Episode 014: Bogleheads on Investing - guest Chris Mamula, host Rick Ferri

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Episode 014: Bogleheads on Investing - guest Chris Mamula, host Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am

Chris Mamula is the lead co-author of the ChooseFI book and a financial writer for Can I Retire Yet? In this in-depth interview, Chris explains how the FIRE movement developed (Financial Independence Retire Early), and how the principles of traditional retirement planning, combined with creative lifestyle design, allowed him to retire early from a career as a physical therapist at age 41, and pursue his passion for teaching others about financial independence.

Episode 014: Bogleheads on Investing - guest Chris Mamula

Enjoy the interview - I did!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Re: Episode 014: Bogleheads on Investing - guest Chris Mamula, host Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Here is a link to the ChooseFI podcast website.

https://www.choosefi.com/podcast-episodes/

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

thankyouverymuch

Post by thankyouverymuch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Thank you very much for the excellent series of podcasts. I’ve listened to all of them. They have all been informative and entertaining. I’m new to the Bogleheads, and these podcasts have been a great introduction. Thanks!!

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 am

Rick Ferri wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am
Chris Mamula is the lead co-author of the ChooseFI book and a financial writer for Can I Retire Yet? In this in-depth interview, Chris explains how the FIRE movement developed (Financial Independence Retire Early), and how the principles of traditional retirement planning, combined with creative lifestyle design, allowed him to retire early from a career as a physical therapist at age 41, and pursue his passion for teaching others about financial independence.

Rick Ferri
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but it seems he switched careers rather than retired. But I guess that isn't as sexy as saying you retired.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:08 am

goblue100 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 am
Rick Ferri wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am

Rick Ferri
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but it seems he switched careers rather than retired. But I guess that isn't as sexy as saying you retired.
The generation gap beliefs about FI and the FIRE movement is one of the main reasons I wanted to have Chris on the show.

FI is a lot more than retiring; in fact, the community is not talking about retiring in the classic sense.

You should listen to the podcast and you'll hear what it's all about. Mainstream FIRE is a philosophy that's closely aligned with Boglehead beliefs.

Rick

Horton

Post by Horton » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Good podcast. I enjoyed the conversation. I thought Chris did a good job of framing the discussion in terms of FI rather than solely FIRE. The point is to find your purpose and pursue it.
🏃 since 2005

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm

"The generation gap beliefs about FI and the FIRE movement is one of the main reasons I wanted to have Chris on the show.

FI is a lot more than retiring; in fact, the community is not talking about retiring in the classic sense.

You should listen to the podcast and you'll hear what it's all about. Mainstream FIRE is a philosophy that's closely aligned with Boglehead beliefs."

Thank you! Excellent podcast.

I actually was exposed to a lot of FIRE podcasts and blogs before I "stumbled" upon the BH site so kind of backwards (e.g. MMM, Karsten (Big ERN), Choose FI, Vicki Robin, et al.)

I agree there is a lot of overlap between the BH/FIRE communities as well and lots to learn from each other. I especially relate to the FI focus on your own personal values.

I'll look forward to more interaction in the podcast arena and blogosphere between the BH’s and the FIRE community. I also enjoy White Coat Investor's podcast and know there's some crossover there as well. :happy