Personal Capital / Investment Tools

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
mowill74

Personal Capital / Investment Tools

Post by mowill74 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Is anyone using Personal Capital and their free investment tools? If so, any thoughts or advice on their free tools? If not, does anyone know of any comparable tools?

cogito

Re: Personal Capital / Investment Tools

Post by cogito » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm

I've been using them for three years, and have found them to be the best in the space for ease-of-use and convenience. Far better than Mint, even just for personal finance. Sometimes their investment tools don't allocate your categories properly, but you can fix it manually. They'll call you once in a while, which is annoying, but I've blocked their number and now it just goes to voicemail.

Some posters here get worked up about security, but its the 21st century and I'll take my chances. I'll continue to use indefinitely, unless they really get pressure from the VC's to turn on the money spigot, and start ratcheting up the annoyances with more calls or less features.

renegade06

Post by renegade06 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 pm

I just started using Personal Capital and I think is (by far) the best tool to get a comprehensive financial picture. It really helped me better understand where my money is allocated. I did get the call to schedule a meeting with an advisor. I had a call with them to give them a fair shot but do not intend to use their service. Their strategy (at least for me) is own 120 stocks and then hold a variety of sectors each weighted at 10%. These would be invested in low cost ETFs. I highly recommend using their free tools... I have too imagine they will start charging for it at some point.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm

5 years with the software from PC. Very happy.

I link everything. Use 2 factor and a strong password.

Very good tools. I also have a PC Cash account. I use manual accounts for unlinkable things.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

renegade06

Post by renegade06 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Very good tools. I also have a PC Cash account. I use manual accounts for unlinkable things.
How do you like the PC Cash account?

koala2

Post by koala2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by koala2 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

countdrak

Post by countdrak » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm

I loved PC tools but they would call me non-stop to setup my free appt with their financial advisor. Even after asking them several times to take me off their list, I still had rude persistent agents asking me to setup and appointment and leaving voicemails.

I eventually got sick of it and deleted it.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 pm

I use PC for expense tracking. I love it. I used to have my assets tracked there, but I use Vanguard for that now.

Since I removed my assets from PC, I have not received a phone call. (Wonder how long that will last.) :D
Trade the news and you will lose.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:21 pm

I find PC very useful. PC is the only tool that gives me a view of my AA across all of our accounts. It also has a retirement fee analyzer tells me that my average ER across 19 accounts is 0.03%. :D

I ignore their “advisor” calls. I get all the advice I need right here.

jriding

Post by jriding » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm

I have avoided PC sales calls by removing my phone number from my account profile.
Agree with other posters that the aggregated asset allocation is very useful.

danielc

Post by danielc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm

cogito wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm
Some posters here get worked up about security, but its the 21st century and I'll take my chances.
I don't follow that train of thought. Is it fashionable to be cavalier about security?

rascott

Post by rascott » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Also have used it for years. Best product out there in this space, IMHO. They call a handful of times throughout the year, but aren't aggressive. I may try their cash account.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 pm

There are many existing threads on Personal Capital already. Use the search function to dig them up.

Mint and Fidelity Full View are major competitors. You Need A Budget is similar but is strong in budgeting and expense tracking, and rather weak in investment tracking.

Those are the ones (I see) often discussed. Folks can chime in with any others I missed.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 am

countdrak wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm
I loved PC tools but they would call me non-stop to setup my free appt with their financial advisor. Even after asking them several times to take me off their list, I still had rude persistent agents asking me to setup and appointment and leaving voicemails.

I get a call about once a year from them along with the local Fidelity rep. I've sat down and listened to both companies pitch and PC was the better one by a bit. Once the agents saw the index funds at Fed/VG, plus the CD's/EE's/bills they both changed there pitch which was a pleasant surprise.

I turned them both down in the end but I do get one call once a year asking if anything has changed or can they help with anything else takes about 5 minutes. I get more calls from my banker's assistant than from PC a year so I don't find it to irritating.

It could be I'm just not that big of a fish for them hence the one call a year. I'm not the high end of the Boglehead spectrum by any means :greedy

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:08 am

renegade06 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

+1 on the PC Cash account?
I have a CITBank 1.80apy "Savings Builder" account there a bit of a pain tho.

DinkinFlicka

Post by DinkinFlicka » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:23 am

I used to use Personal Capital but I've since just moved to Google Sheets for asset allocation tracking. I've been doing this for about 7 months now. I update share counts once a month to get an idea if anything needs attention. Even that might be too frequent, but it's still a lot less checking than when I used Personal Capital.

I do miss getting unified credit card spend and cash balances in a single dashboard, but most of my accounts are at Chase so it's easy enough to use their app. Personal Capital also had some nice features of giving more granular asset allocation, like sectors, but I've realized

The convenience was nice, but I wasn't a fan of giving a third party all my login information for different financial services.

MMLC3

Post by MMLC3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 am

cogito wrote:
I've been using them for three years, and have found them to be the best in the space for ease-of-use and convenience. Far better than Mint, even just for personal finance. Sometimes their investment tools don't allocate your categories properly, but you can fix it manually. They'll call you once in a while, which is annoying, but I've blocked their number and now it just goes to voicemail.

Some posters here get worked up about security, but its the 21st century and I'll take my chances. I'll continue to use indefinitely, unless they really get pressure from the VC's to turn on the money spigot, and start ratcheting up the annoyances with more calls or less features.
Ditto

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 am

renegade06 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

PC Cash has been good. Easy transfers. Interest rate is competitive. There are places with a higher rate but it is better than the local bank.

If PC ever starts charging for their software I am a customer of sorts.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am

danielc wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm
cogito wrote:
Some posters here get worked up about security, but its the 21st century and I'll take my chances.
I don't follow that train of thought. Is it fashionable to be cavalier about security?
I'm not sure how someone mentioned they used Personal Capital and were satisfied with the security and another could make the leap that the first was being cavalier about security? Just for reference, Personal capital has one login process I am familiar with, they do not have options for an account login with regards to your security such as "very tight" "modest" or "cavalier."

edgeway

Post by edgeway » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am

countdrak wrote:

Suggestion: Put a fake phone number in your account. That's what I did and no more phone calls. :beer

queso

Post by queso » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 am

I've been using it for years and am generally happy with it other than the occasional calls (now blocked) and the fact that it takes them a long time to address linking issues that inevitably surface every now and then when you have a bunch of linked accounts. I have a feeling that the days of free are coming to an end though. I haven't seen it since and I am kicking myself for not taking a screenshot, but one time at login I got a pop-up message that said something to the effect of: are you enjoying Personal Capital, etc. and had a few buttons with various dollar amounts ($10, $15, etc.) and wanted me to select what I thought PC was worth to me a month if I had to pay for the service. Maybe they have too many of us using it that only want aggregation and no financial services and are looking to capitalize on the platform itself in the near future.

student

Post by student » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am

I use PC and Fidelity's tool. I found them essentially the same. What I do is I only manually input the data.

Tiguan

Post by Tiguan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44 am

edgeway wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am
countdrak wrote:

Suggestion: Put a fake phone number in your account. That's what I did and no more phone calls. :beer
That's what I did too! :wink:

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm

I am using Personal Capital for too long, however, I have never received a call from them! I have my correct phone number on file!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:23 pm

DinkinFlicka wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:23 am
I used to use Personal Capital but I've since just moved to Google Sheets for asset allocation tracking. I've been doing this for about 7 months now. I update share counts once a month to get an idea if anything needs attention. Even that might be too frequent, but it's still a lot less checking than when I used Personal Capital.

I do miss getting unified credit card spend and cash balances in a single dashboard, but most of my accounts are at Chase so it's easy enough to use their app. Personal Capital also had some nice features of giving more granular asset allocation, like sectors, but I've realized

The convenience was nice, but I wasn't a fan of giving a third party all my login information for different financial services.
I deleted all my links to Fido, VG, and Janus, but have maintained the links to my credit cards. Helps me to check if I need to direct cash back to my normally thin checking account.

cogito

Post by cogito » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm

danielc wrote:

No, I'm not being cavalier. I'm just quite comfortable with their encryption technology and willing to take the associated risks in exchange for convenience and time savings. All security is some kind of a trade-off between those two things. Others differ, that's fine, but I'm quite ok with using online aggregators for my financial accounts.

Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 am

queso wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 am
I've been using it for years and am generally happy with it other than the occasional calls (now blocked) and the fact that it takes them a long time to address linking issues that inevitably surface every now and then when you have a bunch of linked accounts. I have a feeling that the days of free are coming to an end though. I haven't seen it since and I am kicking myself for not taking a screenshot, but one time at login I got a pop-up message that said something to the effect of: are you enjoying Personal Capital, etc. and had a few buttons with various dollar amounts ($10, $15, etc.) and wanted me to select what I thought PC was worth to me a month if I had to pay for the service. Maybe they have too many of us using it that only want aggregation and no financial services and are looking to capitalize on the platform itself in the near future.
Really hope that monthly fee thing doesn’t end up being true

danielc

Post by danielc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am
danielc wrote:
cogito wrote:
I'm not sure how someone mentioned they used Personal Capital and were satisfied with the security and another could make the leap that the first was being cavalier about security? Just for reference, Personal capital has one login process I am familiar with, they do not have options for an account login with regards to your security such as "very tight" "modest" or "cavalier."

No no no. I'm not saying anything about Personal Capital. I don't know them and have no opinion about them. I was responding to cogito's comment.

danielc

Post by danielc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:12 am

cogito wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm
danielc wrote:

No, I'm not being cavalier. I'm just quite comfortable with their encryption technology and willing to take the associated risks in exchange for convenience and time savings. All security is some kind of a trade-off between those two things. Others differ, that's fine, but I'm quite ok with using online aggregators for my financial accounts.
I have no idea how you could evaluate their implementation of encryption, or why you feel that that is the most important weakness, but that's besides the point. My point was that it is very odd that you said "it's the 21st century and I'll take my chances", as if the 21st century is the era of taking chances... Well, it's not important.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:09 am

Nathan Drake wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 am
queso wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 am
Really hope that monthly fee thing doesn’t end up being true
I clicked the X to close the window rather than pick an option because I was afraid it might automatically throw me into a subscription at that amount and I wanted some time to poke around and see if there was anything else online about it. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard, but a quick search didn't show anything and I figured if it was a thing I would see the box again soon enough. It's been a few weeks though and it hasn't come back.