Value of Active and Ongoing Reading of the Bogleheads Forums

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Scerabi

Value of Active and Ongoing Reading of the Bogleheads Forums

Post by Scerabi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38 am

At a point where I'm trying to decide whether an ongoing review of these forums is helpful or detrimental to my continued learning and in sticking with my investment strategy and would like others to chime in; specifically with what you've learned by reading these forums after having decided upon a long term investment strategy.

Part of me says there are many areas where I could use further learnin'. Another part of me says that I'm at a point where I've a solid plan and need to stop, cut out all distracting noise, and simply stick to the plan. I've completed the cycle of (1) thinking I can beat the market, (2) making investing complicated, (3) learning that I can't beat the market, and then (4) switching to a MUCH more simple and standardized approach that's slightly customized based on my research and personal preferences (e.g. roughly the % that would go into bonds is allocated towards Small Cap Value ETFs).

This site has been extremely valuable and I don't ever plan leave for good. After 25 years of casual market and investment study I was amazed that I was able to fully understand and execute relatively complex options strategies but had never seriously thought about which asset classes to place in which account types (ROTH vs IRA vs Taxable) to minimize taxes.

Thank you!!

RickBoglehead

Re: Value of Active and Ongoing Reading of the Bogleheads Forums

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:40 am

If you stop ongoing reading of the forum, where will you learn about things like the late 2019 tax law changes that impact retirement accounts and the strategies to follow?

Just one example.

But yes, the noise can get overwhelming at times.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 am

1 option:
All the great things you've learned . . . pass it on as you can by posting in threads to help others.
(set some goals to bring your post count from 2 to "livesoft levels".)
(posts can either be helpful, entertaining, or an irritant. :oops: . . . . )

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 am

Came for the investment advice, staying for the furniture and power tools advice :beer

Randtor

Post by Randtor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:47 am

When I found this forum it blew me away. Good people offering good advice to help other people. You just don’t find that so much anymore in this world. I have been on a quest to realign my portfolio since last March, and realign my thinking as well. Even when I get everything the way I want it, I’ll continue to read, learn and educate myself because the knowledge that flows through this portal is infinitely helpful.
I had a professor in grad college many years ago who said, “When you think you know everything there is to know, it’s time to hang it up, cuz you’re dangerous.”
As they all say here, YMMV !
"Whats done is done, and can't be undone"

Topic Author
Scerabi

Post by Scerabi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:51 am

Thanks Rick. Good point. Not saying I won't pop in here every few weeks to couple months. Mostly trying to get others opinion on what additional value you daily/weekly visitors receive by constantly reading and review of these forums.

Please know, I realize that some can hold strong to their plan regardless of the "noise", others enjoy teaching and discussing investment theory and strategies, and that this isn't a "fair and balanced" question due to the fact that most responses will be likely come from active forum participants who are inclined towards visiting this site often and may take some slight offense to my suggestion that this sight can be detrimental towards sticking with and obtaining their investment objective.

:sharebeer

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am

It takes very little reading to become comfortable with a basic, fundamentally sound, investment strategy.

What I come here for are inspiration, unbiased advice, and good-natured banter with mostly like-minded people who most importantly are willing to help. Many things discussed here are not talked about openly with even the closest of friends.

Topic Author
Scerabi

Post by Scerabi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 am
1 option:
All the great things you've learned . . . pass it on as you can by posting in threads to help others.

Thanks Sandtrap. I fully agree and appreciate your "goal" suggestion/dig and will take you up on that! I'm sure this topic has likely popped up many times but, with my two post count, :wink: I hadn't seen it before and am very curious to get everyone's thoughts; especially from those experienced members like you.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:40 am
If you stop ongoing reading of the forum, where will you learn about things like the late 2019 tax law changes that impact retirement accounts and the strategies to follow?
By coming back once a year and typing "2020 tax law changes" into the Google/the bogleheads search box and spending 30 minutes reading various blog posts and forum threads from the past year.

Topic Author
Scerabi

Post by Scerabi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:07 am

Quercus Palustris wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 am
Came for the investment advice, staying for the furniture and power tools advice :beer
That's awesome! I feel that a both healthy and intelligent community without an overabundance of the tribal qualities "us (right) vs. them (enemies)" found in MANY other places is very precious and difficult to find in today's world.

Also a student of woodworking so am interested in both furniture and power tools!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:10 am

Scerabi wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 am
1 option:

Thanks Sandtrap. I fully agree and appreciate your "goal" suggestion/dig and will take you up on that! I'm sure this topic has likely popped up many times but, with my two post count, :wink: I hadn't seen it before and am very curious to get everyone's thoughts; especially from those experienced members like you.
Everyone has some areas of expertise, education, life experience, and passion.
IE: investment finance, accumulation of wealth, Real Estate and R/E development, government pension plans, tax laws, etc.
The forum has retired CPA's, bankers, economists, lawyers, doctors, plumbers, builders, etc. And, many advise and contribute in those areas as they can. Over time, you'll see them and perhaps PM and get to know them.
*Experienced members have a 5+ digit post count. . . :oops: (kidding).
Following in those footsteps can be extremely rewarding and also further one's own knowledge (personal growth).

Above all, learn, grow, and have fun.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

goingup

Post by goingup » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:10 am

Scerabi-
I think I understand what you're getting at. If hanging out here makes you want to tinker with your portfolio, then that's a negative.

It's truly better to set up your portfolio, then leave it alone. William Bernstein (Dr.) likes to say that a portfolio is a like a bar of soap--the more it's handled, the less there is!

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 am

95% of the discussion on the forum is endless repetition of old arguments. Check in from time to time for the other 5%.

Third Son

Post by Third Son » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:25 am

Having not been solidly in the market over my working career but saving dutifully in my workplace 401(K) and maximizing my savings over the years, I am now days away from retirement. I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I first realized I had to make my life's savings last the rest of mine and DW's days. I was so fortunate to find this site through the ER forum and quickly discovered that, in fact, I could do this on my own. I am still a bit nervous about the whole prospect of putting my faith in the market, but learning what I have read here over the last month or so has made significant sense to me.

Since rolling my 401(k) to an IRA in November and continuing to fund my Roth I have seen a modest growth in my portfolio already ( I am at 40/60 index stock/ bonds). That is because the markets are still doing very well. I find that bond results are boring (as they should be) since they need to be there for a while in order to work properly. I am not reactionary, so if the market drops significantly, I will hang in there and use cash reserves when I need them. I have had a 401(k) since the early 80s so I have seen some ups and downs. Fortunately I didn't care back then and just ignored it 8-)

I look forward to the days where I won't check things as frequently and just do periodic re-balances of my AA. I also will probably back away from the forums eventually as I become more relaxed and confident in my decisions as opposed to going with a FA. That is just the way my brain works. I can't justify paying someone good money for something that I can most likely do as well or better myself. I do a have a master plan of how I will manage WR, conversions and SS from a lot of the information I have learned here.

I do appreciate the emotional neutrality of the forums here that are, in my opinion, moderated extremely well. Money should not be an emotional thing if we are to be successful. The spirit of these forums reinforce that.

Thanks folks...that was rather cathartic :beer
Last edited by Third Son on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

Third Son

Post by Third Son » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:27 am

..........................deleted...sorry double post
Last edited by Third Son on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:27 am

If you stop reading this forum you will never be able to figure out when you should start taking social security!

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:38 am

Quercus Palustris wrote:
+ cars :happy

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:45 am

It's not a binary decision. If the noise gets too annoying and the power tools discussions don't interest you, just scan the list of topics and click only on the ones that deal with hard-core investing.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53 am

Because where else would I get to argue in favor of real estate investing??? BiggerPockets is just an echo chamber in that regards; here I have a challenge. :beer
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Topic Author
Scerabi

Post by Scerabi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:15 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am
It takes very little reading to become comfortable with a basic, fundamentally sound, investment strategy.

What I come here for are inspiration, unbiased advice, and good-natured banter with mostly like-minded people who most importantly are willing to help. Many things discussed here are not talked about openly with even the closest of friends.
I wish that were true in my case! After reading One Up on Wall Street at 14 I was certain I could beat the market. Was roughly 28 before I realized that I couldn't.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:27 am

Scerabi wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:15 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am

I wish that were true in my case! After reading One Up on Wall Street at 14 I was certain I could beat the market. Was roughly 28 before I realized that I couldn't.
I should have clarified it takes very little reading on bogleheads.org to become comfortable with basic, fundamentally sound, investment strategy.

It also takes very little reading to become comfortable with incredibly risky "investing".

Steadfast

Post by Steadfast » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:30 am

I read here all the time, but that pesky 3 month cooling off period for any changes to my IPS keeps me from being affected by all the different ideas.
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.

alluringreality

Post by alluringreality » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 am

Steadfast wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:30 am
that pesky 3 month cooling off period for any changes to my IPS keeps me from being affected by all the different ideas.
Yeah, there is zero chance I would have opened a Roth IRA if I hadn't been reading this forum, so it might make sense for me to do something similar.

Decisions or considerations influenced by the forum:
- Suggestion to read William Bernstein - so far he seems to have a nuanced look at investing, and I tend to agree with what I've read to this point
- Opened Roth IRA in 2020, rather than sticking with all traditional and taxable accounts as previously decided
- Bought I Bonds in 2019 with part of high yield savings money, even after missing purchase in October before the fixed rate drop
- Reconsidering if it makes sense to setup EE bond ladder and/or reduce equity exposure over 25 years, partly based on The Glidepath Illusion paper from Javier Estrada
- Selected more of a middle-ground for 2020 investments than I was thinking during initial posts, slightly backing off my original thoughts about investing more in equity right now while carrying secured debt
- Reconsidered peer to peer lending for a bit, although other income types of bonds probably make more sense for my preferences (mainly fallen angels, EM bonds, and corporate)

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:01 pm

Scerabi wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38 am
At a point where I'm trying to decide whether an ongoing review of these forums is helpful or detrimental to my continued learning and in sticking with my investment strategy and would like others to chime in; specifically with what you've learned by reading these forums after having decided upon a long term investment strategy.

Part of me says there are many areas where I could use further learnin'. Another part of me says that I'm at a point where I've a solid plan and need to stop, cut out all distracting noise, and simply stick to the plan. I've completed the cycle of (1) thinking I can beat the market, (2) making investing complicated, (3) learning that I can't beat the market, and then (4) switching to a MUCH more simple and standardized approach that's slightly customized based on my research and personal preferences (e.g. roughly the % that would go into bonds is allocated towards Small Cap Value ETFs).

This site has been extremely valuable and I don't ever plan leave for good. After 25 years of casual market and investment study I was amazed that I was able to fully understand and execute relatively complex options strategies but had never seriously thought about which asset classes to place in which account types (ROTH vs IRA vs Taxable) to minimize taxes.

Thank you!!
If add'l reading/learning makes you want to tinker - then you still have much to learn. So I'd say you should come back here to keep learning. If you're truly "set" with your AA and are comfortable with it - why would reading what others have to say suddenly make you uncomfortable with what you've learned? And if it did - then perhaps that was something you needed to learn?
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Scerabi wrote:
This Forum has enabled me to define an investment strategy in the “draw down phase” of my life.

I picked up a lot of information from various sources in the “accumulation phase” and didn’t make too many mistakes, mostly because my 401(k) had choices that were both limited and excellent. But I was clueless as to how I would work through things in the draw down time. This Forum and the Wiki helped me out immensely as I thought through draw down.

I feel very good about what I’ve put together for an Investment Policy. I read the Forum often and continue to gather information, but don’t feel the need to change my approach. Because of the solid grounding, I expect that any future changes to my IPS will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:49 pm

Scerabi wrote:

Thank you!!
Lots of people on this forum aren't here just to learn, but also to teach. Pay it forward, perhaps?

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:05 pm

I would continue to visit this forum.

There are many, many good posts that may be helpful to you.

Some posts may be of no value to you, but I would not take the position that all of no value.

Keep coming; you probably won't find a better site with unbiased information.

Boglehead on!

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 am

Any topic or question more often than not this forum and the participants reinforce that “you” the poster are not alone. It has been a generous and constructive community for which individuals can learn or contribute based upon their individual comfort. Minimal conflicts of interests and thus objective information that can be vetted by the community of participants at large in a civil manner, very refreshing.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Came for the help. Stayed to help.

During my investor education, I was forced to learn my true risk tolerance. Too little risk and I'm bored enough to be dangerous to my wealth. Too much risk and I worry enough to backslide. Took a while to learn what was "just right". Don't mind sharing my experience if it helps new investors put bounds on their choices, and they understand that it's okay for them to chance their minds and direction after more learning and experience.

Serendipity. One day, read about a member's simple script used to do monthly rebalancing. Gave me the idea to incorporate something similar, as trigger events (=if condition...), alerts (..."Do this."), and comments (Notes: Why action is needed.) into my Excel investment tracking workbook. Life is sooo much easier now that Excel is doing my checking and remembering.

I've also appreciated learning from others' experiences with favorite coffees and kitchen knives.

So while I'm frequently on the forum, it's now more for entertainment (learning something interesting) and helping where I can. Haven't needed any investment help for a long time.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:11 pm

I probably spend toooo much time on this forum. I find it fun, but it does take away from other things I can and should be doing in my life. At the same time, I consistently keep learning new things.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Like everything else there is likely a point of diminishing marginal returns. I posted my portfolio asking for advice and got four responses (thank those who did respond). I was kind of hoping for more input but you get what you get for free.

Once you get past the basics in my opinion it becomes another message board. It can be fun. You might pick up something or two. A good deal on a credit card. Better CD rate. Etc. Or it can be less than worthwhile. A lot of people bragging about how rich they (allegedly) are. Some posters beating the same drum again and again.

Again, it is free. And it is the internet. You aren't paying for it. Take what you can get and leave the rest. Just like the dinner table, push back your chair once you have had your fill.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 pm

I hang around because if I do, one day I will learn what a "backdoor Roth IRA" is. I refuse to look it up.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Scerabi,

As much as I have learned and continue to learn form the Bogleheads forum, I realize that at this point some of it becomes entertainment/habit and/or filling the digital void. I think for some people reducing the frequency of check-ins is a healthy thing. For others, as Sandtrap noted, one takes on the role of teacher rather than learner. No one right answer. Do what works for you.

That said, my pet peeve is posters who are too lazy (Lazy? Am I being judgmental? Really? Me?) to search the forum and just post the same question that has already been brilliantly answered several times over the past 1-2 years.

Bottom line: I am incredibly grateful for the thoughtful discussion that the Bogleheads' Forum facilitates.

jsprag

Post by jsprag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

The final, definitive, canonical, unassailable, unanimous, and irrefutable answer to the question of “How much international?” could appear any day now.

You wouldn’t want to miss that.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:42 am

I'm a geek who enjoys finance. This forum (one of multiple) feeds me knowledge about finance, & other stuff as well.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:11 am

Why just in the past 2 weeks I learned some things about HSAs even though I have an old one that I was no longer contributing to. So I opened a new Fidelity HSA, then made my 2019 and 2020 contributions. But this is only the 2nd year that my spouse has had an HDHP w/HSA, so I didn't miss out on any past contributions. Also I will rollover my existing HSA into my new Fidelity HSA soon.

Also I didn't know about the spreadsheet from FiveK that I used for modeling my federal income taxes.

However, I have not changed my investing plans at all. It's the personal finance side where I continue to learn new things.

I also learn about all the crazy pre-conceived notions that many people have about investing, personal finance, and when they deal with other people. It is always amazing to me to read about illogical behaviors that just don't make any sense to me. Misconceptions about college admissio and financial aid are rampant here.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 am

I keep coming back for several reason; repetitive reenforcement, learn of various changes (tax laws, FIDO HSA among others) that have been VERY beneficial, the consumer forum, mostly informed discussions on investments topics, tips on other useful sites, learn of strategies relevant to me (that I may not have otherwise considered) etc.

I find this sight invaluable.

jsprag

Post by jsprag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:26 am

Cubicle wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:42 am
I'm a geek who enjoys finance. This forum (one of multiple) feeds me knowledge about finance, & other stuff as well.
If you don't mind sharing, what are some of your other favorite forums?

anon3838

Post by anon3838 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 am

Quercus Palustris wrote:
...and the lengthy discussion about a $5k watch! The best!

Stef

Post by Stef » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 am

I must admit that this forum is addictive. I visit it a couple of times everyday and check all new threads :oops:

Schlabba

Post by Schlabba » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 am

anon3838 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 am
Quercus Palustris wrote:
...and the lengthy discussion about a $5k watch! The best!
As soon as I reach my number I’ll start saving for a ridiculously expensive watch. I’ll make sure to post about it as well!
IWDA: MSCI World | EMIM: MSCI Emerging Markets | AGGH: Global Aggregate Bond Hedged to €

ctfish

Post by ctfish » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 am

In 2012 I saw the PenFed 1.99% 5 yr HEL discussed here and used it to refinance. The mortgage is history. That alone was a big money saver.

Badger1754

Post by Badger1754 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 am

As a wise Jedi Master once said...

[distracting meme removed by admin LadyGeek]

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 am

dratkinson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm

During my investor education, I was forced to learn my true risk tolerance. Too little risk and I'm bored enough to be dangerous to my wealth. Too much risk and I worry enough to backslide. Took a while to learn what was "just right". Don't mind sharing my experience if it helps new investors put bounds on their choices, and they understand that it's okay for them to chance their minds and direction after more learning and experience.

Serendipity. One day, read about a member's simple script used to do monthly rebalancing. Gave me the idea to incorporate something similar, as trigger events (=if condition...), alerts (..."Do this."), and comments (Notes: Why action is needed.) into my Excel investment tracking workbook. Life is sooo much easier now that Excel is doing my checking and remembering.

I've also appreciated learning from others' experiences with favorite coffees and kitchen knives.

So while I'm frequently on the forum, it's now more for entertainment (learning something interesting) and helping where I can. Haven't needed any investment help for a long time.
+1
Your posts awhile back on "Tier Fund Placement" were great. Should be in the "Wiki".

Jmustang81

Post by Jmustang81 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am

This is my first post ever on Bogleheads! I finally feel I've found a place where I can post the many questions I have on investing. I'm currently reading (listening technically) Boggleheads- Guide to Investing. I started by changing my spending patterns by reading Dave Ramsey, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Millionaire Next Door.

I'm in my upper 30's. I've told my wife that over the last year I've went thru a mid-life crisis. I didnt go out and by a BMW. Instead, I went and rolled my previous employers 401k's into Vanguard. Sure glad I did! Also, I've been tasked with the managing of my parents multi-million estate. This has forced me financially educate myself more then average joe. Many questions to come shortly!

Thanks everyone!

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am

dratkinson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm
I recognize this viewpoint and think it somewhat describes why I keep coming back. I volunteer my time and skills in the wiki, not because I know much about US specifics, but I can help with the wiki infrastructure and help to keep improving it so that it might benefit someone else who doesn't have the knowledge.

Ultimately it can be summarized in the saying "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."
jsprag wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am
The final, definitive, canonical, unassailable, unanimous, and irrefutable answer to the question of “How much international?” could appear any day now.

You wouldn’t want to miss that.

Okay that also covers my viewpoint and also triggers most of my posting here. As a Canadian investor subject to massive amounts of US investment theory and advise but having a very small piece of the international pie, I've had to educate myself on my home country bias and it's implications.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:40 am

ctfish wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 am
In 2012 I saw the PenFed 1.99% 5 yr HEL discussed here and used it to refinance. The mortgage is history. That alone was a big money saver.
That definitely was a great deal and, like you, now our mortgage is paid off.

But I found the real benefit to regular reading when life took me by surprise last month and I was laid off from my job of 16 years. The posts I had read about health insurance, severance and preparing for a change in employment as I approached retirement age went from being interesting to being of key importance. Overnight, starting with the search function on this forum, I was able to craft a counter-proposal that was acceptable to my employer. Thanks to this forum, our finances were already in good shape.

Thanks Bogleheads for everything.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 am

Jmustang81 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am
This is my first post ever on Bogleheads! I finally feel I've found a place where I can post the many questions I have on investing. I'm currently reading (listening technically) Boggleheads- Guide to Investing. I started by changing my spending patterns by reading Dave Ramsey, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Millionaire Next Door.

I'm in my upper 30's. I've told my wife that over the last year I've went thru a mid-life crisis. I didnt go out and by a BMW. Instead, I went and rolled my previous employers 401k's into Vanguard. Sure glad I did! Also, I've been tasked with the managing of my parents multi-million estate. This has forced me financially educate myself more then average joe. Many questions to come shortly!

Thanks everyone!
Welcome! First things first. Start with the wiki: Getting started

When you're ready, start a thread in the Personal Investments forum using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

Ask all of your questions in that single thread so we'll know what was previously discussed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Jmustang81

Post by Jmustang81 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 am
Jmustang81 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am

Thanks everyone!
Welcome! First things first. Start with the wiki: Getting started

When you're ready, start a thread in the Personal Investments forum using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

Ask all of your questions in that single thread so we'll know what was previously discussed.
Thank you LadyGeek. I've already started putting together my post using the Asking Portfolio Question format and is requiring a significant amount of time. (Perfectly fine) My only issue is that I'm unable to find the expense ratios on the last monthly brokerage statement. There are easily over 50+ funds/products. Is that alright?

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 am

Cubicle wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:42 am
+1