Funds Missing from Vanguard Funds List

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
EyeDee

Funds Missing from Vanguard Funds List

Post by EyeDee » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Has anyone else noticed that Vanguard Global ex-U.S. Real Estate Index Fund Admiral Shares (VGRLX) is missing from the Vanguard mutual fund list found at:

Vanguard Mutual Funds List

I have tried adjusting the filter to have all funds but I cannot get it to show up.

The ETF version VNQI shows in the ETF list.

It makes sense that the Investor shares might not show up, but the Admiral Shares not showing up does not make sense to me.

Any recommendations on adjustments in filtering to get it to show up would be appreciated.

Edit: I heard from Vanguard. They said:

". . . I was told this was a business decision by Vanguard not to add the fund to vanguard.com due to the volatility, and risk of the fund. Vanguard doesn't want a uneducated client to invest in the fund without understanding the risk.

With that said you can locate the fund on the "Financial professionals" site. . . ."

I find this very disappointing. Although I prefer to pay the 0.25% Purchase Fee and 0.25% Redemption Fee to having the hassles of using the ETF version, I was hoping the fund size and activity would eventually get large enough to have the fees dropped. That does not seem to be very likely now.

Edit: To make Subject more generic so could add post about additional funds:

Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund Admiral Shares (VHYAX)

Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index Fund Admiral Shares (VDADX) .
Last edited by EyeDee on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randy

Duckie

Re: Global ex-U.S. RE Missing from Funds List

Post by Duckie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 pm

EyeDee wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Vanguard Global ex-U.S. Real Estate Index Fund Admiral Shares (VGRLX) is missing from the Vanguard mutual fund list
<snip>
Any recommendations on adjustments in filtering to get it to show up would be appreciated.
Under "Fees & Minimums" VGRLX shows nothing under "Initial minimum". It is possible that since that area has a dash, not dollar amounts, and the search filter starts with $1,000 for Fund minimums, that because of the dash it doesn't fit the filter. If this is the issue, then it is not something you can fix. Vanguard would need to correct the page.

Topic Author
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 pm

The original post has been updated with information from Vanguard.
Randy

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm

Hmmm that's very strange. Their reasoning makes sense I guess, but then again why not apply it to other funds as well?

Topic Author
EyeDee

Re: Funds Missing from Vanguard Funds List

Post by EyeDee » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:20 am

It now appears that the funds below are missing from the Vanguard Retail Funds list. Based upon the response I got from Vanguard that was added to the original post, I wonder if it is worth asking about these. Maybe these are just mistakes and will be back soon or maybe this is a trend and there are more added later or more that I have just not noticed yet.

Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund Admiral Shares (VHYAX)

Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index Fund Admiral Shares (VDADX)

-----
And no I do not own all the funds mentioned.
Randy

dru808

Post by dru808 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:05 pm

They do the same with a bunch of their etfs, hide them from individual investors.
Last edited by dru808 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:19 pm

dru808 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:05 pm
They do the same with a bunch of their etfs, hide them from individual investors.
From the FIRST Vanguard webpage, select "institutional" investors, and then scroll down to (fine print) "all investments).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 pm

I'd attribute it to Vanguard's low cost strategy. They do not want to provide customer support to independent investors who have too many choices in investment products. By taking the product off their website they don't have to support it for retail customers. Customers who use advisors pay fees and the advisor provides customer support. Advisors and institutional investors can bring in assets to Vanguard that lowers everyone's costs.

As a long term independent investor at Vanguard I'm happy with that approach. Give me low costs and I'll pay for any extras I need.

Topic Author
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Two more that appear to be gone from list:

Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFSAX)

Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFWAX)
Randy

Makefile

Post by Makefile » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 pm

That VFWAX (FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund Admiral Shares) is widely used for tax loss harvesting from Total International Stock, no?

So is this just a matter of not advertising those funds requiring a retail investor to search for them by name, or actually detering retail investments in those somehow?

I wouldn't think anything of it other than the minimum investment is just -- as others mentioned. There is still a "Buy" button, though.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm

EyeDee wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 pm

These are shown (searchable by symbol or name) on the regular "institutional" list that is easily available to anyone (no sign-in needed) if one looks at the "Institutional Investor" subsection.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm

It just makes me want to invest in these secret funds all the more.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Dude2 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm
It just makes me want to invest in these secret funds all the more.
Ah, the forbidden fruit. This might be a very clever marketing strategy. It also makes me think of the Groucho Marx quote, "I would not join a club that would have me as a member."
A fool and his money are good for business.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:41 am

EyeDee wrote:

When I click the link from the first post, using a desktop computer, I see VGRLX, VDADX, VFSAX and VFWAX in the list.
No VHYAX, but I do get VIHAX (International High Dividend Yield Index Admiral Shares).

VHYAX is the only one of these without a minimum investment, something Duckie noted about VGRLX upthread, but now does show a minimum. Perhaps Vanguard is updating minimums.

RAchip

Post by RAchip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 am

VUSXX does not seem to be listed either.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 am

RAchip wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 am
VUSXX does not seem to be listed either.
That has a $50K minimum and no Investor/Admiral shares.

Topic Author
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 pm

rkhusky,
Yes the funds are back! They were not the last time I checked. Thanks.

It might be related to minimums, but based upon the Admiral version being back and the investor versions still being removed (even when explicitly requesting investor shares be listed), I think it was a problem in dropping the Investor versions from the list. My guess is that when they tried to drop the Investor versions of some funds from the list, they got both the Admiral and Investor versions.

An IT issue dropping Investor shares from the list makes much more sense to me than the original explanation I received considering the number of funds involved.
rkhusky wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:41 am
EyeDee wrote:

When I click the link from the first post, using a desktop computer, I see VGRLX, VDADX, VFSAX and VFWAX in the list.
No VHYAX, but I do get VIHAX (International High Dividend Yield Index Admiral Shares).

VHYAX is the only one of these without a minimum investment, something Duckie noted about VGRLX upthread, but now does show a minimum. Perhaps Vanguard is updating minimums.
Randy