Combine rollover IRA’s

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Combine rollover IRA’s

Post by airahcaz »

Have two rollover IRA’s from having rolled over 2 previous 401Ks (different employers). Any reason to combine vs keep separate? (Traditional, not Roth)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
David Jay

Re: Combine rollover IRA’s

Post by David Jay »

No reason not to combine (for simplicity).

It may make sense to keep a rollover segregated from an account with contributions for reasons of ERISA protection or you want to roll the money back into a 401K or TSP.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
shess

Post by shess »

David Jay wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 pm No reason not to combine (for simplicity).

It may make sense to keep a rollover segregated from an account with contributions for reasons of ERISA protection or you want to roll the money back into a 401K or TSP.
These days some 401k plans allow you to roll in funds from traditional IRA accounts, but IMHO keeping your rollover account separate is probably a good just-in-case thing.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Both accounts are rollover, no further contributions
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

airahcaz wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:08 am Both accounts are rollover, no further contributions
There is no reason you cannot combine them, as has been stated.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
DivesEtPauper

Post by DivesEtPauper »

I had this same scenario. Some years back, I left a job and rolled a 401k into a traditional IRA. Some years after that, did the same thing again, so I ended up with two traditional IRA accounts, with two different companies.

Over the years there were various mergers, and I ended up with both IRAs at a single company (Invesco, I think it was), though they still treated it as two accounts. A few years after that, I transferred the whole thing to Vanguard, so I now have one traditional IRA (different funds of course). Had a little hassle due to minor name differences (missing a middle initial on the one account), but ultimately worked just fine.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

If a roll both to a 401K, I should be eligible for backdoor Roth IRA again?
shess

Post by shess »

airahcaz wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:22 am If a roll both to a 401K, I should be eligible for backdoor Roth IRA again?
To the extent that you have no other traditional IRA funds.

My point about rolling in traditional IRA funds is that I was in a plan which allowed this, so I used that option to shift all of my pre-tax IRA funds to the 401k so I could do backdoor Roth.