"The High Cost of Investment Expenses and Emotions"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The High Cost of Investment Expenses and Emotions"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Bogleheads:

Excellent AARP article by Boglehead Allan Roth:

The High Cost of Investment Expenses and Emotions

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "You get what you don't pay for."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

afan

Re: "The High Cost of Investment Expenses and Emotions"

Post by afan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:07 pm

So they assumed that all purchases and sales were for market timing? None was saving as money came in? None was selling when cash was needed? None was rebalancing?
Did they attempt to isolate market timing moves from the other reasons that could lead to trading?
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm

afan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:07 pm
So they assumed that all purchases and sales were for market timing? None was saving as money came in? None was selling when cash was needed? None was rebalancing?
Did they attempt to isolate market timing moves from the other reasons that could lead to trading?
Are you simply wanting to argue? It appears so as your questions are phrased as such.

It was few paragraphs saying that market timing bad, low expense and stay the course good with some data to back it up.

I'm good with that.

Cheers

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing Taylor.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."