Vanguard mobile app comes in last in JD Power satisfaction survey

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
rolandtorres

Vanguard mobile app comes in last in JD Power satisfaction survey

Post by rolandtorres »

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... on-study-0

Tried the app once years ago, saw it had low utility, immediately deleted it. Wish they had a study on the main website too.
anon_investor

Re: Vanguard mobile app comes in last in JD Power satisfaction survey

Post by anon_investor »

It's really not that bad, especially for a buy and hold investor. It's probably not fancy enough for someone that trades a lot...
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

On a scale of 1000, the highest rated app received 865 points and the lowest rated app (Vanguard) received 821 points. Average score was 846. I wonder if the apps are significantly different functionally given the scores differ by only 44 points out of 1000.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I like the Vanguard app.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

The app lacks push alerts and fingerprint authentication, at least on Android. Also lacks the ability to show balances without logging in (or not). Those are features that many apps have.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I like the app. On iOS it has a higher rating than Fidelity. Not objective, but neither is J.D. Power. Their information is essentially worthless. Reference Chevy commercials + Zebra Corner spoofs. What is the obsession with Vanguard negativity on Bogleheads? This is like a Russian disinformation campaign.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:05 am The app lacks push alerts and fingerprint authentication, at least on Android. Also lacks the ability to show balances without logging in (or not). Those are features that many apps have.
The iOS version supports both TouchID and FaceID.

Vanguard has a veeerrrryyy slowly developing beta app called Beacon. (I should probably call it alpha or pre-alpha testing, since they are still building core features.) It's currently very limited in its feature set, so I have no idea whether it will eventually look like. Based on the pace of development, they don't have a large team working on it.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

It's about worthless for anything other than logging in on your phone to check your account balance.

Maybe that's a good thing . . . .

We're Gen Xers with the latest and greatest smart phones, we use Alexa in our kitchen, we have Gigabit internet and use it, etc. We're still with Vanguard for a reason. Don't need a great app. Wish they'd stop playing and PAYING for air time for those grating TV commercials.

Just care about costs. Keep 'em low by any means necessary.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Works well for my purposes, which is about all I an ask, and they finally fixed the FaceID issue with it not working about a year ago. I do like the Fidelity App better (mainly because I can see balances without logging in, which I do once a month to update our family spreadsheet), but apparently I've only got experience with the 6th best rated app as comparison. :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Actually I feel the iPhone app has quite a bit of functionality for what I need albeit maybe not a day trading platform or single view which some people might be looking for. It is not offering what M1 or Personal Capital does.

For example with a few touches I can check holdings for unrealized losses if I am trying to time a tax loss harvest. Much faster to quickly login with Face ID on the phone rather than website with the SMS code.
dhuser

Post by dhuser »

jhfenton wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:05 am The app lacks push alerts and fingerprint authentication, at least on Android. Also lacks the ability to show balances without logging in (or not). Those are features that many apps have.
The iOS version supports both TouchID and FaceID.

Vanguard has a veeerrrryyy slowly developing beta app called Beacon. (I should probably call it alpha or pre-alpha testing, since they are still building core features.) It's currently very limited in its feature set, so I have no idea whether it will eventually look like. Based on the pace of development, they don't have a large team working on it.
Yea, I've been using Beacon some, and it looks nicer/flashier and less like their website. But, at the end of the day, the regular app does exactly what I need it to do.