Personal Advisor Services rocked today!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Wenonah

Personal Advisor Services rocked today!

Post by Wenonah »

There has been much discussion about the value of PAS here and I just wanted to let you know that we had a great meeting and found out about other services they provide. We found the meeting valuable and very comprehensive as are all of the charts and graphs that we can use to see the likelihood of success. All of our accounts, including outside accounts, are available to us and PAS to see how they come in to play. We are not experts, but clearly not over confident; that being said, we aren't newbies to finances either and have met with other advisors. We were very impressed! (In 2016, my math/science-teacher husband commented that he felt a lot more confident in Vanguard than the fee only financial planner I had hired.)
We discussed:
Asset allocation, dynamic spending, integrating our upcoming pensions, inflation, and several more things.
We were told we can set up a meeting about social security and when to take it.
We told them we were considering an LTC policy and she explained that I can sign up with an advisor who is in that field and he/she will discuss how that will affect my portfolio and how it might look if we "self-insure" before we buy the policy. Thought I would give a real time update for those of you who want/need some advice and guidance and don't want to go it alone.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Personal Advisor Services rocked today!

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks for taking the time to follow through here.
There are never enough real life success stories!

Congratulations :sharebeer
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Wenonah:

Thank you for sharing your experience with Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services (PAS).

One of the reasons I am an advocate of The Three Fund Portfolio and simplicity is that it often eliminates the cost, bad advice, and often the self-serving advice of an adviser. Nevertheless, there are situations when I feel a fee-only adviser can be very helpful (like when moving a hodge-podge of expensive securities to Vanguard and when entering retirement).

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Unless you need a financial adviser to help you get started in that routine, you probably don't need a financial adviser at all.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad that you had a very good meeting.

So often people will post only their bad experiences. It’s refreshing to hear some good too.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I enjoy reading about folks interactions with advisory services. Sounds like Vanguard is doing a good job with their advisory service.
A fool and his money are good for business.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Wenonah wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm There has been much discussion about the value of PAS here and I just wanted to let you know that we had a great meeting and found out about other services they provide. We found the meeting valuable and very comprehensive as are all of the charts and graphs that we can use to see the likelihood of success. All of our accounts, including outside accounts, are available to us and PAS to see how they come in to play. We are not experts, but clearly not over confident; that being said, we aren't newbies to finances either and have met with other advisors. We were very impressed! (In 2016, my math/science-teacher husband commented that he felt a lot more confident in Vanguard than the fee only financial planner I had hired.)
We discussed:
Asset allocation, dynamic spending, integrating our upcoming pensions, inflation, and several more things.
We told them we were considering an LTC policy and she explained that I can sign up with an advisor who is in that field and he/she will discuss how that will affect my portfolio and how it might look if we "self-insure" before we buy the policy. Thought I would give a real time update for those of you who want/need some advice and guidance and don't want to go it alone.
Thanks for the follow up and feedback regarding Vanguard PAS services! Always nice to hear.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Wenonah wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm There has been much discussion about the value of PAS here and I just wanted to let you know that we had a great meeting and found out about other services they provide. We found the meeting valuable and very comprehensive as are all of the charts and graphs that we can use to see the likelihood of success. All of our accounts, including outside accounts, are available to us and PAS to see how they come in to play. We are not experts, but clearly not over confident; that being said, we aren't newbies to finances either and have met with other advisors. We were very impressed! (In 2016, my math/science-teacher husband commented that he felt a lot more confident in Vanguard than the fee only financial planner I had hired.)
We discussed:
As a follow up did Vanguard recommend their Four Fund Portfolio of Total Stock, Total International Stock, Total Bond, and Total International Bond?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Wenonah wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm There has been much discussion about the value of PAS here and I just wanted to let you know that we had a great meeting and found out about other services they provide.
Did you ask her if she is a fiduciary?
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

I am glad Vanguard once again had the vision to start this service (PAS) and shake up the industry and help ordinary investors.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Stinky wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm Thanks for sharing your story. Glad that you had a very good meeting.

So often people will post only their bad experiences. It’s refreshing to hear some good too.
+1...nice to hear some good things.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

I find investing strategy, asset allocation/management, and tax minimization fascinating topics. I have studied and tried to understand these things for decades. My wife however has no interest and little knowledge in these topics. I have told her that if something happens to me, she should get a fee only financial advisor and I have given her a few options, Vanguard among them. Personally, I have a high level of trust in Vanguard in terms of competence, fund offerings, adherence to fiduciary duty, fee structure which will IMO deliver solid value per dollar spent.

Garland Whizzer
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 am
Wenonah wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm There has been much discussion about the value of PAS here and I just wanted to let you know that we had a great meeting and found out about other services they provide.
Did you ask her if she is a fiduciary?
Upon further review;
In addition, Vanguard Personal Advisor Services is held to fiduciary standards under applicable regulations.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

nedsaid wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 pm I enjoy reading about folks interactions with advisory services. Sounds like Vanguard is doing a good job with their advisory service.
Agreed and so do I. In fact I have mentioned to my spouse to not even attempt to figure out the portfolio and to simply call vanguard and enroll in PAS.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

garlandwhizzer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:08 pm I find investing strategy, asset allocation/management, and tax minimization fascinating topics. I have studied and tried to understand these things for decades. My wife however has no interest and little knowledge in these topics. I have told her that if something happens to me, she should get a fee only financial advisor and I have given her a few options, Vanguard among them. Personally, I have a high level of trust in Vanguard in terms of competence, fund offerings, adherence to fiduciary duty, fee structure which will IMO deliver solid value per dollar spent.

Garland Whizzer
My approach is to start with a fee only advisor now so things just continue at my passing. This lets me verify the advisor’s fit before the real need.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:48 pm
nedsaid wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 pm I enjoy reading about folks interactions with advisory services. Sounds like Vanguard is doing a good job with their advisory service.
Agreed and so do I. In fact I have mentioned to my spouse to not even attempt to figure out the portfolio and to simply call vanguard and enroll in PAS.
+1

I've done the same with my spouse.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Yet another “ if I get hit by a bus, call vanguard for PAS” here.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

lostdog wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:25 am
+1

Glad to hear. I think this aspect of spouses managing investments is not discussed enough.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mhalley wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 am Yet another “ if I get hit by a bus, call vanguard for PAS” here.
:beer
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:56 am
+1

Glad to hear. I think this aspect of spouses managing investments is not discussed enough.
It is important.
For those of us who are divorced, bringing our children into the loop is important as well.
I took my most financially astute child to meet my Schwab advisor and open his own brokerage account recently. My advisor had a very good discussion with my son about his financial strategy (emergency savings, student loans, Roth while income is lower, etc.)
I don't pay my advisor 1%. I let him know I like to manage my own money, and once or twice a year, if things change, I check in, and he runs the Schwab proprietary software with Monte Carlo simulations for me and gives me a printout to study at home. He is a fiduciary. I have explained to my son how important that is.
So two things accomplished: my son is starting to think about long-term financial strategy, and he is getting familiar with Schwab, so when my brain starts aging and becomes less sharp, he will be familiar with Schwab and can step in to help protect my assets.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

LilyFleur wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am
abuss368 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:56 am
+1

It is important.
For those of us who are divorced, bringing our children into the loop is important as well.
I took my most financially astute child to meet my Schwab advisor and open his own brokerage account recently. My advisor had a very good discussion with my son about his financial strategy (emergency savings, student loans, Roth while income is lower, etc.)
I don't pay my advisor 1%. I let him know I like to manage my own money, and once or twice a year, if things change, I check in, and he runs the Schwab proprietary software with Monte Carlo simulations for me and gives me a printout to study at home. He is a fiduciary. I have explained to my son how important that is.
So two things accomplished: my son is starting to think about long-term financial strategy, and he is getting familiar with Schwab, so when my brain starts aging and becomes less sharp, he will be familiar with Schwab and can step in to help protect my assets.
That is nice to hear and it appears that you have found a good solution that works for you and your family.
reln

Post by reln »

mhalley wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:25 am Yet another “ if I get hit by a bus, call vanguard for PAS” here.
Lol same here