[Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
thelateinvestor43
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

[Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm

What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.

[Edited post title to read "Dow" rather than "S&P" -- moderator oldcomputerguy]
Last edited by thelateinvestor43 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft
Posts: 68563
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Please double check your statement. Thanks.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Mactheriverrat
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Mactheriverrat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Normal profit taking.
May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:49 pm

A new tariff was just announced. (The S&P dropped, but not 250 points.)

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5347
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Kenkat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:51 pm

The Dow dropped 250+ today. The S&P 500 dropped around 27 points I believe. It’s only about a 1% drop. It happens, not infrequently even - normal ups and downs, you’re best to tune them out as they are not important or require you to do anything but stick to a long term plan.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7760
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by JoMoney » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:53 pm

The "S&P" and the Dow (Dow Jones Industrial Average, or Dow 30) are different indexes.
The S&P 500 did not drop 250 "points" today. The Dow did go from 28,051.40 to 27,783.04 , so it dropped just over 250 ... which represents less than 1% of it's value. The stock market fluctuates up and down by 1% on the regular basis. There's nothing unusual or noteworthy about that.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

anonsdca
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by anonsdca » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm

The S&P dropped 27 points the Dow dropped 268 point, both less than 1%. 10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago, that amount of a point drop would have been headline news because the percentage would have been higher for the single day. Today, with the markets near all time highs, its just another day that doesn't mean much.

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3847
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the S&P dropping 250 points today?
Nothing special, assuming you meant the Dow and not the S&P 500.

The market goes up and it goes down less than 1 percent quite often. Surely you've seen this happen before, no matter how new.
Don't be a lemming.

Trader Joe
Posts: 1257
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the S&P dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.
No, this information is not correct. The S&P 500 ended today -27.11 (-0.86%).

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 2432
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Stinky » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 pm

anonsdca wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm
Today, with the markets near all time highs, its just another day that doesn't mean much.
Agreed that one day doesn’t mean anything.

But if we have one or two more days of drops like this, watch the news media for “stock market plunging” stories.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

mindboggling
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by mindboggling » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm

You have posted many times in the past week or so. I don't mean to be harsh but you should not invest in the stock market at this time. An old saying goes: "don't invest in things that you do not understand". I think you should study the history of stock market prices. The market goes up and down all the time. Reasons given are after the fact. If you invest you are likely to panic-sell at the wrong time. A "fund of funds" with a small allocation to stocks might be OK, but bond prices go up and down, too. The SP500 dropped less than one-percent today. If this bothers you--be careful out there.

Good luck, and study up before you invest! If you are truly a "late investor", trying to catch-up is dangerous.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

anonsdca
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by anonsdca » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Stinky wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 pm
anonsdca wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 pm
Today, with the markets near all time highs, its just another day that doesn't mean much.
Agreed that one day doesn’t mean anything.

But if we have one or two more days of drops like this, watch the news media for “stock market plunging” stories.
Yes, agree. A 5% drop in a few days is going to spook a lot of people. Just look at the folks posting here. "Should I invest at all time highs", "should I go all cash", "I am getting scared...", etc.

retire2022
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by retire2022 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Op

watch this video on Random Walk Down Wall Street Burton Malkiel:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/ra ... theory.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_Malkiel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Random_ ... all_Street

also this is how indexing is based upon


PAUL SOLMAN:

To Professor Desai, the big idea of finance is illustrated by the Quincunx machine in Boston's Museum of Science: the ability to find order in a seemingly random, and therefore risk-forsaken, world.


Galton Board/Quincunx or target or Pascal Probabilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4bxse2JEQ

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/world ... half-story
Last edited by retire2022 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
thelateinvestor43
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:10 pm

mindboggling wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm
You have posted many times in the past week or so. I don't mean to be harsh but you should not invest in the stock market at this time. An old saying goes: "don't invest in things that you do not understand". I think you should study the history of stock market prices. The market goes up and down all the time. Reasons given are after the fact. If you invest you are likely to panic-sell at the wrong time. A "fund of funds" with a small allocation to stocks might be OK, but bond prices go up and down, too. The SP500 dropped less than one-percent today. If this bothers you--be careful out there.

Good luck, and study up before you invest! If you are truly a "late investor", trying to catch-up is dangerous.
I invested in the FSKAX Total Marker Index. Why won't I be ok if I don't understand everything at this moment? The index will work automatically without my help all I have to do is add money.

H-Town
Posts: 2101
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by H-Town » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:11 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.
Last December, there were multiple days that Dow dropping 1,000 points or more. It was close to 20% drop when all dust settled.

Just set it and forget it. Then come here and discuss. They are de-facto therapy sessions to coup with market drops and they're free.

Topic Author
thelateinvestor43
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.

sport
Posts: 8529
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by sport » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:13 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:10 pm
mindboggling wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm
You have posted many times in the past week or so. I don't mean to be harsh but you should not invest in the stock market at this time. An old saying goes: "don't invest in things that you do not understand". I think you should study the history of stock market prices. The market goes up and down all the time. Reasons given are after the fact. If you invest you are likely to panic-sell at the wrong time. A "fund of funds" with a small allocation to stocks might be OK, but bond prices go up and down, too. The SP500 dropped less than one-percent today. If this bothers you--be careful out there.

Good luck, and study up before you invest! If you are truly a "late investor", trying to catch-up is dangerous.
I invested in the FSKAX Total Marker Index. Why won't I be ok if I don't understand everything at this moment? The index will work automatically without my help all I have to do is add money.
If you have too much in stock for your risk tolerance, you might get scared and sell when the market takes a big drop. That would be buying high and selling low. That is not a recipe for success.

HippoSir
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by HippoSir » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:14 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
Can you explain why you are concerned? October was two months ago, worst losses since then is meaningless. The market sometimes goes up, other times it goes down. Welcome to investing.

livesoft
Posts: 68563
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Dow dropped 250 points today?

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:15 pm

nvm .
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BogleMelon
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:22 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
Wait then until it drops 30% and see how the news will put it out!
News have to exaggerate things to sell. Turn it off. It won't teach you anything new. Read quality books on investing, that will teach you what you want to know. Good luck!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

User avatar
2pedals
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by 2pedals » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Nobody knows nothing, it's all you need to know about today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLCfkmaqI6k

retire2022
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by retire2022 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
Op

Best to follow percentage rather than points

SP500 definition which is 500 large cap companies

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sp500.asp

Dow definition, which was 30 stocks and price weighted, the dow is not accurate

https://www.investopedia.com/dow-30-is- ... ng-4684246

User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:27 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
October was only the month before last.

Dow is not an acronym. It's usually used to mean the Dow Jones Industrial Average, initialism DJIA. There exist other Dow Jones averages. Dow Jones & Company no longer publishes them, having sold the rights, which are currently held by S&P Dow Jones Indices.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mactheriverrat
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Mactheriverrat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:32 pm

2pedals wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Nobody knows nothing, it's all you need to know about today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLCfkmaqI6k
The MILLIONS of people who have their personal 401-k's and ride through the pain of a bear market when they should have switched to bonds - The when the bear market was over switched back into growth funds. Their the one's that don't really know anything. Then they are suckered in giving their money to like's of Morgan Stanley's of the world for a 1% to 2% fee. And that's after years of no guidance in their 401-k accounts.
May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.

zxllxz
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by zxllxz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:33 pm

The Market moves every day. Sometimes up, sometimes down. It is the nature of markets. You can see this at this web site:
https://www.macrotrends.net/2490/sp-500-ytd-performance The chart allows you to compare different years.

rascott
Posts: 1070
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by rascott » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.


I'm going to concur with another poster...I honestly don't think you are ready to invest in anything, much less equities.

Today was a nothing day. Stocks don't move in linear fashion.... over a day, week, month, year, or even decade.

User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Mactheriverrat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:32 pm
2pedals wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Nobody knows nothing, it's all you need to know about today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLCfkmaqI6k
The MILLIONS of people who have their personal 401-k's and ride through the pain of a bear market when they should have switched to bonds - The when the bear market was over switched back into growth funds. Their the one's that don't really know anything. Then they are suckered in giving their money to like's of Morgan Stanley's of the world for a 1% to 2% fee. And that's after years of no guidance in their 401-k accounts.
How can we tell, at the time, that a bull market is ending, and detect at the time that a bear market is ending?

PJW

rascott
Posts: 1070
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by rascott » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:37 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm
thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
Op

Best to follow percentage rather than points

SP500 definition which is 500 large cap companies

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sp500.asp

Dow definition, which was 30 stocks and price weighted, the dow is not accurate

https://www.investopedia.com/dow-30-is- ... ng-4684246

Though it is amazing how well they've long tracked each other.

I've often wondered how someone equal weighting the DJIA average has done vs a SP500 holder.

Ther DJIA is a price weighted index... which defies any common sense..... but even with that it has tracked the SP500 fairly closely for a long time
Last edited by rascott on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 13399
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by HomerJ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:39 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
Heh, October was 30 days ago.

I bet the headline, "One of the worst losses in the past 30 days!!" wouldn't have got your attention as much.

Financial news is all junk. Click-bait. They are constantly stating "worst this, historical that", just to get you to click on it.

Ignore all of it. Daily news means nothing. We're investing here for 10,20,30,50 years.
The J stands for Jay

jebmke
Posts: 9828
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by jebmke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:40 pm

I thought there was a universal "markets are plummeting today" thread.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jebmke
Posts: 9828
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by jebmke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Heh, October was 30 days ago.
Any time the market goes down there is a "worst since ____" benchmark out there. :P

Still waiting for the "worst since October 1987"
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

tesuzuki2002
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:43 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.

[Edited post title to read "Dow" rather than "S&P" -- moderator oldcomputerguy]
SWEET!

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 13399
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by HomerJ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Mactheriverrat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:32 pm
The MILLIONS of people who have their personal 401-k's and ride through the pain of a bear market when they should have switched to bonds - Then when the bear market was over switched back into growth funds. Their the one's that don't really know anything.
No one knows when the bear market is starting or when it's over. You can't just switch to bonds, and then back to growth funds.

There's nothing wrong with riding through the pain of a bear market... Buy and hold, stay the course. Have you read any of the posts here?
Then they are suckered in giving their money to like's of Morgan Stanley's of the world for a 1% to 2% fee.
This part I will agree with... People should avoid funds and advisors with large fees.
The J stands for Jay

tibbitts
Posts: 9368
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by tibbitts » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:10 pm
mindboggling wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm
You have posted many times in the past week or so. I don't mean to be harsh but you should not invest in the stock market at this time. An old saying goes: "don't invest in things that you do not understand". I think you should study the history of stock market prices. The market goes up and down all the time. Reasons given are after the fact. If you invest you are likely to panic-sell at the wrong time. A "fund of funds" with a small allocation to stocks might be OK, but bond prices go up and down, too. The SP500 dropped less than one-percent today. If this bothers you--be careful out there.

Good luck, and study up before you invest! If you are truly a "late investor", trying to catch-up is dangerous.
I invested in the FSKAX Total Marker Index. Why won't I be ok if I don't understand everything at this moment? The index will work automatically without my help all I have to do is add money.
A lot of us aren't convinced that you are understand that you may invest for the rest of your lifetime and have nothing but losses. It's not high-probability, but definitely possible.

TheDDC
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by TheDDC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:10 pm

To the OP: Part of what you get from investing is YIELDS. Dividend yields should make up for losses.

Stay the course. Ride em cowboy.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth...

yohac
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by yohac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Most of the time there is no "why" to explain a daily move. Commentators make up reasons after the fact because they are paid to say something.

tibbitts
Posts: 9368
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by tibbitts » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:19 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:10 pm
To the OP: Part of what you get from investing is YIELDS. Dividend yields should make up for losses.

Stay the course. Ride em cowboy.

-TheDDC
What? Dividend yields are roughly 2% per year. Losses can and often have exceeded 2% per day.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:24 pm

I can vividly remember the day in October 1987 when the DOW dropped 508 points. The difference then was 508 points was 22.6% of the DOW's value. Today's change was less than 1%. Truly, this is just every day stuff. Reactions to noise about trade tariffs, profit taking, or whatever. For comparison, a 22.6% drop in the DOW today would be 6280 points.

pharmermummles
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:02 am

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by pharmermummles » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:24 pm
I can vividly remember the day in October 1987 when the DOW dropped 508 points. The difference then was 508 points was 22.6% of the DOW's value. Today's change was less than 1%. Truly, this is just every day stuff. Reactions to noise about trade tariffs, profit taking, or whatever. For comparison, a 22.6% drop in the DOW today would be 6280 points.
I can't even imagine. People must have thought the world was ending. We will never see anything quite like it again due to trading halts. Really puts things into perspective.

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1409
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Stay the course and keep the noise out !!!

jebmke
Posts: 9828
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by jebmke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:24 pm
I can vividly remember the day in October 1987 when the DOW dropped 508 points. The difference then was 508 points was 22.6% of the DOW's value. Today's change was less than 1%. Truly, this is just every day stuff. Reactions to noise about trade tariffs, profit taking, or whatever. For comparison, a 22.6% drop in the DOW today would be 6280 points.
My wife was in the business. We used to joke about crossing the street on certain blocks in the financial district (Boston) to avoid getting hit by falling analysts.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

mortfree
Posts: 1836
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by mortfree » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

So did you buy at all today or did you feel paralyzed to make a purchase when you saw the slight decrease?

In my taxable account:
I bought VTI about 15 minutes before market closed. Been holding out so figured now was a good time as any. But I’ll probably get hit with the dividend. Oh well

User avatar
danielc
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by danielc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:39 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.

[Edited post title to read "Dow" rather than "S&P" -- moderator oldcomputerguy]
Over 1-day timescales the stock market basically behaves randomly. You can safely ignore daily news. In fact, you'll probably do better if you ignore news. I didn't know the market had dropped until I saw your post. I never look at the market.

User avatar
danielc
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by danielc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:49 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
October is extremely recent history. The stock market is volatile and a drop like today is perfectly normal and happens many times a year. A news headline that says "one of the worse losses since October" is literally financial porn / clickbait. It is a sensationalist headline; it takes a non-news event and makes it sound dramatic so that you'll click on the link. As I said in my earlier response, financial news is almost universally harmful to you. You will make better financial decisions if you literally just ignore financial news like most of us do here.

TheDDC
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by TheDDC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:19 pm
TheDDC wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:10 pm
To the OP: Part of what you get from investing is YIELDS. Dividend yields should make up for losses.

Stay the course. Ride em cowboy.

-TheDDC
What? Dividend yields are roughly 2% per year. Losses can and often have exceeded 2% per day.
Say what?

What the OP is getting at is that there’s really no point investing without getting a cherry on top. Otherwise why invest? He needs to see the immediate gain as we all do. Dividends are one way of showing this. I’m talking VTSAX/VBTLX type dividends, not individual stocks.

-TheDDC
Last edited by TheDDC on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth...

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3847
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 pm

mortfree wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm
I bought VTI about 15 minutes before market closed. Been holding out so figured now was a good time as any.
Just curious. What made today a good time?
Don't be a lemming.

mortfree
Posts: 1836
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: [Dow] dropped 250 points today?

Post by mortfree » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 pm
mortfree wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm
I bought VTI about 15 minutes before market closed. Been holding out so figured now was a good time as any.
Just curious. What made today a good time?
First trading day of December and VTI was below $160.

I had transferred funds to vanguard November 20th or so and just wanted to see how that month ended with other finances.

Still have 8k in cash at Vanguard. 6k is for 2020 Roth. The other 2k might be transferred back to credit union or hang out there until December
/January wraps up before it gets invested.

Thanks for asking.

User avatar
Snert
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by Snert » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:57 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Sorry, I screwed up and meant the DOW. I still don't get all this, but YES I KNOW the stock market goes up and down, but the news said "in one of the worse losses since October" or something.
I always love the "worst losses since _____" headlines! Often, the market goes way up after "worst" days. Look what's happened since the worst days of October, for example. The Dow is up over 1700 since then! We should cheer when we see a "worst" day and use the opportunity to buy more!
Don't listen to me, I'm just a dog!

Topic Author
thelateinvestor43
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am
Location: Westbrook, Maine

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by thelateinvestor43 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm

rascott wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm
thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.


I'm going to concur with another poster...I honestly don't think you are ready to invest in anything, much less equities.

Today was a nothing day. Stocks don't move in linear fashion.... over a day, week, month, year, or even decade.
I am ready to invest. I'm not scared with my measly $6k going up or down. I just didn't understand the news today.

rascott
Posts: 1070
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: S&P dropped 250 points today?

Post by rascott » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:51 pm

thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm
rascott wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm
thelateinvestor43 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
What's going on with the Dow dropping 250 points today?

I'm new to all this.


I'm going to concur with another poster...I honestly don't think you are ready to invest in anything, much less equities.

Today was a nothing day. Stocks don't move in linear fashion.... over a day, week, month, year, or even decade.
I am ready to invest. I'm not scared with my measly $6k going up or down. I just didn't understand the news today.


Honestly best thing you could do then is invest it and forget it... maybe look once a year at it.

Proper investing is 'watching paint dry' level boring. There was no news of any meaning today. There was likely some profit taking after a very hot November. And there was a bit of weak manufacturing data out..... if you want to get into the noisy weeds.
Last edited by rascott on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply