to my current strategy of 30/70.

Happy New Year
Sam
Ilovevolleyball

Post by Ilovevolleyball »

60 Stock 40% Bond

aprx 25% of stock is international
aprx 50% tips/ total market

not exact figures because only going by what morningstar gives me and not by doing all the math. :oops:

-24.28%

Here's hoping we all have better years to come!!!

Mike
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

Mine was down about 24% for the year, which was due mostly to pure luck. In October 2007, I upped my fixed asset allocation from about 20% to around 35%. This helped to tamp down the drop just a little. Good luck to one and all in 2009.
tonythered

Post by tonythered »

Just checked Quicken. Not including my CDs (which Quicken doesn't track automatically, and I'm too lazy to manually enter them), I am down 27.9% from Jan 1 to Dec 31, 2008. I'd guess the CDs only would bump me up a few percent, so let's call it about 25% down.

I only really started investing in February 2008 (worst. timing. ever.), then I completely shifted my shotgun-approach and adopted the Bogleheads way circa April (made tweaks throughout the year for tax efficiency, simplicity, etc.).

Interestingly, you told me to sell my individual stocks at a GREAT time. I've mentioned here before, at the time, I made 20-30% on 3 individual stocks (had some big losers -Merck and GE -as well) and was somewhat afraid to sell. The Bogleheads saved me - I just checked, and some of those same stocks that I exited by the end of April are now down between 30-60% each. Thanks, friends!

BTW, I'm 65% stocks and 35% bonds. I've been buying quite a lot during major drops to maintain the AA, so that's helped cushion me a bit (and I sure hope it pays off 10-20 years down the road!). I'm currently within .14% of my AA, which is amazing luck (or incredible planning on my part!).

Happy new year to all!
SilentThunder

Post by SilentThunder »

+1.0%. One of those bad Market Timers! :P Current AA is 50% TIPS/26% Stable Value/24% Cash. If I had stayed with my previous buy and hold AA of 55% US/25% Int'l/20% Bonds I'd have been -30.5%.
prentis

Mine

Post by prentis »

Down 16% for '08. Started with a 35/65% equity/fixed split, all indexed. Ended with 29/71%. Will be rebalancing back to plan this week.
A good landing is one that you can walk away from.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

i heard a great quote on Bloomberg Radio this morning -

“2008 was a year when even the liars lost money.” - Ted Weisberg
ziggy29

Post by ziggy29 »

In my current employer's 401K:

binarysemaphore

Post by binarysemaphore »

How do you folks find out yearly return ? I logged into Vanguard and it shows me returns till 11/30/2008. :?:
spazz

Post by spazz »

My losses aren't too bad... -13.8% for the year (70-30 allocation)
Still happily DCA throughout this whole mess. I hope to add more to my portfolio from my grandmothers inheritance - godbless her
paulob

Post by paulob »

binarysemaphore wrote:How do you folks find out yearly return ? I logged into Vanguard and it shows me returns till 11/30/2008. :?:
I put my portfolio beginning and ending values plus contributions into a spreadsheet and calculate return using XIRR.

I can't use VG for two reasons: I manage my wife and my IRA's as one portfolio, VG does not allow me to view them combined.

Also, my IRA is held at more than one custodian, which leads to the XIRR calculation, even if I did not need to combine my portfolio with my wife.
Paul
binarysemaphore

Post by binarysemaphore »

paulob wrote:
binarysemaphore wrote:How do you folks find out yearly return ? I logged into Vanguard and it shows me returns till 11/30/2008. :?:
I put my portfolio beginning and ending values plus contributions into a spreadsheet and calculate return using XIRR.
Any spreadsheet templates available to do this for the lazy ones (something where I just need to enter in the numbers)? :D
Regal 56

Post by Regal 56 »

Down 33.55% with a 80/20 portfolio. If I were a few years from retirement, I'd be jumping out a window. Since I'm not, I see this as an expensive but valuable education. You can bet I won't be at 80/20 when I'm closer to retirement.

I'm doing the Paul Merriman idea for small potato investors: buying one fund at a time as I can afford it, building toward an eventual buy-and-hold portfolio of funds. (I suppose I could get a Target Retirement fund and be done with it, but Hell, that's no fun, so I'm building my own.) Just pulled the trigger on a small cap fund this morning.

Stay the course, even if it goes over a cliff. That's me.
rokid

Post by rokid »

rokid wrote:IRR 29.97%

75/25. I decided to buy REITS and EM in August. :D
Oops -29.97! :oops: -----Jim
ziggy29

Post by ziggy29 »

rokid wrote:Oops -29.97! :oops: -----Jim

I chose to assume that's what you meant, because the alternative would likely mean you had your money invested with the next Bernie Madoff.
rokid

Post by rokid »

ziggy29 wrote:
rokid wrote:Oops -29.97! :oops: -----Jim

I chose to assume that's what you meant, because the alternative would likely mean you had your money invested with the next Bernie Madoff.
Or, I was the next Bernie Madoff! 8) -----Jim
paulob

Post by paulob »

binarysemaphore wrote:
paulob wrote:
Any spreadsheet templates available to do this for the lazy ones (something where I just need to enter in the numbers)? :D
Not quite what you asked for, but try this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel ... 11033.aspx

Make sure you take note of the add-in suggested.
Paul
james22

Post by james22 »

-44.1% (all-equity). 8)