Current favorite play money stocks.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Current favorite play money stocks.

Post by TheTimeLord »

There is a thread on buying XOM so I decided to expand it to what play money stocks are you looking at buying? I am looking at 2, LK and WORK. Both are probably the definition of play money stocks.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
ny_rn

Re: Current favorite play money stocks.

Post by ny_rn »

Cloudflare (NET).
financeperchance

Post by financeperchance »

Boston Omaha (ticker: BOMN), a mini-Berkshire Hathaway run by Warren Buffett's grand nephew. It has investments:
1) in highway billboards, which is a wide-moat business and is where most of their cash flows are coming from
2) surety insurance (when a plumber says he's "licensed and bonded" that's surety insurance)
3) a small Louisiana bank that does high-interest auto loans
4) a property development firm that uses a low-capital business model.

It's run conservatively, with no debt on the parent company's balance sheet, and I think it should do well over time.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

F, GE, DOC, YOLO, ANGL
theorist

Post by theorist »

I was contemplating buying some BRK B shares just for the fun of it — I’ve heard a lot about Berkshire Hathaway, and it has a good history and seemingly stable future. But of course no one really knows what’ll happen when Buffett and Munger cede control. (That on top of the usual fact that the future is notoriously hard to predict in all cases!)
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

theorist wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am I was contemplating buying some BRK B shares just for the fun of it — I’ve heard a lot about Berkshire Hathaway, and it has a good history and seemingly stable future. But of course no one really knows what’ll happen when Buffett and Munger cede control. (That on top of the usual fact that the future is notoriously hard to predict in all cases!)
I think a quick google search will probably provide you the names of the 2 individuals scheduled to take over and some information on the investment portfolios they have been running.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

theorist wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am I was contemplating buying some BRK B shares just for the fun of it — I’ve heard a lot about Berkshire Hathaway, and it has a good history and seemingly stable future. But of course no one really knows what’ll happen when Buffett and Munger cede control. (That on top of the usual fact that the future is notoriously hard to predict in all cases!)
Berkshire shares are not fun.

They just move like a giant index fund, at least until Buffet dies. Boring....

For fun, buy cannabis stocks.
60% Global Market Stocks (VT,FM) | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS 10% cash || RSU + ESPP | LMP TIPS/STRIPS
Forester

Post by Forester »

Bit of a bloody nose on tanker stock $STNG but I'm holding on for the next results. I also bought some De La Rue, they're priced for bankruptcy but even if there's no turnaround I can't see the British state not stepping in, in some form. A punt on recovery and/or inflation.
theorist

Post by theorist »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 am
I think a quick google search will probably provide you the names of the 2 individuals scheduled to take over and some information on the investment portfolios they have been running.
You mean Todd and Ted, who run investments? What about Ajit Jain, too old?
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

financeperchance wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:49 am Boston Omaha (ticker: BOMN), a mini-Berkshire Hathaway run by Warren Buffett's grand nephew. It has investments:
1) in highway billboards, which is a wide-moat business and is where most of their cash flows are coming from
2) surety insurance (when a plumber says he's "licensed and bonded" that's surety insurance)
3) a small Louisiana bank that does high-interest auto loans
4) a property development firm that uses a low-capital business model.

It's run conservatively, with no debt on the parent company's balance sheet, and I think it should do well over time.
Still in?