CNBC becomes a parody of itself

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
cato

CNBC becomes a parody of itself

Post by cato »

I flipped on CNBC today to hear an interview with one of this year's most succesful coin-flippers -- er, I mean market-timers. The interviewer was asking breathlessly about how he uses a combination of "technical" analysis and astrology. Yes, that's right, astrology. I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April and then waited for a punch-line. It never came.
Citigroup delenda est.
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

“I'd compare stock pickers to astrologers . . But I don't want to bad-mouth the astrologers.”
--Eugene Fama
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Jan 20-Feb- 18: buy AQRCF (Aquarius Coatings)
April 20-May 20: buy TAUM (Taurus Minerals)

etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

And, of course, under this theory, anytime would be a good time to buy Zodiac (ZODFF). :)

http://www.zodiac.com/eu/
fundtalk

Post by fundtalk »

Was it Paul "lazy portfolio" Farrell? Think Astrology and grow rich!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Astrology-G ... 82&sr=1-11
chaz

Post by chaz »

I'm amazed that people bother watching CNBC. The OP must have a lot of spare time.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
cato

Post by cato »

chaz wrote:I'm amazed that people bother watching CNBC. The OP must have a lot of spare time.
Actually, it was on XM radio in my car. But, yes I have spare time since I retired 7 years ago at age 40, thanks to some succesful market-timing of my own.
Citigroup delenda est.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Astrologers will be right part of the time so they will make money part of the time.

It was the Pakistani butter market that was highly correlated to the S&P500.
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

Never underestimate human folly...particularly after this year!
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

A stopped clock is right twice a day. I say pick a strategy, any stragegy and stick with it. Eventually you'll be a hero!
chaz

Post by chaz »

cato wrote:
chaz wrote:I'm amazed that people bother watching CNBC. The OP must have a lot of spare time.
Actually, it was on XM radio in my car. But, yes I have spare time since I retired 7 years ago at age 40, thanks to some succesful market-timing of my own.
I'm glad that you were a succesful market-timer. Most are not over the long haul.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
cato

Post by cato »

chaz wrote:
cato wrote:
I'm glad that you were a succesful market-timer. Most are not over the long haul.
It wasn't *exactly* market-timing. One day in early 2000, I noticed that the .com company where I was one of the first employees was worth more than John Deere. John Deere had a 100-year record of profits. My company never made a dime. I sold the .com and bought John Deere.
Citigroup delenda est.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I caught just a little piece of the CNBC show's guest. He made reference to some market direction activity changes often happening during full and new moon phases. I found it interesting, if not plausible. Maybe it is just the werewolf in me but IMHO the gravitational pull of the moon is as good of a theory as any other to attribute certain market behaviors.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Met Income

Post by Met Income »

As opposed to posting about CNBC on a message board? We all have some free time.
taxman

Post by taxman »

SpringMan wrote:I caught just a little piece of the CNBC show's guest. He made reference to some market direction activity changes often happening during full and new moon phases. I found it interesting, if not plausible. Maybe it is just the werewolf in me but IMHO the gravitational pull of the moon is as good of a theory as any other to attribute certain market behaviors.
I'll tell you first hand, I've quite a few friends that worked/work in a public safety sector or another. Full moons do do something to a % of the populace for some reason, not discounting market behaviors..thats many observations over the last 30yrs.