Good housing market site for Southern California

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Tigermoose

Good housing market site for Southern California

Post by Tigermoose » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 am

I would like to find a good website that has decent even handed analysis about the southern California housing market. Not doom and gloom, but also not pollyannish. Reality based on par with Bogleheads would be fantastic! I am not just looking for Zillow or Redfin, but a site with articles and commentary and perhaps even a message board.

Does anyone know of one of these?
Institutions matter

LilyFleur

Re: Good housing market site for Southern California

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Tigermoose wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 am
I would like to find a good website that has decent even handed analysis about the southern California housing market. Not doom and gloom, but also not pollyannish. Reality based on par with Bogleheads would be fantastic! I am not just looking for Zillow or Redfin, but a site with articles and commentary and perhaps even a message board.

No. But my real estate agent, based in coastal southern California, says that real estate is like the stock market, and you need to buy and hold. A lot of us retired BHs have done that in southern California with success. This will be much more difficult for younger folks as it is so very pricey now.

willardx

Post by willardx » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:30 pm

https://www.piggington.com/

I found this site when the real estate bubble was deflating around 2007. I haven't read it in a while and it focuses on San Diego, but maybe you can find useful info on it.

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 pm

https://la.curbed.com/ has some good articles about the SoCal housing market

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 pm

I doubt you will find unbiased info. Doom and Gloom is good for ad revenue.

But if you have a 10 year horizon, you sold be fine. I don't think SoCal housing is expensive. It's not cheap, but I don't see a bubble. And this is from a guy that sold his house in 2006 and rented it back.... Until it went into foreclosure.

Compared to Asia and Europe, even SF is cheap right now. Not that I recommend buying in SF. But SoCal is even cheaper.

What specific questions do you have?

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:34 am

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/61 ... tate-forum

Many hustlers on biggerpockets tho. What are your questions. If you dont live in SoCal I dont see why youd want to do this

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 am

Tigermoose wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 am

Calculated Risk and the blogs it links to.

CR is the go to for up to date information & analysis re US housing market.