The Bogleheads' Guides -- An ideal Christmas gift.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

The Bogleheads' Guides -- An ideal Christmas gift.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Bogleheads:

Christmas is upon us and many Bogleheads are thinking about Christmas gifts for family and friends. I suggest that any one of the three Bogleheads books would be ideal and a low-cost present that will be appreciated by nearly every investor:

The Second Edition of The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing (from the flyleaf): "This thoroughly revised and updated second edition of The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing offers investors of all stripes, ages, and investing prowess a DIY handbook that champions the sage investment wisdom of John C. Bogle."

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning (from the back page by Jonathan Clements): "Each chapter may have its own author, yet all have been molded by the remarkable Bogleheads community, resulting in a wonderful book that offers readers a slew of practical suggestions and a hefty serving of carefully calibrated advice." All royalties are donated to The National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, PA.

The Bogleheads Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio: "Shows you how to get better returns than the majority of professional advisors with just three index funds and a buy-and-hold strategy." All royalties are donated to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “It is the power of words and books—explaining and dramatizing great ideas and articulating high ideals—that is the greatest weapon in the missionary’s arsenal.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: The Bogleheads' Guides -- An ideal Christmas gift.

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:01 pm

^^^ To be clear on the above post, members may include referral links in support of the forum. See: No Solicitation
Members may not post affiliate or referral links, except affiliate links in support of the forum, or ask for referrals.
The links contain the bogleheads.org referral code as "?tag=bogleheads.org-20". It's the same referral code as the Amazon link at the top of the page.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:16 pm

I gave "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" to my two nephews and a niece for a Christmas present one year when they were in there early 20s.

They live in different part of the country and I don't have much contact with them but a few years later I did hear from their Dad that one of them was talking over things like IRAs with him and he was asking about index funds and some of the other things in the book. At least one of them actually read it and it seems to have done some good.

I also gave my son a copy one year and he has read it and has asked some good questions about investing.

stufunds

Post by stufunds » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Thank you Taylor,

I just received an invitation to a friend's daughter's (one year?) birthday party. Enclosed with the invitation was an Edward Jones postcard suggesting a donation to the child's 529 Education Savings Account at Edward Jones.

I bought my friend the Kindle versions of The Second Edition of The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning instead.

Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,

-- stufunds
Save Early, Save Often

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:41 pm

I include a copy of "If You Can" with every high school graduation gift. It's a short and easy read.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:44 pm

stufunds wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 pm
I just received an invitation to a friend's daughter's (one year?) birthday party. Enclosed with the invitation was an Edward Jones postcard suggesting a donation to the child's 529 Education Savings Account at Edward Jones.
Education is very important, but that is VERY tacky (and I'm not saying that mainly because of Edward Jones). Why stop there? Why not also ask for contributions for the child's future health care, mortgage, car, etc.? :shock:

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:18 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:01 pm
^^^ To be clear on the above post, members may include referral links in support of the forum. See: No Solicitation
Members may not post affiliate or referral links, except affiliate links in support of the forum, or ask for referrals.
The links contain the bogleheads.org referral code as "?tag=bogleheads.org-20". It's the same referral code as the Amazon link at the top of the page.
Can a link to ANY investing book using that tag be posted on the forum? :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course