Vanguard and basketball

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
asset_chaos

Vanguard and basketball

Post by asset_chaos » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:11 am

I'm watching the Oregon-Memphis college basketball game, and just after halftime it happens that the first half stats are brought to me by Vanguard---and the logo is definitely that of the Vanguard mutual fund company.

I watch a lot of college hoops, and this is the first time I've ever seen Vanguard advertising. In fact, I think it's the first time I've ever seen Vanguard advertising on TV. It's odd, but I'm unclear on how advertising on an ESPN marquee game lowers costs.

Anyway, it was unusual enough to comment on.
Regards, | | Guy

RickBoglehead

Re: Vanguard and basketball

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 am

asset_chaos wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:11 am
It's odd, but I'm unclear on how advertising on an ESPN marquee game lowers costs.

Anyway, it was unusual enough to comment on.
Advertising is not designed to lower costs as you know. Customer acquisition marketing increases the customer base, which increases revenues and divides fixed costs over a larger base, and creates efficiencies.

Vanguard has no responsibility to get approval from shareholders for ad placement to my knowledge.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:06 am

Just wait for their wacky, high-budget Super Bowl ad. :twisted:
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:16 am

I also saw a Vanguard ad while watching a college basketball game this past weekend, though it was on Fox Sports Midwest Plus. I was kind of surprised to see it, but I understand the need for it.

Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:18 am

I'm a college football junkie.

I've been seeing A LOT of Vanguard TV ads all season. Well actually, just one ad, over and over and over and over again. Especially on CBS during the 3:30pm EST SEC game.

It doesn't help that it's incredibly irritating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiPHXDf0xUs

firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:37 am

Same here. College football is the only commercials TV I ever watch. there are a lot of annuity commercials this year.
A fool and your money are soon partners

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 am

:shock: I'm shocked, shocked to find Vanguard Marketing Corporation doing marketing ;)
The mutual funds that own Vanguard do so for the services it provides... among them, marketing. Funds want to grow there AUM, which has benefits for the fund owners by way of lower costs (fixed costs spread over a larger base).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

EyeDee

Vanguard Advertising Budget

Post by EyeDee » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:25 am

Since Vanguard has about $5 Trillion in assets under management, even if it only spends half of a basis point (0.005% or 0.00005) on advertising to grow its customer/asset base upon which to spread costs, it would be spending $250 Million a year on advertising.
Randy

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:49 am

I see from this thread it's happening during college sports, I seem to have missed it in the professional sports I watch (NFL, PGA Tour). I'll keep an eye out.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Will be interesting to see if they advertise on any Big East games (Fox Sports Network), including games of their neighbor, Villanova.

Go Friars!
Friar1610

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:35 pm

They should advertise during tennis matches. That's a demographic with some $$$.

Edit: And apparently Hockey, according to this: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... ns/283626/

edgeagg

Post by edgeagg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:59 pm

I'd love to see a Bogleheads ad:

Don't do anything, just stand there. Can show the portfolio growth and miracle of compounding

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Carlos Danger wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:18 am

I've been seeing A LOT of Vanguard TV ads all season. Well actually, just one ad, over and over and over and over again. Especially on CBS during the 3:30pm EST SEC game.

We watch tons of college FB but I don't recall seeing that. The tune sounds familiar. But we pretty much dvr all of the games and FF through commercials.

venkman

Post by venkman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:14 pm

I'm not strictly opposed to Vanguard doing modest amounts of advertising to bring in more assets, but it might be nice if they fixed all their current customer service issues before actively trying to increase their customer base.

Topic Author
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:55 am

Carlos Danger wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:18 am

Yikes, that is annoying. At least the hoops ad placement was just one brief mention of the name.
Regards, | | Guy