I don’t think I am a good Boglehead

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
1130Super

I don’t think I am a good Boglehead

Post by 1130Super »

I don’t want to hold much international if at all
I’m planning on owning a rental property
i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
I think a lot of bogleheads are too conservative, if you can retire At 50 and have an 80% chance of not running out of money It’s Probably worth it considering there’s a decent chance you’ll die before retirement or shortly after
Last edited by 1130Super on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertDiva

Re: I don’t think I am a good Boglehead

Post by DesertDiva »

1130Super wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am I don’t want to hold much international if at all
i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
I think bogleheads are too conservative, if you can retire At 50 and have an 80% chance of not running out of money It’s Probably worth it considering there’s a decent chance you’ll die before retirement or shortly after
Ok
jb1

Post by jb1 »

1130Super wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am I don’t want to hold much international if at all
i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
I think bogleheads are too conservative, if you can retire At 50 and have an 80% chance of not running out of money It’s Probably worth it considering there’s a decent chance you’ll die before retirement or shortly after
Ok
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Keep learning and plugging along.

If you don't like it here, no requirement to visit.

I learn something every day. I learn I am often wrong. You might be too.

I don't have international.
I invest in storage unit properties. (completely passive)
Bonds serve a purpose, but you can use a Money Market or CD.
I want to retire at 55.
I won't have a pension.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
bampf

Post by bampf »

I don't hold international.
I have owned several rental properties.
I hold very little in bonds, certainly less than most.
I make a pretty good salary.

I think that being a boglehead is like all things, colored by your own wisdom (or lack therein). A personal investing plan is ... personal. I wouldn't worry so much about the label.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Watch your own personal financial results.

Visit the Forum often - read some threads - educate yourself.

Bogleheads are not a monolithic cult. International is not required. And your rental properties may provide you with the stability and regular income that you would get from a bond portfolio.

To each his own.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

... and yet here you are.
What you propose sounds less outlandish to me than the people suggesting 3x leveraged ETF's and ultra-long duration bonds.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:39 am ... and yet here you are.
What you propose sounds less outlandish to me than the people suggesting 3x leveraged ETF's and ultra-long duration bonds.
Or Anyone that would want to hold International bonds
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

DesertDiva wrote:Ok
jb1 wrote:Ok
It's 2019. Get with the times.

"Ok Boomer" is the correct response.
Topic Author
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 am Keep learning and plugging along.

If you don't like it here, no requirement to visit.

I learn something every day. I learn I am often wrong. You might be too.

I don't have international.
I invest in storage unit properties.
Bonds serve a purpose, but you can use a Money Market or CD.
I want to retire at 55.
I won't have a pension.
yeah I know But I find everything on this forum interesting, But I do see a lot of boggleheads teaming up on people that don’t See everything the same way lol
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
I don't see where the things you listed are at odds with the Boglehead Philosophy:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
Develop a workable plan
Invest early and often
Never bear too much or too little risk
Never try to time the market
Use index funds when possible
Keep costs low
Diversify
Minimize taxes
Keep it simple
Stay the course
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Is there a question in here?
alluringreality

Post by alluringreality »

goblue100 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am Develop a workable plan
Invest early and often
Never bear too much or too little risk
Never try to time the market
Use index funds when possible
Keep costs low
Diversify
Minimize taxes
Keep it simple
Stay the course
I tend to think some of the tenets can potentially conflict with other principles. Personally I follow some more than others, but I think both John Bogle and Vanguard each have items that don't exactly follow the list. Mainly I think it's possible to make some completely idiotic moves if worried about what seems to sometimes be construed as market timing here, and with the general lowering of fees I'm not as sold on indexing or simplicity as I used to be when I first read a Bogle book.
Last edited by alluringreality on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Targets: 15% I Bonds, 15% EE Bonds, 45% US Stock (Mid & Small Tilt), 25% Ex-US Stock (Small Tilt)
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

John Bogle did not recommend international funds:

https://www.investmentnews.com/article/ ... nal-stocks

"Everyone tells me I'm wrong," Mr. Bogle said. "In my book, 'Bogle on Investing,' I said, for a lot of reasons, you don't need to own international stock." His argument: International investing involves extra risk, ranging from currency risk and economic risk to societal instability risk.

I don't recall him arguing against rental properties or saying "YOU HAVE TO OWN BONDS" either.

The only thing I disagree with is the statement "bogleheads are too conservative". I don't recall every boglehead having the same identical investment portfolio, income, retirement assets, and net worth.
MnD

Post by MnD »

17 funds/etf's, some out of necessity but some by choice. Roughly 25% in active funds.
Global market on equities instead of over-weighing US.
Nothing in total bond market. Roughly 66% stable value and 33% active global bond.
5% SWR (of annual portfolio value) with 3% inflation-adjusted floor.
For decades prior to retirement, we spent a fair share of our taxable account returns (over inflation) on various wants and extras.
Not even remotely frugal.
Not Roth converting but rather using 5%/3% retirement spending model to keep real portfolio growth in check.

Despite the above lapses in Boglehead doctrine......
Retired early (mid-50's) exactly as planned without sacrificing pre-retirement goodies and experiences and well ahead of projected portfolio balance.
Dollar weighted ER = .10%
Two sentence IPS and retirement spending plan.
Last edited by MnD on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Then don't.
OK
i have a decent pension
Good for you!
I don’t like bonds
Many people here don't. Endless threads on this topic
Despite the fact that a vocal group of people here believe that the beginning and ending of being a boglehead is to invest in the 3-fund portfolio, we're really not that monolithic. Some of us have figured our own way through this and feel no need to try convince anybody else that what we feel is right for us is right for anybody else. Still learning all the time, though!
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

That’s it folks, international equity and global bonds start a 30 year bull today while US equities will never be this high again!
rbaldini

Post by rbaldini »

If Bogleheads just got together and agreed all day, it would be a useless forum. Stick around.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Read post three times and somehow don't see the question.

You sound more boglehead than a lot of folks here - I've seen various suggestions (put 50% in FANG; tons of market timing schemes; etc.) that are much further from boglehead principles than what you state.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

rbaldini wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:38 am If Bogleheads just got together and agreed all day, it would be a useless forum. Stick around.
+1 And all we'd need is the wiki. :D
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

A 20% chance of running out of money before dying is certainly more risk than I would be willing to take. None of the things you mention are a requirement to be a boglehead. The investment philosophy is:
1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

John Bogle was not a fan of international funds. I would mostly agree with your position, but as far as I know Bogle had nothing "dogmatic" to say about owning rental properties. "Conservative" is in the eye of the beholder. I do think people tend to underestimate the future performance of the markets here at BH, so you get the insane people pining for a decline, saving 100x expenses. There's also some serious rose colored goggles among some here with respect to income. Other than that?

I could care less about bonds. They are a performance killer and I don't use them in my own portfolio personally. I have a pension coming, so that probably also plays into it. I do use VWIAX in mom's portfolio, but she's 73 and it's one of the only active funds I would look at.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
JakeyLee

Post by JakeyLee »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
I hold zero international
Own no rental properties
I've got a decent pension
Also never owned a bond, and (gasp) I aggressively paid off my house early. I've been 100 percent S&P index for almost 30 years.
Am I a good Boglehead? Maybe not, but I learn something here everyday. Now I have the tools to take a bunch of risk off the table. I will be adjusting my asset allocation to smooth out my retirement years. Not as focused on maximizing gains, just starting my transition to protecting my assets for the next 30 years (should I actually live to be 80). I would be lost without the insights I've gained here.

My guess is there are more than a few of us that aren't great Bogleheads. That's probably a good thing. Otherwise this place would start sounding like an echo chamber .
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

1130Super wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am I think bogleheads are too conservative, if you can retire At 50 and have an 80% chance of not running out of money It’s Probably worth it considering there’s a decent chance you’ll die before retirement or shortly after
That's a rather odd statement.

- How do you know you'll have an 80% chance of not running out of money?
- What will you do in the 20% of cases where you do?
- You think there's a decent chance you will die before or shortly after your retirement at 50? Why?

YOLO?
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I want to hold international but less than market weight.
I’m not planning on owning a rental property
I hold REITS in total US stock fund
i don’t have a pension
I do like bonds and fixed income - especially until I start SS.
I think bogleheads are smart, i think the following is nutty: “if you can retire[at 80 % probability of success at age 50] It’s Probably worth it considering there’s a decent chance you’ll die before retirement or shortly after..
rascott

Post by rascott »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds

Totally reasonable. Your savings rate matters a lot more than anything else.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
If you're going to die shortly after retirement, then it doesn't really matter when you retire, does it? Assuming you want to live as long as possible, and if you're confident you'll die shortly after retirement, why accelerate the inevitable by retiring at 50?
Steve
alluringreality

Post by alluringreality »

Longdog wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 pm If you're going to die shortly after retirement, then it doesn't really matter when you retire, does it? Assuming you want to live as long as possible, and if you're confident you'll die shortly after retirement, why accelerate the inevitable by retiring at 50?
I would guess it's based on something like discussed in the following. My girlfriend told me about an article something like discussed there recently, suggesting typical retirement might mean earlier death.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveverno ... 4242ef30a8
Targets: 15% I Bonds, 15% EE Bonds, 45% US Stock (Mid & Small Tilt), 25% Ex-US Stock (Small Tilt)
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
I don't think you've spent enough time here to even know what a Boglehead is. That is made clear by your post.

Your post lacks respect.

Cheers
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
Those aren't the markers of a bad Boglehead. There are many here who share those traits.

The Boglehead Philosophy is:
1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

Nothing you posted is contrary to any part of that philosophy. Actually, the tent is big enough to cover people who tweak around the edges, by having trading accounts on the side, or who diversify with active funds (keep them low-cost), who use real estate, and who market-time. Many people do not have international, or do not like bonds.

This is a pick-your-own-adventure, and you get to make the choices that are appropriate for your situation.

I think you'd be a bad Boglehead if you posted regularly on /r/wallstreetbets on Reddit, day-traded options, or traded in futures contracts, while letting your Edward Jones advisor fully manage your "safe money."
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I don't go looking for echo chambers. It's just not interesting.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:44 am

hahahaha!
I think I have to text my 22-year-old and let him know I just learned "OK boomer" here. He thinks BH is rather, well, boomer-ish. He will enjoy the irony.

And, I consider myself a BH, but I have 8 funds, and I am tempted to do something to increase my risk again...
Last edited by LilyFleur on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
- I abandoned int'l stocks earlier this year, after holding them for 25 years or so.
- Good luck with owning a rental property. That has to be one of the last things I'd want to do, just from listening to other peoples' experiences.
- I don't have a pension.
- I love bonds -- they make up 70% of my PF, mostly because I *don't* have a pension. In this position, one has to be much more prudent and cautious.
- Yes I am a conservative investor for two reasons: See my previous comment, plus I am 69 years old. I'm self-employed, still working, and have no idea when I'm going to croak.

EDIT: I am not BH-ish when it comes to:

- Index/ETFs vs. managed funds -- I have some of both.
- Bonds. I have a couple of multi-sector managed bond funds, and a highly-leveraged closed-end fund.
Last edited by Bluce on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
Ron

Post by Ron »

Don't worry about it. This is just a "Dear Abby" advice forum, where everyone plays the role of Abby (or Ann Landers).

While you will hear/see a lot of opinions on a lot of different subjects, it's up to you to follow your own path and realize that it's your life to pursue, not those of others...

FWIW

Ron
telemark

Post by telemark »

I know that I am not a good Boglehead, or at least I ought to know, for others have often told me so. But that would be true almost no matter what I did. Don't take it too seriously :)
packet

Post by packet »

There are many roads to Dublin.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your road (I'm sure you'll be fine).

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
BillyK

Post by BillyK »

I have been following Bogleheads for +20 years going back to the Morningstar forum. The last thing that I would ever think is that Bogleheads are too conservative in broad terms. There has always been such diversity among forum members through the years. If anything, members have often been ahead of trends when it comes to investment strategies. There were Bogleheads tilting to value, small cap, micro cap, REITs, commodities, foreign investments including emerging markets well before they became familiar or popular with general investing public. There have always been Bogleheads that have held and also used various strategies involving individual shares of stocks. The same too for real estate and income properties as well as older investors holding 100% equity portfolios.

What makes this forum so great is that there is such diversity amongst the forum members from risk averse to those that are anything but...
fourkids

Post by fourkids »

It's all about what allows you to sleep well at night.
To each his/her own.

and having a "decent pension" is a luxury most of us don't have.
If I don't get it right, I could have 0 income at age 80 or 90.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:44 am

I don't think we want to go there. Otherwise the next rejoinder is "There, there, snowflake."
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

My guess is that Bogle didn't comment on rental property because he regarded it as a job, no different than being an accountant or hvac tech or any other job. It was just another way to earn money to invest - it wasn't an investment.
3funder

Post by 3funder »

There's nothing wrong with your approach to investing. There are many ways to do it.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Cool. Next.

Who doesn't? Oh wait...

i have a decent pension
You should. I shiver at the thought of what I need to do to be qualified to receive pension. I'm here for a good time, not a long time. I don't think all bogleheads are joyful to work until 60.

I don’t like bonds
Who does?

Why you think that? Point me a person who has 0 stock, I will point to you a person who has 100 stock. Better yet, I'll point out the people who use leveraged ETF for bonus point
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

As long as you have vaguely asked for feedback after posting pages of financial life history, revived an argument that has been discussed in 10+ threads, or asked if you could afford a multi-million dollar house, you are a great Boglehead.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
OK
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

packet wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:55 pm There are many roads to Dublin.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your road (I'm sure you'll be fine).

:beer Cheers,
packet
Some of us aren't even going to Dublin!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
You can't run out of money. You have a decent pension.

Many of us don't have a pension. Running out of money is something we want to avoid. Hence, we're more conservative than you.

And that's okay.

If I had a pension, I'd be less conservative too.

We can both be Bogleheads.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

I, for one, have always learned the most when challenging whatever seems to be any group's orthodoxy. So I challenge bogleheads here on some of their most cherished assumptions and then go argue with the dividend growth investors on Seeking Alpha. These are all smart, thoughtful people, and I learn a lot from the ensuing dialogues.

Like you, I don't like international stocks or most bond funds. I mostly buy high rate CDs and watch my tax exempt municipal bond fund that I bought when the yield was very attractive very closely.

Real estate isn't for me, because I don't enjoy home maintenance and everyone I know who has succeeded as a landlord has the skills needed to fix all the things that break. But if you like fixing things, it can work out well.

What I would suggest to you or anyone else retiring at 50, is that you build into your retirement plan the idea of developing some kind of side business based on a hobby or other pursuit that you enjoy, which is capable of taking off and providing you income over the next 25 years. 50 seemed very old to me when I hit it, and I retired from what I'd been doing to some extent--helped out by a dramatic change for the worse in the industry I'd been in, but by the time I was 60 I had developed a whole new career out of what had been a hobby I did for free. That "hobby" earned me much more than I had earned at what I'd been doing before, and most importantly, kept my brain working well, kept me from becoming an aging bore (which too many of my contemporaries became), and made it fun to be alive.

You could easily have 40 more years of productivity ahead of you. Nothing ages people more than floating around on cruise ships exchanging tales of what you used to do with other people who have devoted themselves to a life of what is supposed to be pleasure but lacks any real challenge. Retiring from the wage slave life young gives you a chance to reconnect with your youthful dreams and make them happen.

The best rock band I've heard playing out recently was made up of people in their early 60s. They are not hobbyists but as good as anyone I'd ever heard live (and I heard some of the greats in the '60s and '70s.) I know a couple people who published their first novels--well reviewed--in their 60s, and if you don't swing towards the arts, how about the guy I know in his 50s who drag races professionally. Like collecting? Learn what people will pay for and cruise the thrift shops and tag sales and sell the treasures you find online. I have another friend who has turned knowledge about some very odd niches where people will pay a lot for old books into a business that earns him $50-60 bucks a day. That is a nice addition to anyone's retirement, and more importantly, a good excuse to get out of the house and keep the mind active. No one can believe his real age, because he does't behave the way people expect old people to behave. Taylor Larrimore, who spearheads this forum is a great example of someone who has kept active, mentally sharp, and involved well into what most people consider old old age.

Whatever it is that you dreamed of doing, once you don't have to show up at work every morning, you finally have a chance to do it.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

No need to pray an Act of Contrition. I absolve you of your sins. Go in peace.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains”
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

If you are committed to keeping your investment costs very low and refuse to chase hot funds or stocks, then in my book you are moving in the direction of being a Boglehead.

I see it as on a spectrum.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:11 pm
i have a decent pension
I don’t like bonds
You can't run out of money. You have a decent pension.

Many of us don't have a pension. Running out of money is something we want to avoid. Hence, we're more conservative than you.

And that's okay.

If I had a pension, I'd be less conservative too.

We can both be Bogleheads.
I’m churning the “too conservative” remark :idea:

I have a small pension. No more than 25% of my portfolio is in bonds. I just can’t do it. To some, that is a conservative allocation. To others, it’s risky (especially since retirement is < 10 years away). I have about 15% in international. To some, that is conservative. To others, it’s risky.

I think I follow the guidelines. Am I a conservative Boglehead simply because everything is in index funds, I don’t chase alternative investments (including real estate) or pick individual stocks?