Short Selling Stocks was Invented as Revenge

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Short Selling Stocks was Invented as Revenge

Post by retiredjg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 am

This is a fun video. I have no idea how accurate it is.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019 ... as-revenge
Last edited by retiredjg on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Short Selling Stocks was Invented as Revenge

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks! Very high production value. Someone had a lot of money to make this under 7 minute video. Maybe from short selling?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:56 am

The video is entertaining, but glosses over the fact that short selling has a number of risks you need to be aware of. Mainly, there are a lot of extra costs and you could lose up-to your entire investment if the stock price rises.

The wiki has some background info: Short selling stock

The Investopedia video is accurate: Short Selling
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am

What a wonderful video! A little bit of investing value, but a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Thanks for sharing.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am

I regard Planet Money as a reliable source. I think it's solid despite the everyday language and informal tone.

They do love to "personalize" things, e.g when they were talking about the Swiss franc and the Euro, they opened with (they said) someone in Switzerland literally bringing one Swiss franc into a storefront currency exchange business and exchanging it for euros.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

fposte

Post by fposte » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 am

Very enjoyable. It seems strongly influenced by Drunk History, but that’s a good thing.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 am

fposte wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 am
Very enjoyable. It seems strongly influenced by Drunk History, but that’s a good thing.
It's right up there (or down) with "Drunk History" and, IMO, just as well done, but with a more useful message about the perils of short selling.
"John Bogle has changed a basic industry in the optimal direction. Of very few can this be said." ~Paul A. Samuelson