Fidelity Full View recent improvements

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Fidelity Full View recent improvements

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

I originally tried using Fidelity Full View around December 2018 or so and ran into many problems. However I just tried it again now and immediately saw three very significant improvements since my last attempt:

1. It now works with the Safari browser on a Mac.

Previously I got a cryptic error every time I tried Safari and ultimately contacted support who said that browser wasn't supported. I had to use Firefox to just get the website to load. No longer.

2. Fidelity Rewards Credit Card accounts are now supported.

I just added my Fidelity Elan account and my two Fidelity rewards credit cards were discovered and added without any problems. These Fidelity Credit Cards weren't supported before.

3. The login and overall experience is much more integrated into the main fidelity.com website.

IIRC there used to be a separate login needed for Full View, and/or login wasn't transparent between Full View and the rest of fidelity.com. (I forget the details here.) What I just saw was a seamless experience and much more integrated. I logged into fidelity.com, clicked on Full View in one of the drop down menus, and Full View loaded without me having to do anything else. That said the integration isn't perfect - in particular the look and feel of Full View isn't the same as the rest of fidelity.com. It's a little jarring, so there is more work for them to do here, but it is perfectly usable.

Overall I am very pleased with the progress I just saw. I am a longtime Fidelity Private Client customer, no affiliation with Fidelity or Full View otherwise, that has all the investment accounts under my control consolidated at Fidelity. (My 401k and employer stock plan are at different providers, nothing I can do there). I use YNAB for budgeting and while I've used Personal Capital on and off over the years to track overall assets I stopped using it, for a variety of reasons, and currently use a spreadsheet.

However I'm now planning to spend some time setting up all my accounts in Full View and start using it for the overall picture. Even though it was basically unusable last time I checked, Fidelity seems to be investing (no pun intended) in improving it.

Have others been using Full View recently? Any recent experiences to share? In particular what are the big remaining gotchas or downsides?
informal guide

Re: Fidelity Full View recent improvements

Post by informal guide »

I just have a perhaps irrational concern with anyone at Fidelity knowing about my non-Fidelity assets. I don't have that concern at Vanguard, using the Yodlee functionality for outside assets.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I’m not interested in giving my username and password to an account aggregator program. That seems very dangerous to me. Capital one bank ceo said they had a security breach due to a missing software patch and it will not cost them approximately 150 million.

I love the concept, not the implementation.

https://www.capitalone.com/facts2019/
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

Based on this thread, I tried FullView again (have a Mac). Very pleasantly surprised to see how well it works now! I had to reverify an outside account at Vanguard, and then everything was fine. Have no qualms about linking my handful of outside accounts. I have confidence Fidelity is as safe or safer than most. Plan to cross reference its results with Personal Capital; if there are no major advantages to the latter, I'll discontinue.
Cheers!
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

penumbra wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:42 pm Based on this thread, I tried FullView again (have a Mac). Very pleasantly surprised to see how well it works now! I had to reverify an outside account at Vanguard, and then everything was fine. Have no qualms about linking my handful of outside accounts. I have confidence Fidelity is as safe or safer than most. Plan to cross reference its results with Personal Capital; if there are no major advantages to the latter, I'll discontinue.
Cheers!
Good call. Looks good enough for me. I went ahead and deleted my personal capital account. Just wish they had a phone app for Full View.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

penumbra wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:42 pm Based on this thread, I tried FullView again (have a Mac). Very pleasantly surprised to see how well it works now! I had to reverify an outside account at Vanguard, and then everything was fine. Have no qualms about linking my handful of outside accounts. I have confidence Fidelity is as safe or safer than most. Plan to cross reference its results with Personal Capital; if there are no major advantages to the latter, I'll discontinue.
Cheers!
Security is definitely a concern with these aggregators. My guess is Fidelity's computer security teams put together are larger than Personal Capital's entire company. Nothing is foolproof but I'm more comfortable with Fidelity providing this service for me, where I already have much of my investments, rather than adding another provider to the mix.
mervinj7 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 pm Good call. Looks good enough for me. I went ahead and deleted my personal capital account. Just wish they had a phone app for Full View.
For me to switch to Full View for budgeting they would definitely need to add a mobile app. I hope this is on their roadmap. Given the amount of work they did/have to do to shore up the main site I expect it'll be a long time coming.
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

I have used full view for several years. It does allow me to link my Citi and Capital One accounts. But for some reason both Citi and Capital One does not allow full view to pull my account information into full view.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

golfer292 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 am I have used full view for several years. It does allow me to link my Citi and Capital One accounts. But for some reason both Citi and Capital One does not allow full view to pull my account information into full view.
Even recently? That's really surprising, I haven't heard of Citi and Capital One blocking their accounts to aggregators. Is this a problem on the Fidelity side or Citi/Capital One side, have you called support?
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

Wiggums wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm I’m not interested in giving my username and password to an account aggregator program. That seems very dangerous to me. Capital one bank ceo said they had a security breach due to a missing software patch and it will not cost them approximately 150 million.

I love the concept, not the implementation.

https://www.capitalone.com/facts2019/
+1
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:03 pm
golfer292 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 am I have used full view for several years. It does allow me to link my Citi and Capital One accounts. But for some reason both Citi and Capital One does not allow full view to pull my account information into full view.
Even recently? That's really surprising, I haven't heard of Citi and Capital One blocking their accounts to aggregators. Is this a problem on the Fidelity side or Citi/Capital One side, have you called support?
System Must have been down earlier today. I was able to link both a few minutes ago. And then I deleted my mint account. Like Fidelity much better.
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

For what I use it for I definitely prefer Personal Capital over Fidelity's Full View.

I'm not worried about anybody knowing my passwords and userid's since all of my accounts have 2FA. (I could post my Vanguard user-id and password on this board... good luck logging in with just that info.)

I find Personal Capital's expense and income tracking more accurate than Full View and easier to change when transactions are incorrectly categorized.

PC accurately totals my taxes paid, Full View does not.

As for income, Full View treats most transfers from an external account into another account as income. I don't want that to happen (it's not income).

Also, unless I'm missing something, it's a lot easier to correct or re-categorize transactions with PC. It has a mass-edit feature, so I can change a complete set of transactions with one edit. I could not find that feature on Full View. Moreover, I believe PC is smart enough so that when a new transaction arrives that is the same type as a re-categorized transaction, the new transaction is correctly recorded.
Trade the news and you will lose.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm For what I use it for I definitely prefer Personal Capital over Fidelity's Full View.

I'm not worried about anybody knowing my passwords and userid's since all of my accounts have 2FA. (I could post my Vanguard user-id and password on this board... good luck logging in with just that info.)

I find Personal Capital's expense and income tracking more accurate than Full View and easier to change when transactions are incorrectly categorized.

As for income, Full View treats most transfers from an external account into another account as income. I don't want that to happen (it's not income).

Also, unless I'm missing something, it's a lot easier to correct or re-categorize transactions with PC. It has a mass-edit feature, so I can change a complete set of transactions with one edit. I could not find that feature on Full View. Moreover, I believe PC is smart enough so that when a new transaction arrives that is the same type as a re-categorized transaction, the new transaction is correctly recorded.
This is very useful, I’ll look out for these issues as I start using full view. Thanks for posting.
ThereAreNoGurus

You are welcome, but please keep us posted as well.

Hopefully these products keep leap-frogging each other and keep improving.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm You are welcome, but please keep us posted as well.
Deal! :)
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm Hopefully these products keep leap-frogging each other and keep improving.
Agreed. There's a ton of opportunity here and I hope these products improve rapidly.
ThereAreNoGurus

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm You are welcome, but please keep us posted as well.
Deal! :)
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm Hopefully these products keep leap-frogging each other and keep improving.
Agreed. There's a ton of opportunity here and I hope these products improve rapidly.
Well, now I'm using Fidelity Full View for expense tracking. About a week ago PC lost the ability to connect to one of my banks, yet Full View connects just fine. I briefly tried Mint. It connects, but I don't care for its expense tracking section. Full View could use some enhancements, but it's pretty good.

I sent a note to PC support. They bumped-up my problem to their engineers, but have not heard back yet.

I contacted Vanguard to hook me up to their account aggregator (out of curiosity). Support person said it would take 3 weeks to set me up...lol... I'm on week 2 now.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

It certainly appears that Fidelity is continuing to invest in Full View, and is making users very aware of those improvements.

When I logged in today I got a popup with information about new filtering and exporting features as well as a link to a PDF with more information on recent improvements:
https://content.emaplan.com/knowledgeba ... ements.pdf

It feels to me like they are (thankfully) still trying to make up goodwill that was lost with the messy migration - which is good. It still isn't close to replacing YNAB for me for budgeting, but I'm experimenting with it for overall reporting. Happy to see the positive trend, for sure.
am

Post by am »

I have also been pleasantly surprised at how well it works for net worth and spending tallies. Only thing is that it does not update the accounts regularly so I have to go in and do it manually. It also does not evaluate my investments the way I like, I prefer portfolio Watch at vanguard.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

I'm also pleased with the improvements. My previous experience was that it did not update my outside accounts quickly enough - sometimes took days, and the excuse I was given was about Fidelity not wanting to log into those accounts during peak hours. Now, it updates almost everything when I log in except for accounts with 2FA. But I found I can update those quickly in Full View on the Organizer/Accounts page. Only real complaint now is that it still takes a while for all Full View updates to be reflected in Portfolio View, which has always been my start page.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
brcarls

Post by brcarls »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm As for income, Full View treats most transfers from an external account into another account as income. I don't want that to happen (it's not income).
You have to invest a few seconds in letting Full View know which are income and which are transfers. You can even check a box to set a rule for all future similar transactions .
You are missing the checkbox to create a rule when you change a classification of a transaction.
ThereAreNoGurus

brcarls wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm As for income, Full View treats most transfers from an external account into another account as income. I don't want that to happen (it's not income).
You have to invest a few seconds in letting Full View know which are income and which are transfers. You can even check a box to set a rule for all future similar transactions .
You are missing the checkbox to create a rule when you change a classification of a transaction.
Some time has passed since that post. I did find the checkbox to create rules. However, I have been using Personal Capital to track my expenses and cash flow the last few months It's greatly improved. And am now using Vanguard as an aggregator to track net worth and asset allocation (I also use Morningstar for a quick net worth view).
am

Post by am »

DiploInvestor wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 pm I'm also pleased with the improvements. My previous experience was that it did not update my outside accounts quickly enough - sometimes took days, and the excuse I was given was about Fidelity not wanting to log into those accounts during peak hours. Now, it updates almost everything when I log in except for accounts with 2FA. But I found I can update those quickly in Full View on the Organizer/Accounts page. Only real complaint now is that it still takes a while for all Full View updates to be reflected in Portfolio View, which has always been my start page.
Yes same here. The accounts at login take a while to update even if I update manually in full view. No way I know to manually update the account balances on login?
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

am wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 pm
DiploInvestor wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 pm I'm also pleased with the improvements. My previous experience was that it did not update my outside accounts quickly enough - sometimes took days, and the excuse I was given was about Fidelity not wanting to log into those accounts during peak hours. Now, it updates almost everything when I log in except for accounts with 2FA. But I found I can update those quickly in Full View on the Organizer/Accounts page. Only real complaint now is that it still takes a while for all Full View updates to be reflected in Portfolio View, which has always been my start page.
Yes same here. The accounts at login take a while to update even if I update manually in full view. No way I know to manually update the account balances on login?
Yup, that's the issue. You update manually in Full View, but then have to wait for it to replicate to Portfolio (hours?) later...
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
am

Post by am »

DiploInvestor wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 pm
am wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Yup, that's the issue. You update manually in Full View, but then have to wait for it to replicate to Portfolio (hours?) later...
One other issue is that my bitcoin holdings are listed on login but there is no way to link Coinbase or Coinbase pro on full view.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Wiggums wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm I’m not interested in giving my username and password to an account aggregator program.
I agree. I did not work and save and invest my whole life to hand over the keys to my investments to a third party aggregator. There are only two entities in the world who know my account username and password... the account provider and me.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm I'm not worried about anybody knowing my passwords and userid's since all of my accounts have 2FA. (I could post my Vanguard user-id and password on this board... good luck logging in with just that info.)
I don't understand this view. To me that's like saying... I'm not worried about giving strangers the keys to my front door because I have a second deadbolt that I lock from the inside, so good luck getting into my house with just the front door key.
am

Post by am »

What could a criminal do with all your login info to vanguard? How could they empty your account when making most changes requires paperwork or at least a phone call into vanguard with verification? Many times I can’t even make changes easily and I’m the owner.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

am wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:49 pm What could a criminal do with all your login info to vanguard? How could they empty your account when making most changes requires paperwork or at least a phone call into vanguard with verification? Many times I can’t even make changes easily and I’m the owner.
I agree it would be hard for a criminal to make damaging changes with my login info because their actions would trigger an email or other notification and it would probably be caught before too much damage were done. It would also be hard if I have 2 factor authentication. But your missing the point... I don't want it to be hard for a criminal to access my money, I want it to be impossible...just because there are several layers of protection between a criminal and my retirement savings does not mean I am going to voluntarily give away one of the most important layers to strangers and make their job easier. I want more layers of protection, not less.
Last edited by mptfan on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

informal guide wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 pm I just have a perhaps irrational concern with anyone at Fidelity knowing about my non-Fidelity assets. I don't have that concern at Vanguard, using the Yodlee functionality for outside assets.
Doesn't Fido use Yodlee too ?

I don't want to give my creds to any online aggregator -- whether it's Fidelity, Vanguard, Quicken Online, Personal Capital etc. Eggs in one basket …
ThereAreNoGurus

mptfan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:47 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm I'm not worried about anybody knowing my passwords and userid's since all of my accounts have 2FA. (I could post my Vanguard user-id and password on this board... good luck logging in with just that info.)
I don't understand this view. To me that's like saying... I'm not worried about giving strangers the keys to my front door because I have a second deadbolt that I lock from the inside, so good luck getting into my house with just the front door key.
Giving a physical key to someone is more risky than a virtual key. Someone with a physical key, upon failure to enter, might be tempted to break a window to gain entry. Not a difficult thing to do. Trying to break-in with 2FA is more challenging. For example with Schwab's physical token, the odds of somebody having the time and ability to hack that, so they could get into my account, is so negligible that I have zero concern about it. Thus using certain aggregators is not a concern of mine. Even if it doubled the risk, twice nothing (or something of ridiculously small probability) is still close enough to nothing for me.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I like the Full View quit a bit. That being said I do not like the new enhancement that now includes cash equivalents (checking/savings) as part of my investments as it screws up my investment allocation report percentages as I don't want my checking/savings included.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

I just started using that fullview.
Now i say my wife to refer this page to see all our debts, investments and cash balances.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm For what I use it for I definitely prefer Personal Capital over Fidelity's Full View.

Hello

I have been using full view for 5+ years , and with the exception of the "update" that rolled out about 24 months ago, my experience has been positive.

I have items that are flagged as income, that I modify as "transfers" and then they show up correctly as money moving about, but not income.

As others have noted you can set up "rules" with the checkbox option on a single line item, then decide if you wish to apply that change/update to all historical and future transactions so that is also not a problem.

As far as the concern about aggregation of login/PW's.. most of my accounts also have a text message feature that sends me a text whenever a transaction (say > $100) occurs... or whenever a "foreign" transaction occurs, or a "card not present" transaction occurs.

So.. even if there was a hack, I would know fairly quickly if something odd was happening.

I have had some issues with my credit union transactions that stopped appearing, but I contacted them , and they identified the issue, and the updates restarted. On occasion you are requested to re-authorize access, but it works with all my credit card and bank accounts.

I like the feature that allows me to "create" a specific spend sub category.. I can then start a project/vacation and allocate spend to that category so I know how much I spent on the project/vacation trip.

Having full view also encourages me to review spend every other week or more often, and be sure I understand how much my better half is spending, and I also "encourage" her to login and review our spend and assets so at least she knows where the assets are, and where our retirement spend is coming from.

Prior to having full view and working full time, I did not really understand how much we spent each month, and how much we saved each month. Now I have a very clean clear picture of that important information at my fingertips.

I like the fact that it automates the asset allocation process, although some of my bond funds show up as "unknown" and I have to do some limited math to add those items in.

When I am no longer around, I can share the access with relatives and they will have a "one stop" shop to see all my assets and spending which is also a lot nicer then some black book somewhere with long complex logins and passwords.

For what it is worth. hope this helps someone.

CPU
DJWaldron

Post by DJWaldron »

I'm still using PC's Retirement Planner model, as the Fidelity Retirement Analysis treats my non-Fidelity 401K investments as "unknown", with no way to edit or change this.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm
Two factor authentication is good for preventing a lookalike website or phishing email from collecting your logon credentials. If you notice, full view works without the two factor authentication. In other words, the back channel that is used by full view does not require 2FA to access your data.

Do you still want to post your ID and password?
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/08/the ... nt-page-1/

Because we have become something of a known quantity with the banks, we’ve set up turning off MFA with many of them,” Costello said. “Many of them are substituting coming from a Yodlee IP or agent as a factor because banks have historically been relying on our security posture to help them out.”

He's talking about banks, but likely the same holds for brokerages ..
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

I removed an off-topic post and reply regarding what can be discussed in this thread. Opposing points of view are welcome, but please stay focused on Fidelity Full View.

Members who disagree with a post's subject matter should report the post using the ! in the top-right corner of the post and explain what's wrong. Do not post in the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

DJWaldron wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 am I'm still using PC's Retirement Planner model, as the Fidelity Retirement Analysis treats my non-Fidelity 401K investments as "unknown", with no way to edit or change this.
Same for me even though it’s 100% NorthernTrust SP500 Index fund. PC does the AA correctly. In November, 2019 PC’s connection to ADP retirement plans is broke. The workaround is to track it in PC as a manual investment.
ThereAreNoGurus

Wiggums wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 am
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 pm
Two factor authentication is good for preventing a lookalike website or phishing email from collecting your logon credentials. If you notice, full view works without the two factor authentication. In other words, the back channel that is used by full view does not require 2FA to access your data.

Do you still want to post your ID and password?
That is a good question. The answer is it now depends...

I stopped using Personal Capital for asset aggregation because it did not present a 2FA challenge for my Vanguard accounts, although it did for Schwab. However I still use it for expense tracking since it does present challenges for my expense accounts.

I asked Personal Capital about that. A support person said I should be challenged and I know they did look into it, but I never heard back. It's been months and I have not been back to see whether it was fixed. I now use Vanguard for asset aggregation since I get the 2FA challenge for Schwab.

I did the same with Fidelity Full View. Ie., removed the asset accounts. I left my expense accounts there, since there is never much money in them, but the lack of a challenge does bother me, but as to whether it's secure, as we have been warned, is not relevant to this thread.

It appears both Full View and PC continue to improve, so I will stay tuned. :happy